“Perfection in a Holiday!”

BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Gloucestershire
“Perfection in a Holiday!”
Reviewed 13 July 2009

When we arrived after the short 15 minute airport transfer we were greeted in an informal way of checking in, which was nice, we sat in the airy Reception area and was sat on the sofa's and just filled one form in and given our bands. We were given a cold flannel to cool down and a glass of iced tea which was most refreshing!

We then went to our room where our bags were brought by the porters and was not made to feel under pressure to hand a tip although we did! 50 peso's (£1).

The room was stunning clean, fresh and just perfect for what we needed to make our 2 week holiday as comfortable as possible. Our room was cleaned twicw a day and also given fresh towels 2 or 3 times a day with the bed made on a continual rotation.

The food at the hotel was amazing, the al a carte was not one we were a fan of due to the stuffy attitude of having to wear trousers!! We were in the caribean, we didnt take trousers!!! But never the less we still ate once at the steak house who upholds an informal dress code and that was good. The buffet was excellente! Lots of choice and fresh food for the 3 meal times a day, always a great selection of foods and managed to eat something different 3 times a day for 14 days!

The entertainment at the hotel has to be the major selling point of a holiday such as this, the staff are true professionals, they work so hard and always around to chat, dance or just have FUN FUN FUN with all of the guests. We were most impressed with Angie who was a fantastic dancer and a new member of the animation team, Karina (Karen) was just a legend, bringing me some Aloe Vera after I had burnt my shoulders in the sun and Lorenzo was a legend! All of the entertainments team were simply out of this world, you will not be disappointed! That is a promise!

The bars were always fully stocked up with a list of cocktails beers wines and pretty much what you would expect from any bar in the world!! A little tip from me is never ask for "rum & Coke" always go for Brugal, a much nicer tasting rum and brewed in the local area! YUM YUM!

Many people take Dollars (USD) I would suggest that you take Peso's as many of the prices for items work out much cheaper to buy everything, make sure you have your dollars for the airport taxes.

A 5 star hotel this should be!!! 4 stars do not give the hotel justice!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank bigdroadshow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (815)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Canada
Reviewed 12 July 2009

I went to Blue Bay the end of March 2009 for a week. I went with my parents who went the previous year and loved the resort, so they went back and bought me. The first time my parents went they got the 10 year vacation club this year they upgraded and got the 25 year.
My parents booked our vacation with RCI, not knowing that RCI and Bluebay vacation club are two different things. We didn't get all the V.I.P treatment because of this, but Bluebay really went out of there way to give us what we could. We got the stocked bar, the housecoats and slippers, picked up/dropped off at airport.

My first impression when I got there was how beautiful and relaxed the lobby was. The lights are amazing and the whole atmosphere was relaxing.

Rooms, Well we had to change rooms because it a very loud location and very noisy. We didn't get the suites which I was a little disappointed because I was looking forward to them, but that was ok, I wasn't in my room a lot anyways. The only complaint I have is the room across from me, they smoked and who ever was staying there liked to put on a bottle of cologne a few times a day, which carried over to my room.

The food was awesome! I am a very very picky eater but always found something to eat. I loved breakfast, amazingly good food. I always made sure I was up so I could eat breakfast, as I didn't want to miss out! I loved the pasta bar, I got sick of pasta near the end though. I loved how each night was a different theme. I love the coffee, we ended up bringing back 10 bags and we are on our last one now:-(.

The drinks were really good. They came in small glasses and lots of ice though, I ended up going and buying a bigger cup because every time I would get back to my chair my drink would be gone and I didn't want to keep walking back and forth to the bar. All my friends laugh at me because I drink about a quarter of rum and the rest coke. In the Dominican they don't use shot glasses to measure.

The animation team was a lot of fun. I didn't really join in during the day because I just wanted to watch and see what happens. Next year for sure I will be joining a lot more. At night they put on a show. The shows were great! We didn't get to go to the beach party because it was raining, so I can't wait to go to it next year! They work there butts off, they are there from early morning to late at night!

Excursions: We went on a few excursions, We went to the night show in the casino (it's like a Las Vegas show). It was really good, I was amazed at how much energy all the dancers had. After we got to play in the casino. My mom and I spend our money way to fast, so we just hang out for a bit. Your allowed to smoke in the casino and there are no windows. It was very smokey. I guess we come from a place where your not allowed to smoke in bars and restaurants anymore, so I have gotten use to the smoke free places.

We also went to the waterfalls, we laugh about it to this day. We had a awful time. We didn't know that we should have bought our own running shows so we rented the cheap shoes. The shoes ruined our feet, but the end of the hike our feet were bleeding and in pain. It was always raining that day so the rain forest was very slippery. We weren't expecting to be hiking that day. We all said we would go back though, but this time be prepared and bring our own shoes.

I had a great time, but next time I go I want to go with friends. I love my parents but they went to bed at 11pm every night and I was still ready to party, but didn't find anyone at the resort to party with. I was looking forward to going to the disco every night. I went the first night by myself at 11pm, bad idea! Don't go by yourself if your a single female! I never went back at all that week.

The plaza is a great place to buy stuff. We went a few times. The little restaurant that is open in the middle of the plaza (forget what its called) has awesome nacho and cheese and iced coffee! The plaza is a great place to buy all of your souvenirs.

The staff treated us very well, and were so nice. The front desk staff were always smiling and I don't think they ever went home. They always seemed to be there! Edison was so friendly and remembered my parents from last year, and he was always kind and so friendly to us. The blue bay vacation staff are awesome and I will be popping in next year to say hello.

My mom and I both got a hour massage each. Amazing! I have never had a massage before and it was relaxing, and sooo nice. I was beyond relaxed after my massage.

I am going back April 2010 and am already on countdown! I can't to go back and I wish I could just jump on a plane right now and go right now!

• Stayed March 2009
4 Thank Kaylams25
Berkshire
Reviewed 9 July 2009

Myself and my boyfriend stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks and I can't say enough good things about this place. We had an absolute ball. The hotel itself is newly refurbished and modern and looks exactly like it does on the website. Rooms are spacious and cleaned daily, you can get fresh beach towels daily also. I never had a problem getting a sun lounger by the pool no matter what time I arrived.

The food is amazing, such a great selection, the main buffet has a different theme every night so you have plenty of choice. You also have 3 A la Carte restaurants: Grill, Seafood & Oriental. All are fab and I like the nice little touches like putting a pillow under the ladie's feet!

Great selection of drinks....you can have drinks and food in the beach bar 24hrs a day if you want. Entertainment is great especially the dancers, they put on a great show. There are lots of activies to do during the day if you get bored such as dance & cooking and cocktail lessons, aqua aerobics, yoga aswell as lots of games.

Animation team....well what can I say I loved them and want to become one of the crew!!! They work LONG hours and are super happy all the time. They really made our holiday. In particular I loved Teddy, Eddie Murphy, Super Tino, Rambo, Lorenzo, Carina & Angie. ( Miss you guys!! )

It's a huge bonus being an over 18 hotel and not to have kids around. This hotel caters for all ages. Entertainment by the pool usually finishes around 11 so anyone who wants to carry on partying can go to the beach bar or Coco Bongo's.

Shakey Shakey...here's to the Virgins!! (New People!)

Lisa & Alan
(Who got engaged in this hotel!! )

• Liked — Staff and food
  • Disliked — Nothing!!
  • Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank lisa_smith80
Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 July 2009

Here is our completely honest review... a young couple in our 20's. Flew down July 1st and stayed until July 7th (6 nights).

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
Upon arrival, we were greeted nicely with cold towels and their amazingly good iced tea. They gave us our key, information, and bracelets. We were then brought to our room which was very spacious, just lacking any drawers... well 3 tiny ones in the huge closet that had about 15 hangers and a couple shelves. The first thing my boyfriend and I always do is check out the bed... BAD. We have a firmer bed that has a pillow top on it, so it's not that we like to sleep on a huge pillow or anything, but this bed was ROCK hard. The pillows were also very hard and lumpy so we had them bring us a couple new ones that were a little better. Bathroom was setup nice with flower pedals on sink and even in the toilet! The little shampoo bottle they give you confused me a little, being 1/4 used and cap halfway unscrewed..? Back of the toilet seat liked to fall down, so my boyfriend had to hold it when he peed, and it fell on my back when I would sit there. The 2 chairs in the room were decently comfortable, but we didn't really use them, as we piled all our clothes on them. TV in the room was a smaller tube TV that got a lot of channels, but only 3-4 in English, news channels and 1 cartoon channel.

FOOD:
With a 6 night stay, we got to eat at the a la carte restaurant 3 times. We did 2 at the steakhouse and 1 at the seafood restaurant, as we read too many mixed reviews on the Asian restaurant. Both times at the steakhouse we had the Chateaubriand (which is only ordered as a dish for 2) which was amazing! We were actually told by an employee that that was pretty much the only good meat dish there... that the quality just wasn't there. The seafood night I had the pasta with seafood and it was really good, boyfriend had the grouper and thought it was quite bland. The calamari appetizer was great, as was the chocolate mousse for dessert (which we had pretty much every time!). The buffet definitely had a variety every meal. Personally I found breakfasts to be the best! We tried everything they had, and the different chickens were good, the pasta station, egg station, smoothie station, sandwich station, etc made it a lot better! Some of the stuff seemed very salty/buttery, but overall the food was good.

BEACH:
Air was hot and humid as to be expected, but the beach wasn't rocky or anything as people had said. Water was really warm, and somewhat foggy. We took a walk about 10 mins left as people had said, and surprisingly the water was crystal clear! I thought the beach vendors were fun! There are tons of them, they all wear matching shirts that are numbered, and have the 1 item they sell/do (jewelry, hair braiding, mani/pedi, wooden figures, sunglasses, etc.) They start off pretty high (typically in pesos, probably hoping you'll get confused converting it). We got them down at least halfway on the price of everything we bought. Jewelry vendor #21 was the best! Older guy, gave great deals and loved to chat... and he loved him some Chuck Norris! haha A flat "no" or keeping your eyes closed laying there would send them away, but excuses like "no money" doesn't work, they'll tell you to pay them later etc.

POOLS:
Swimup bar was nice, but the whole pool was only about 3 ft deep, and they used it mainly for activities during the day. The other pool was only 4ft deep, where people played pool volleyball and basketball. Those pools both only open til 7pm. 3rd pool (near the spa) is open til 11, and later at night, very few people in it.

DAY ACTIVITIES:
They have a large chart of everything that is going to happen during the day. We didn't participate in much, mainly because we love laying on the beach during the day and then the pool later in the day, which was usually after the pool stuff was over.

NIGHT ACTIVITIES:
They were okay... start at 9:30 everynight, but if you want seats in the area near the stage, you have to litterally be there by about 7:30-8. We actually preffered sitting further away near the pool and lounging in the pools loungechairs to watch the shows! They have a set schedule per week for the shows, so 2 weeks you would see everything twice. After the shows, a lot of people including staff go to Coco Bongo, a local "disco". Being at an all-inclusive, we didn't want to spend money on alcohol when we could hang out to have it free, so we typically hung around. They had a beach party on Saturday night I can't speak about because my boyfriend became severely dehydrated so we stayed in the room that night. The other nights at the beach they play loud VERY random songs (70's to current to 90's music, etc) and the snack bar is open. We went there almost every night and only 1 night were people actually dancing by about 11:30 when we left.

ALCOHOL:
Only 1 type of beer, tastes similar to Coors or Miller light, which we were pleased with. The mixed drinks were sometimes very weak, 8 drinks in I could be completely sober (also small cups), other times 4 drinks and I could start feeling a buzz.

STAFF:
AWESOME! All very friendly, but a lot of them (depending on their job) won't talk much, as they don't know a ton of English, knowing Spanish there will probably even further increase your experience with them.

All in all, we would definitely go back to the resort, maybe just plan on bringing more money to go out each night because as a young couple, wasn't a ton to do after the shows ending at 10:30-11.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Lindz_and_Jamie
Derbyshire
Reviewed 8 July 2009

I didn't know what to expect, this being our first "Adults Only" hotel we were staying in and from the comments of friends and family before departing we thought we had made a big mistake!. but it was OK. As far as accommodation is concerned it is certainly not the RitZ but thought the hotel itself was quite pretty . We paid extra for a balacony, I didn't think it was worth it. because you are never in the room. The hotel was kept really clean and the layout of the gardens were really lovely. As others have also said in their reviews the Animation Team worked night and day to ensure that no one was bored, if you were it was your own fault. . We didn't join in many of the daytime activies, as we liked the the quiet area of the Spa pool, but in hindsight I think we shoud have. The evening entertaining was pretty good the first week but the second we didn't enjoy as much, that is only personal taste though, not saying it was any worse. The food was quite a dissapointment to us. It was not very consistant. One night you would go the the Fish Retuarant and have a fantiastic meal,. another it would be ug. and same applied to the steak and Thai. Not worth mentioning much more. It would have been better also if they advertised beforehand when themed nights were on in the Buffet restuarant. We went to the fish Resturant one night and guess what ? next night the theme in the buffet was yes - Fish.
The weather could have been better. Every day at about three pm ( yes you could almost put a time on it) the clouds gathered and rain set in for rest of the afternoon and sometimes evening.
We went on the Monster Truck Safari which was a dissapointment . Due to the rain some of the activites were cut short.
The highlight of our holiday was the Sea Life Centre, it was great, you didn't have to Swim with Dolfins,or Sharks or even play with the Sea Lions (though we chose Sharks and Sea Lions) you could just go and look round and see others making fools of themselves. I would recommend gonig there.
On the whole the holiday was quite good. I cannot say it was THE BEST for us, again that is a personal thing. The staff were lovely and very friendly. All worked very hard.
..... A BIG THANK YOU TO THEM AND THE ANNIMATION TEAM FOR THEY HARD WORK THEY DO. Congratulations and well done.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank soskin
scotland
Reviewed 6 July 2009

We were at the Bluebay between 20th June and 4th July.
First impression of reception was light and airy and very clean.
Room was basic but clean and the bed was massive.Toilet was a bit tight but had everything you needed. Towels were changed twice a day and bed turned down at night.
Dining. There were 4 restaurants. The main one was buffet style and had everything, you could need. The Asian was very good although the menu was limited. The grill was excellent and the service good. The sea food was also very good and with nice surroundings. There were three pools The swim up pool and the deep pool were the more lively with lots of entertainment during the day. We spent most of our time at the smaller quiet pool though there was limited beds and seating at this pool. The beach had plenty of beds and shade if needed. We booked our trips from the people on the beach and got them a lot cheaper, they are the same ones that the Reps use and you are cutting out the middle man. We never had any hastle from the people selling Bluebay Villas and if you said no to the vendors on the beach they left you alone. Overall this Hotel was excellent and I would recommend it for both a busy or quiet stay.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
5 Thank jedfran
Wales
Reviewed 6 July 2009

What a couple of weeks, had an amazing time and didnt want to come home. If you like a laugh then you will love your two weeks in blue bay. Ask the animation team to explain the virgin comment. Animation team were excellent and really did add to the holiday. Also met some great people who are now friends, hello to the bothToms, Allan, Lisa, Dee, Charlie, Scott, Shanie, Irish 1 and 2 Lucy and eveyone else who joined the clungie clungie gany there far to many to mention everyone. If you going to Blue Bay in next couple of weeks I am very envious you will have a great time and dont be put off by any bad reviews.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business