We traveled 4/22/14-4/27/14 and this was the review I wrote to get my refund for the worst vacation ever:
My best friend and I booked this trip all ready for an all inclusive, relaxing week away and that was the furthest thing from what we got. We had a horrific time every single day and I regret every booking a group on getaway.
1. Upon checkin, our room wasn't ready so we had to wait an hour before going to a room. We were forced to sit in the lobby with all our bags and wait in 90 degree heat. When we were finally escorted to a room, it was disgusting and dirty and at the far end of the resort. We tried to settle in, but we couldn't get past the fact that your we site said the rooms were updated in 2006. Our fridge didn't work, the floor was filthy and our bathroom had water all over the floor. When we went down to ask to switch rooms, the man at the front desk (Manolo) told us no problem, but we once again had to wait a ridiculous amount of time in the lobby. Fine. The second room they showed us was exactly like the first room except there was a cockroach on the floor. We asked them to see another room and Manolo gave us keys and told us to go look at it ourselves... We did and it was much better than the first two rooms and way closer to the actual resort than the first. Throughout our trip and meeting people, we heard that the front desk tried to put almost every guest in the first two rooms they had shown us. Why? Its like they were trying to pawn off these rooms on the younger people to save the nicer rooms for the older ones. After all the switching and waiting in the lobby, we didn't actually get to relax until about 6 pm. We had already been there for hours.
2. Room Service. Groupon says they have it. Their website says they have it. However when we went to the front desk to ask about a room service menu, no one knew what we were talking about. We spoke to many different people and finally Manolo decided to help us. He told us room service was not included (at an all inclusive?) and they did not have menus. It was $10 a day and all we had to do was call them with our order of whatever we wanted. So we handed Manolo $40 in cash and looked forward to the next mornings room service. Next morning we called and got transferred between the front desk and the kitchen a million times. No one knew what we were talking about. When we went down to the front desk to settle this, Manolo was there and when we explained our situation, he made us follow him around the resort while he spoke to many different people in spanish. No one seemed to be able to settle the problem, so we asked for our $40 back deciding it would be MUCH easier to just go to the buffet every morning. Manolo looked us dead in the eye with a smile and said "sorry, no refunds". We fought with him for close to a half hour about how thats robbery and we didn't want to pay for a service we weren't getting... let alone thought existed. We even offered to let him transfer the money over to be a massage credit for the massages we were going to get the following day. He refused to refund us our money. All week we spent fighting with him about it until we spoke to a guest services manager on our LAST DAY who tried to talk us out of getting a refund as well. When he felt he couldn't argue with us anymore, he decided to give us our money back. But we had to wait because he had to call Santo Domingo to get it approved. (What? you have to call the capital to refund $40?) Its almost as if he was hoping we would forget. We didn't get our money back until right before we left.
3. Your website says unlimited drinks and alcohol. It was anything but that. The second we walked in and had to wait an eternity for our room, we ordered drinks at the bar in the lobby. The only bar by the way that had top shelf liquor on the resort. We were charged for those drinks because apparently that bar isn't included. Of course we weren't told this before we ordered them.
4. Your website also says that each room has a mini bar stocked with soda and water. Thats true the first day. After that you have to pay for the only drinkable water in the room every time they refill it. Another thing we weren't told.
5. Both your website and their website boast about the swim up bar in the pool at the resort. Ill admit, that was one of the main reasons we decided on this destination. Well, The pool bar was closed for almost two days because they were painting it. And if thats not a huge problem right there, they had all these guys painting the pool with respirators on and paint ands fumes filling the air. It was hard to be anywhere near the center of the resort where the pool and buffet is without feeling like you were dying of paint inhalation.
6. inclusive non motorized sports. Every single all inclusive Ive been to that has said these activities were offered, had them right there on the resort and they have been FREE! thats what inclusive means isn't it? Well not in this case. Everything that was supposed to be included was at LEAST $50 a person and a 2.5 hour bus ride away. We didn't waste our time or our money. We spent the week pissed off that all the things we planned on doing were now unattainable.
7. unlimited dining. Another lie. When we checked in and decided to make our reservations for the 3 restaurants that were included in our package, we were told we could only dine at one because they were full. Again, we spent time arguing with the staff that that was garbage because it was INCLUDED IN WHAT WE PAID. After much arguing, they magically found three open reservations for us at their "all inclusive restaurants". Thats in quotes because it was not what everyone including you made us believe they were. For starters, the food at the fancy restaurants is supposed to be better than the food at the buffet... here, it was worse. Way worse. Also, both the steak and seafood restaurants had about 4 things on the menu and everything else you had to pay for. Please tell me how to rationalize getting a free choice of Mahi Mahi or PASTA at the seafood restaurant... and then having 10 things on the menu that were "seafood-y" that you had to pay upwards of $40 each for... It ridiculous. The only options at the steak restaurant were "rump steak with 2 sauces" and a chicken dish. CHICKEN! when asked what the two sauces were, the waiter replied "a mix of things". WHAT?! Then of course, all the rib eyes and filets you could get for a not so small price. Also, every single wine we tasted was disgusting. Im pretty sure it wasn't even wine. It tasted like vinegar.
8. Sunscreen. We purchased sunscreen at the gift shop the second day (since the first day was a total bust and we didn't even see sunshine from all the room waiting in the lobby) and headed out to the beach. we came back in the room two hours later because we felt we were burning and sure enough, we were totally burnt. The sunscreen was expired and we spent the rest of our trip burnt and blistered hiding in the shady areas of the resort. Which, by the way, were very few and far between. There were about 5 umbrellas at the pool and the beach shady was "reserved for VIP guests" except for a few hay huts which were always taken.
9. The beach. I have never in my life felt so harassed. Every 5 minutes people were coming up to us asking us to buy stuff. When we politely said no thank you, they stood there and stared at us for 10 minutes until the next vendor came to harass us some more. We were offered everything from jewelry to statues to a prostitute. WHAT?! One night the resort even invited these vendors to come sell stuff around the pool during diner time. As if being harassed during the day wasn't enough. These vendors were pushy and rude and didn't leave us alone the entire trip.
10. We did not have room service all week. Yet somewhere, somehow, my best friend lost her brand new book in the room. We asked the front desk about it multiple times and were told "i don't know" or even once to "check the library". when we asked why, we were told that when staff finds things like books, they put it in their personal library. Thats not ok. It should go to a lost and found. It was a brand new $30 book that somehow disappeared right from our room never to be seen again.
11. The shuttle ride to and from the airport and hotel. We were told by the travel agent when booking our group on that the shuttle was only about 30-45 minutes. No big deal. Well that was a lie. A BIG LIE. The trip both ways was 2hours or more through very sketchy areas where people were walking by the bus trying to sell things. It was extremely aggravating.
12. Manolo was hands down the rudest person Ive ever encountered on a vacation. And he works at the front desk! He is the first impression and last impression of the resort and he was terrible and rude. Constantly giving us the run around and not being very hospitable. We asked him and other employees who the hotel manager was numerous times and no one would give it to us. We didn't get her name until when we were leaving at check out and Im pretty sure the only reason we got it was because the person we spoke to was probably new on the job.
13. The spa. My friend and I booked our massages and went in for a relating experience and instead we were tortured. The room was bright (not dim and relaxing like normal spas) and they did not use massage oils or lotions. Instead, they used lava hot oil and without warning us about the temperature, poured it all over us. It was extremely painful. and Im pretty sure that half my blistering was from expired sunscreen and half was from the lava they poured all over my backside. HORRIBLE!
14. I wasn't feeling so good our last day and neither was my friend Laura, but it was the first time ever on a vacation that we were both extremely EXCITED to go home. The two hour shuttle ride, the horrible plane ride that followed... once we landed in NYC we thought our troubles were over, but they weren't. My friend was admitted into the hospital the next day with an infection that the doctors told her was from a dirty pool. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? So not only did we pay an exuberant amount of money for a terrible vacation that was nothing like it was advertised, but my friend was hospitalized because it was filthy.
Never in my life have I felt so duped. Im not a complainer either, but I feel like I was lied to and I spent a ton of money on something that wasn't what you said it was. This money was worked for and this vacation was saved for and it was all a waste and I'm very angry. That was our one vacation we could afford this year and it was a nightmare.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- BlueBay Villas Doradas is an Adults Only 24 hour All Inclusive resort in Puerto Plata, was completely refurbished in 2006 providing facilities and rooms of the highest quality. This hotel in Puerto Plata, which is only for the over 18s, is an ideal place for couples to relax or enjoy their honeymoon or wedding. Its location - literally next to the 18-hole Playa Dorada golf course designed by Robert Trent Jones – makes it a favourite among golfers.The hotel’s rooms and suites are equipped to the highest standard, in keeping with the quality of the resort and its recent refurbishment – all include cable TV, mini bars and ironing facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bluebay Villas Doradas Hotel Puerto Plata
- Bluebay Hotel Puerto Plata
- Bluebay Hotel Doradas
- Blue Bay Getaway Villas Doradas
- Blue Bay Getaway Dominican Republic
- BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata