I have never had an experience of being on a vacation and wanting to leave ASAP. I felt trapped and pushed in a corner! I travel very well, enjoy nice resorts, nice accommodations and felt that this would be another great trip. I was horribly misguided in coming here.
Our first issue was checking in: it was complete chaos. Do not check people in at a table only to go back and forth to the regular check-in desk to make copies, etc. Took about an hour to check in. While we were checking in, we inquired about upgrading to a VIP access for restaurants, drinks. We were told we could not upgrade and would have to ask again on Monday. On Monday- we learned the hard way why we had to wait. (story below).
Beverages: I normally never do All-Inclusive but learned most resorts in Dominican only offer all-inclusive. Never Again. The booze was beyond cheap and the drinks- they probably only had a 1/2 shot each. I'm not exaggerating. I caught them twice trying to serve me pre-made non-alcoholic frozen slushies without pouring in the alchohol. Every time I had to ask if there was alcohol in it? "No." If I'm ordering a Pina Colada- I want rum in it damnit! The wines they served was pretty much fruit juice mixed in with rubbing alcohol . Oh- and by the way- the cups they serve these drinks in are probably only 6oz.
Food: This was probably the worst part of our stay. The infamous buffets and restaurants. On top of being given our reservations (with no say or choice). Unless you walked up the 'mountain' to the main lobby/buffet (The Pearl), your poolside cafe offered limited food. This food was not light by any means. One day, the ONLY option was a pasta bar. Seriously? 95degrees out and you expect me to eat hot pasta? The restaurants were really quite poor of quality of food. However the most important thing to mention is that both my girlfriend and I got FOOD POISONING at this resort. On separate occasions. We were so scared to eat at the end of our trip we stuck to cantaloupe and toast. I was beyond livid at how an all-inclusive resort could get us and OTHERS sick. The more we spoke openly about it, the more people we learned were also sick during their stay!
Absolutely UNACCEPTABLE! This by far has solidified my opinion that I will NEVER visit the Dominican again. It's as if the hotel staff, airport staff, whoever, really could give a crap about tourists.
1) We caught the hotel staff in blatant lies. Our Concierge told us we had to go with him to sign up for dinner, even after I said No I'm relaxing, please just sign us up, he said "NO, you have to sign up on your own, it's the only dinner that night". Well folks, he took us to the Timeshare TRAP and tried selling us a package. HENCE- no VIP when we checked in because they had much more to try to sell us. I unleashed my fury at them w/no shame. A woman in guest services also lied to our face and told us one restaurant was closed that evening, only to learn the next morning it was wide open from other guests who went.
2) While I was incapable of moving due to being sick w/food poisoning, my friend attempted to go to the pharmacy and doctor (which states 24hrs), and was refused any help or medication. She then had to return at 9AM to get me pepto bismo, pedialyte and dramamine. Later- she attempted to get me cateloupe from the buffet so I could get something light in my system and they first refused her to leave with it, THEN PROCEEDED TO FOLLOW HER TO MY ROOM to make sure I existed and she wasn't STEALING cantaloupe !
3) Room Service- we went two days without any refill of our in-room refrigerator. We waited and had to call 3times more to ask for bottles of water. 2hrs later they showed up.
The pool staff and water sports salesmen were entirely bothersome, the constant cackling and flirtating was ridiculous. Then the vendors that set up on the beach would come up to you by the pool area pushing their chochkies and beaded necklaces on you. If I say No Thank you, that doesn't mean, "Stop by every 5 minutes with a new piece".
I was so upset by this trip that I have communicated to everyone NEVER to go here. I will continue to spread my review because of the level of regret I have going there. Lifestyles has a slogan "Only tell your best friends", I for one would never put a friend through this torture!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort – Dominican Republic is the newest jewel in the Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club. Nestled along the Cofresi beach shores, and overlooking the sparkling Caribbean sea, this resort caters to the luxurious enjoyment of both families and couples looking for that perfect getaway. With 468 well-appointed accommodations that range from Adult Only Spa Suites, to Standard family friendly rooms located in a quite setting between the ocean beach and spectacular pool, this is a paradise worthy of the Lifestyle name. The resort was created with space and comfort in mind, making Cofresi Palm a relaxing, enjoyable and satisfying experience for all guests and their families. All rooms have air conditioning, cable television, phones, and ceiling fans, while the decor has a distinctive design, featuring dark wood furnishings. Shaded patios and verandas provide a relaxing place to gather in some of the units. Providing both service and features that are standard for a Lifestyle property, the Cofresi Palm offers a unique luxury accommodations experience. Cofresi Palm provides the easy, relaxed ambiance of the Caribbean in an opulent and elegant setting. Experience the array of beauty and excitement that Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), HotelsClick, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sun Village Puerto Plata
- Sun Village Hotel Cofresi
- Dominican Republic Sun Village
- Sun Village Dominican Republic
- Sun Village Spa
- Sun Village Resort Dominican Republic
- Sun Village Resort Puerto Plata
- Sun Village Beach Resort
- Sun Village Resort Spa Puerto Plata
- Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata