“A Wonderful vacation”

BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 15 April 2009

This was a very nice place to stay and the staff were excellent the youg people at the Blue Bay just could'nt do enough for you. The evening entertainment was just excellent. We enjoyed ourselves very much. We travelled from P.E.I. Canada a party of Seven Sisters. Would return very soon if funds allowed. maybe again in two years. We would like to have had some Spanish Music as we like to sing and Dance. Thank You.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (5,808)

Reviewed 15 April 2009

We just got back from this resort and enjoyed our stay. You can't really beat it for the price although it's definitely nowhere near a 5-star. A bit of colorful paint would probably do this resort a world of good. Everything white makes it a little drab.
The beach was great - better than any of the beaches we passed on our hour long walk. Swimming was awesome.
The staff was pretty good - I especially liked the nice guy who made my spanish coffees every night after supper and Ramone was awesome, he always remembered what I like to drink and brought it every night at dinner without me even having to ask. I thought Pineapple was a jerkbut that didn't really matter much.
The food was fine and even if you're finicky, there's something for everyone. Although the room really makes no difference to me in the long run, the bathroom could have been just a little bigger. My husband and I could not be in there at the same time AT ALL. Not much bigger than a broom closet but our companions' bathroom was 3 times the size.
The pool seemed nice although I never actually got in it. I'm all about the beach!
The beach party was a blast - one of the best night shows I've ever been to. Very entertaining.
All in all - for the price, you can't beat it.

Reviewed 15 April 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here in November 2008. As you arrive at the hotel from the outside it looks lovely . . however its only lovely from the outside.
The hotel room we booked online said our room had a balcony - which was important to us as my boyfriend was then a smoker. However when we arrived we were given a very very basic room upstairs with no balcony. It was a really late arrival as our flight was 6 hours delayed so we just unpacked and went to bed. The next day I asked if we could be moved - we were told we could but that it would cost $34 per night! I complained to the rep who said he would investigate but NEVER got back to us!

The hotel in general is a nice place to be - The staff in the resturants are lovely and really nice to talk to . . . . . EVERYBODY expects to be tipped!!! Its meant to be an all inclusive resort however , , , , when we went to the 3 resturants on site all of the decent meals are available at an extra charge!!!! There are also reps INSIDE the resort who pester you non stop to buy shares in the resort which I found so rude and wrong as we were there to relax and they truely dont take no for an answer . . . . . all it did was put us off ever staying at a Blue Bay resort again. You're hassled around the pool, at the beach, in reception . . . . the only place you dont is when you re in your room.

We booked an excursion directly with the hotel (there s a desk in the reception area) to parasdise island, it was far from paradise . . . . . you spend at least 2 and a half hours each way in a coach on roads which are terrible to drive on. The island itself was beautiful but the staff were terrible . . . there is no safety there at all . . . . they re safety question is that if you can swim 100m then you can go out into the sea and snorkel which is rediculas and so untrue. There are no lifegards on the island and while we were there a man actually lost his life. The staff did nothing and it was actually the tourists who attemped to revive the man . . . . unfortunately it was too late and as there was nobody with medical experiance the man died in front of us. This ruined the whole holiday and we had no explination from the hotel or the reps on the trip, they just continued as if nothing had even happened. The mans body was returned to shore in a boat which took over 5 minutes for them to even start! and was in no way equiped to escort a body. To this day I still think of that poor man and what his family must have gone through and I truly wish I could have maybe knew more so that I could have helped in some way! The staff on these trips should be trained to deal with emergencies!!!!

To end out holiday, when we tried to check out of the hotel we were given a bill for $65 for using the telephone . . . . .. . . which we NEVER EVER DID!!! We refused to pay it and were told by reception if we did not pay we would not be given a ticket for the coach to the airport and would therefore be stuck in this horrible place. . . . . . after 4 hours of sitting in reception they finally gave us our tickets and we were free to leave.

