“I loved my trip and stay at Villas Doradas”

BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
“I loved my trip and stay at Villas Doradas”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This resort is amazing and so are the staff. Yayi is so sweet and personable. She went out of her way to make us feel at home, she is a hard worker and well deserves the credit. Comando, Coca cola, James Bond, Luis Dj and Yokasta are also great staff and hard workers. Raul is doing an excellent job at this location.

2 Thank Jennaisbomb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (813)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

We had a great time at the hotel. Great friendly staff but there's some weird things they're stingy on like towels.

But great value for the buck. And a good balance for people who want some partying with some easy going beach time.

New York, NY
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I just returned from 6 days at BlueBay Villas Doradas. I booked this particular hotel because of all the positive feedback from tripadvisor and enjoyed my stay.

Food: I thought the food was good but felt repetitive after 4 days even though the hotel tries to change up their offerings. I'm from NYC where we have many excellent food options and am somewhat spoiled. I would not say the food is amazing but I was satisfied with what I had. We were only allowed two dinner reservations. I highly recommend booking these dinners asap! Only 2 of the three specialty dining locations are open each night and they fill up fast. I enjoyed El Dorado, the steakhouse, where I ate a nicely prepared chateaubriand while my girlfriend liked her filet steak . I also had dinner at Jade, the oriental fusion restaurant, which had a nice atmosphere but had average food. These restaurants have a long pants policy so be sure to pack a pair. Some guests were refused service because they showed up in shorts. When the buffet is closed, there are snacks at the beach bar which include hot dogs, hamburgers, rice, beans, fried chicken, fries, and a panini grill. There is also a location with a tray of cookies and drinks by the quiet pool by the spa.

Drinks: Presidente is the only beer. The mixed drinks were mainly very sugary with bottom shelf liquor. The bar tenders are very good at preparing the list of 15 or so drinks. I thought it was funny when they would sometimes need a menu to figure out how to make a drink. I recommend the bana mama if you like frozen drinks. Also try the mamajuana.

Activities:
The main attraction of this hotel is the beach. I went to the beach everyday. Getting a bed or shared cabana location was not difficult. Although I read that this is a private beach on previous reviews, you are located on the same stretch of beach as the other major hotels in Puerto Plata. I really disliked the beach vendors who constantly try to sell excursions, hats, sunglasses, bracelets, wood carvings, massages, and other crap. Every 10-15 minutes, I was approached by a different vendor but they left after I said "no thank you". We walked the span of the beach and had no issues leaving our beach bag.

The hotel offers free kayaking, windsurfing, sailing, and snorkeling. You can rent the equipment from the hut on the beach. The first day on the beach there was no attendant at the beach hut so I wasn't able to do any of the activities. I caught the attendant as he was closing up the hut at 4 and he indicated that I could just take out the equipment whenever I wanted. He made me sign a damage waiver but I declined paying a $10 daily charge or $30 weekly insurance charge which is a major rip off. All the equipment is plastic and will not break so don't feel like you need to pay this insurance!

The beach gets very windy in the afternoon so try to do your water sports in the morning. They offer all lessons down the beach. There is a great snorkeling spot if you walk down the beach on your left. Go to the Gran Ventana resort and you can find some amazing reefs.

Many people played volleyball in the pool while others just lounged by the pool bar. Both of the main pools were warm but somewhat shallow. If you want to avoid the noise and music, there is a smaller relaxation pool by the spa.

The entertainment group constantly has a schedule of activities such as dance lessons, sushi making, and bike tours. The night shows were weak but they give you something to do for an hour after dinner.

Room: I was located in building 12. The room was basic and not that important since I spent most of my time outside. The A/C was very cold so I opted just to use the ceiling fan some nights. There was a heavy rainstorm during one night and my room experienced rolling blackouts where all the power would go off (clocks, fans, and A/C turned off). Other than building 12, no other guests experienced these blackouts. It wasn't a big deal and power was fully restored by 9 AM.

Service: Most of the staff at the hotel were very kind and cared about the guests. Remember to take care of your bartenders and tip whenever you experience great service. There are a few timeshare people that are trying to get you to watch a presentation but we were able to avoid them during our stay.

Overall, I had a good experience and am happy I chose this hotel. I had no major sicknesses or issues.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Adam H
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Me and my girlfriend had wonderful time at the blue bay resort. Unforgettable 5 nights filled with fun activities organized by the entertainment crew. The delicious buffets served hot each meal time was delicious. Last but not least the all inclusive drinks by the pool made me feel like I was swimming in a pool filled with alcohol (; overall we enjoyed our stay & hopefully come back this winter.

1 Thank Batukanasan
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed for a weekend with my partner, they have 4 restaurants yes, but what they don't tell you is you have to make reservations and it could only be from 11am to 3:00pm and he takes his lunch between 2:00pm and 3:00pm. When in the lobby they will skip your question to answer the european and american customers over Latinos. Every time you ask a question in the lobby they juggle you around, by the time you get an answer from them you might as well pay for wifi which is 25.00USD per day and very slow. The food is very cheap and generic. The alcohol is that kind that gives you a headache all night. The entertaining is great the guys are very fun and energetic and the restaurant in the beach the servers are very polite and nice... The Pool, beach, and common areas are well keep and beautiful i would recommend it for a budget relaxation trip just be ready to receive 2 start service while they claim is a 4 star resort overall i had a great time thanks to other guest ohh and one last thing... AVOID seeing the concierge or anyone with a white or dark blue polo, ITS TIME SHARE PRESENTATION and it will take over 2 hours

4 Thank Cris9909
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The best moment is with tbe entainment crew , especially Coca cola, James Bond, Yayi, Yo Casta, Comando, Raul and Luis.Together they did a wonderful job, very good entertainment, the ambiance is excellent , food is very good my husband and my self had great time , looking foward to come back again

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank angella152
Miller place
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The staff here are great and definitely know how to make you comfortable. Yayi, "coca cola", and "James Bond" really make the activities fun and the bartenders are great. Stay away from the "flea market" because they hassle you non stop and the paradise island excursion is not worth it. Otherwise the resort itself is great.

2 Thank Katievirginiaa