“Great Relaxing Honeymoon”

Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Co Durham
“Great Relaxing Honeymoon”
Reviewed 3 December 2009

I have just come back from a lovely honeymoon. On arrival at the hotel you don't have the rush to reception for check in - they sit you down - you get a drink and cold towel and then hand out your keys. I am a travel agent and for me and I know the majority of my customers a god send after such a long flight. The process is quick and easy, your bags are then taken to your rooms by a porter. First impressions of the hotel at this point is modern and chic. The level of service is of a high standard and this is aparant imediately.
On arrival in our rooms (in block 2 may I add - wasn't noisy after midnight as entertainment would finish - through the day I hardly noticed it either) We paid extra for a balcony and it is a minimal supplement, My room didn't overlook the pool but a bit of garden and a quiet road. We had bath robes, rum, fresh fruit and flowers scattered around our room - I had stated at time of booking it was our honeymoon. The rooms are clean, spacious and modern - beds huge. Maid service daily. It had a walk in wardrobe with shelves and hangers - ample space for holiday etire - I heard people complaining about not having drawers and read it in previous review but there was plenty of space. There was ample shelving for 1wk or 2wk holiday - lots of hangers etc. There is TV in rooms with lots of channels and aircon and fan free of charge. Rooms were great and found it overall quiet!
Food/ Restaurants - the standard of food compared to other caribbean islands I had been to is pretty typical - good standard - plenty of choice, I like trying new things and the varierty was good - breakfasts exceptional. We had a honeymoon meal put on for us - 5 courses in the Seafood restaurant which was beautiful - 5 courses - wasn't part of our ala carte allowance. I went to the Oriental and it was good. The only one I wasn't too bothered about was the beach grill which was just burgers etc - But it wasn't bad was just burgers and I like to try different things. Regardless of where we ate the service levels were high.
Beach was quiet - nice to walk along to stretch your legs -beds are free and sellers will go as soon as you say no thanks - unlike some other holiday destinations where you can be hounded. Sea is choppy - not typical calm caribbean waters - Thinks it's atlantic so you have few waves!
Enterntainment - was what you amde of it - you can get involved or not - the staff work really hard and made me laugh - although I was getting driectly involved - my hubby palyed volleyball a couple of times.
The Manager invited us to a champagne cocktail candelit cocktail party which I really enjoyed - I didnt once say I was a travel agent so no preferential treatment - This was them ensuring we had a fantastic honeymoon.
Pool area is nice but need to be early for beds - although we always did manage it - no probs and later on it got quieter!
My husband is a golf fanatic - Plays at competition level and the course is ranked high in the world from what I have read. He said it was a nice course!
The hotel is small and friendly - if you view the webiste what you see if what you get - no false advertising.
Overall Would go back and will recommend to my customers!

8 Thank jillyp4perfect

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (810)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Chelmsford, UK
Reviewed 2 December 2009

Having read quite a few decent reviews on TA, I have to say I was very dissapointed by Blue Bay Villas.

Rooms: These are pre-allocated and distributed in envelopes with the key and other hotel info at a all in meeting at reception on arrival, not at the desk. We were in block 2, which is right next to the performance stage and can get very noisy sometimes. The PA is way too loud for such a small area. Blocks 7 & 8 are in the quieter part but do back onto the swamp!! There are no drawers for you to put clothes, only a wardrobe to hang them up. Maid cleans daily, but check they change your sheets, otherwise they just make the beds up. Towels are changed daily if required, however, they only seemed to take blue beach towels and replace with one when we had two!! Also, don't bother to pay extra for a balcony view, chances are you'll get one anyway. We did and only got a small one when bigger ones were availible. Not worth the money !!

Pool Areas: The two main pools here are very clean, it is only a shame that one of them is not deeper (max 4ft) as it is an adult only resort the dangers are less. The Spa Pool is quieter, with a decked area and small bar.

Resturants: The main restaurant is buffet style breakfast, lunch and evening meal. We found the food to be sub-standard, often bland. We used the Pasta Stations mainly as the food is cooked in front of you and is a bit fresher, as is the Egg station at breakfast. There are 3 A la Carte resturants advertised there. They are in no way A la Carte!! Jade is an Oriental, El Dorado is a Grill and Pescador is Fish. They are better than the buffet, but only just. There is a Pizza Hut in the Plaza if all else fails !! Sometimes in the buffet, the waiters took drink orders, but forgot about them and we had to ask again. Not a big deal, but not what we expected after some of the glowing reports about how good they were meant to be.

Mosquitoes: These ate us alive!! We asked the maid to sparay the rooms, but they didn't. One of the bartenders said they regularly smoke them out, but we didn't witness this once. I ended up sleeping fully clothed with shoes as well and they still got me !! Must be Robo-mozzies!! It's a shame because this can spoil you holiday with constant itching and scrathing. A lot of others suffered as well judging by what we saw.

Animation Crew: These guys work had to keep those who want, entertained. If you don't want to get involved just say no for a few days and then they recognise you and leave you alone. They organise games, aerobics, volleyball etc.

Watch Out For: 2 guys employed by the hotel to get you hooked up to timeshare. They claim there is some sort of promotion going on and offer to show around the place, but it's a ploy to get you to speak to someone in the office and try to sign you up. They try every day and in the end I had to be rude and blank them, it was the only way to stop them from hassling me. Beach vendors are everywhere, but are not nasty, a quick no thank you and they go on to the next target.

I have written a few reviews on here on other hotels and sadly this is the first time I would not recommend one.I know that most people will rate this review unhelpful because it differs with their opinion or is not what they want to hear, but it is my honest appraisal of how we found the hotel. It has good and bad points...........

9 Thank EssexMackem
York
Reviewed 30 November 2009

I stayed at this hotel in November 2009 with my partner for two weeks.

The hotel lobby was lovely and the greeting was very welcome after a long day travelling!

I was a bit disappointed with our room as we had no outside space at all, so nowhere to dry towels etc. I asked to be moved but I would of had to pay extra so we stayed where we were.

The food was nice, especially at the a la carte restaurants. I would recommend that you book in early as they seemed to get booked up very early. The service in the main buffet was quite slow and we had to ask for water numerous times because they kept forgetting to come back to us to give us a drink.

The pool areas were very nice, you have to be up early if you want to be in a specific spot though. The swim up bar was very good, I would recommend the special cocktail, or "pink drink" or whatever you want to call it. It has bananas in it, so too many can give you a bad tummy.

Overall this was an excellent holiday, very relaxing! Ian and Denise if you read this then message me please!

8 Thank yorkuk2008
Manitoba
Reviewed 29 November 2009

From touch down til departure we had a blast! Reception was great, location, food, pools and the beach, wonderful. Had a slight mixup with room locations as another couple travelling were with us & put in block 7, we were in block 2 but problem was resolved quickly. Other than that we cannot say enough good things about the place. Doralize, Teddy, Dee Dee, Jaimie & Leslie our Sunquest contacts - everybody treated you like family and knew who you were by day 2.....it was like being with friends you knew all your life. The count down is on til our return next November!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Taxlady60
scotland
Reviewed 25 November 2009

this was the best holiday ever the crew wre brill and the staff wre brill to the crew made our holiday excellent angie was an angel our room was brill to the food excellent all the staff were very helpfull if you needed anything we bookd up the next day we got home cant wait to go back next year .

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ishbel01
scotland
Reviewed 23 November 2009

this was the best holiday ever the staff were just fag the crew were outstanding angie robert are the best the whole holiday was just brill

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bubbls
Bulgaria
Reviewed 21 November 2009

The hotel is great! Excellent conditions and the best entertaining team i've ever seen!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends