“illness was rampant”

Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Godfrey, Illinois
“illness was rampant”
Reviewed 1 April 2013

the resort was average for price, facilities were fine, beach was average BUT we and many people who were there at same time got terribly ill from food (possibly seafood but could not target exact source), vomiting, chills and diarrhea...........would NEVER go back. we have been to Punta Cana, Cancun many times, Puerto Vallerta, and Jamaica and have never experienced this.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PaulaH3210
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for having chosen Cofresi Palm Beach and Spa Resort to spend your holidays. We appreciate you took the time to express your experience in this review. We are deeply sorry that your experience was not as good as you had expected and that you were not completely satisfied with our service.
We wish to assure you that we take any comments as a constructive criticism. Our management will take note of your comments to evaluate how we can improve our services.

The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,038)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We just go back after 7 days at Confresi with 2 other couples.Two couples had rooms next to each other, the other had one in another building/section, but thankfully not too far away!

Anyways, we read many reviews before booking and were a little hesitant about going, but after the price was right, we took a chance.

We booked through Noli tours, so were in the 30000's section of the resort. Great rooms, awesome balconies! The balcony was huge, great for having our friends over on rainy/overcast days!

We enjoyed the rooms, ours was 30413/30414 right at the bottom of the stairs to the pools above! Perfect location!

Yes, this resort is huge, expect some walking and stairs, but if you have mobility problems, there are shuttles everywhere to take you where you need to go. Just call for one or wait outside, they are frequent. We enjoyed all the walking especially after all the meals we ate!

We were near the Pearl buffet restaurant, so we mostly ate there. We ventured once for lunch to the other buffet in the Tropical area, but liked ours better. Breakfast there was great, but expect to wait a bit for the pancake station as a lot of parents drop their kids off there! There are two omelette stations, only one pancake/french toast one. Food and service was really good.

Expect to not flush toilet paper down the toilet. A lot of people did, especially in the public washrooms. This resort is on a hill,and like our trip to Nicaragua, we could also not flush toilet paper down the toilets. Then people wonder why the resort has some sewage smells or their toilets overflow. READ THE SIGNS!!

There are many, many pools and bars at this resort. Lots to choose from.We also read some people complain that the drinks were watered down....that is not true at all! Ours were very strong! Nothing watered down at all. Sometimes the slushy drink machine was not as 'slushy' but that's due to the heat and all the people ordering them.

We went to the club 'Ice" a few times. It's a fun place, lots of people come down. The lobby bar, Cheers, closes at midnight, so then you can go down to the club for more and to escape the heat. Great tunes playing, lots of fun there!!

The a la cartes are pre-booked for you when you check in. You get your reservation tickets with your room keys. We also read reviews on here where people tried to change then and couldn't or found it being a pain to do so. We never had the urge to do so, we actually liked the fact that the reservations were already made for us, one less thing for us to think about!!

If some of them were late (9 or 9:30pm) we just ate a snack at the buffet around dinner time to tied us over. On the first night of our reservation there was sushi night at the Pearl, so we enjoyed some sushi before heading to the Asian restaurant for our a la carte!

We also went to Johnny's a la carte and order the steak and mashed potaoes......BEST MEAL EVER!! the steak was super tender, used a butter knife to cut it, and the mashed potatoes were amazing!! Johnny's looks like a banquet hall,a boring place to eat, but the steak is FANTASTIC, you gotta try it!

The VIP BBQ on Sunday night is huge. It starts at 8pm, nut go early. We made the mistake of going for 8pm, but the shuttle buses started running people over at 6:45pm, go then! Lots of great food, but it gets busy, so grab a table when you can. Also, since it's so big, all the staff goes there to work, all the other restaurants are closed.

Our rooms flooded one night after we got back from the a la carte. We were gone just ovre an hour, that's how fast they flooded. There was an inch or more of water in our rooms and bathrooms. It happened after 11pm, so it was really annoying because we were planning on going to the club and having some drinks. It ruined our night. It seemed like the air conditioner unit failed.
Anyways, we called the front desk and soon there was an army of maids trying to get the water out. We were brought to other rooms in the 20000's section for the night. Only one guy was there so we had to practically bring our own backs and walk across the resort to these other rooms. The 20000's section is not as nice as the NoliPlus rooms, where the Canadians are, so we demanded we be put back there the next day since it seemed like a downgrade in rooms to what we paid for. We were in our old rooms by noon the next day.

