“Plan on losing weight...”

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #13 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Ironton, Ohio
“Plan on losing weight...”
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Let me start off by giving the pros of this is place. The pools were amazing, the resort was very clean, and the staff was very friendly for the most part. The best part of our trip by far was the visit to ocean world though. Now to get to the stuff we didnt like so much. The food was AWFUL...I'm serious when I tell you that I lost weight being on vacation here. The buffett was just down right awful, our only saving grace was the italian reservation place and their pizza was good and the only time I actually felt full for 7 days.We also had the moonlight place and the fish was nasty, but my husband said the pork chops were ok. Then we had the chineese place and it was the worst general tso's chicken I have ever tasted but my husbands noodles were ok. Combine the lack of food with all the walking and stairs and its an awesome diet, but who diets on vacation?! The other thing we were very disappointed in was the beach. Its very small, very crowded, and they had no water sports to do other then a banana boat which barley went out in the ocean. We tried to rent jet skis and they acted like I had 7 heads even asking them to do that.Another bad thing was the alcohol selection, if you dont like coconut like I dont then good luck finding a drink. They didnt know how to make basic drinks that didnt involve coconut or rum. Overall I would just say this place is ok if you dont care about eating and like coconut drinks then it may be for you but I would never go back. If your going to spend money on a trip like this just take a cruise, better food, more to do, and much better drinks.

Room Tip: We had a junior suite and it was nice and close to the best pools and the beach.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,020)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Northampton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 April 2013

My Daughter and I went on Groupon for 5 nights and after reading all the reviews I was alittle nervous.
When we arrived we were greeted by Zory who sat and explained their system and gave us 2 dinner reservations ..both for 6:30pm. My daughter does not eat meat so we wanted to exchange the Brazilian for another. no problem ,she gave us the Dominican same time.Then we received our room and tried to upgrade to a jr suite but none available. So far so good.

ROOM was 3rd floor in 205 and upon entering I did the inspection for mold and bugs,,,,nothing. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean and had bath and hand towels and washcloths. The air conditioning worked and so did the fridge.You could not hear our neighbors. All that worry for nothing. It was fine because we were not planning to stay in the room all day.We tipped our maids and gave them small toys for their children and we had plenty of drinks and towels..and they were great.

FOOD..we ate at the Dominican Restauant and our meals were very good( do not pass up the corn pudding for dessert). Also ate at the Moonlight , food was ok. we enjoyed the Pearl for breakfast with fresh omelets and pancakes and also ate lunch there. Had a much better selection for dinner at Casablaca.We did stay away from the salads. The drinks we had were good ..especially liked the Tiki TIKI. The wine was really bad

BEACHES AND POOLS...We had great weather and took advantage of the VIP beach we could use. We were waiting at the gates at 7:30am the days we were spending all day and it was worth it to get a covered bed. as we waited each mornng for the shuttle to take us one of the sales reps picked us up and took us there.The ocean was blue and warm and seaweed was not an isuue till late afternoon. Pools were all clean and enjoyable. Just wish the beach was open after 6 and the pools after 7 but we realized the help had to change and then serve dinner. These people work very hard to give you a great time.

TOURS.. I researched before we went and booked the City Tour with Cable Car Ride( saw the rum factory and amber museum) and theJeep Safari( seeing villages and how coffee was harvested as well as 7 waterfalls) It is a 25 minute hike to get to them.My daughter did the waterfalls but I chose to stay at the bottom and enjoy the beauty..too much climbing for me.We booked with Marysol Tours and they were great and a better price than at the resort. We also had them do our airport transfers($80.00) round trip for 2.

ENTERTAINMENT..We enjoyed the Sunday night party with the fireworks . The Thursday show was very flashy and fun . We did not make the nightly shows(too tired) but could hear the music and it sounded good,

Finally the sales pitch..we met Winston and he was not pushy or rude in any way. after I explained I would not buy without my husband he still drove us to breakfast and treated us great.In fact all the sales people would take you anywhere if they were going that way.the shuttles were great and we never waited more than 5 or 10 minutes.the stairs were good exercise.

This trip was a great time and for what we paid I have no complaints. I would go back again. It seems like they are really working on improving service.

Room Tip: from reviews thought the only good rooms wer jr suites but ours was great
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate that you took your time to write this comment, expressing the great time you had at the Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa resort.
We are really happy that you liked our facilities and we will congratulate Zory for providing a great hospitality.

Best Regards,
The management,
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 24 April 2013

My stay at Cofresi was my first time in a resort and it was great. I went with a couple of friends and we all loved it. I definitely want to come back to this resort. The place is beautiful and the personnel are awesome. They made sure that we were having a good time.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review of your stay in our property, Cofresi Palm Beach Resort and Spa.
We appreciate your nice comments and we are happy that you spend a satisfactory holidays with us.

We hope to see in our property in the near future.

The management
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Had an amazing time again.. this was our third year returning to the same place! Everything was decadent! Service, location, accommodation all superior! Also, the kids club entertainers are excellent! Especially Grace Alfredo! Thanks for a great week!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

We are grateful for your remarks and we will congratulate our Kids club staff, Grace and Alfredo for providing a great hospitality.

Best Regards,

The management
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 24 April 2013

3 Friends and I stayed here for 4 Nights ( 4/11-4/14/2013) and I have to say we were very skeptical from all the poor reviews. However, we booked through Groupon for $349 per 2 people for the trip (plus airfare $605 when we booked through United). So we went in with low expectations and were very pleasantly surprised.
First off, we booked a round trip shuttle through Viator.com for $26/person. It was a little hectic finding them outside the airport. Beware there are many taxi drivers and other services that will try to grab your bags and take you to your resort for a fee. If you pre-book as we did, if you don't see the company (orange shirts) right away, just ask and you'll eventually find them. The trip to the resort was about 30-40 minutes. A very scary trip indeed, tons of motorcyclists zipping around every car. Dominican driving will definitely keep you on your toes!

Upon Arrival, we met with Rory which is the person who handles Groupon guests (and maybe others that don't have timeshares...cheapcarribean etc.). She was very nice and pointed out all the attractions and gave us our yellow wristbands, etc. She also had 2 dinner reservations for us (One for thursday & Friday). She told us our room would be ready in 1 hour, so we grabbed some drinks and sat behind the main lobby near the first of many pools. After the hour was up we went back up to the front desk and found out that one of our room #'s had changed from what Rory had given us and one of the 2 rooms was located in a different building. I explained the issue to the gentleman at the desk and he handled it within about 5 minutes and changed the 2nd room to be 4 doors down from the other, so it worked. Then we hopped in a shuttle to get to our rooms and unpacked our bags.

Rooms: We stayed in the 2000 block of rooms (which is right next to a pool with swim up bar) and honestly I have to say they weren't as bad as many of the reviews. They were clean and did not smell and our AC worked great. Our other friends' room was a 2 bedroom that had 2 separate rooms for the beds. The only bad thing about their room was that there was a wine cooler instead of a mini fridge, but it still kept the drinks relatively cold. We tipped a $20 the first day in hopes that we would get restocked with beers, waters, etc after that (according to previous reviews). Unfortunately all we received were unique designs of the sheets and pillows on our beds each time they cleaned. It was ok, but I would have preferred to have some beverages instead. Other than that the cleaning ladies did a great job everyday and nothing was stolen from our rooms. They usually cleaned in the early afternoon when we were out anyways so that wasn't an issue. There was another couple we met that mentioned $500 was stolen from their room. They explained it to the front desk and got put in a Jr. suite for the remainder of their stay. Not necessarily making up for the several hundred dollar loss, but at least the hotel attempted to do something for them as no one could necessarily prove the money lost.

Food & Drinks: We only used one of our reservations and it was at the Moonlight Grill. We all had the flank steak and it was pretty good, not the best in my life, but better than expected. The restaurant is outside somewhat near the beach, so it was a nice atmosphere. The only hiccup with that experience is that we showed up about 15 minutes late to our reservation and the hostess was trying to make a big deal of it as she would not be able to fit us in. She turned around to look at the tables (nearly 80% of the tables were empty mind you) and looked back at us worried and said she may not be able to seat us. We honestly just laughed it off and were seated shortly afterwards with no issues. Other than that we ate at the Pearl buffet. It was average, nothing really great, but it did the trick. We weren't looking for a 5 star meal for the price we paid and just the fact that it was all inclusive. I've been to a much nicer resort with about the same food quality as the pearl, so no issues there. Just make sure that you time your breakfast out, they close from I believe 1030-1200 to prepare for the lunch crowd and there's only one other place that you can get a "snack" that's out near the beach. However, my friend stumbled upon a great little restaurant right on the beach to the left of the resort. If you walk onto the beach and head left, you can't miss it, it's only maybe 200 feet down right on the beach. They had some great honey garlic wings for only $199 DR (roughly $5) per lb. As far as drinks go, the quality of liquor at most all the bars accessible by yellow bracelets are poor quality, but they do the trick. Tip you bartender and ask for more rum! However, the place to go is the VIP Beach on the right side of the resort. We got the 2 vip beaches confused and didn't realize there were 2 of them until the last day unfortunately, but this is the place to be. All top shelf drinks, food served to you at your own cabana, it was great! The only issue is that the sand in that area (just above the actual beach) is not like the natural sand on the beach and is very very hot. I found myself hoping from one shaded area to the next. One nice feature is the cold pools, so if u get too hot, u can cool down in a big jacuzzi like cold pool, there were 2-3 of them up there. The only Issue we had with food was the last night at the big Sunday night party, my girlfriend and I both got food poisoning from the steak (we assume it was the steak because we were the only ones in our party to eat it and also get sick). Luckily it was the last night of our stay, but it was a rough night indeed and lasted into the next morning, which made for rough travels going home. No one else that we went with or met had gotten food poisioning, but the reviews we read had some mentions of it as well. Being that we ate steak on 2 occasions and got sick 1 of the 2, I can't say "don't try the steak", but I would just be careful and inspect the food as best you can before consuming.

Overall Experience:

We had a great time overall! For the price we paid, I couldnt have asked for anything better. Now if you are paying thousands of dollars to go here, yeah I would expect a bit more luxury, but you dont have to pay much to have an awesome time here.The service was always great, we never got hounded to join the timeshare, and we got to drink all day and party in the sun. The only downfall would be the last night's dinner, but I guess that's the risk you take when going on these resorts in other countries. The only other tip I would add is to check our CheapCarribean.com . We hear of all-in deals for this resort for $1150 for 2 people for 6 nights with airfare. So if you see the groupon deal again, maybe hold out and go cheapcarribean or even find a timeshare owner to rent from to save even more money.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank ChadR378
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We visited as apart of a groupon deal. It was more than worth the money (and a surprise valentines 5 day 4 night trip from the husband!). The resort is beautiful, easy walk across the property and to the beach, and a shuttle runs between the other properties. It is an all-inclusive property, including liquor. Since we weren't a member, we were limited in the restaurant choices, but we ate at a different a la carte restaurant each night (of course you need to get on the waiting list first thing each morning, but that's common with most all-inclusives) and had a great variety at the standard buffets and restaurants for breakfast and lunch. The food was outstanding!!!! The authentic island cuisine restaurant was probably my favorite. The property was big enough that I didn't have a problem securing a beach chair, but note it is a public beach (and they will try to sell you everything). We also took an excursion to the waterfalls on Saturday and did 7 (I think there was a total of 30 waterfalls you could see depending on the day and time). It was amazing and extremely scary jumping off a 3 story high waterfall!!! But I am so glad I had the experience. I can't remember the name of the tour guide groupon used, but they were great! The guide spoke english and french, we traveled in a jeep, a camera man taped the whole day and you could order a dvd (I think for $30) that was dropped off at your hotel the next day. At the waterfall location, we ate in the lunch area after the tour (food was great, but we were so hungry after our trek up and down the mountains and through the trees, I don't know if I truly tasted it). BRING WATER SHOES, preferably ones with some support. It's very rocky and you walk for a few hours. Since it was a surprise, I didn't know to pack these incidentals and we wore the shoes provided by the waterfall company. NO, NO, and NO, they were like rubber men's shoes from the 1940's. They were falling apart and did not have my size (7 1/2), so I was giving a pair of ratty and wetty church socks (which didn't help the blisters). Plus rocks get in them...just bring your own shoes. Otherwise, great. Our tour guide during lunch and the ride back was free flowing with the rum, so you can be really intoxicated when you get back to your hotel! Every Sunday in February is a "carnival" activity with the last Sunday being the main day. We were there mid-February, so we saw one of the small carnival activities. If you are used to New Orleans, it's not like that. It was only a few blocks long, with lots of people watching local groups act out skits and perform on stages in the middle of the road. But it was nice just being in the town, seeing the people and local vendors. We spent most of our time just enjoying food, beach, and a few of the resort activities (like the evening shows).

So you have heard about our main Saturday and Sunday activities (we flew in and out on Thursday and Monday); Friday's activity was the main downside to the trip. We didn't realize this was a part of the Lifestyles Holiday Vacation Club and they were going to try to sell us on a membership. We were snatched up first thing Friday morning after checking in with our groupon concierge. We spent the next 4 hours being escorted aroung the whole property, given high quality booze, seeing the various room options (from villas to fancy 1 room suites) and just receiving endless positive enthuisiasm from the representative. We get to the money talk...base members start at $14,000!!! Now mind you, this isn't just for this property, there are properties ALL over the world (including exquisite boutique hotels in the states like the LePavillion in New Orleans) and no matter what property you are at, you get it for the same price depending on room size (ex. $25/night for a standard room in a 5 star hotel or resort); plus all the VIP treatments (like on this property it would include the exclusive restaurants, free shuttles, waiters that come to you on the beach, etc. There is a small additional all-inclusive fee for those resorts). BUT, we do not travel enough to make the economically feasible, we don't really care about VIP treatment, and we just aren't financially stable enough for that. After we start telling them no, they kept doing the "what about this lower price/for just these years" trying to get us. When it finally sunk in that it wasn't happening, the whole mood of the representatives changed. They were deflated and basically dismissed us. We were told by some other visitors that they basically insisted that they were broke and couldn't afford a vacation package when approached and the tour never got underway. The other downside was related to the room. The room itself was your standard caribbean room, fine for us, I spend most of the time outside. The bed was comfortable enough, a few channels in English, my husband was able to get some internet access, bathroom was clean, air conditioning. What didn't work was the "chiller" by the door; it read 30 degrees but was hot as heck. Then all the bottles in the chiller already had the seals broken (as if they just refill with water). UM, no thank you. There are water stations outside of the room, just re-fill your own cup.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I have never been to an all inclusive resort before and had an amazing time. The best part were the people that worked there. Spaghetti was always smiling and making my friends and I laugh. Mosquito became our best friend for the week. Baby face and Bon jovi were sweet to us. And Edward the bartender at cheers was a pleasure. What a great time!

• Stayed April 2013