“Great Hotel service and beach!!!!”

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Hotel service and beach!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

The rooms really did exceed my wife and my expectations! We were very satisfied with the service as well and found the staff to be helpful and very friendly. We had never been down to DR before and we were very pleased with the beaches. Stunning and really great swimming, the kids loved the water and we spent most of our time on the beach or at the resorts pool! Great dining as well, we would recommend this resort and would most certainly go back there!

9 Thank William E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,006)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

We traveled with Nolitours/Transat the second week of January. Flight and transfers both way were fine.

We arrived at the hotel around 11pm with a tired 2 year old. Check in was fairly quick. Our rooms were already preassigned. My room was in block 309. I mentioned that I had emailed the resort and asked for a particular room. I had put in a request to have a room in block 41 or 43 before arriving. The customer service rep responded to say she will put a note on my file and my request “will be accomplished.” I was told that they did not have it on file and rooms in the 400’s are considered an upgrade for my tour company. We took the room (30932).

This room was a 2 star at best. The best thing about it was the large balcony. The toilet had mould on the seat and was stained we had to turn it off to sleep at night because it was leaking. I quite honestly did not want to sit on it. The tub had mould, our sink was cracked. There were holes in the wall from where the make up mirror and hair dryer had been removed. The room only had three small drawers and 5 hangers in the closet to store clothes. The TV remote didn't work and it was an older style television which took up most of the space on the desk. The fridge looked new but it didn’t keep things cold. I called that night to let the front desk know that I would like to change rooms in the morning.

We complained about our room to the Nolitours rep our first morning. She told us that none of the standard rooms were renovated and we weren’t entitled to one which was. I knew this was not true as others who’d arrived with us had renovated standard rooms with flat screen TV’s. I showed her (and the front desk) the email from the hotel confirming the room request. She said I should never have believed them. She offered to change us to the Iberostar. We were willing to do it. Then she mentioned we would have to pay extra since the Iberostar is an upgrade and she would have to find out how much more. We decided to stay as I knew there were nicer rooms and I’d spoken to guests who had booked standard rooms and were staying the in 400 section. Overall I found her particularly unhelpful (note to future guests, talk to the dark haired rep, not the blonde one).. She was always saying “I don’t want to disappoint you but…”. At the welcome meeting we were told that transat had told all the travel agents weeks ago that there are no longer unlimited a la cartes and we were probably just going to get the one that was preassigned to us.

I ended up having to line up 7 times at the front desk to complain about our room. Each time I had to repeat the problems as if they were new. No one ever came to fix anything. The first six times they took down a list of everything that was wrong and said someone would be there to fix it. I asked if they were going to replace the toilet/toilet seat and sink. I was told ‘yes, that’s what we do’. I was told the hotel was fully booked and I could not be moved. I spoke to the same person at the front desk 3 times. The third time I spoke to him when his manager was around he told me that we’d never spoken before and it was his first day at work. Monday morning I was told to come back at 5 for a room change. Thankfully this happened and I was moved to 40204. The rooms in the 400 section look like the ones in the pictures. There was a separate shower and jetted tub.The bed was less comfortable but the rest of the room and space made up for it. If we had this room from the beginning and I didn’t have to spend so much time having to talk to the front desk I would probably have felt better about this hotel.

I lined up 3 mornings for an extra a la carte. I was successful once. As others have mentioned it is a line up for a waiting list. 75% of the available restaurants are held for VIP members. The first 10 people or so usually get something. If you have more than one room in your party use each one and tell them you haven’t had one yet. We had the Mexican. The nacho bar was good. The burrito which was supposed to be as big as your head was the size of your palm. There was Mexican lunch at the Casablanca the next day and the food really wasn’t much different. The ribs and salmon that other people had ordered looked good. We also had the Seafood/Blue Lagoon. Don’t believe the sign outside, this is not Caribbean cuisine. The food was okay. My shrimp cocktail came with plum sauce. The fried ice cream for dessert was good.

The food in the pearl buffet at the Cofresi was not very good. The Dominican restaurant on the beach was open for breakfast and lunch. For breakfast it literally had the same food as the pearl-maybe a slightly different fruit option. There is no toaster in the Dominican, just a Panini press. I would suggest eating lunch at the Dominican only during prime time as flies can dominate when there are not a lot of people around. This restaurant needed food covers. As others have mentioned there is better selection at the Casablanca in the Tropical. The food would stay warmer if people covered things after taking what they wanted. The food didn’t really taste bad, there was just fairly limited selection- the least we’ve ever had at an AI. The only fruits available were watermelon, pineapple and bananas daily. Papaya, oranges and one day star fruit were also available. The juices were powdered. They did do smoothies with yogurt and fruit at the Casablanca in the morning. The service at the Casablanca was not great. We’d have to walk around the restaurant a few times before finding a clear table or wait for a waiter to clean one. The wine tastes like fizzy apple/grape juice. You can buy decent bottles near the Mexican restaurant. The Tropical had higher end drinks.

They do need more bar staff. There were often just one or two people at the busiest bars and the frost bar near the 200 section pool was only open on our first day.

The Sunday night VIP party was great. We had a bit of rain so it wasn’t the full experience. They still had the decorations up from new years eve. There were huge tables of sushi, all you could eat lobster, fried chicken, pig on a spit, many types salads, oysters, mussels, catfish, swordfish, a decent cheese selection, champagne, higher end drinks, a frozen (dead) shark, burgers and fries for the kids. The performances were good and the set up was quite nice. You did have to watch a lifestyles video prior to the show. (it also plays all the time in the Tropical lobby and guest services at the Cofresi). There was also a brief fireworks show.

We watched the Latin Show which had great dancing. The Michael Jackson show as okay. The clown who did the kids show got them involved. Our toddler enjoyed her.

I've never stayed in a hotel where literally in every line up at the bar, waiting for the a la carte, waiting for your omlette in the morning etc the conversation with the other guest was about how they were unhappy about xyz at the hotel. Others had rooms with no keys, rooms with no water, roaches, toilets that didn’t flush, pipes that had broken and ruined their clothes, or waited 3 days for an extra pillow.

It rained on the Monday so we decided to do the timeshare tour to see the rest of the resort. Ironically, the salesperson showed us two rooms in building 40 as the jr. suite option. The time share price is different for everyone. We were quoted $8K for 15 weeks/25 years of membership. Another couple was $3200 for 20 weeks. Another was $13K for 10. In any case, by the time you factor in flight, the room charge and the AI surcharge the trip is more expensive that that doesn’t include the thousands in members fees. We didn’t go back after the tour to avoid the hard sell, just told him our son was hungry and he could leave us at the Casablanca.

The grounds are quite nice here. They clean all of the stone walkways every morning. There is great care it making sure it looks good. There are 7 pools at the Cofresi/Ambar side and some at the Tropical side. The beach was okay. There isn’t too much room for beach chairs on the actual beach, most of them are up a small set of stairs. There are a couple of beds on the Cofresi beach and hammocks.The water was a bit too rough for swimming when we were there.

We didn’t use the kids club aside from popping in to see what it was like. The women there seemed very attentive and caring. It’s located right outside the kids pool and they do take them swimming. There’s a good selection of toys, board games, craft items, a play house and a Nintendo Wii. There is also a small play area near building 43and the beach with swings and a slide and a play house.

We had a late flight home and needed to use a courtesy room the last day. It took us forever to find the room which was under the pool near the lobby. When we got there the keys didn’t work. We were told that we shouldn’t have locked the doors when we went back to the lobby to inquire.

I would recommend booking a jr. suite on an upper floor before you go. There were people in the 400’s on the first floor complaining of roaches. One of the guests was talking about getting a note under her door letting her know they would be fumigating the rooms in her area the next day.

The grounds and everything on the outside looks great but if you get a room that's not renovated and line up in the a la carte line every morning and hear the stores from other guests and how bad their rooms are and the service is you'll be very unhappy.

We paid about the same for three people for this trip than we did for 2 to (a real) 4.5 star Varadero last year so I guess we got what we paid for!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mellocaramel
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

We were at this resort last year it was known as Be Live Ambar we absolutely loved it the staff was great, food was fabulous so we booked to go again this year again for 2 weeks which turned out to be to long. Apparently the resort has changed hands and had a name change. All the staff was changed, the food was terrible and the service minimal. We thought we were getting a 4 star plus resort and what we got was barely a 2. We were not told of the changes to the resort. We got there at 11am never got our room til 6pm only 2 people to check guests in and there was 200 on our flight trying to get checked in total kaos.Not enough bell boys had to wait to get luggage delivered. The rain that we had for 4 days was unfortunate but couldn't be helped. Could not get any dinner reservations had to stand in line every morning to make one and they would slip a note under you door if you got one.I do not think this is any way to run a business. Was promised 4 a la carte and had 1 in a 2 week span. Asked for wake call never received it needed a luggage pick called twice and had to wait almost an hour. Not to blame the staff they try but not enough people working.I could say more but all I have left to say is I will not go back and I recommend that to anyone that reads this is not to go either

Room Tip: choose a suite or a junior suite buildings 40 41 or 42 right by the beach
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank wabbit53
Kamloops, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

I cannot stress heavily enough that you should never,..... not ever go to this resort. We had a simply terrible experience. The focus is on selling you real estate and hasrassing you every day to go on the "tour". I finally had to be rude to one of the constantly, in your face people trying to get us to go on the reak estate selling tour.
The food was abysysmal. The buffett food was often left out for hours on end and we all suffered some degree of illness. Upon our return to Canda I spent two days in our local Hospital being rehydrated...my kidney function from the food poisoning was severe and I was very fortunate to receive such good health care back here...If we had not returned when we did and sought out emergent medical care I would have suffered complete kidney failure. As it was, my kidney function tests indicated that I was in virtual kidey failure....want to take that chance?..with yourself or any children or friends?
The staff with the exception of our maid and few others were the pits...concerned only with getting a tip out of us. Every morning the front desk area was filled with people complaining about their rooms or the conditions. The smell of the sewers was very evident and there are open sewers which overflowed during the heavy rains that fell on one day.
This is a "Lifestyes Resort". Do yourself a favor and avoid any such resort in your travelling future.
We went with Nolitours and their agent was actually ok but could do very little with the disorganized and frankly inept staff.
If you are going to the Dominican avoid this resort, litteraly, like the plaque.

Room Tip: if you are committed to this resort, get aroom in the 40 series. otherwise don't go here.
9 Thank paul c
Quebec City, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

We hesitated between few resorts before booking at this place and were very disapointed. The main point which made us choose thi hotel was the 7 "à la carte restaurant" which were supposed to be illimited in our Nolitour package. Well good luck getting into one of them. I had to be in line at 8:00 am every morning (yes you have to book every morning), the reservation stars at 9:00 and even if you are first in line you will be on a waiting list and not sure if you will get a place. They will send your coupon between 4:00 pm and 6:00 p.m in your room. I even received my coupon at at 6:15 once for a reservation at 6:30!!!! The buffet suck. The Nolitour lady told us that we were getting sick of drinking too much!! Well, we don't drink and we all got very sick.

Service: The service is lame. The Nolitour team suck. All they do is sell tour. Dominique the representative told me that Wi Fi wasn't available in the hotel when it was in fact available for free at the lobby. The IT zone is a squam and don't bother bringing withe clothes for the party in white they are none. As for the hotel... we got changed room four times as they kept on giving us 1 bed room and we were 3. We we finaly got a 2 beds we got major water infiltration. The same thing happen in another different room we got. Plus the tv didn't work, the alarm clock, the fridg and the lamp either. We even find a cochroach in our bed one morning! Finaly we had to remagnitize our keys few times a day! We ask to repair the fridg and other stuff, the did change the fridg after 3 days of complaining at the front desk... for the water infiltration it took more than 3 hours before someone came. Oh yeah and there is that discusting smell of sewer coming from i don't know were especially if you are in the 40-41 buildings.

We were travelling with an 11 yrs old and the kids club wasn,t intersting for her, we tried the teen club but the guy there was playing video game and told us no activities were planned during the day! As for the other activities announced they are rarely on time on happening at all. We then say Beach Volley Ball it means they put a ball near the net and than it's up to you to put up teams.

VIP: VIP guest gets the best service, the best pool and the best beach. Employee litteraly look at your bracelet before answering a request. No glitter no service... and the Casa Blanca buffet we couldn't even get a glass of water! Plus the timeshare seller will be after you all week! The Nolitour bracelet means lepracy in this resort. No service, your are worth nothing there!

Tip: if you are tired of the hotel food and discuting wine (worst wine ever!) you should try the Ahora restaurant on the beach, the food is great and Saïd is a pearl!

Not a 4 star!

Room Tip: 40 and 41 are junior suites, newer rooms but bad smell
1 Thank EB80
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

First off, I want to say that I've never reviewed a vacation before but feel compelled to do so here since I've never had such a negative experience at a resort before this one. I feel like I will be reiterating a lot of what has been said already, but do want to give a comprehensive review of my experience. I should add that my husband and I are in our late 20's and don't expect too much. I'm not even just saying that...just give us the basics and we'd be fine.

Second, before launching into my complaints, here are the positives:
the beach and pools were fantastic. Not the white sand beach that conjures up images of paradise, but you should know before you go that Puerto Plata has brown sand beaches and dark blue water. This is not a resort issue -- it's a geography issue so not a valid point for a complaint. The weather was perfect (80's in the daytime and 60's at night) and there was never too much trouble finding a chair by the beach or the pools. All were very well maintained and there was always a bar nearby.

I really couldn't think of anything else positive except after reading the reviews left by others/hearing the MANY complaints of other guests while AT the resort, I do feel thankful that our room (despite having a leak) was fine and neither of us had any real issues with the food.

OK, to begin -- check in itself was an annoying start to the vacation. We arrived around 1:30 and knew that check in began at 3. Fine. We checked anyway when we arrived and were told to return at 3. At 3, were told to try again at 3:30. 4. 4:30. Finally arrived to our rooms around 5. So much for squeezing in some beach/pool time on the first day. I requested buildings 41 or 43 but were told those were junior suites and required an upgrade so were placed in 302. Our room was clean and had a nice sized balcony. The bathroom had a leak which we requested repair for, but never happened. We did see technicians in other rooms in the building throughout our stay though.

The next day, as SOON as we walked into the main area, we were immediately accosted about taking a "tour" of the property. Brushing off, telling them we were not interested didn't work. We finally gave in -- the "tour" consists of riding a golf cart straight to the office and being sat down for an elaborate explanation of the VIP timeshare. Oh, but don't make the mistake of actually calling it a timeshare since our representative pointedly (and rather defensively) explained that it was NOT a timeshare. Whatever. At this point, I'm angry, and feeling conned for being offered a tour and given a sales pitch instead. As I am clearly unable to keep my emotions to myself (I AM writing a review for the world to see after all...ha), the representative picked up on it and asked me "why I look so unhappy" and "it's like you don't want to be here." well no. I don't. Not even a little bit. Who wants to spend the first morning of their hard earned vacation listening to someone try to sell them something they have no desire or purchasing...and even worse, when they were deceived into thinking it was something else! We managed to leave without doing the actual tour but were repeatedly asked to reschedule.

The fun doesn't end there. EVERY SINGLE DAY for the rest of our trip until the last when it was apparent that this "tour" wasn't happening -- we were harassed by the reps. It almost felt like borderline stalking since they would pop up when were at the buffet, regardless of which buffet and complex we were at. It was beyond ridiculous and I have never seen anything like it. AND once the last day came and no tour was taken, we were then abruptly ignored by the same rep who had been in our faces for every day prior. It was seriously so rude and annoying.

I could go on about that for longer but onto more ridiculousness. The hierarchy at this resort is absolutely absurd. Never before in my life have I felt like such a second class citizen! My husband went to make reservations to the a la carte every day and we finally got on our last night. Meanwhile, we would walk by and sometimes the restaurants were half empty! Apparently, they had to keep the spots open for the VIP holders. However, that wasn't even a major issue since we found the Casablanca buffet to be fine (we ditched The Pearl after the second day as it was pretty terrible and either walked or took the shuttle over to Tropical) but combined with the inability to get into many places (beaches, restaurants, even getting slower service at the bars because of the cheapcarribbean wristbands), it was just maddening.

The entertainment was cheesy but what can you really expect? We didn't really mind -- we DID mind that the ICE nightclub charged per drink. I mean really? We ended up going only once but had a decent time anyway.

My advice if your trip is booked and you can't back out now?
TIP -- we brought about $100 in small bills and tipped everywhere. I don't know how much of a help that was at the bars since we still got slow service (but in their defense, there was also always a steady flow of people to serve). The one area I found that it was a definite plus was with housekeeping. We had fresh towels daily and even a few bottles of water here and there. It's not much, but with this place, these are the straws I have to grasp.

If you don't upgrade to a junior suite in the 40's, at least insist on a room in the 300s. I heard a lot of complaints about the 200 rooms.

Buy your alcohol elsewhere and bring it to the resort if this is really important to you because the wine they serve at buffets was awful.

Be FIRM in your not wanting to take the "tour" from the onset -- we got a little soft when we were told that each time they get someone to take one, they receive a commission of $20. Wanting to help someone out, even a little bit, got us into more trouble than was worth it.

A lot of people complained about food issues -- I only drank bottled water and requested all my drinks without ice and had no problem whatsoever. Also, I'm a vegetarian but my non vegetarian husband ate everything and had iced drinks (but only bottled water) and was totally fine as well.

On that note, get to the buffets when they open. Which is 6:30 for dinnertime. This might be why we avoided the food issues since we were able to eat when the food was the freshest.

Lastly, all the fuss over the a la carte's and they weren't even that worth it. The day we checked in, we had an automatic reservation at the Mexican place. The night before we left was at the Italian restaurant. Both were EH. I preferred the buffet to be honest. At least we didn't have to wait for the food to be brought out or be up early just to attempt at getting a reservation.

Overall, and I think this is blatantly clear: I wouldn't go back to this resort even if I was paid to be there, UNLESS there is a serious change in management and business practices. As I said, the grounds themselves (hilly and slight smell of sewage, yes-but not bad at all) were well kept and the beaches and pools were great.

Last lastly (I mean it this time!) -- you do get what you pay for. Although I still feel like we paid for a much better vacation, I felt like this was a personal lesson to me that the cheapest option isn't always the best. Even though my first inclination is the get the BEST possible deal, it just isn't worth the gamble. If I could go back I would have gladly paid a extra few hundred dollars for a better experience.

Room Tip: If you don't upgrade to a junior suite in the 40's, at least insist on a room in the 300s. I...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
14 Thank FMP_NYC
Edmonton/AB
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

If I could rate this hotel, I wouldnt give it any stars..but i had to give it a 1 star as i was forced to. I went to this hotel with my bf on xmas week. We are simple people. We can easily adjust to places whether it be good or bad....BUT! BUTTTT!! BUT!!!! A BIG BUT!! This is by far the most horrible hotel we have ever stayed at. There was only one buffet and it was a sad sad buffet at that. There wasnt a lot of selections to choose from and they kept serving the same things over and over again and the food did not look appetizing at all. On certain occasions i did not feel like eating at all but ate just so I wouldnt starve myself. In order to book at the restaurants you must line up every morning to book your reservations in the lobby. Bookings opened at 9am and there would always be a long lineup. It took almost an hour lining up just to book for the evening. Our room was a little out dated. Our phone didnt work. Our tv didnt have a remote control. We didnt have a shower head, the water spurted out in a long stream of water. My bf complained twice to have our rooms changed and they would pretend to be concerned and would take notes of all our problems and say "we would take care of it" or "we will be coming by your room to see the issues" but they never came. This hotel has many levels and many stairs-it's very confusing...(it is not wheel chair friendly so be aware). I was lost the first few day as i didnt know where i was going but eventally found my way around. In certain areas, the hotel smelled like sewage. Save your time and money..pls dont go here.

Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple