“~”

Freestyle Catamaran Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Relaxing out on the crystal clear waters, the caribbean sun on your back and the breeze in your hair is just the start of a day of fun with the FREESTYLE CATAMARANS crew. As we sail from Puerto Plata down to the largest living coral reef on the north coast the day is just begining. As the staircase lowers into the cool sparkling waters the underwater garden awaits your discovery. With two snorkel stops on the day, food, drinks and an attentive crew ready to cater your every need this is all you need for a fabulous day out. Guaranteed to create memories that will last you a lifetime. So reserve now and avoid disappointment. See you soon.
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Let me just say--the snorkeling is great. We went to 2 different spots and were there for a good amount of time. The lunch served was okay... but we stayed anchored for lunch for WAY too long--a good 2 hours, with no breeze and the sun beating down on us. The crew is really what made this cruise miserable for my family and I. Yes, they seemed nice and entertaining, but they started hitting on me and other women and making sexual innuendos. One guy even decided it was appropriate to dance up on me while my mother was standing next to me. I did not appreciate that. Very touchy. They were extremely unprofessional and I believe they were drinking (all but the captain). Granted, as the cruise went on, people got drunker and drunker and some of the women bought into the ploy but it was disgusting to sit and watch this unprofessional behavior. I just wanted to get off the boat! They decided to set up the sails for the ride back, so it took MUCH longer than it normally would have. Hey, the more drunk the people, the more tips, right? We finally pulled into the resort area and we waited a half hour for a small little motor boat to pick us up from the catamaran and bring us to shore. We were packed into that boat--17 of us to be exact. If I had known that we had to take a small boat into shore, I would have reconsidered. My mother has a bad knee and were weren't expecting for her to have to climb in and out of the boat. By the end of the trip, I had just had it. It was dragged out for FAR too long. Not the right trip to choose if you are looking for a nice few hours of snorkeling. If you want to get completely wasted and get hit on constantly by an unprofessional crew, this is the trip for you.

2  Thank Sally F

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We took the Freestyle Catamaran tour on March 17 (St. Paddy's Day!) this year and it was awesome. We booked with Luis on the beat at Blue Bay Villas Doradas. The catamaran was big enough for all to find a place to relax comfortably. We sat up on the bow near the netting. Lots of sun...lots! The crew was phenomenal...friendly, fun, knowledgeable....did I mention fun?
We traveled by motor to Sosua Bay (it is stunningly beautiful) and despite BIG waves, it was a good trip out. We anchored in Sosua (the Bay is protected enough to be much more calm) and snorkeled at two reefs. Brilliant snorkeling. We love Sosua...so clear, lots of beautiful fish.
Between snorkeling, we had a delicious cold lunch on the catamaran...salads, bread, meat, cheese...enough choice for all.
One thing about the snorkeling....the crew keeps an eye on everybody, and does a great job getting everybody prepped with equipment. They disinfect and rinse the snorkels/masks before, during and after snorkeling...that was great to see!
Then it was drinking time! Not a trip for kids, as it's more about the partying....and these guys know how to make it fun. Your cup will hardly empty and they will be there to refill it...again and again. Music cranking....the crew dances, jokes...and climbs....one guy "Spaghetti Legs" climbs a rope up to the mast hand over hand...no feet...just hands....crazy.
The catamaran sails back under full sail, which is just marvelous...while the partying goes on. We met some really nice folks and got lots of sun...and a good buzz on St. Patrick's Day. I highly recommend the Freestyle Catamaran trip....as I said, our best excursion/tour yet!
Don't forget to bring your camera, hat, sunscreen, and tips! These guys really worked hard and deserved a great tip (the tipping bucket gets passed at the end, and I didn't see anybody holding back...a testament to the crew and how much fun they made the trip!)

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I did this tour with my mom, we had a wonderful time!! Rico Suave and his crew were great! They were friendly and helpful, they treated my mom like she was their "mama!" Lunch was decent and the drinks were flowing. We really had a great time and would recommend this trip to everyone!!

Reviewed 3 April 2014

My girlfriend and I took a trip to Puerto Plata in hopes of a fun vacation! This catamaran excursion definitely made our trip!!! We did other activities as well--Paradise Island, Waterfalls, Zip lining/horseback riding, but the Catamaran excursion was definitely towards the top of the list!

The staff was so welcoming and fun! There was plenty of room to move around! The lunch was great! The boat was very nice and clean! There were no children yelling or screaming. The boat took us snorkeling to 2 different places. We also cruised around some really beautiful locations! The weather was perfect--it was half cloudy (and drizzled at 1 point, which was a nice relief), but for the most part it was sunny. The cloudiness obstructed the snorkelers' vision in the water from what I heard--I don't snorkel, so it didn't impact me. I remained on the boat with a few others.

I would say that the only negative was a group of French individuals, who kept puffing on their cigarettes (I wouldn't even be able to tell you how many packs they went through)...they sat in front of the boat, so all of their cigarette smoke blew into everyone else's faces...I would recommend for the excursion planning team, to maybe ask smokers to sit in the back of the boat in the future. It was just very inconsiderate for everyone else to have to experience 2nd-hand smoke during such an otherwise beautiful excursion!

1  Thank MTR879
Reviewed 26 March 2014

The bottom line is it is very hard to enjoy a day out on a boat when it is honestly jammed with twice as many people as it should. The staff was great and a lot of fun. We saw dolphins, the snorkeling was decent but all of it was overshadowed by the fact there was absolutely no where to sit or stand without bumping into other people. Add to the mix the enormous, speedo wearing, chain smoking Quebecois and you have a recipe for disaster. I have no idea what the lunch tasted like because it was inhaled by the first group in line and all I got was some soggy cole slaw. I'm not a stickler for rules but this boat would not have made it out of port in the US before the Coast Guard turned it back around for safety reasons.

1  Thank FastPhil87