“Fun times!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Montreal, Québec, Canada
“Fun times!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2009

Went with a good friend of mine January 26th to February 2nd, had the time of our lives!! This is an 18+, 24 hr resort, perfect for both relaxing and partying at the same time, we met some great people. As soon as we walked through the lobby we were "wowed" on how classy it looked, reminded us of Miami! Staff is always cleaning, gardening and keeping everything beautiful. Pools are clean, one with pool bar and the other for water sports (Volleyball). Always some sort of fun entertainment going on, you have something for everyone! Get up early for a chair on the beach or near pool... people reserved chairs by putting their towels are early as 7:00 am, we hardly ever got one which that was a huge bummer! Drinks are awesome, have a banana mama, those are really yummy!! Food is EXCELLENT, no complaints at all, whether you eat at the buffet or à la carte. We even made friends with one of the waitresses at the buffet restaurant, she knew to serve us red wine every night, we would even joke about it! The Steakhouse is a must and you have to try the Châteaubriand, it will melt in your mouth. All the staff is great, very nice and always helpful. The beach bar is the place to go for drinks and spend the evening, it's open 24 hrs and also has a snackbar. The beach is not the nicest I've seen but I'm happy as long as I have one and the ocean of course, the nicest beach is in Punta Cana. The first couple of days you'll get bugged to buy stuff on the beach, as the week goes by they'll eventually stop. Remember, you can bargain if you do decide to buy something, they always start really expensive... I did end-up getting great deals!! The rooms are basic, we never had problems with maids, they always cleaned our room and gave us fresh towels. We weren't there to spend time in a room anyways, as long as it's clean and everything is functional (which was!) we're happy! :-) The Paradise Island tour is a must, they bring you on a jetboat to this small beautiful island in the middle of nowhere. You can snorkel or just chill on the beach. On the way back, we stop at this small restaurant for lunch where we can eat Dominican food. Then back on the jetboat to head back on the bus, we next stop at the tobacco fields where they actually make cigars and have a cute shop.

My overall experience was amazingly fun, I totally recommend this hotel, I'll go back eventually!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
8 Thank natty_d77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (779)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Suffolk UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2009

Excellent all round holiday. Many thanks to the crew for keeping us entertained, especially Teddy and Rambo. Outstanding food and cleanliness with very friendly team members and staff. This was our first time to Dominican Republic and we will be booking again next year. Hopefuly we will enjoy the same outstanding value for money holiday next year and will be able to see all the crew again. Love Ruth and Ade

4 Thank adrianandruth
banbury england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2009

what can i say. how anyone knocks this hotel i just dont know ,the animation team are so funny and try there hardest to make you enjoy your stay. these people who moan need to take part in there games they might even enjoy there selfs or go and sit by the quiet pool away from any noise.while we was there meet some lovely people hi to pc wendy cd doug jay and rosie and the welsh boys who with many others helped make my holiday special. as for the hotel all the staff are very friendly and will serve you with a smile the rooms are very clean if not a bit basic but we only use it for sleeping. the beach is cleaned daily but the water is a bit cloudy.the food at this hotel is very good with plenty of choice and the a la carte restaurants all very good. all in all had a fab holiday and would go back again

6 Thank hunthrey
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2009

I stayed at Bluebay hotel with my Mum and cousin for a 2 week holiday from 31st May - 15th June. I must say that i had an amazing time there and i would certainly reccommend it to anyone thinking of going to the Dominican Republic. This was our first time to Dominican and i speak for myself and my family and say its the best holiday we have ever had. I'll be surprised if any of you guys thinking of going to Bluebay don't come back with self dubbed "Bluebay downers."

In terms of the hotel, the staff there are something else. So helpful and attentive, at times i swear they were looking for any excuse to help. The staff in the main restaurant are phenomenal, you take a sip of water and they are right there filling it straight back up. They would also go to the bar which is outside of the restaurant and get you any alcoholic drink you would like. The main restaurant was split there was a morning shift and and evening shift. The morning staff always had a smile on their faces and would never tire of asking "how are you" or "how is your stay" and aside from the normal pleasantries i found them genuinely interested in finding out about you. The evening shift were just as great. True credits to the hotel.

THE ANIMATION CREW MADE MY HOLIDAY, they are simply the most funny, energetic, friendly and happiest people i have ever met. you can't help but feed off of their energy and they are absolute stars. It was impossible to have a boring day or evening in that hotel with them around. Every day there was a different programme of activites including: ring throwing, cocktail making competitions, sushi lessons, spanish lessons, water aerobics, yoga, water olympics, darts, bike riding around the resort, hit the lemon competitions, throw the pineapple, water volleyball plus much more!

The main crew included: Lorenzo, James, Tino, Teddy, Karina, Rambo, Eddy. they all have such great individual personalities and they are so respectful to. Every morning they would walk around both pool areas and stop by every couple or group of people to say good morning and have a little chat. That type of service makes you feel special and it shows an impeccable level of effort amongst the whole team!

In the night there was always a different entertainment programme on, the comedy sketch the crew done was hillarious. I practically cried off all my mascara from laughter! On Saturdays they do a beach party which was great fun, and they are always getting people up to dance to teach them the Meringue the local dominican dance!

Oh and i refute any condemnation of this team, i have read a particular post on this site that the animation crew are all after sex and their sleezy etc. To that i say were you at the same hotel love??? Because none of that was going on at Bluebay and to be honest with you i think that people shouldnt throw around empty accusations like that as thats how people get wrongly accused. As i said earlier i was there for 2 weeks with my Mum who is 50 (she'll kill me if she knew i put her age up!) My cousin who is 29 and myself 22 and never once did we feel vunerable or prepositioned by any of them. At the end of the day you are at an ADULT hotel and it's all tongue and cheek. Blue bay draws in a wide variety of ages, present in my 2 weeks were middle aged couples, young couples, groups of friends young and old and even two sisters who were in their late 60's and early 70's. out of everyone i spoke to no one was offended by their behaviour....so we'll just put it down to them being a couple of humour'less so and so's.

Everything was just on point at this place, the hotel rooms was cleaned to a high standard and every morning they would pick flowers from their gardens and sprinkle the petals around the sink area in our bathroom. They also changed our bath towels twice a day without us requesting! In general the cleanliness around the hotel was great empty glasses were constantly being picked up around the pool and restaurants. The lovely Alejandra (a bar girl) would walk around both pool areas picking up your empties and asking if you wanted another drink and she'd go to the bar and bring it back to you! Out of all the countries i've travelled to i've never had somebody wait on me hand and foot like that, and she always had a lovely smile on her face too!

The food in the restaurants was lovely, there was the main restaurant which had a different menu on every day, and three a la carte restaurants: an oriental, steak and fish restaurant. This was a nice little system as it broke up your week in terms of dining and gave us ladies and excuse to get our glad rags on! There was also an opportunity for couples to have a romantic beach candlelit dinner which included lobster and champagne obviously charged at an extra cost. i saw quite a few couples doing that and it looked to die for!

Breakfast in the main canteen was great, you had a chef cooking eggs however you liked them: omlettes, fried, scrambled or boiled etc. There was a smoothie station where you chose the fruits you wanted and watched whilst your smothie was made in front of you, daily fresh fruit platters, fried breakfasts, porridge, cereals, yogurts, 10 different types of bread, and pastries and so on!

Lunch and dinners were more wholesome and included steaks, lasagne's, fish, chicken in various sauces, reams of veg either boiled, sauted or in a cream sauce etc.

In terms of excursions we done 2, the first one we done was ocean world where i swam with the dolphins and sea lions and performed tricks with them! It was expensive around 100GBP but so worth it the animals are so intelligent! and i'd definately do it again!

We also did the freestyle catarmaran which was fantastic, this excursion took us to the coral reefs to swim with the fish!

I could babble on and on, i'm probably going to read this and remember so much i've missed out so if you wana know more and you have a facebook account search Jeyda Chanel Devine and message me!

This place is highly recommended i'd go back tomorrow if i could, well i'am actually trying to go back at the end of August so that says it all really!

Hope this has been helpful and if you are due to visit Bluebay have a great time!

• Stayed June 2009
9 Thank Jeyda K
swindon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2009

What a time we had at Bluebay the staff were always smiling and Rambo,Eddie,Robert,James,Tino,Teddy,Karina,Lorenzo - the Entertainers were fantastic and kept us laughing all through our holiday. The beach bar was open 24hrs so you could sleep on the beach all night and pop up now and then for a cocktail and a coke to keep you going. We made a lot of new friends - Jay & Rosie, Ken & Sweatheart /Tracy,Andy & Michelle,Sandra &Paul and a few others I forgot all their names.
As for the resort it is not too busy. the beach is loverly and go on the trips to Paradise Island, The cater- boat trip to snorkal with the fish, there is always lots of food and drink and a party atmosphere to entertain you on the trip. I would recomend this Hotel to enyone.

2 Thank wendySwindon
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2009

My Partner and I went for a week (Thank god) from the 7th June to the 14th. First of all the weather was horrible! My partner and i had to walk around with a huge golf umberella most of the time! alhough this was not the hotels fault it put even more of a downer on the holiday!

I thought the beach towles were meant to be changed everyday?? well we had to change them by asking the reception four times! we went to this so called shack that was supposed to supply beach towels and there were never any there!!

The room cleaning was fab i must say! they changed the bath towels constanlty and tidied your room twice a day!

The food was good, my partner enjoyed this the most out of the whole holiday!

There was so many groups of 'Riff Raff' there, getting drunk and out of their head downgrading the hotel! i dont think this hotel should be for couples! it reminded me of the time i went Malia with a group of girls! Loud Music, drinking games etc all i wanted during the day was to relax and chill out not having some chav shouting their big mouth off!

The entertainment in the evening was a joke!! there was nothing to do in the evening sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring!!!

We decided to do three trips (the more trips the better so i could get out of the hell whole) we did paradise Island, the catamaran and the horseback riding.

The catamaran was fab apart from the two american girls who drove all of us mad! they were getting off with the men who ran the trip (was disgusting infront of us)

The paradise island was nice, although we were told it would take an hour and a half to get there, actually took two hours 30! we didnt see one bit of sun that day :-(

The horse back riding was fun until we were made to give money to one of the tour guides! there was four of us on the trip, my partner and i only wanted to do the half day where as the other couple did the whole day.

so we set off on our horses with 3 tour guides, one of the tour guides was from Holland and spoke perfect English.... we trecked up to the mountains had a drink then it was time to go, so the lady from Holland, one of the other tour guides and the couple went on as they were doing the whole day. my partner and i were taken back to the ranch. before we got in there the tour guide said to my partner 'i dont get paid to work i work for my tips, i want money from you' my other half had a dollar on him (as we had paid for the trip before hand and were all inclusive there was no need to take money out) so he gave him that and he demanded more! we finally got into the ranch and he locked us in there and was asking if we had money at the hotel. at this point i was soooo scarred as we were the only ones in there with this guy and a kid who washed the horses. my partner and i had to wait for our lift back to the hotel, we waited 15 minutes and it seemed like forever! this guy kept calling people and was acting strange. I didnt think we were going to get out of there alive! The thing is your in the middle of nowhere, there was only locals about and you never know what is going to happen!

we booked that trip through a company at the shopping Plaza in the complex. its on the left as you walk in from the front, so please try to avoid this trip!!!

The beach at the hotel was awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my partner got glass in his foot, the vendors drove us mad and the water is horrible!

one thing that we did do was have the romantic lobster dinner on the beach and this was something to remember (see picture) we had three lobsters between us! the waiter Francis and waitress Lucia were lovely!! they made it special for us! and luckily it stopped raining for us as we sat down!

Some people love it there were as others hate it! my partner enjoyed it but i didnt! and for a girl off 22 to say that is shocking! im not snobby or moany but certainly changed when i was out there!

I wouldnt say dont go there as you may like that sort of place!

i was very upset, as i had been looking forward to this holiday for a long time!

also i would not class this hotel as a 4 star! its more like a 3!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Lubylu1987
Vilnius
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2009

Kind regards for all crew. Nice programs and much impromtu. Very warm people, hope to meet them next time. Giving 100% we will come back to BlueBay, Villas Doradas, again.
Best Regards to Lorenzo, Eddy, James Bond :))

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends