“Loved it!”

Ranked #4 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
norwich
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 19 April 2009

My girlfriend and i arrived at bluebay on march 30th for 14nights, the journey from the airport to the hotel was very quick and when we got there we were sat down in the reception given a towel and a drink (ice tea) given a quick information talk and greeting then made our way to our room, we got exactly what we specified before we left for our trip (a quiet room not on the ground floor and with a balcony) we can't understand people keep changing rooms, ours was perfect. we have 1 problem with our stay at bluebay and that was the timeshare guys (employed by the hotel!) give them a firm no! and walk away because they honestly push hard enough to really annoy you, we're not money made we just wanted to be left alone to enjoy our stay and after 1 guy cornered my girlfriend on her own she soon put him right and he left us alone. apart from that our stay was amazing! on a budget like we were you could'nt ask for more, from the staff, the service, bars and restaurants it was all perfect. the rooms are spacious enough for what you do in them (sleep, shower, change) the grounds are pristine gardners and cleaners there alday everyday, the beach is lovely with beds and loungers (we never had a problem getting loungers) if you walk to the beach turn left and take a 5/10 minute walk along the shore you will come across some corals i recommend taking snorkels and some bananas swimming around the corals and mushing up your bananas in the water, watch in amazement at the fish you'll see! the beach is well looked after and cleaned daily (you see this going on alday) the waters beautiful remember it's the north side so not all caribbean clear but it does have it's good spots. we spent more time on the beach then the main area of the hotel because we thought it more relaxing and yes you do get vendors who want to sell you things but a simple no gracias is enough for them to keep walking. the main area of the hotel does have daily activities (simple games) you can watch or get involved your not forced to do anything, the nightly shows (micheal jackson, magic show, water ballet) are good to go watch for a laugh we did enjoy them but more for the giggle factor. our place was more in the beach bar throughout the day, breakfast down there is great, juan the waiter always smiling and happy to see you he become agood friend people like him make the stay more worthit, in the evenings at the beach bar you have cornelio the barman he was my faverite person funny, quick to serve the drinks and plenty alcohol in them, cornelio you are the best mate can't wait to meet you again next time!. in the beachbar you have francis and the seafood al la carte, food excellant, staff excellant, service excellant, grill al la carte just the same our fave was the seafood thank you francis! out front and to the right of the hotel is the chinese al la carte, food ok staff/service . . . try it see what you think. the main buffet in the hotel is excellant in itself, a different style of food everyday and everyday is asgood as the last! my girlfriend and i went on 3 excursions while staying here (paradise island, monster truck safari and the cable car top view) if you want to know about these then just ask we'll be happy to answer any questions. our holiday was simply the best time ever we cant understand all you people who have moaned about your stay here, did you ever think it was'nt the holiday it was actually YOU! that ruined it yet just looking to put the blame elsewhere!? i can't recommend anything more then staying at bluebay, we want to say thank you to everyone there (except the timeshare staff hahaha) for a truly amazing experiance and fantastic holiday, we look forward to seeing you all again in the near future. ps our 14nights turned to 17 because my girlfriend got an ear infection and was'nt allowed to fly, to the guys from canada who were in reception as we left, for what you did for us from the bottom of our hearts we truly thank you, we hope to see you again 1 day and make it up to you. anyone reading this go and stay you won't regret a single thing!

5 Thank chrisankatie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (801)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Spring Lake, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 April 2009

Once again, I am reviewing a Puerto Plata hotel in which I had read NUMEROUS reviews before traveling and been VERY nervous. Breezes was last year, BlueBay this year. My Breezes review is similar in that I truly do not understand what people complain about. Maybe Im laid back, who knows. We stayed at BlueBay for 7 nights, 8 FULL days from April 10-17th. I say FULL because we arrived at the hotel at 9am and had our room by 10:30am, and had a late checkout at 4pm. We fly into Santiago when we visit DR due to the significant airfare difference, even including the 10 dollar cabride to Puerto Plata from STI Airport. We had reservations which included teh Upgrade to Be + with a villa/bath, NOT jacuzzi. We were greeted with cold towel and drink, and were told that our villa wont be available till Sunday (we arrived Friday). This made no sense to me since we booked in SEPTEMBER! Im not the type to copmlain so I said...ok : ) They did remove one night of the Be+ cost even though we still got the perks. We were put in room 6110 which was a GREAT room! It was right by the lobby area, at the closest pool to reception. It was quiet, had view of pool and easy access to everything. The room was HUGE......large closets/hangers, sitting area...but the bathroom WAS small, but most American bathrooms in hotels are the same, so again, not soemthing Id complain about. I normally go solo in the potty anyway!! So we were satisfied with the temporary room. We had a black wristband which showed we were upgraded, and supposably we'd get treated better.......I wouldnt know cause I just assumed everyone would be nice. We were given a list of what we wanted stocked in our mini bar....free. We had champagne, rum, sodas, water, wine, and beer, which were replenished DAILY. The maid cleaned twice a day, every morning at about 11-12 and in evening for fresh towels and turn down service. The altes maid came for room cleaning was like MAYBE 1pm. We had nice robes and slippers, and unlimited reservations at the al a cartes..which we went to 6 out of 7 nights. We LOVED the oriental, and the grill, but since i dont like seafood I was not a fan of the seafood one. Buffet food was typical caribbean fare, lots to choose from....We received a fruit plate daily in our room at about 3-4 pm as well as an appetizer around 5 pm as part of upgrade. They were all delicious. Drinks were yummy, all bartenders great, although I always felt bad asking for a special drink...like I was bothering them. Again, just my issue! When we moved to the villa, it seemed smaller, but the bathroom was TWICE the size.......and had a tub/shower with jets.....but again, room was perfect, and in a GREAT location. We were in Villa 12 which was first villa at main pool. It was noisy but stopped at 11pm in time for bed. We were able to pee in our room when at pool cause it was so close. We did the jeep wrangler tour, much to our disappointment! Last year we did outback safari and was BEST part of trip...we asked the bald guy in reception whats similar, and he said wrangler........told us it was almost the same...well, we took same path as outback, we drove a jeep which was fun, but aftger 3 hours of driving through mountains....and passing the local womans house, the school, and all other "stops" we NEVER stopped! We went to a plantaion and then ate and that was IT!!!! When we got back we complained and the guy in reception was SHOCKED.......had no idea why we never stopped and said he'd call the company, never heard back! the vacatino club people did not bother us at all.....not ONCE....we watched them torment people walking by on the beach, but thats IT!! ALso the beach vendors were cool....just a nice no thank you and they kept walking, never bothered me once...not like when you go to Sosua and they HARASS you. Animation was funny, saw a few of the shows and laughed a lot....I could go on, but if anyone has questions, email me. OHHHHHHH the best part was that we had free room service.....usually till 11pm but at times we called later and they still made us food.

1 Thank Hdog76
Stockholm
Reviewed 17 April 2009

We stayed there one week, the hotel is really beautiful, the employees fantastic, helpful.
The food was really good also except for the restaurant "Oriental" and "Steak house"...Beach next to the hotel, cocktails really good!
If you want to rest without kids screaming around ( forbidden to have kids) it's the right place!

pei
Reviewed 16 April 2009

can not say enough good things about this resort our trip was especially fun thanks to the animation crew- eddy, lorenzo, james bond, lablonde,and all the rest it was amazing we laughed for a week solid the hotel was your standard no complaints the staff at the desk work hard to make you comfortable and fill your requests i am for sure going back this resort is blessed to have the staff they do and i hope they are treated well in return thank you blue bay crew for an unforgettable vacation:)

• Stayed April 2009
Prince Edward Island
Reviewed 15 April 2009

This was a very nice place to stay and the staff were excellent the youg people at the Blue Bay just could'nt do enough for you. The evening entertainment was just excellent. We enjoyed ourselves very much. We travelled from P.E.I. Canada a party of Seven Sisters. Would return very soon if funds allowed. maybe again in two years. We would like to have had some Spanish Music as we like to sing and Dance. Thank You.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Canada
Reviewed 15 April 2009

We just got back from this resort and enjoyed our stay. You can't really beat it for the price although it's definitely nowhere near a 5-star. A bit of colorful paint would probably do this resort a world of good. Everything white makes it a little drab.
The beach was great - better than any of the beaches we passed on our hour long walk. Swimming was awesome.
The staff was pretty good - I especially liked the nice guy who made my spanish coffees every night after supper and Ramone was awesome, he always remembered what I like to drink and brought it every night at dinner without me even having to ask. I thought Pineapple was a jerkbut that didn't really matter much.
The food was fine and even if you're finicky, there's something for everyone. Although the room really makes no difference to me in the long run, the bathroom could have been just a little bigger. My husband and I could not be in there at the same time AT ALL. Not much bigger than a broom closet but our companions' bathroom was 3 times the size.
The pool seemed nice although I never actually got in it. I'm all about the beach!
The beach party was a blast - one of the best night shows I've ever been to. Very entertaining.
All in all - for the price, you can't beat it.

UK
Reviewed 15 April 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here in November 2008. As you arrive at the hotel from the outside it looks lovely . . however its only lovely from the outside.
The hotel room we booked online said our room had a balcony - which was important to us as my boyfriend was then a smoker. However when we arrived we were given a very very basic room upstairs with no balcony. It was a really late arrival as our flight was 6 hours delayed so we just unpacked and went to bed. The next day I asked if we could be moved - we were told we could but that it would cost $34 per night! I complained to the rep who said he would investigate but NEVER got back to us!

The hotel in general is a nice place to be - The staff in the resturants are lovely and really nice to talk to . . . . . EVERYBODY expects to be tipped!!! Its meant to be an all inclusive resort however , , , , when we went to the 3 resturants on site all of the decent meals are available at an extra charge!!!! There are also reps INSIDE the resort who pester you non stop to buy shares in the resort which I found so rude and wrong as we were there to relax and they truely dont take no for an answer . . . . . all it did was put us off ever staying at a Blue Bay resort again. You're hassled around the pool, at the beach, in reception . . . . the only place you dont is when you re in your room.

We booked an excursion directly with the hotel (there s a desk in the reception area) to parasdise island, it was far from paradise . . . . . you spend at least 2 and a half hours each way in a coach on roads which are terrible to drive on. The island itself was beautiful but the staff were terrible . . . there is no safety there at all . . . . they re safety question is that if you can swim 100m then you can go out into the sea and snorkel which is rediculas and so untrue. There are no lifegards on the island and while we were there a man actually lost his life. The staff did nothing and it was actually the tourists who attemped to revive the man . . . . unfortunately it was too late and as there was nobody with medical experiance the man died in front of us. This ruined the whole holiday and we had no explination from the hotel or the reps on the trip, they just continued as if nothing had even happened. The mans body was returned to shore in a boat which took over 5 minutes for them to even start! and was in no way equiped to escort a body. To this day I still think of that poor man and what his family must have gone through and I truly wish I could have maybe knew more so that I could have helped in some way! The staff on these trips should be trained to deal with emergencies!!!!

To end out holiday, when we tried to check out of the hotel we were given a bill for $65 for using the telephone . . . . .. . . which we NEVER EVER DID!!! We refused to pay it and were told by reception if we did not pay we would not be given a ticket for the coach to the airport and would therefore be stuck in this horrible place. . . . . . after 4 hours of sitting in reception they finally gave us our tickets and we were free to leave.

This was honestly not a hotel I would ever return to . . . . . you are ripped off from the moment you step foot on the Dominican Island until the second you return!
Its far from All Inclusive and we would never ever return!!! The only thing that was 4 or 5 * about this holiday was the staff in the buffet resturant.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple