“NEVER AGAIN! This was punishment!”

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I have never had an experience of being on a vacation and wanting to leave ASAP. I felt trapped and pushed in a corner! I travel very well, enjoy nice resorts, nice accommodations and felt that this would be another great trip. I was horribly misguided in coming here.

Our first issue was checking in: it was complete chaos. Do not check people in at a table only to go back and forth to the regular check-in desk to make copies, etc. Took about an hour to check in. While we were checking in, we inquired about upgrading to a VIP access for restaurants, drinks. We were told we could not upgrade and would have to ask again on Monday. On Monday- we learned the hard way why we had to wait. (story below).

Beverages: I normally never do All-Inclusive but learned most resorts in Dominican only offer all-inclusive. Never Again. The booze was beyond cheap and the drinks- they probably only had a 1/2 shot each. I'm not exaggerating. I caught them twice trying to serve me pre-made non-alcoholic frozen slushies without pouring in the alchohol. Every time I had to ask if there was alcohol in it? "No." If I'm ordering a Pina Colada- I want rum in it damnit! The wines they served was pretty much fruit juice mixed in with rubbing alcohol . Oh- and by the way- the cups they serve these drinks in are probably only 6oz.

Food: This was probably the worst part of our stay. The infamous buffets and restaurants. On top of being given our reservations (with no say or choice). Unless you walked up the 'mountain' to the main lobby/buffet (The Pearl), your poolside cafe offered limited food. This food was not light by any means. One day, the ONLY option was a pasta bar. Seriously? 95degrees out and you expect me to eat hot pasta? The restaurants were really quite poor of quality of food. However the most important thing to mention is that both my girlfriend and I got FOOD POISONING at this resort. On separate occasions. We were so scared to eat at the end of our trip we stuck to cantaloupe and toast. I was beyond livid at how an all-inclusive resort could get us and OTHERS sick. The more we spoke openly about it, the more people we learned were also sick during their stay!

Guest Service:
Absolutely UNACCEPTABLE! This by far has solidified my opinion that I will NEVER visit the Dominican again. It's as if the hotel staff, airport staff, whoever, really could give a crap about tourists.

1) We caught the hotel staff in blatant lies. Our Concierge told us we had to go with him to sign up for dinner, even after I said No I'm relaxing, please just sign us up, he said "NO, you have to sign up on your own, it's the only dinner that night". Well folks, he took us to the Timeshare TRAP and tried selling us a package. HENCE- no VIP when we checked in because they had much more to try to sell us. I unleashed my fury at them w/no shame. A woman in guest services also lied to our face and told us one restaurant was closed that evening, only to learn the next morning it was wide open from other guests who went.

2) While I was incapable of moving due to being sick w/food poisoning, my friend attempted to go to the pharmacy and doctor (which states 24hrs), and was refused any help or medication. She then had to return at 9AM to get me pepto bismo, pedialyte and dramamine. Later- she attempted to get me cateloupe from the buffet so I could get something light in my system and they first refused her to leave with it, THEN PROCEEDED TO FOLLOW HER TO MY ROOM to make sure I existed and she wasn't STEALING cantaloupe !

3) Room Service- we went two days without any refill of our in-room refrigerator. We waited and had to call 3times more to ask for bottles of water. 2hrs later they showed up.

The pool staff and water sports salesmen were entirely bothersome, the constant cackling and flirtating was ridiculous. Then the vendors that set up on the beach would come up to you by the pool area pushing their chochkies and beaded necklaces on you. If I say No Thank you, that doesn't mean, "Stop by every 5 minutes with a new piece".

I was so upset by this trip that I have communicated to everyone NEVER to go here. I will continue to spread my review because of the level of regret I have going there. Lifestyles has a slogan "Only tell your best friends", I for one would never put a friend through this torture!

Room Tip: Here's a tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
90  Thank Haliay
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

Dear Guest Haliay,

We take great care to ensure that important matters such as this are properly managed; this in not a usual situation in our hotel, Lifestyle Resorts aims to consistently deliver a professional service to our customers, reason why Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort is actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable.

Be assured that our concern about the perception of our guests’ on the level of our customer service is genuine; our staff is very friendly and trained to be helpful even under stress they usually perform very well. Please accept our apologies for any staff member who did not display those qualities. We know that sometimes issues arise and our staff is always ready to assist, these issues were informed to the people responsible for the operation at our property and appropriate measures will be taken immediately.

As you might know, all major Tour Operators promoting Puerto Plata require that we go by specifics hygiene and food handling standards. In order to audit those standards on a regular basis, we have hired an outsource company called Preverisk, a UK based company, Preverisk is used by most hotel chains and tour operators doing business in the Dominican Republic, Europe, US as well as Canada which all have access to the results of such audits. Those records do not show any significant deficiencies that would indicate a risk to our guests’ welfare.

You willingness to share your thoughts is appreciated. I hope you will allow us the opportunity in the future make your experience at our property an unforgettable one.

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort thanks you for you comments as it will be valuable for us to help improve the hotel. Again, we apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I welcome the opportunity to further discuss your experience with you and will reach out to your directly via TripAdvisor.

Sincerely

E-Commerce Concierge

Write a ReviewReviews (3,851)

Reviewed 5 June 2012

First I have to say that we got a killer deal at these properties; $14 per night! So I think we drank our share in alcohol the first night. Second, there were 32 of us all together, so it was nearly impossible to have a good time. Third, I am a very seasoned traveler, so this review comes with experience.

The property itself is gorgeous! Everything is nicely kept and the rooms were fantastic...much nicer then the sister hotel we were originally at, The Tropical. Still, for the price, almost anything was acceptable. The beds were pretty comfy (but we were always pretty drunk, so who knows), the showers were big and clean, nice TV's, ceiling fans, decent linens and all of the rooms had patios or balconies. The rooms over at the tropical were more like outdated motel 6 rooms...but again, for the price, it didn't matter.

There were several restaurants to choose from, including like 4 buffets. The best place for breakfast was down by buildings 42, 43, etc. They make fresh eggs and pancakes to order and have a small buffet as well. We only made it to breakfast once, but we got reviews from our friends. For dinners I would highly recommend the specialty restaurants - the hotel will automatically make you reservations for 2 of them when you first get there, if you're staying 5-8 days. I highly recommend making reservations for the rest of your stay right away. Our favorites were the Blue Lagoon (seafood & steak) and again from my friends reviews, the Indian place. We tried the Chinese - some liked it, some didn't, I personally did not. The Dominican place was pretty decent as well and I heard positive reviews on the Italian.

The VIP beach was pimp and I highly recommend that as well. We hung out there for most of our afternoons. They serve top shelf liquor and have the beach beds with waiter service. The bloody mary's were awesome!

We brought plenty of $1's to tip these guys with - they were all very friendly and attentive...and they make near to nothing for working there. We talked to a few of them and found out they make something like $10 a day for 12+ hour days. You seriously realize how good we have it when you see these folks. Tip well!! If you're a night owl like us, here's the info on the bar scene: we traded up hanging at the lobby and pool bars at both the Cofresi and the Tropical...they were all pretty nice and usually had some sort of music or activities going on. They do however close at 12, which we thought was strange, but oh well. The Blue Lagoon turned into a snackbar/cocktail bar at 12, so we would just move there.

I do have to let you know, over half of us ended up getting sick...my guess was the food, but who knows. As I have mentioned before, I have traveled all over the world many a times, and I have never personally experienced this before. It ranged from diarrhea, vomiting and general upset stomach. We had plenty of pepto and Imodium with us, so it didn't put anyone down for the most part. A few of the people ended up getting really sick when we got home, but they're better after a doctor visit and antibiotics.

Excursions: I highly recommend the waterfall excursion - it was truly amazing!!!! It did have a bit of hiking up steep, narrow hills, so I would stay sober for this one. The lunch after was great too! Everyone who went absolutely loved it!!

"Paradise Island" I do not recommend this at all. I have been on much, much better...they advertise it as a "catamaran", it's tiny and you are all squished in there. The bus ride there and back is forever long too!! Which isn't good for a bunch of people with bubbly tummies! You start at like 7 in the morning and they don't feed you lunch until after 4pm, so eat breakfast if you decide to go. They also didn't have enough snorkel gear for everyone to go at once, so we had to break into groups and take turns. The snorkeling wasn't that great anyway. You can do it if you really want, but I would pass and save the money.

There is a restaurant down the road from the beach, a little Mexican place. The owners were delightful and the food was delicious!! If you're feeling something different, give it a shot for sure! It was seriously less than a 3 minute walk and well worth it!

Room Tip: We were all spread out in buildings 40-43 and we really liked the location and the rooms!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
19  Thank MustangMandy
Reviewed 4 June 2012

From the moment you arrive they pull the old bait and switch..... They purposely mess up your reservations and absolutely no one is happy the first day........ The next morning they take you over to this beautiful building, LIFESTYLE HOLIDAYS VACATION CLUB......give you golf cart rides, free drinks, then they tell you the best deal you have ever heard, and for a couple of extra dollars you have this and that and the whole world on a silver platter....... What you don't read IN THE CONTRACT is you only have four days...... FOUR DAYS to cancel or you can never get your money back because you are there having a wonderful time when the time runs out to find out what a sham it is..... We tried to call their help desk and you get nothing but the run around....... They have already got your money, its over....... The worst sham, bait and switch ever and we fell for it...... Don't be their next victim........

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
25  Thank Klara D
Jenny H, Public Relations Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Dear Guest Klara D:

Kind regards

Reviewed 2 June 2012

My daughter and myself stayed at this resort from May 24-31. This hotel was not as as bad as some of the reviews I read before leaving. There are many stairs and alot of walking to get around, I would not recommend if you have any issues with regards to that. The food at the buffet was good, we ate at the Italien, Chinese and Brazilian - very good. The grounds are kept very clean and the pools are cleaned daily. Ther service at times was slow. For the most part staff were sort of friendly, some more than others. We had to change rooms twice but they were very accomodating. The one thing that was not impressive was there was no hot water between 4-6 pm everyday in our building (20) we were not the only ones we spoke to other guests. I had one day of a hot shower in 7 that would probably be one major complaint. The other would be to get towels, or faceloths or even water or pop in your fridge was next to impossible, I had to ask 5 or 6 times - no results, we finally took 2 bottles from the buffet and refilled them ourselves at the bar by the pool. The last day we were there, finally water appeared.

The a la cartes you have to book through Guest Services and we managed to obtain 3 at once, for the rest of the stay you need to go back daily to be put on a waiting list and if there is room that day, they deliver your receipt with the time of the reservation to your room between 3-5 pm, we did get our reservation. The majority of the a la cartes are located at the "tropical" section of the hotel, whereby you have to go to a shuttle stop located around all of the rooms, get on it and get a ride down to the restauarant, easy to do, it was getting back to the main hotel that was sometimes difficult due to the number of people trying to get back also.

We were not approached by anyone trying to sell this Lifetstyle property at all. We did meet people who did tell us that they had been approached.

The hotel was very busy for the week we were there, we stayed at the upper pool closest to the lobby everyday. The weather was very hot and sunny with little humidity.

Would I return, probably not, its way too big for me, too many stairs to get anywhere in the hotel and the service was mediocre for me.
It is a beautiful hotel, clean and kept nice. I just felt that that some staff not all at different a la cartes and even the buffet were not the friendliest or I may go as far to say interested in serving you.
Feel free to inbox me if you need any other information.

Room Tip: Ask for buildings 40,30 they are close to the lobby, buffet and pool
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
13  Thank sunnytimes
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I visited Cofresi the week of May 14, 2012. My husband and I originally thought we booked Lifestyles, but upon check in we were informed that they could not find our reservation. This is a thorough honest review of both sides of the coin Non-VIP and VIP. Please feel free to PM me with any questions and I’ll be happy to answer.

Check-in at Lifestyle- We arrived at Lifestyles at around 2:00 pm on a Monday. Our taxi accidently took us to the Crown Villa check-in so we caught the shuttle to the main reception area of Lifestyles. The lobby was clean and they offered us a refreshing tropical drink. My husband forgot to print his paperwork, however he was able to find it via email on his iphone. The front desk was unable to find our reservation and after 30 min. we were taken by shuttle over to the Cofresi side.

Check-in at Cofresi- Now this was a fiasco. The line wasn’t too long and only lasted around 10 min.- not bad at all. We spoke with the representative Juan Arias who could not find our reservation. Juan was very professional and we both eventually determined that the mixup was due to the fact that we informed our travel agent that we were switching from Sunday check-in to a Monday check-in due to my cousin’s wedding, however, our travel agent failed to inform the resort resulting in a lost reservation. We waited for the resort to re-process our check-in for around 3 hours. This was so nerve racking, but after all was said and done we were given a room and had silver bands placed on our wrists (I asked Juan about this because I posted a question about the bands in the Tripadvisor forum previously, Juan said there are around 15 bands, though silver is rare because it signifies when someone books with a separate travel agent outside of the big ones such as Cheap Caribbean, Expedia, or a Member). We met our “concierge” a.k.a one of the white shirts during this time. I didn’t mind him too much as he kept us company during our reception wait. I knew the deal from being an avid Tripadvisor user. He said he would meet us the next day at 9:00 am at El Pilon restaurant. After a hefty tip, Juan was able to score us a reservation that night for El Pilon. We also requested a room safe at this time, they did not ask so make sure that you do- it is $3/day.

Cofresi Basic Room- Our room was a general room but it had a flat screen and was clean. Our balcony overlooked a small quiet pool in front of Frost bar (Rm 206). We had no bugs and were on the first floor. The accommodations did have a few minor issues, but they were purely aesthetic such as a crack in the tub etc. but I was satisfied with a clean room so no real complaints there. We were walking distance to Cofresi Beach, El Pilon Dominican Restaurant, and Ying/Yang Spa. The safe was big enough to hold an ipad/kindle, ipod, wallets etc. but not big enough for a laptop. Keep this in mind if you are booking a general room. I noticed that the water temperature was not warm though the water pressure was good, there was also an old sign stating not to drink the water (which we didn’t plan on doing anyway). Our fridge was small but had 1 7-up, 1 Pepsi, 1 water and 1 Presidente beer. There was a large bottle of water outside the fridge for teeth brushing etc.

Our Stay as Non-VIPS-. As it was around 5:30-6:00 pm when we finally reached our room, I had a little while to lounge by the small quiet pool. This was peaceful. We had 7:00 reservations so I took a quick shower and changed (luckily El Pilon was close, if it was located on the Lifestyles side we would have been late). My review of El Pilon is located below. After dinner we went to see a show, it was ok, the dancers work really hard but I couldn’t help compare it to Americanized shows (I’m originally from NYC, so it takes a lot to impress me). Check it out if you have nothing else to do. We also went to the Cofresi main court yard and enjoyed Karaoke there (OMG! My husband made me go up there- I thought I was going to pass out, but it was a lot of fun). With silver bands we were not VIP, but we had a great time drinking pina coladas (which were pretty good for non-top shelf and “happy happy’s”. The next morning I was trying to dip our “concierge”, but we ended up being taken by golf cart directly to him (we even tried to duck him by switching breakfast from El Pilon to the Pearl Buffet, but lo and behold he was there - I was not a happy camper. Our “tour” consisted of being sent directly to VIP world. There we received warm towels and gourmet chocolates. Our VIP rep was Reggie (he was from Ohio lol). Reggie was super cool, and I told him flat out we were not signing up for anything. Lets just say after 2 hours we ended up walking away with an offer we couldn’t refuse (I post more about the VIP club below). Our silver bands got clipped and we put on the gold bands. We upgraded to Cofresi Jr. Suites.

Cofresi Jr. Suite Room- We were transferred a few buildings away from our original room to the Cofresi Jr. Suites. This room was about twice the size of a regular room, had a Jacuzzi, separate slate covered shower, and a separate slate covered toilet. Once again we were on the first floor, so we could open our sliding porch door and enter the pool, go to the beach, go to the non-VIP bar, or go to El Pilon for some food. This room looked exactly liked the pictures on here and it was truly a great room- not one bug. Everything was new and the water temperature was perfect (unlike the regular rooms), there was no sign stating not to drink the water but we were not going to take any chances. Our fridge was restocked everyday and our maid made beautiful pillow art such as a swan with a flower, or a flowing display with the sheets and flowers, there were also flowers on the sinks everyday- a beautiful touch (none of this occurred in the regular room). Our fridge was larger than the regular room and was restocked everyday with 2 7-ups, 2 Pepsis, 4 waters, and 4 Presidente beers. Once the restockers even knocked on our door to see if we needed anything. The new safe was larger than the regular room and required a different lock (although they had the same design). This safe would be wide enough for the average laptop. There was a flat screen (although unlike the general room, this one was not compatible with my husband’s DVD player- he bought one along to continue his P90X regime lol). We also got a fresh fruit platter or a deli platter everyday- not sure if this was because we were new members.

Our stay as VIP’s- We did not experience better treatment from the staff as VIPs vs. as Non-VIPS. Everyone was courteous and the men were flirtatious (to be expected with any Caribbean country lol). They appreciated us trying to speak Spanish. After talking Reggie down for 2 hours I decided to skip his tour and told him I would find my way around with his map (note, we did not receive maps as non-VIPs, but did get a list of available restaurants and their times, ask for a map at check-in you’ll need it! The show times/activities are posted in the main lobby of both Cofresi and Lifestyles). The resort is HUGE- remember it is 2 resorts in one. VIP world included the VIP pool (I didn’t like it, it was surrounded by sand); Small sports bar (Elias is my buddy, real cool bartender),; Harmony beach (located adjacent to VIP Beach aka “anyone can go so don’t be thwarted by the name beach”) which had a small pool sized whirl pool, lots of comfy beds, cabanas, swings, grill, and ice cream shop; I never had time to visit Serenity Beach, but I heard it is tranquil; Presidential Suites pool area (this was my favorite place, it was vibing in the day, walking distance from Cofresi beach, had a VIP bar, and was in front of Jazz (New Orleans food- see review below) and Blues (Kosher food- see review below). VIPs also had access to the VIP club called Pure (we stopped in and they were putting on a traditional Dominican dance show, maybe we were too early but there was no night club happenings going on there); the Spot which was a Hookah bar at the VIP pool, and VIPS got ala carte dinner reservations preset for the week.

Beach- I have one word for the beach “CRAP”. It wasn’t manicured like many beaches (yes, even the Jersey Shore is combed nicely), it was chock full of sea weed, and I just felt really dirty walking along it. I gave it a fair chance though, and walked from Cofresi beach all the way to the Wal-Mart store (local shop with a catchy name). I stopped in all the stores and gave them all a bit of business. Avoid this beach. If you want to have a beach day take a cab or the gua gua (local bus) to Sousa for a wonderful beach.

Nightlife- There really is no night life here. If you are a young group looking for some partying go to Cabarete, if you are a group of guys go to Sousa for nightlife. There is a few places in the Playa Dorada complex about 10-15 min. away, but really touristy and not worth it. If you want to party this place is not for you (even the small Ocean World nightclub was dead, but the gambling at the small casino wasn’t bad- my husband won $75)

El Pilon- This is located on Cofresi beach. The food was yummy (I tried the snapper cerviche but I discovered that I am not a fan of cerviche which is a process of cooking seafood in lime juice alone- the flavors weren’t bad so I think if you are a cerviche fan you will like it). The National soup and chicken with a sweet/tangy sauce were delicious, I would pass on the steak though it was too salty. The rice pudding was good.

Simply Gourmet- This is one of the most popular restaurants and serves very good food. I got a shrimp cocktail and salmon- both were perfect. My husband got Salmon and steak- also delicious (yes, he ordered 2 entrees and skipped the appetizer- this reminds me of a cruise ship- I love that I can order whatever and how much of what I want). The cheesecake for desert was good, not out of this world (but then again, if you’d ever had Juniors cheesecake from NY nothing, not even cheesecake factory, compares)

Jazz- This was really good. The seating was a bit chaotic at first, but once we sat down and were finally waited on everything was smooth sailing. I had a Caesar salad and the tilapia which was unbreaded, seared in butter and delish. My husband had the jambalaya (once again, another entrée as an appetizer) and the pan seared grouper (which was lightly breaded and pan fried- also delish). He had the pineapple pie- he said it was very good. I had the beignets (a fried donut with powdered sugar) which were very tasty. The restaurant was beautiful and was also very popular, they even have a note on our reservation sheet detailing that non-Presidential Suite members must specifically request more than one reservation there if they would like one as they are not guaranteed.

Blues- I don’t know if this restaurant was open for dinner during our stay. After trying the buffet for breakfast one time, we went to Blues for breakfast every morning. This was listed as a Kosher restaurant. For breakfast there were made to order omelets, pancakes, French toast, fresh fruit, yogurt, pan seared seasoned potatoes etc. I liked the quality here better than the Pearl, although the Pearl’s breakfast wasn’t bad and also featured made to order omelets etc.

Pearl Buffet- As stated above, their breakfast had made to order omelets but overall the quality was lacking compared to Blues. For instance, they had boiled potatoes, instead of seasoned ones similar to a diner’s, they had fried plantains which I enjoyed and other Dominican breakfast staples. Check it out at least once, there is lots of variety so you won’t be bored. I went here once for lunch, they had fried chicken which was ok, made to order pasta which was also ok, beef kabobs (not good), fresh fruit etc. It wasn’t bad here, but again, the food in the VIP areas were tastier.

Trapiche- This is their Mexican restaurant, it was good, but missing the guacamole (boo! they ran out). My husband rated this one was #1 (surprising since Mexican is my favorite food, not his). They had a nacho bar which was nice (they had salsa verde and pineapple salsa which was a nice touch). My husband had their fried wings as an appetizer and I had a chicken quesadilla. Both were delish. I had fajitas which came in a sizzing pan with all the fixin’s adjacent, my husband had a burrito. We had ice cream for desert. The restaurant is a bit out of the way (down the road from VIP world), but worth it.

Brazilian- I forgot the name of this restaurant, which pretty much sums up our experience. The service was excellent, but the food was bland. They served traditional Brazilian Churracso (meat served on skewers and cut by a waiter in front of you). I liked the pepper steak and the sausages, that’s about it. I don’t remember what desert was.

Sports Bar- As stated earlier, if you have access then you’ve got to give this place a try. They serve lunch out of Simply Gourmets kitchen from noon to 5pm. I had wings (their buffalo sauce was on the side and very weird, almost like salad dressing- maybe they created a concoction for me because they ran out)They were fried and seasoned to perfection. We also had their club salad which was fresh and beautifully presented, fries, and fully loaded chili cheese bacon burgers. We devoured everything but would pass on the chili. The VIP pool is right next door and has the same exact menu. There is a pop corn machine (think old school carnival) and a nacho station.

VIP Pool- we didn’t stay long here, but the pina coladas are out of this world! They mix them with a touch of Bailey’s Irish cream which adds a bit of a milk shake essence- omg! Watch out though, the natural coconut milk will act as a laxative (think fresh collard greens)

Harmony Beach Grill- I forgot the official name of this place, but the food was pretty good. My husband had a burger, Thai curry (not the yellow stuff- in fact I didn’t really taste any curry) chicken breast skewers, and I had conch fritters (they were seasoned and fried well, but here I go trying something new again, I don’t like conch because it is chewy- if you like conch I’m sure you’ll love these- I ate my husband’s chicken skewers).

Harmony Beach Ice Cream Shop- The ice cream was pretty good, I only wish I had more of it. I tried one flavor- birthday cake. The ice cream part tasted good, but next time I think I’ll keep it simple and get strawberry or something. I expected chunks of cake, but instead I got mashed cake all over the ice cream, which was kinda weird. If you have access you’ve gotta give it a try.

Overall- Overall I think Cofresi/Lifestyles is a good resort. We joined the VIP club only because it is similar to a time share and has over 5,000 properties for us to visit but unlike a time share you don’t have allotted weeks through the year and can stay as long as you want (we bought 25 weeks so we could stay consecutively if we’d like)- if it included Lifestyles Resort only we would not have bought in- but for the steal of deal we plan on using our membership. If you booked through Cheap Caribbean I would switch to another resort (it is only a few dollars more and there won’t be a “VIP” separation and you’ll probably have access to a better beach. If you can, book through a shareholder and get gold bands, or book through a member and get blue bands (the white shirts still bother you though). We had a great time and met great friends here- I am really happy I went. Keep in mind my beach review though, if you are thinking “Caribbean beach” think again, I expected the dark water, but everything else was unacceptable. I tried to be as detailed as possible with this review and I hope you enjoyed it. As I stated in the beginning let me know if you have any questions!

Enjoy your stay- DR is a wonderful country!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
54  Thank neotericisis1
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I read alot of the reviews after I booked our vacation and was very nervous about what I read. However, my family and I had a great time and none of us wanted to leave, especially the kids (ages 15, 18 and 21). They told us it was the best vacation ever. We met "Sexy Blackie" and "Sexy Banana" (a name they use because their name is hard to pronouce unless you speak spanish) and they without a doubt made our vacation. They are funny and help make your vacation exciting and entertaining. We found the food was good. Many places to choose from. We loved the Blue Lagoon. The rooms were ok, walls a little thin but overall well kept. We loved the VIP beach, the drinks are much better there. We are planning to go back again next year. As for the high pressure of the timesharing, I found it to be the one of the best timesharing deals and the least pressured. We did tip alot but the people that work there only make $50 a week and they work about 75hrs so tipping them was not obligated but very much appreciated. You can't beat the price. If you are use to a 5 star you may be a little disappointed but the price you pay you will find it to be worth every penny.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Petersons5
Jenny H, Public Relations Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

Dear guest Petersons5:

It is of great honor to us to receive a review like this one that you have kindly shared with us. Your compliment towards our staff really shows the readers the true results of our efforts to provide a unforgettable experience and also help us to always improve our service. We are glad to see that we have achieved your satisfaction and we hope to have you with us at the Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort in the near future.

Best regards

Reviewed 24 May 2012

My husband and I stayed from 5/12-5/18, and we wanted to leave the next day, the resort is not organized, food was horrible, the first 3days the resort was filled with locals with lots of kids, these people are all rude. The best part of our stay was our room, in the new buildings we stayed in the 40 building on the 3rd fl as I had requested prior to arrival jr suite best part of this stay. I have not been able to post my review sooner cause I have been sick since 5/18 evening and still sick to this day. I can only speak for myself and my husband, but we both highly recommend to STAY AWAY FROM THIS RESORT! I am upset cause we can only afford to go away once every 5years and this was a waste of hard earned money and vacation time.

Room Tip: Stay in the new buildings 40,41,42,43, jr suites, the only problem is the walking distance to things...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
15  Thank tropicalgirl2010
Jenny H, Public Relations Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2012

Dear guest Tropicalgirl2010:

Thank you for taking the time to communicate to us why our Hotel did not meet your expectations. The Cofresi Palm is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. We sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance.

Sincerely