First of all, let it be known that I work for a 4 star hotel that is Forbes inspected. This place will fail this inspection. This is NOT a 4 star hotel, 2 stars...maybe.
1) Close to the beach: the beach is very nice
2) Pools are nice and warm
3) Rooms have good A/C
4) Staff is sweet, friendly and engaging. If they had more tools at their disposal, this place has a lot of potential.
1) The animation team was not necessary nor essential, just bunch of people making lots of noise, unnecessarily so.
2) THE FOOD IS AWFUL. And I mean, like prison bad, except maybe for breakfast, but how badly could you mess up eggs? And their restaurants suck just as badly. Instead, hail a taxi, go to town, find a shack near the water and you'll be blown away by simple and well-cooked Dominican food
3) They will try to convince that Puerto Plata a dangerous place. It really isn't. We went to the center of the town, people just glanced at you and kept going. Just go to the main road, hail a taxi and it won't be more than 300 pesos to get to the center. Also, don't ask the front desk to get a taxi for you, they'll rip you off. They got us a taxi, told us it won't be more than $35, it ended up costing us $50.
4) Unless you have a deluxe suite or something, the rooms are pretty crummy. My boyfriend and I have traveled to some bad places and stayed in some bad hostels, the rooms look like an average private hostel room.
5) If this place was a 4 star place, as it claims to be, there should be bottled water given at the arrival or at least waiting in the room. You have fetch the water yourself, in these tiny little plastic cups. Since you can't drink their tap water, you need to go out of your room to get it. Its quite inconvenient.
At the end, it is what you make of it. We're not fussy people, so we were fine with most things, but don't expect luxury. Since we also bought this deal on Groupon, we were satisfied. Also, bring a bug spray, TONS OF MOSQUITOS
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- BlueBay Villas Doradas is an Adults Only 24 hour All Inclusive resort in Puerto Plata, was completely refurbished in 2006 providing facilities and rooms of the highest quality. This hotel in Puerto Plata, which is only for the over 18s, is an ideal place for couples to relax or enjoy their honeymoon or wedding. Its location - literally next to the 18-hole Playa Dorada golf course designed by Robert Trent Jones – makes it a favourite among golfers.The hotel’s rooms and suites are equipped to the highest standard, in keeping with the quality of the resort and its recent refurbishment – all include cable TV, mini bars and ironing facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bluebay Villas Doradas Hotel Puerto Plata
- Bluebay Hotel Puerto Plata
- Bluebay Hotel Doradas
- Blue Bay Getaway Villas Doradas
- Blue Bay Getaway Dominican Republic
- BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata