“We must have gone on an off day”

Mares Restaurant & Lounge
Ranked #3 of 120 Restaurants in Puerto Plata
Price range: US$6 - US$36
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Casual & elegant. Creative cuisine with local fusion of products, one of the best chefs of the Dominican Republic, Rafael Vasquez. Situated in a private tropical garden, pool side bar and terrace, air condictioned indoor dining area, wine cellar, a local favorite spot, and a place you will remember.
“We must have gone on an off day”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We expected much more from Mares based on the reviews but when the photo of the chef on the website is of him in his chef's coat submerged in water up to his chest in the pool, I guess we should have known better. There was a server and a bartender working the night that we went and even though we were one of three tables there, the server dropped an amuse-bouche for us without explanation. We tried to stop him to ask given my husband has a nut allergy, which seemed a difficult concept to grasp at every restaurant we went to...even in Spanish, and he said he'd be back but never returned. It never really improved from there. The food was bland, in my opinion, and the restaurant is located in a residential neighborhood where, when we there, one of the neighbors had their music blasting from their amplified car stereo system.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank aetienne1
RRVH, Owner at Mares Restaurant & Lounge, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
You must have a on and off day, since you arrive to our restaurant, fitting with you husband, we are very sorry that you have that expirient we us, I will recomend if you have a day like that don't go out is better to stay home or in you room in the hotel, Question what a picture have to do, regarding to the quality of the service or food in a restaurant, creative is a sing that you are a life, and life is beautifull , i don have much to responde sorry. change the spectation in life and everything will smile to you, and one day you will thing that litle place in puerto plata call Mares made my life better thanks.

New York City, New York
“A great find!”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We chose this restaurant based on TripAdvisor reviews after our first choice was booked that evening. What a great find! The restaurant was not crowded and we were the only table to sit outside overlooking the pool and it was like having our own private dinner. The service was excellent and the prices were reasonable. Food was great and we left stuffed! The appetizers are tasty and of generous portions - the beet salad and plantain sushi roll were both excellent choices. Wait staff was very attentive - overall a great experience!

• Visited February 2014
Dundee, United Kingdom
“A great surprise find”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We were recommended to try this restaurant by the rep at our hotel Vicki. We were not disappointed. The food was outstanding. We were looking for somewhere special to go to celebrate our wedding anniversary and we were delighted from start to finish. The quality of food served here is 5*. The menu offers seafood, lamb, goat and beef. The food is of a high standard but it is also beautifully cooked and presented. We enjoyed it so much we booked a table and returned the following week. Definitely worth a visit.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank MrsS_12
vancouver
“Lovely Location and Great food”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We have dined here several times and we have never been disappointed. The food is always delicious and beautifully presented. The waiters are always sweet and very attentive. The restaurant ambiance is very nice it feels very romantic and classy. Food recommendations are the Tempura Shrimp Appetizer is out of this world good as is the Scallop Risotto in a Pumpkin sauce. We live in the area and it is so nice to find a restaurant with the quality of food and ambience that you would expect from a 5 star restaurant in the States or Canada. We will be back and we look forward to many more lovely enjoyable evenings spent at MARES...

• Visited February 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“So good I even dreamt about it :)”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

This restaurant is probably on of the best restaurants in puerto plata. The ambience is very relaxing and romantic. There is outdoor seating with a nice bar and poolside views. Inside you have a very welcoming space with impressive art work. The service was excellent after every dish the chef would come and interact with us asking how was our meal. We had some sushi to start and the fusion of flavors was Delish. Next I had spaghetti with melting burata circling the spaghetti in the center. . . . OH wow it was to die for I literally had dreams that was eating it again hehe. My husband had a steak with vegetables but my dish was so good I didn't even get to try his all I know is that he loved it. For desert my husband had a creme Brûlée tasted like I was back in France and I had the chocolate volcano with ice cream. Over all I recommend thus experience to anyone that goes to either puerto plata or anywhere in the north it's so worth it.

• Visited December 2013