This was honestly not a hotel I would ever return to . . . . . you are ripped off from the moment you step foot on the Dominican Island until the second you return!
Its far from All Inclusive and we would never ever return!!! The only thing that was 4 or 5 * about this holiday was the staff in the buffet resturant.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EmmaLUk
Reviewed 14 April 2009

We stayed at Blue Bay from 26th March for 2 weeks for our honeymoon and were very pleased with our choice, we went for 2 weeks of just sitting in the sun doing nothing and that's what we got!!!
Here are our good points and some bad and some helpful tips and hints that maybe of some use to future blue bayers'
Room - as it's been said before they are basic but very functional and spacious (Massive bed), we had a ground floor room with a terrace in building 1 which was lovely and quiet away from the main pools. Our only complaints are that you are told that the water in the fridge gets re-placed daily, it doesn't unless you ask. The in room safes are expensive nearly $50 for 2 weeks but I suppose worth it for peace of mind also the showers do have a dendancy to leak into the bathroom (which are v small)
Food - We only really ate in the buffet which was good with lovely staff, sometimes the food could be cold but you expect it with all inc buffets but on the whole the selection at all meal time was large and you could always find something to eat.
One Tip - You may think the pink ice cream is strawberry, it is infact Bubble gum flavour, my husband got quite addicted and now it's impossible to source in the UK!!!!!
The Animation team - we didn't really join in with the games etc, however they don't ignore you like in other hotels they still greet you with a smile and chat and even some health advise on one day I was feeling poorly!! These guys work tirelessly to ensure everyone have fun even if you are just spectating, they start early morning and work through till the early hours taking guest to the local disco. The boys and Blonde are a great credit to the hotel.
The Timeshare Guys - They tell you it's not a timeshare sell, it is all but name, however it's quite a good deal if you have the money to sign up - we didn't!!!! Big tip after the first couple of days just tell them you've already been and they leave you alone (just include some names we spoke with Frank and Edward) at the end of the day they are just doing there jobs like everyone else and some people must sign up occasionally!!!! they are all polite when you say NO anyway!!!
Beach - I found the beach to be nice, clean with a much needed cool breeze. The sellers are annoying if you let them be but as people have said before a polite no thanks and they go away!
On the whole we found the hotel great for a nice relaxing cheapish trip to the Caribbean and I wouldn't hestate to recommend to my best friend.

13  Thank N00dles29
Reviewed 14 April 2009

me and my husband re visited this hotel this year for our 25th wedding anniversary after having a fantastic time on our last visit and we were not dissapointed, although alot of the animation team had changed the new staff were as good it was fantastic to see that robert and lorenzo were still on the animation team and still as much fun and helpfull infact from the gardeners to the reseption you can not fault them . my husband and i was also pleased to see pablo still working at the beach bar aswell .the food was fab as was the cleaness of the all hotel but its staff espeially the animation team made our holliday yet again . We went with first choice and our rep at the hotel was fab always there with good information infact luci made our stay enjoyable and we left our holiday more like friends the only thing i would complain about is that this time at the hotel they have staff just on to try and sell time share allthough they are plesant you really dont want this actually in the hotel grounds and can get a bit tiresome and did put us off a bit

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank janewalker636
Reviewed 13 April 2009

I recently stayed at Blue Bay 3/31/09 - 4/7/09 and it was a very nice stay. Check in was a breeze, the staff was very helpful and friendly. Most of the time I stayed by the pools because the beach became windy in the afternoon. The vendors were not pushy at all and I have no idea what others are complaining about, a polite "no gracias" was all that was needed. I think some people don't really know that a "5" star is actually a "3" star in the Caribbean. The food was plentiful and you could find just about anything to please. The water did not make me ill at this resort so they must have fixed that problem on the island. The decor was nice although my room could use a new curtain. I was happy to have chosen an adults only as it was quiet at night and you could get a good night's rest. The pool chairs were occupied most of the time by invisible people but there were chairs if you looked. The weather was great I got an awesome tan. The other guests were nice enough. A man named "Stefan" seemed to have taken on the role of Goodwill Ambassador of the Resort. He was fun to watch. It seemed like everyone knew him and each other if not before hand at least by the end of their stay. I would return again but I would upgrade so I can see how that side lives. You have to do the Zip Line, its so much fun. Not sure if I will try the Jet Ski again since the guy running it on the beach was not very honest since the Jet Ski ran out of gas and he could care less. All in all it was a very nice resort and you felt welcomed and at home. Regards to Super Tino, Eddie Murphy and Blondie who were always on a roll and never ran out of gas.

5  Thank SunWoman1
Reviewed 10 April 2009

In This Hotel we had our honeymoon. This Hotel is perfect for couples, for relax, for everything. Amazing Service, amazing Staff, amazing food, amazing everything... I recommend this hotel to everybody who want's to go to Puerto Plata. The Animator's and the show's was Unforgettable. Realy Amazing hotel...nice & tidy rooms all the time, SUPERB HOTEL...The bar in the pool, with lovely popcorn :)

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple