“200% satisfied”

Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Montreal, Canada
“200% satisfied”
Reviewed 17 April 2011

I travelled a lot in Puerto Plata for the next few month and this hotel is by far the best hotel in town. My husband and I visited a few resorts of our wedding and we agree that the Be Live Carey was really the best choice for this special day. We were 18 Canadians (from 25 to 60 years old) that stayed at the hotel, some of them never travel before, other travel a lot in the Carabeeans and everyone loved their stay.
The service and the amenities are perfect. I never saw an hotel as clean as this one, the room, the pools,the restaurants, all bathrooms on site are well clean. The buffet has a huge variety and it changed every day. The spa is incredible, they offer plenty of service and it is very professional. The hotel staff is friendly and polite, they all work very hard to make our stay unforgettable.
A special thanks to Ramona Monte, her assistante and Danitza for their incredible work on our wedding. I also want to thanks the bellboy for all the assistance they give to my brother who's physically impaired. The resort has a lot of stairs but we always have someone to assit him. My parents celebrate their 35 anniversary and they receive special treats as well. This hotel and his staff will do all they can to make your journey in the Dominican Republic the best you'd ever had. We will be back at the Be Live Carey and I recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Stephanie T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,038)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 15 April 2011

My husband and I just returned from a 1 week stay at Be Live Grand Ambar. Overall, we enjoyed our stay, but there are a number of things that were lacking which we hope will be fixed as the resort establishes itself.

Check In:
We arrived at the resort around 10PM and were greeted by a very friendly and enthusiastic man at the lobby who we later learned was the general manager. He checked us in and told us that we will be staying at room 41313 which is an updated oceanview junior suite that we booked and requested through an email sent to the hotel a week and a half before our arrival. We were then informed that we can get late night snacks at the snack bar which is very close to our room. We were then driven to our room in a golf cart by a bellhop who brought all our luggages up and set up the AC. After getting settled, we walked to the snack bar and found it closed. We walked all the way back to our room, called front desk to ask where we can get something to eat at this time. We were then told that we could go to the buffet. So we went all the way up to the top level, not knowing where the buffet was at that time and found food at Brazilian restaurant instead...snacks were being served there and not at the buffet. We also picked up a lock and key for the safe that night. it cost us $21 for the week.

Room:
The updated junior suite is really impressive. It's big, felt open and nicely furnished. There's even Christmas lights under the bed, which i liked. I didn't find the bed as bad as some others reviewers did. It's true that it is only a mattress, no box frame underneath, so it does dip when you toss and turn. I didn't have any problems with the pillows since i like really firm ones. So if firm pillows are not your preference, there are only 2 fluffy pillows on the bed. We didn't have any problems with the motion detector for the electricity, except the AC didn't turn on at all for about 2 days straight. The room was still cool though so it didn't bother us too much. The bathroom is very nice! No troubles with the water temperature, but there was often a foul smell that came from the toilet. The view from the balcony is beautiful!

Resort Grounds & Pools:
The resort is beautiful. It was always being cleaned. The stairs are really not as bad as we were expecting from what we've read. They do get me out of breath and we always planned our days so that we would not have to go up the stairs more than 2 times a day.

An interesting thing happened while we were there. We woke up one day to helicopters flying right above the resort. On our way to lunch, we found an official looking man in a suit who stopped us and told us that we couldn't go in the direction we were headed because the president of Dominican Republic was at the resort and was heading our way. We were told to take another route. So we walked over to a map to see what route to take. Then we heard some men calling out to us and noticed that a large group of people were coming down the stairs followed by what looked like a mob of paparazzi. In short, we were chased by the president's security staff away from the president. Very random and weird, but we just laughed about it later on. We're still not sure what the president was doing there that day, but it may have been a conference or something as there were a lot of people dressed in business attire in the resort that day.

The day that the president was at the resort was the only day that we saw all the nice waterfalls at the pools fully operational. On any other day, the waterfalls were not running which was really unfortunate because they look really nice. We favoured the beach pool and used that one everyday. Any other pool just felt too deserted and/or exposed. the beach pool was were most of the people were, it's has a view of the beach and was extremely close to our room.

Spa:
We did the special offer that we saw advertised at the lobby. it was $120 for a 60-minute aromatherapy couples massage. The massage was great and the spa pool was nice to swim in.

Food:
The food was really nothing special. We've had better at cheaper, lower-ranking resorts. Any beef dish was always very tough. Beef is just not good at this resort. We tried both the asian and mexican restaurant and didn't find anything special from either. we really wanted to try the Brazilian since we heard it's the best one, but when we went up to make a reservation, we were told that they were full. I still don't understand how they can be full since the resort was only about 10-15% capacity when we were there. And I dislike the fact that you had to make a la carte reservations the day of. You can't book all your dinners for the week. There is, by the way, a limit of 3 a la carte dinners per week. The best meal we had was at the mexican theme night at the buffet. We went to the snack bar several times when we didn't want to venture all the way up to the buffet during the day. The buffet at the snack bar was often empty of the meat dishes. So we often ended up ordering from the menu. They don't tell you that there is a menu. It almost felt like a secret some people knew and it felt awkward asking for it the first time since we were so unsure if they even had it and only knew about it from reading reviews. but they do have it so just ask if the choices at the buffet tables is not to your liking. There's about 7-8 choices, but my favourite is the fish and chips.

The day before we left, we were notified on our way up to lunch that the buffet restaurant will now open for dinner only and that lunch and breakfast will be served at the mexican restaurant/snack bar. This may have been due to the low occupancy level at the time we were there, so it's understandable. It would have been nice to have been properly notified of this maybe the night before. But instead we were climbing up the stairs before one of the staff members told us about it.

Service:
This is where I feel the resort really needs to make some improvements. There is absolutely no drink service at any of the pools nor at the bars. You always had to get up and get them yourself. I know it can be argued that you should just get up and get it, but having drink service at the pool, beach or at the bars is a nice touch that other resorts have and we really missed during our stay. There is also no drink service at the buffet restaurant unless you're having wine or water. Those two are the only ones they actually serve at your table. Any other soft drink or juices, you had to get yourself.

Maid service at the room is also not the best we've had. she only really made the bed, brought in fresh towels and put in extra rolls of toilet paper. she didn't clean the floors and didn't even pick up empty bottles of water and cans of pop some days.

Nightly Entertainment:
Can't really comment on this since the one time we tried to watch a show, we ended up walking out. From what little we saw, it was really nothing special.

Lifestyle Resorts reps:
The sales reps came up to us a total of 3 times during the whole week. they usually wait outside of the buffet restaurants or by the beach pool. We just said no in a friendly but firm manner and they left us alone after 2-3 minutes of trying to get us to take the tour. It wasn't as bad as we thought it would be.

Tips for Men:

My husband just wants me to add that the resort is big-man friendly in terms of chairs, except perhaps the ones at the Asian restaurant. We also asked if there's a dress code at the buffet and were told that long pants and closed shoes for men. When we got there, most of the men were in shorts and sandals. So my husband just wore shorts for the rest of our stay, even to the a la carte restaurants.

All in all, the beautiful updated oceanview junior suite really made our stay. If we didn't have that, i would have rated this resort much lower. I don't think we will be returning, and unless i hear of dramatic improvements in the service and food at this resort, I will not be recommending it.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Raichelle
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 12 April 2011

i stayed at the be live grand ambar (ex carey)
this hotel no not desserve the 4 * and half . we change room 2 times ..no hot water ... we wanted to change again and when we arrive to change for the third time ,i notice the fridge was not working... there was always something wrong with the rooms ...then i realise i better stay in my room .... also the people at the reception dont know the answer, if i ask how to take the message let in the bedroom voice mail, cause my the red light was pop up ... ridiculous, and i finally knew the answer from another guest, and finally listened my message 1 day later.
the only thing good of this hotel was the food and the restaurant and bar staff .
dont go there .....

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank maryserivet
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2011

Although some may say I am crazy, I travelled to this resort with 3 children under the age of 8 as my only companions.
I have travelled all over the Caribean,l from 2 stars to 5 stars, both with and without children, and this vacation will rank in the top five.

The Good:
The resort was clean and the grounds were imacculately kept. The seven pools meant alot of variety for the kids. The beach was clean, and lounge chairs were always plentiful. The food was okay, although the a la carte resteraunts cannot exactly be classified as kid friendly. The three kids lived on cereal, chicken breasts, pizza, and fries for the week.
The Better:
The room was air conditioned and had a functioning TV with Disney Channel. Checkout for us was at 1pm, and we were offered a courtesy room to prepare for our late flight. Staff was efficient and patient with the kids during the entire check in/check out process. The resort is extremely close to Ocean World, which was a huge favorite of the kids. We spent an entire day there, and could have easily done two.
The Best:
The kids club. A staff member named JLo made this vacation work for us in so many ways, and I cannot begin to express my appreciation to her. When I discovered that my two older kids could not do the dolphin swim at Ocean World unless I went in the water with them, the kids club and their management rearranged all of their schedules so that JLo could have the day off to come with me and watch my youngest child while I was in the water with the other two. Anderson from the water sports company came with us snorkeling and took the girls out on Banana Boat Rides, and it would not have been possible without them. My three year old son is still asking where Melvin, his bartender is.
The Bad:
I hesitate to put this category in the review, so I will call it "suggestions"
There are ALOT of stairs. This resort is not one I would recommend for anyone with accesibility issues. Although the bellhops are fabulous for driving you in golf carts with your luggage, day to day mobility would be difficult for those with mobility issues.
Towels are only available at the beach, so if you need clean towels, it is about a 7 minute walk to get your towels from the pool at the top of the resort. The plus side to this is that I stuffed my face for 7 days and didn't gain a pound!
Internet access: WiFi is only available in the lobby. A huge selling featrue would be to enable WiFi over the entire resort!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank carolyng4
Reviewed 1 April 2011

We stayed one week at this resort, overall it was nice. During the time we were there it was not to crowded. The room was nice, the only problem really was the shower had a slow drain so at times it felt as if I could a bath. The mattress was so/so. The food was ok. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The pools were clean and not crowded which was a plus. The MJ show was GREAT! It made me miss the king of pop. The only things I didn't care for were the stairs, lots and LOTS of walking. The other would be the white shirts that offer you a tour of the neighboring resort. Grant it, it was nice bit the salesman got downright rude when we declined. I asked for paperwork and he refused to keep talking to me. Once I got home I looked the club up online and I am glad we declined. All in all we had a nice relaxing vacation.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Tjhorton
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 30 March 2011

Let me start by saying we have travelled to the D.R. for the last 14 years. We have been in the good and the bad, but Be Live Carey ranks right up there with the best.
There were 8 in our group, and all enjoyed our stay.
As the other reviews covered most of the areas, I will keep it short.
Our rooms were in bulding 202, nothing fancy but very clean, most days our room was cleaned by 2:30 - 3:00 pm.
The one thing I would change is the mattress, not real comfortable, but still could sleep.
Over all for the price, we had a fantasic 2 weeks, and would certainly return to this resort.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank SueMcc44
Newmarket, Canada
Reviewed 29 March 2011

We travelled with a group of 10 to this resort. Many of us were not very impressed. The food was so-so, not a whole lot of selection or choice of places to eat, don't waste your time on the a la cartes; the older rooms are moldy badly furnished and have a/c and water problems to say the least; the new suites by the beach are nicely renovated although they had issues with the power constantly shutting off; the stairs become a bit of a drag since you are literally sweating by the time you reach the top; there are 7 pools, however, there were always children in the adult pools and the lobby pool was full of bird feces; drinks were watered down and despite the staffs efforts the wait at the bar was always long; I ruined 2 pairs of shorts because bleach splashed up the back of them as they were always cleaning at meal times; there is a terrible sewage smell everywhere and the Lifestyles salesmen are trying to pitch a sale all day long.

I would not travel to this hotel again. This was our second time to Confresi Beach but after our experience at this hotel we will not be going back! I am not a picky person by any means but I have stayed at 3* hotels that have provided us with a more pleasurable vacation.

Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends