6,283 results
All reviewsblue baycoca colaspa poolalfredobeach barthe oriental restaurantanimation teamjade gardenteddy bearseafoodsteak restaurantthe grillel doradoa la carte restaurantschateaubriandan adults only resorttime share
Reviewed 2 January 2018

Stayed here with my mom and brother Dec 21-28. We arrived late and the room was ready and in the block I requested (7 which is near the spa). Room was ok, nothing special and the sheets could be much better but slept fine. The 6 and 7 blocks are definitely quieter and not near the stage or games pool. The night we arrived the safe wasn't working but we got it fixed in the morning. Did not have to pay extra.
Rooms were cleaned quite late in the day but we were not there so it worked out. Alba our maid was very nice.

Food was quite good and we had no complaints. Lots of options and nice fresh fruit and vegetables. I wouldn't say the a la cartes were great, but the Oriental restaurant was the best out of the 3. Don't even bother with the steak restaurant, its just the beach snack bar with tablecloths! Staff at the buffet is great. So attentive and polite to myself and my mom felt so special there. Shout out to Gabriel, Francis and Nilson for their great service. On Dec 25, the whole kitchen staff came out and walked around with spoons etc singing Feliz Navidad - so cute!

Drinks are ok, really nice bartenders and good service. I had a few mojitos (Pablo) that were great for my beach walks. Gina and tonic is your best bet as well as the Presidente beer. The lobby bar is cash only and I dont know why anyone would go there. A few steps out of the resort is a mall with a few shops and Senor Rock bar where you can watch a hockey game, get free Wi-Fi and cocktails and beer for around $4-$5 US. Wi-Fi password can be obtained from lobby staff but it is very hit and miss.

Pools are nice, I loved the beds with the canopies as the actual chairs did not look comfy. Bring your own extra towel because the towels are never there to trade in for a new one. Timing is everything I guess.

If you walk to the entrance of the resort (road) you can catch a "bus" for 10 pesos. We went to Brugal Rum down the street and had a great tour. Locals take these buses but I felt safe enough even though there were no doors!

Beach is beautiful! Very clean and nice sand. The chairs are also canopy covered and provide shade for those like me who like to stay out of the sun. Bring a couple of clothespins or hair clips to make the curtains stay together for the most shade! The vendors do approach you but just say no and they will keep going. Its not easy to nap with this but it can be done. When you take a walk along the beach and see/hear all the noisy kids you appreciate the adults only at Blue Bay!

Air Transat was delayed both ways (especially coming home where I got home at 6:30am instead of 2:45am) not weather related. Choose wisely.

All in all a successful trip and my family enjoyed it. My mom (76 years old) had a great time and loved the food and staff. My brother loved it all. If you are young there is not much going on. Entertainment is ok but just typical resort stuff. Would recommend for older people and if you are taking your parents away. Thanks for a great xmas trip Blue Bay!

Room Tip: Rooms in 6 and 7 are quieter and upper levels are better if you are ok with stairs.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank jetsetToronto
FRANCISCO D, Guest Service at BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2018

Dear jetsetToronto

Thank so much for coming to BlueBay Villas Doradas and sharing your positive experience.

It’s more than a great pleasure for us to read your positive reviews about us and highlight the great work of our entire Staff specially our animation team, our goal is to offer a service to exceed our customers’ expectations however it would not be possible to get it without our good employees.

We really appreciate that you advice others people to come to our hotel.

Thank you again for your good review.

Best regards

hamler Perez

Reviewed 1 January 2018

I don't know how this hotel has such high reviews on this site. Don't believe the hype. The hotel rooms are old. My room wasn't ready, and when I finally accessed the room, it was dirty. I had to request new sheets, and they didn't stock our mini fridge even though this was part of my room. There were patches of stains on the walls, clearly from leaks in the room previously. There were leaks in the room and in the bathroom. The bathroom shower head also started leaking. I had to call the front desk every day to remind them to clean the room, give us toilet paper, fix the leaks. It was a disaster and the worst hotel room I've ever stayed in. Everything was old and dirty.

The hotel grounds are ok and the beach is nice, but the rooms are horrible. I would never go back. The food and entertainment was ok and the staff are good for the most part. On the first day however we got trapped to listen to sales pitch on buying a membership with the hotel (like a timeshare). The sales pitch was an hour long and it took time away from our vacation. They wouldn't try to stop selling to us. They also charge for everything. I've never been charged to use a safe and when I paid to use it it wasn't working, we had to call someone to fix it.

The rooms were so bad that it makes me think that all the 4-5 star ratings are false positives. I'm surprised anyone would rate this hotel high based on the condition of the rooms alone.

Room Tip: Just don't book this hotel, all the rooms are crappy although it looks like they are trying to renovate some.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
9  Thank Queen G
FRANCISCO D, Guest Service at BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2018

Dear Queen G.

We thank you so much for having selected BlueBay Villas Doradas to spend your holidays.

On behalf of the entire hotel we want to thank you for sharing your comments and highlight each point of improvement, we are working hard to increase our service quality in order to offer a service that exceeds the expectations of our customers. We want to apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay. We consider your comments as an opportunity of improvement.

Our expectation is to have our entire customer back to the resort every year for that reason working on the customer’s reviews and solve is very important for us.

Reviewed 30 December 2017

After we booked this hotel I was a bit perplexed at the good reviews but also some consistently pretty bad reviews on here. Having visited - I get it.

We arrived quite late at night - and our room (2205) was awful. It was maybe 50ft from the main stage, and the walls were paper thin. We could hear not only music but conversation very clearly. There wasn't even bedding - the bed had a sheet and that was it. Also a cheese & meats plate that had been left out for who knows how long - it was quite late at this point. This is an odd choice, don't know why they can't do a fruit basket, or nothing at all. After about 30 seconds in this room we turned around and went back to reception. Because it was late (after 11pm) they said there was nothing they could do, and they would change the room in the morning. It was a really bad first impression. Even if you're someone who stays out until the wee hours you would not have appreciated this room because it's right in the centre of where workers congregate/clean up in the very early morning and you can hear them talking and shouting to each other.

(Which is related to the check-in -- apparently, if you arrive late at night, reception closes. Basically a guy meets you and it's kind of a big unorganized powwow where everyone arriving fills out paperwork all together. Wasn't great customer service. They know when guests are arriving and should keep reception open??)

In the morning, THANKFULLY we were able to change rooms, to the 6000 block. It was like a completely different hotel. If we had to stay in the other room (I understand they became fully booked a couple of days later) this would be a very different review. I feel awful for those who have to stay in the hotel blocks adjacent to the entertainment area.

Apart from the rooms, the buffet food was better than expected. Having read the reviews here in advance, we didn't bother trying any of the a la carte restaurants. I appreciated the abundance of cold drinking water (in the buffet, your glass is constantly refilled and you can help yourself at all the bars). Since you can't drink the tap water, this is nice.

The beach was nice, and pretty clean. In the morning, crews make several passes to rake up seaweed, and they also pick up garbage around the chairs. The vendors selling stuff are annoying - but they do leave you alone if you decline. Problem is, there must be a dozen different vendors walking around each day and they each approach you at least once.

The pool areas were nice and the pools were very clean and in good repair. Don't understand the comments here about the pools needing work - they aren't brand new, but there's nothing wrong with them. Animation team is good at encouraging people to play games, etc, but borderline pushy about it. Some people just want to relax!

We paid $25 for 25 hours of wifi, which was more than enough. It was also very fast and reliable, even on the beach. This works out to a few dollars a day and I found it perfectly reasonable considering infrastructure is not the same as North America.

Staff were always very friendly but this is typical for this kind of resort (where they want your tips!) Although I don't really get the reviewers gushing over how extraordinary the staff are (they must be exceptional tippers!). Our entire time there, no one introduced themselves to us except the timeshare guys and some of the animation team who wanted us to leave them good reviews on surveys they pass out.

One (odd) complaint - when the rooms are cleaned, the cleaning lady takes your old towels but it's a different person who brings new towels, and not until hours later. If you're like us, and like to stop in the room mid-day for a shower, this is annoying. There were signs saying that if you leave your towels hanging up, they won't be changed - but they always took them anyway. We opted to leave the 'do not disturb' on for a few days to avoid this, and one day I had to call reception after waiting hours for someone to bring towels. I've never experienced this anywhere else.

A tip for coffee drinkers- the coffee served in the buffet in the mornings is quite good. Everywhere else, if you ask for a coffee, you get a "vending machine" coffee. Apparently though, adjacent to the pool area there's a coffee bar set up for most of the day where you can help yourself. I learned this on the last day :) and had been thinking it was set up for special functions on previous days. Would have been good to have a decent coffee by the pool instead of the machine garbage.

Shuttle service was very reliable and perfectly on time through Air Transat.

I'm very on the fence as to whether we'd ever go back. In my opinion, the rooms in the 6000/7000 blocks are the only acceptable ones and without a guarantee of this, I don't think we'd risk it.

Room Tip: The 6000 and 7000 blocks have the nicest rooms
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank emilybean

Dear emilybean .

Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here from December 21-December 28 and will definitely be returning!
The staff were very friendly and helpful throughout the entire resort. Our room was cleaned every day and our bed was a king and very comfy. Our bathroom was very small but not a big deal, loads of hot water. In another review, I read there were no drawers in the rooms but there is, they are in the closet which is nice and big!
The buffet had an excellent selection of food and it was all delicious. Antonio was our man in the main dining room, very attentive and always smiling. I read a review that said the staff ignore you if you don't tip and this is not true at all!
The beach was fantastic and the ocean was very warm. The vendors are not pushy as I read in other reviews
A few minor cons:
Couldn't exchange our pool towel the entire week. Every time we went we were told to come back in twenty minutes and they said that all day long.
The swim up bar is very slow even though it wasn't busy. I stood there for 10 minutes one day while the bar tender did other things that could have waited.
The lounge chairs around the pools need replacing, very uncomfortable.
Other than this, it's an awesome resort and we will definitely going back in 2018!
Happy New Year Blue Bay!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Laura F

Dear Laura F.

Thank you so much for coming to BlueBay Villas Doradas and sharing your positive experience.

It’s a great pleasure for us to read your positive review about us and highlight the great work of our Staff and point of improvement, we always work very hard in order to exceed our customers’ expectations however it would not be possible to get it without our good employees.

We hope that you back for many years.

Thank you again for your good review.

Reviewed 22 December 2017

This resort is small and is not in the best shape. There are a lot of areas that need repair, mainly the guest rooms. We upgraded to a superior room, but we had all sorts of issues. The safe did not work, even though we paid for it, and there were no blankets on our bed. The room was filthy when we arrived, the bathroom had not been properly cleaned and there was a lot of sand and hair on the floors. Our door handle broke and we were stuck in our room for an hour while someone climbed up our balcony to remove and replace the door handle.

We sent an email to the management team and were pleasantly surprised by the response. We had management's personal attention and they resolved all of the issues they could. We were offered a free massage and a candlelight dinner. The manager also compensated us for one night's stay for our troubles. It felt like more than we needed, as the issues were an annoyance but eventually dealt with. We appreciated very much the attention of Ines and her team.

The maintenance issues aside, we had a nice time. There are a lot of fun activities each day, like mini golf, darts, pineapple tossing and beer pong.

We loved the beach bar. Franklin was by far the best bartender, and he made us Franklin specials all week long.

Overall, the resort is in rough shape and needs work, but the staff are excellent and friendly. The beach has limited seats and shade, so get down early to claim a spot. The food is not amazing, maybe a 3/5. No room service available.

Room Tip: Superior rooms are much larger than the regular, it's nice to have a balcony.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple