“Great Animation and Restaurant Staffs”

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Rockville Centre, New York
“Great Animation and Restaurant Staffs”
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Although my 3 friends and I stayed at The Tropical next door to the Cofresi Palm Beach Resort, we had access to nearly everything at this resort. We truly enjoyed the unique and delicious food at Moomtaz Indian Restaurant with Porfirio as our head waiter/manager. Both he and the restaurant staff had real class. The head waiter/manager at Rodizio which had scrumptious Brazilian food was another helpful and classy gentleman.
The adorable and happy Animation Team with Sexy Bamboo, Spaghetti, Blackie, and Donkey, and Banana, kept us active by day and night with games, water aerobics, shows, and activities, and Bachata and merengue dancing. We will miss their smiles.

Room Tip: Rooms up higher near the loby have a long walk down to the beach
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 5 October 2012
Dear guest,

We really appreciate your comment and we will make sure to congratulate all the staff that you mentioned and made your stay a memorable one.
Hope to see you back in Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort very soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,035)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2012

for anyone that had shares in this place when it was Sun Vilage. If you paid for the investment on your credit card you should be able to claim it back.
I did because it was easier at the time, It's taken a long time but I have just recieved my whole transaction back under section 75

Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank Stu69
St. John
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Beware... Time share offer in the guise of "something very Special" to show you. The bellman even said If you don't go then his boss will be upset with him. If you go then he receives $10 and he needs it for his family....
The hotel grounds are beautiful, wait staff friendly but that's about it. Very disappointed with our rooms that had no woking commode, rusty shower, very substandard for a Spa room...you expect luxury but get below standard rooms...Wi-FI is an extra $15 US per night, but may not work because again level of service is horrible here. no apologies to be had just OH WELL... We have your money so who cares....The food ran out at the buffet, the food seemed to be catered for local people. Lots of mashed plantains with onions, hotdogs in greasy liquid for breakfast. Most non locals don't eat that sort of thing for breakfast. The place is huge so you wait a long time for shuttle from one place to the next. The clinic not always staffed...especially if your family develops a terrible case of the runs ( this was the case in mine)... This vacay was a nightmare. I would NOT reccommend to ANYONE....

Room Tip: No elevators so special needs shold be discussed at check in. They don't tell you that
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank radcliff_sheila
Dear Guest,

Even though we take very seriously and worries us that you did not have a pleasant stay at our resort, we would like to thank you for writing this comment as this will help us to take actions and improve.
We have many Bell Boys that are very professional and it surprises us that they would say, they would receive money, which is not correct.

Hotel manager
Innisfil, Canada
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I was at Cofresi for a week in February. Food was good, entertainment was amazing. We had a great time and I would have gone back.
We had to be out of our rooms a few hours before we had to leave Cofresi for the airport. Our luggage was kept in a room beside the front desk check in. It wasn't until I got home that I realized my box with a favorite sentimental ring in it and a few pair of earrings had disappeared. I'm so disappointed as I can never replace that ring.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Audrey M
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 8 September 2012
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comment about Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, and we are very happy that you had a good time during your stay.
We have investigated over your case with the lost ring but we do not have any report about this incident, my E-mail is: Maria.Pont@lhvcresorts.com and if you wish you could write me more details and we could continue investigating.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 August 2012

My girlfriend and I just celebrated our anniversary by booking an all-inclusive trip to the Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort. We booked through CheapCaribbean.com, and we had a blast! The flights were on time, and even ahead of schedule, which starts any vacation off well. When we arrived in Puerto Plata, we met up with our shuttle bus to the resort (which needs to be booked through outside agency like Cheap Caribbean...resort does NOT set this up contrary to previous reviews), and we were at the resort within 30 minutes. Once at the resort, our concierge met us, got us checked in, and brought us down to our room, which was great. We didn't have a great view, but at the same time, we didn't spend that much time in the resort.

The pools were great, well maintained, and had beautiful views of the mountains and of the ocean. There were swim up bars, and the bartenders were very friendly and helpful. The drinks were very tasty, and the nicer you were to the bartenders, the stronger they got!! Down by the beach, there were a few more pools, as well as cabanas that you could lay in. VERY comfortable and gives you some protection from the sun, when you need it (Cabanas are first come/first serve).

There are a bunch of different food options at the resort, with a variety of buffets and a la carte restaurants. The buffet was pretty good, but nothing to rave about. We went to an a la carte restaurant on our second day there (YOU NEED TO MAKE A RESERVATION), and that was tremendous. It was a Mexican restaurant, and the food (and Sangria) was excellent. This particular restaurant was actually at the Tropical hotel (next door), but the shuttle service that the hotel offers dropped us off right at the front door of the restaurant.

As great of a time as we had, there are still some "cons" to be aware of (and I put that in quotes, because I think it all depends on your personality)....

1) While you stay at Cofresi, your concierge will bring you over (usually your first full day) and have a representative at the Lifestyles Resort Villas portion tour you around and try to have you commit money to joining the "club" etc. They give you t-shirts, and a bottle of rum, which was nice, but clearly an attempt to entice you to spend your money. My girlfriend and I were uniterested, and told our rep as much, and she was totally fine with it, and let us go on our way without being pushy, although I'm not sure every rep is as easy going. So just be aware of that!

2) A lot of kids were at the resort while we stayed there, and while this didn't really bother us, its something to keep in mind. Its not a Sandals-type resort where you're going to have adults laying by the pool, and peace and quiet, etc. If you're looking to be left alone entirely, its not the best place, but like I said, I didn't find it to be that bad.

3) Just like most resorts in the Caribbean, when you venture outside the gates of the resort, aka, going down to the public beach, the locals will try and sell you their goods. For the most part, if you just say no, or avoid them, they'll let you be, but I saw some people get pestered a bit. Nothing to worry about if you just say no, but just be prepared to be asked if you want their necklaces, etc.

A couple tips I'd throw out to people looking to go to Cofresi...

1) Bring cash for tips. While you don't necessarily HAVE to tip anyone, they definitely appreciate it, and they work very hard.

2) Brush up on your Spanish. While 99% of the people working on the resort speak fluent English, they GREATLY appreciate an American tourist being able to converse with them (albeit just a little bit) in their native tounge. It goes a long way, especially with the maid staff.

3) If you're looking to do an outside excursion, (they offer a few options) I HIGHLY recommend the dolphin swim at Ocean World. It's pricey, but its totally worth it. My girlfriend and I had a blast doing it, and its one of those, "once in a lifetime" experiences.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Gary C
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 2 September 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to congratulate you for your anniversary and thank you for choosing Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort as the place to celebrate this important event.
As I can notice on your very detailed comment, you enjoyed your vacation here at our resort and we are very happy for this.
We also appreciate the tips that you provide to other travellers and future guests.
Thanks to your comment our future guest will have more knowledge of our resort and the services that we provide.
We hope that you continue celebrating with us any time you can.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Let’s start from beginning. Cofresi promise transportation from airport in beginning and when we e-mail for conformation and out flight information it was not longer available. So we have to pay for our transportation from and to airport. Bill boys are rood. They joke between each other in spannich and make a bets what you will pay for the trip. Price start at $80 and after 30 min fight drop to $10. And this is just a beginning. After our arrival we were greed by the hotel representative. He quickly sad, that we have to stay 25 min in line to check in and only after that he will talk to us. After prolong pushing and shoving he point his finger at buffet and pronounce this is the only place you could eat today. It was my birthday and he refuse to help us with reservations to any restaurant in the resorts. He dumps our bags in front of bell boy and disappear. Bell boy look at us and as quickly as hotel representative disappear as well, so we ended up going to the map with our luggage to find out place to sleep. Our room AC das not work, so we try to call front desk. Phone das not work as well. So we decided to leave our bags and go to front lobby. To my surprise door not closing as well, so we could not lock our bags in the room. All this start at 4:15 PM. After numerous trips to the office and intrusive maintenance, with single screwdriver and no other equipment in site, we ended up sleeping in this room with “Moniana” promise. Tomorrow. No rooms in the ALL Resorts were available for exchange. And this is only first day. After this “class” separation began. We could not eat in this restaurant, lie on this beach, and use these towels. Food is terrible. We discover raw sewage trenches and pipes on the beach spilling filth in the ocean.
Avoid this place at any means. This is a dump with no end. Prolong and consistent jokes from the resort staff about us in Spanish and how much we have to pay and how they could make us pay by the 4 day tire us out and we could not wait to go home. Best meal on this vacation I have in the AIROPORT on the way home.

Room Tip: Go to Punta Cana. The best vocation i have ever had.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Vladi V
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing your comment regarding your stay at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort.
I'm sorry for the inconvenience that you had during your stay and I will try to give you some explanations.
We are very surprised over your comment of the bell boys behaviour, it was probably an misunderstanding and I'm sure that it was not done with bad intensions.
I completely understand that its not easy to wait for a Check In after a your journey, well the check in time is at 3.00 pm, and we are working to improve this mater.
We did not have any information this was your birthday, if we had this information I guarantee you that we had got you the reservation to one of the a la cart restaurants, even though its not usual that guests get to chose the restaurant for the first night, this situation probably also delayed your check in process.
Regarding the technical issues in the room, has no explanation as we work with a system that every room gets checked before being occupied.
We are also working to improve the food at the buffet and the menus of the restaurants.
Comments like yours are very useful for us to improve or service and I hope you accept our apologies.

Jackson, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 August 2012

we spent our anniversary here and we were not told that to get anywhere on this resort they shuttle you around in vans from place to place, the van seats were ripped and wet from others with wet bathing suits, there are many steps,the food was so so my husband got sick with the runs as did many others.the week we were there the locals and their families invaded the place at a discounted rate, we hear this is common practice, we were constantly trying to get seats to see the shows,and other things. most of all we were badgered to buy this lifestyle vacation club which is a rip off and they sell more time share than they can accomadate. if you are a senior there is alot of walking and waiting to be shuttled to and from the beach, pool or to eat.. this place smells of sewer all over the resort,although this looks very pretty on line the roads are broken and things are shabby,if you are looking for a upscale place this is not it. the service people were very nice but I advice you not to book this resort, you will be disapointed, many were

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank graciegirl4
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 26 August 2012
Dear Guest,

We appreciate that you took your time to write this comment about the Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, we are taking notes about your suggestions to improve our service and actually we are already in process to get more seats at the theatre.
Regarding the sewer smell we are also working to improve this situation.
We are sorry that we where not able to help you have a pleasant stay like you deserve and we apologize for this.