“Beautiful Resort,I got more than I expected!!!”

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Chicago, Illinois
“Beautiful Resort,I got more than I expected!!!”
Reviewed 19 August 2011

This is one of the most beautiful resorts I've ever stayed at. I loved it. We were automatically upgraded to junior suit,the staff were very nice and helpful. Food was good. Spa & Massages were awesome (private pool & jacuzzi if u buy a massage) Domestic drinks are free,imported u have to pay for, but I really didn't go there to drink what I drink here in USA. Bartenders made us some great cocktails, and were always very nice. Make sure you meet Tony Montana (sexy black banana) He is the entertainer, and awesome company for a drink. He even got me and my friend a coconut (we were dying to eat one) :))) The room was very big and clean. Everyday sheets & towels were changed ($1 tip everyday went a long way) whenever i needed something the woman that was taking care of our room would make sure i got it. We would leave valuable things laying around the room and nothing was touched. Make sure to buy a lock for the room safe to keep money and passports there. We paid $13/1week for the lock.
The resort has 7 pools & all of them are very well taken care of. During the week the resort is about 20-25% full, on weekends Sat and Sun make sure to schedule an all day activities outside the resort because locals come and they take over. :) They r not THAT bad but a little annoying, so if u schedule activities you should be fine (that's what we did) The only thing i did not like was the beach. The beach is small and dirty. The water is very dirty but i couldn't care less since we had 7 beautiful pools to choose from. The weather was AWESOME! Sun Sun Sun and more SUn :) a little bit windy which makes it perfect, at night is a little chilly but no long sleeves needed,so don't pay attention to the forecasts (they said all week there will be thunderstorms and i didn;t even see clouds)
Make sure to schedule Ocean World Dolphin Swim it's something u MUST do if u r going to Puerto Plata. We went to the waterfalls as well but im not into high adrenaline activities so i didnt enjoy it as much, but u love high adrenaline it's very cool (Check it out on youtube both Waterfalls Puerto Plata and Ocean world Puerto Plata Dolphin Swim) So i'm pretty sure you are going to love Be Live Grand Carey :)

Room Tip: Junior Suit was amazing. Just like on the pictures on Be live Grand Carey's website.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank MoniCbn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,036)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
College Point, New York
Reviewed 9 August 2011

THE GOOD PARTS: received an upgrade to junior suites instead of standard room. The buffet service was awesome (thanks Alessandra, Jeffry, Bartolomeo, and Jose Miguel)....the people are friendly and service overall is quick. Nice variety of pools. Housekeeping was also very nice and cleaned up pretty well (thanks Carmelina!!). "Rambo" is our entertainer and i must say an EXTREMELY hard working man!!!! i kind of felt bad for him....he never stopped running around. He is pretty funny too. I will miss is entertainment. Overall, friendly staff. Didn't push you to buy those so-called time shares either. Alfred, the tour expert was also very knowledgeable in english and was a pleasure doing business with...paradise island is a must go!!!! We didn't get any food poisoning here, thank goodness! The food overall wasn't bad for an all-inclusive place. Oh and ladies--go into the city (by javilla tours---Wanda's salon) and get your nails done for $5!!!! the girls there were awesome!!
THE BAD PARTS: mice infestation everywhere!!! we had a mouse in our room the first night we stayed there (in building 43) and then shifted us to the 2nd floor (building 41) which wasn't any better. Frank, the manager, did his best to please us, i must say. Jonathan, the 2nd manager was also very patient with us and perhaps spoke the best english there. He was also very helpful and knowledgeable. There was also a bad sewage smell coming out of the air conditioning vents almost daily. we called the technician to fix the problem but apparently throwing some spray into the vents was supposed to fix the problem up? THE BEACH SUCKS!!!!!!! that has to be the worst part of it all. If i could go and do it all over again, i would of gone to punta cana. there isn't very much to do on this resort.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank xxgala1009xx
west sussex, england
Reviewed 8 August 2011

what a shame i don't want to say poor overall, but after experiancing a particularly serious incident at this hotel, we feel we have no choice. We had lovely large interconnecting rooms (junior suites) in the new block (43) down by the beach/pool. lovely views from balconey. Great friendly staff, who work hard. Fab customer relations manager, Danitza (star of hotel). Food overall was great, lovely selection all day every day, didn't really get bored of seeing the same dishes after a two week stay. The al a carte resturants ok. The Brazillian is a meat fest, veggies beware , the Mexican average food but the nicest location, being close to the beach for lovely sunsets! The Asian very strange, not like any thai food we ever had, but fine for a change. Best food to be found in a run down shack on the beach to the left of the hotel, wonderful lobster!! Drinks,.... that first pina colada is like nectar, but like all good things you can get sick of it.!! Beach was lovely, with plenty of space for sun or shade. Pools... choice of 7 which had different functions and ambiences. Entertainment,... none to speak off for the children, ie proper kids club, but our 9 yr old son enjoyed making friends of all nationalities in the pool, and the animation team worked hard on all sorts of activities for kids from 7 to 77.
Now for the dirt! Unfortunately the hotel is running below capacity, so while its lovely calm, chilled and quite during the week come friday pm the locals arrive on weekend mini breaks or day passes, and all hell breaks loose!! You can't get to the bar or in the canteen, they take over in very large family groups and seem to do as they wish. This includes entering our room at 4am one morning having purcurred a maids pass key!!
Us and other UK guests were forced to buy weekend excursions to "get away" from the hotel, this can't be right!
Good tip is to book the al a carte resturants for fri/sat/sun evenings so that you don't have to fight the locals for dinner!
Having spoken to other tourists from other hotels near by (RIU hotel being one) this problem is wide spread.

Room Tip: bloke 43 , junior suites are the best. interconnecting rooms for the kids Recently built
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank nade02
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We as a family of four had a great time (August 2-6, 2011). The hotel room was nice and cool after a day of having fun at the beach and at the pools under the hot sun. Our 8 year old daughter took advantage of your six pools in the hotel. We enjoy the breakfast, lunch and diner buffet. The Rodicio restaurant was the best. We were very well treated. All the emplyees were very friendly and helpful. The beach didn't convince us at all so part of time we were at the pools. The guys at the theater even they weren't pros they made us laugh with their crazy jokes. The free drinks at the bars around the hotel I think were waterdown. But the Presidente beer was good at least it wasn't waterdown. The SPA services were expensive. The food was great even though we saw flies around the tables and around the dessert counter. My family wants to go back again to your hotel so I will give them a big surprise one of these days. This time I will go for more time. I will recommend you to my friends. Some of my best friends, when we told them about our time in your hotel now they are making plans to come with us the next time we go. Thank you for your services guys. Your friends fron NYC. JAJBV.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Jeanjube
new york
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We went a while back in March, but never got around to write something to share. I visited with my girlfriend for 5 days, just when the hotel opened so we took advantage of some great deals online - good value for money.

The resort was very quiet and a lot of rooms were empty - which was great. The best rooms were refurbished near the sea, in front of the pool. Only disadvantage was that the neighbours could be heard when they spoke as the rooms connected through a door - worth asking about the lay-out beforehand.

The staff were very nice and we left USD1 a day for the housekeeping, who left us extra beer if we asked for it. We also tipped the bartenders and that helped with getting better drinks.

Overall, the liquor quality is quite low since you are at an all-inclusive resort - so just be prepared for this. They have nicer drinks, but you'll probably pay extra for it. Simple economics. The watersports are nice, borrowing a kayak for instance, and included. There are a number of pools for children and non- which is good. The room itself was really good, but we stayed at a nice one with a bathtup/jacuzzi inside - definitely worth paying a little extra.

The buffet was our favourite, even though the restaurants were very popular - you had to make a reservation for the restaurants, so do that when you arrived if you can, as it books up quickly. Honestly though, we enjoyed the buffet the most, and they had a wide variety of items - some quite healthy.

Oceanworld is right next door and you can swim with dolphins and see birds and such - quite nice for a day, but pricey. We also went to Jasmine Spa for a day, which was amazing - highly recommend it.

The beach was nice, we just had a lot of wind unfortunately, but it was mid-March when we went.

Our Customer Service Manager, Danitza Smeins, was amazing and even though we promised we wouldn't mention her, she was such a delight and made our holiday perfect. She helped us with any questions in advance, as there were issues with the reservation through Orbitz (which I wouldn't recommend). We were also able to upgrade our room if we paid a little extra (worth it).

All in all, good service, nice people, beautiful room, nice location, plenty of trip opportunities, and good value for money --> when you see a deal, do it.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank srifrodo
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2011

It is a absolutly great 5 star hotel as all the reviews said. Its lovely peaceful and relaxing just what you for a 5 star 2 week break. The staff work really hard to ensure you have a great stay.They just couldnt do enough for you. However it is only a great 5 star hotel Monday to Thursday, but you hit Friday, Saturday and Sunday and all the locals use the hotel for 15 to 20 dollars a night!!! All they do is eat (which is an understatment) and drink alcohol. They turn it into a 3 star B&B!! They run the nice helpful staff into the ground and they were never greatful. Th On the last weekend that we were there the manager did open up the spa for a few of us that complained about the locals.ey really want this hotel to work, and it is a great place to go but they need to stop the locals from using it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank specialbrownie85
Winston-Salem, NC
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My family of five (my husband, daughter 12, son 10, and daughter 7) just returned from a Be Live stay, July 20-26. This is only my second review but I feel I must tell others our experience. A serious incident occurred with a family we met from the UK while we were there, but I'll get to that if you will bear with me.

Front desk-friendly but limited authority to do much. Frank the manager very friendly. He greeted me by name when we arrived.

Rooms-we requested and received connecting rooms, two double beds in one rm and a king in the other (block 42000), obviously by the pix on other Tripadvisors' posts we had renovated ones. Beautiful large rooms with stone tile, huge bathroom and jacuzzi tub, patios on both sides. Our a/c worked well enough but the kids' side did not but they didn't complain so oh well. Mini-fridges were a joke but kids didn't care. We tipped the maids $5 a day and left a note in Spanish for more water, coffee, etc. but never got anything. Water in showers was hot 50% of the time. Power went out A LOT. Mattresses on beds were terrible-my husband's back was really in a state.

Food-buffets are edible at best most of the time. I found what I liked most of the time and stuck with that. The kids loved everything but they don't eat buffet at home so they were in heaven. Brazilian steakhs was great but still had buffet for everything but the meat with same stuff on it. Snack bar next to the beach was convenient. Wine is undrinkable. Never tried any other a la cartes. We ate three times at a restaurant next to the resort right on the beach (can't remember the name, sorry, it's right next door) and it was fabulous. Real food with real restaurant service. Bars served watered down drinks-fine by me as I am a light weight, but my husband was disappointed. Liquor is really low quality. There are no blenders-weird. Moderate wines and liquor are at a charge. We bought wine at the steakhs because I just couldn't drink anymore beer. We emptied our pockets in tips for the bartenders, maybe helped a little. We went to a shop outside the wall of the resort and bought a bottle of absolute and a red wine for our room.

Pools/Beach-pool by the beach is rowdy but fun with volleyball, water aerobics. One by lobby is laid-back with swim-up bar. Bartenders there are much nicer. Beach is absolutely perfect and beautiful; children loved it! The waves were perfect for boogie boarding and the trees, sand, breeze was a delight. Cocktail service at pool, beach would have been awesome-got my exercise going back and forth to the bar. Security at the beach was a comfort.

Tours-we ended up going through a private tour guide named Jose Miguel (calls himself Macarena Miguel) who is locally licensed and this was the highlight of our vacation. For two days we saw the real Puerto Plata, driving through both the wealthy and the less wealthy family communities, ziplining, riding the cable car up the mountain, shopping, eating in town, learning the history, all at our own pace in an air conditioned van. Even the kids weren't bored! Miguel kept us safe and entertained. He told us the price up front and saved us from two days in the rain stuck in our rm in the resort trying to stay away from the DR locals that had taken over. Read on for that drama.

Locals-this was what left my husband and I counting down the days until we could go home. On Friday of our trip, the entire resort changed in every way. The Dominican locals came in for the weekend, and I mean the occupancy of the resort went from 25% to about 75% over night. We had to fight our way to the food at the buffet, drinks at the bar, a place at the beach, a place at the pool, you get the picture. We felt like second class citizens, and they didn't seem too keen on us being there, smirking and speaking Spanish seemingly about us. The resort catered to them, giving them rides anywhere they wanted to go on the golf carts (I never rode on one one time) serving them first, it was not fun. My son's shirt and crocks were stolen only to be worn by a DR boy the next morning who ran when we saw him wearing them!! And these individuals were very loud and pushy. They just took over. There were 8-10 in a two bed room! And they kept us up all night running through the halls at all hours laughing and yelling and slamming doors. We spoke with several other guests from the UK and Europe who felt the same way and were wondering, "what happened?". The bartender laughingly told us that at 6pm on Sunday they would all be gone. And sure enough, they were, and everything went back to the way it was. The staff were all smiles again, and speaking English to us again, and accepting our tips.

And finally, The "Incident"-We met a lovely family from the UK who unfortunately had two men break into their room, through their children's room at 4am while we were there. They woke up scared to death and the men told them they thought it was their room. Our friend chased them out of the room and took them to security, who demanded to see their room key. They told him they had lost it, and the security individual spoke with a few other people with the hotel staff who let the men go!! Our friend (the husband) then had to work with the hotel staff the entire next day to get it sorted out. His wife was on the beach with us and her son when she saw one of the men on the beach!! They were still there!! The husband was told they were already checking out that day anyway. So the concern is that there are keys floating around that open more than one door (maybe even master keys) and how can one feel safe with that knowledge? Our friends were to be there for a whole week longer and were considering going back home as they didn't feel safe. I am appalled that these individuals were allowed to remain at this resort. That is SCARY. And we had to sleep there another night (with one eye open I can tell you that). I feel for the people that work there, as these are good jobs with good wages, but providing a safe and secure environment for guests should be a resort's number one priority. I understand that the DR does things differently but those people should have been questioned and thrown out of there immediately, and I hope that the whole key situation is sorted out for all other guests. My advice? Don't do it-it's not safe.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family