Room Tip: The 300000's section is great, but if you book through Noli tours or transat you should get them...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank JZHART
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I loved the Hotel. We had great weather. I was amazed at how wonderful the staff was. We had Rubin as our waiter the first night and he was incredible! we had him as a bartender and a waiter again throughout our week. Very hard worker and so was Anna Maria. I am so amazed at how great the staff was at the bar and the restaurants. The Italien restaurant was the best I have ever had anywhere! Just awesome! The main buffet had a great selection of food too. I had no problems with hot water or pressure in my room but people I travelled with did. The beach was clean and well kept with staff constantly maintaining it. The only thing I would change is the hounding vendors on the beach in the resort by the bar. Seems they should be with the others on the beach. I didnt like gettig hounded everytime I wanted to get a drink other than that I would recommend this resort to friends. Also - Tip Top Catamaran was worth every cent! Worth checking out!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank StephC989
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us on Trip Advisor. It was a great pleasure to have you with us and to have the opportunity to meet with you again. I am delighted you enjoyed your Cofresi Palm Beach and Spa Resort experience and thank you for sharing your comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 1 April 2013 via mobile

My fiance and I recently spent four nights at cofresi palm beach ok so check in went smoothly they hand u tickets with pre made reservations to two restaurants of their choice then drive u to the room. Ok gorgeous room very comfortable, the pools we liked the bars are ok they have plenty, the beach is very clean and calm waves , the downfall the buffets really suck not much variety and no service really I had to constantly call a server just to have some water at breakfast I had to get up nd pour my own coffee that's when a waitress saw me and actually took care of us, they really need to work on this the restaurants at night were great just that if u want to change or make another reservation they tell u there all full and can't even though when your at the restaurants there half empty. Soo the maids pick up towels at around 9 and your left in your room without towels till maybe 5 we know this because one morning The maid came in while we were still asleep and took our towels even though I called front desk no one ever came to bring any. Ohh and what everyone hates the most which always happens when u vacation in Puerto plata the ppl trying to make u invest on a time share they insist on u buying and beecoming part of there vip services they get upset whn u tell them u can't or are just not interested. Its not a bad resort just that they really need to work ob there services.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Walkiria p
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the observations concerning the service at the hotel, and we are sorry that we were not able to impress you with some of our services and amenities at the resort.
We are in the business to bring an enjoyable and excellent experience to all of our guests.
The few times that we do encounter an unhappy guest we address the issue immediately and turn the challenge into an opportunity.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulty you may have experienced during your stay.

Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I came here with a group of 10. We booked through Cheap Caribbean. Ok let me start with the postivies.
*the resort itself is huge and beautiful..very clean and you have access to 3 other resorts as well.
* beach was nice..we had access to the VIP beach and the drinks and food there were 10x better.
*tons of pools and bars so the resort didn't seem too crowded.
*snorkling excursion was a lot of fun!

CONS:
* we were told we were guaranteed 3 dinner reservations when you checked in. We got one dinner reservation. When I argued with the guest services lady, she said you are only guaranteed 3 if you stay for at least 7 nights. We were staying for 4 but on the cheap caribbean website it says you get 3 reservations if you stay at least 4 nights. The thing that really ticked us off was that all the restaurants were empty most of the time. If I am paying that much for an all inclusive, I don't want to be eating at a buffett all day long. the rest of the trip we had to eat the buffett. Some of the food there was good and fresh depending on what time you went. We would go to the lunch buffett as soon as it opened and the food was ok. No one liked the buffets but we had no choice.
* 3 people we were with got sick and had food poisoning.
* the drinks were ok but unless you went over to the VIP beach, you didn't get the good liquor. I was disappointed in the "frozen" drinks..or should I say lack of frozen drinks. They weren't even frozen.
* the rooms were not the same as what was pictured on the site. They weren't dirty but they were definitely outdated and could have been nicer. We had no hot water the first 2 days we were there and called them twice to come fix it and they finally did. Another room had the same problem.
* for some reason, a lot of the workers there were not very friendly to us. We even tipped the bartenders a lot so we could get better service. A few of them were just plan nasty to us.

Overall, I had a great time with the friends we went with. The beach and the pools were great and we made the best of it. I wouldn't recommend this resort to anyone though. I think you can get a better resort for your money. However, if you are always booked and have to go, make the best of it..you will have a good time just be careful with what you eat!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen our Cofresi Palm Beach and Spa Resort to spend your holidays. We appreciate you took the time to express your experience in tripadviser.com. We are deeply sorry that your experience was not as good as you expected and that you were not completely satisfied with our service.

We wish to assure you that here at Cofresi Palm Beach and Spa Resort we take any comments as a constructive criticism. Our management will take note of your comments to evaluate how we can improve. We thank you again for your comments and for having been part of our resort.

Canmore, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Was a great trip there was 14 of us. The host for the shows did a great job, I forgot his name. Super Tino is very funny. The lady that works in the kids club did a very good job with all the kids shes very nice.The staff was friendly all was a good thing.The rooms were nice, the food was good. over all i would go back :)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Marlene L
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort as the hotel to enjoy your vacation and we also thank you for writing this comment about your experience here at our resort.
We are very happy to read that you had a great vacation and we will congratulate our animation staff.
Hope to have you back with us very soon.

Best regards,
Alexandria
Reviewed 31 March 2013

My brother and I just returned from 7 days at the Cofresi Resort. This resort is HUGE and divided into various sections (apartment style building, duplexes, and detached homes). There were things which were enjoyable and things which were not. Although we were "VIP" there are various levels of "VIP". There were a couple of bars which were virtually empty (with the wait staff just standing around) which we couldn't get into. Also a few restaurants are closed to the "public". It was kind of disturbing that there was this class structure at the resort.

From reading past Tripadvisor reviews the first thing we did was check out the room. The room was large. As we examined the room there were items which definitely needed repaired, but the worst was the bed. It was a cross between a sponge and a trampoline. You sit on the bed and the ends popped up. It was not comfortable at all. We immediately called guest services, explained the situation and were put on hold for 10 minutes. I called the front desk and was told someone would come by to take care of the situation. No one did. The next morning I went to the front desk and again explained the situation. I was told someone would call me. I returned to the room, got a phone call saying someone would be by to take care of the bed. No one showed up. At this point we figured we were beating a dead horse to get the bed changed. Although over the next 5 days were saw workers carrying mattresses around. Maybe they were looking for our room. That experience sort of set the tone for the resort. It did not ruin the trip, but sort of let us know what kind of "customer care" one would receive at Confresi.

There were many people getting ill the week we were there. Most of the guests we spoke with had a friend or relative who got sick. No one knew if it was an intestinal virus or food poisoning. Something was not right. I thought I was safe until the last night and then whatever it was got me. I spent a good portion of the night in the bathroom, which at least got me off the mattress. It was not a fun flight home yesterday. I still have chills, but the food is staying down. Also I saw more people on crutches and limping than I have at any ski resort. LOTS of steps which are stone and concrete. Many are uneven which makes getting around perilous, especially if one has consumed too many alcoholic drinks.

This morning I started unpacking my belongings. I opened my toiletry bag and a roach crawled out of the bag. A roach!! I saw a couple in the room at Confresi, but did not imagine one would catch a ride home with me. Again another example of the poor care of the rooms.

I have written a few reviews on previous resorts I have been to, but this is by far more negative than anywhere else I've stayed. Because the resort is so big the staff provided misinformation on various activities. For example one evening they were having a B-B-Q on the beach and a "Vegas" style revue afterwards. We were told to show up at the front lobby at 6:30 and then told the B-B-Q was an invitation only event (which turns out it was not) and then we were told to come back at 8:00 for the shuttle to the show. We did, waited 40 minutes, and were taken to the casino where the show had been moved to a pavilion on the resort. ??? If they spent as much effort on taking care of the guests needs as they do trying to sell vacation ownership this would probably be a better destination.

Now that I've vented the negative aspects of the resort, I'll share what was positive. The wait staff were great. The bartenders, waitresses, and activities staff were tremendous. The beach is large with plenty of space. Although the resort was full it never felt "crowded". There are swimming pools everywhere! We did a couple of day trips, but whenever we were at the beach we could always get our favorite spot under some trees. The Sunday night party was impressive, but get there early or you'll be stuck WAY in the back and have to watch the show from a telescreen. The party is held on a field larger than a football field. The food was OK. Usually you could find something in the cafeteria lines which was OK. We did 2 of the specialty restaurants. The Mexican one was good. We did try to get into a couple more, but we were not the right "VIP" members. Which also was frustrating because those places had very few patrons and many empty tables. Opps, there I go again.

My advice, just remember you get what you pay for. This was an inexpensive trip for this time of year. Do not expect this to be any more than a 3 star resort. It looks good from the outside, but once you peel away the "flash" it's not much to make one want to return. Also expect to loose electricity 2-3 times a day.

Room Tip: Building 40 is close to the beach. A :garden view" room is relatively quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank sparkadopolis
Dear Guest,

We are really sorry that we did not meet your expectations, anyhow we appreciate that you took your time to write this review.
The Cofresi Palm is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. We sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance.

Our rooms are in general in very good conditions even though, we have a continuous maintenance improvement plan in place for our rooms, the inconveniences that you mentioned that you experienced during your stay are unacceptable, Please accept my sincerest apologies, and know that I will be discussing your comments with our staff, especially with Guest Service team and Front desk team.

As you might know, all major Tour Operators promoting Puerto Plata require that we go by specifics hygiene and food handling standards. In order to audit those standards on a regular basis, we have hired an outsource company called Preverisk, a UK based company, Preverisk is used by most hotel chains and tour operators doing business in the Dominican Republic, Europe, US as well as Canada which all have access to the results of such audits. Those records do not show any significant deficiencies that would indicate a risk to our guests’ welfare.
Thank you so much for your positives comment for our bartenders, waitresses, and activities team.

You willingness to share your thoughts is appreciated. I hope you will allow us the opportunity in the future make your experience at our property an unforgettable one.