I picked this resort for its size, beach location and mostly its adults only venue. And for that it did fit the bill. I was also looking forward to a quiet relaxing holiday....
I summarize my observations below:
- Location, size and cleanliness or resort
- Variety of food
- Staff friendliness and helpfullness (front desk the exception here - read more below)
- Nice beach with sufficient shade
- Clean, warm pools and ocean
- Rooms. Yes I knew the rooms are small and basic. But I just wanted a quiet room in a quiet area of the complex. Didn't happen. First room they gave me was right next to the stage and pool bar. (??). 2nd room was right by the parking lot, so again no privacy or quiet. Then I paid for an upgrade to balcony room and they still stuck me right in front of the pool. By then I just gave up. The walls are paper thin. My neighbours were TV junkies - had the TV on all the time they were in their room. Sounded like it was in my room.
- Front desk. Wow. Talk about being masters of giving you the run-around. Internet not working..'come back this afternoon'...then 'come back tomorrow morning'....etc. Answer was always to 'come back' Didn't bother helping me get the service somewhere else like at the plaza or at the next door Barcelo. Want to change rooms? Same story. "Come back tomorrow morning'....'come back later this afternoon'....come back 'in ten minutes'.....etc. etc. Finally had to take it up with my tour rep (who was wonderful!) and I did get a room change. (Still noisy though)
- Weird Buffet service. This is how this works. The sign says to please wait to be seated. Unfortunately the lady who supposedly seats you is too busy putting cutlery down on the tables. Most people tire of waiting so they seat themselves. Once you're sitting down, you then have to wait for the guy who brings the napkins. Then you have to wait for the guy/gal to bring you glasses. Then you wait for the guy/gal to bring you water and/or wine. Should you want something to drink other than that, good luck to you since you will have another long wait. This I found very bizarre. Why not just set the tables with ALL OF THE ITEMS at once?? Some days I was finished my lunch by the time my water arrived. Most days it never made it.
On property you get hassled for time shares or the vacation club. Now I just brush these guys off since I know what they are selling. However, I still did not like their approach. They are not terribly up-front in what they are selling. They will say that they want to tell you about the 'hotel promotions' or show you some 'brochures'. Yes they have a right to sell their wares. But why not be up-front and honest about it? If the product is that darn good...why do they have to use scum-bag tactics to sell this? I was NOT impressed!
On the beach you will be constantly harassed to buy cigars, trinkets, ugly paintings, manicures, pedicures, massages, hair-braiding, banana boat rides, catamaran trips, jewellery, and just about every other product imaginable.
Off property you will be approached with golf promotions, money exchange, restaurant coupons, horse and buggy rides, taxis, private tours, bus tours...and just about everything for sale.
If you happen to be female, you will be harassed to go out dancing..by just about every male from the age of 12 to 80. You can just about forget a quiet leisurely walk.
Worst wine I have ever tasted. My friends make better home-made stuff than what this resort serves. They should be ashamed of themselves for serving the cheap nasty swill they do. I would be embarassed to serve this at my home. And the a la cartes serve the same shameful crap. Nasty.
Feel free to email or message me if you have further questions.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- BlueBay Villas Doradas is an Adults Only 24 hour All Inclusive resort in Puerto Plata, was completely refurbished in 2006 providing facilities and rooms of the highest quality. This hotel in Puerto Plata, which is only for the over 18s, is an ideal place for couples to relax or enjoy their honeymoon or wedding. Its location - literally next to the 18-hole Playa Dorada golf course designed by Robert Trent Jones – makes it a favourite among golfers.The hotel’s rooms and suites are equipped to the highest standard, in keeping with the quality of the resort and its recent refurbishment – all include cable TV, mini bars and ironing facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with World Independent Hotel Promotion, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TravelUp, Expedia, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bluebay Villas Doradas Hotel Puerto Plata
- Bluebay Hotel Puerto Plata
- Bluebay Hotel Doradas
- Blue Bay Getaway Villas Doradas
- Blue Bay Getaway Dominican Republic
- BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata