“Great experience”

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 29 March 2014

My partner and I had a great time at LHVC. We stayed the the Cofresi palm area and thought the accommodations (junior suite) were beautiful. Some renovations are happening in the Cofresi area so I would recommend building 40, 41 and 42 which around where we were. It's right next to the pool and very close to the beach! Many reviews about LHVC talk about the disparity of the service, but you have to understand that you are attending a club which has various levels of ownership/membership (shareholders, gold members, platinum members, etc.). These guests receive first priority in all restaurant bookings and a few other perks (understandably - they pay a lot to be members), so if you've booked off of a discount website - you will not be treated the same as a member. We went as Guest Members (of John and Pam Roth) and we got to experience a lot of really neat opportunities. I would highly recommend booking through them! If you purchase the VIP bracelet, in addition to all the regular stuff, you also have access to every VIP beach and restaurant except for one beach and one restaurant reserved for shareholders only. The beaches are absolutely beautiful, and the beds, hammocks, chairs are to die for. The bar service is excellent and so friendly - you can have all the drinks AND food you'd like brought to you out on your bed on the beach. Serenity beach is, by far, the best beach for those who are looking for a more tranquil experience. It's a piece of heaven! As for booking, we had a great experience booking through John and Pam Roth. They were quick to respond to us and had many pages of information to prepare us for our trip. We were very happy with the service that they provided and would happily book through them again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank akalb104
Write a ReviewReviews (3,851)

Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

My sister and I went in Cofrési We spent of excellent holidays, we appreciated quite specially Speedy Gonzales, for his dedication, it is always thoughtful, he works well all day long and all evening long, we noticed that the clientele of the hotel liked very much him and of this fact too thanks to Speedy you made of our most memorable stay it is the number 1 of the team of animation .Cofrési deserve 5 stars .Us are going to come back for from magnificent There!!!!!!

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Mar 4-11, 2014 was the first time my partner and I had stayed at the Cofresi, we loved it so much that we are returning April 7-14, 2014. I have never returned to the same resort twice so that itself speaks volumes.
Out of all the countries I have traveled to Dominican Republic is my favorite place to be. As for AI resorts, I have been to several areas within the DR staying at some 4 but mostly at 5 and 5+ star in La Romana, Samana, Punta Cana, Boca Chica, Las Terrenas, Puerto Plata and the list goes on. However, after being to Puerto Plata twice in the past year, I swore there had to be a betterhotel and I found it at the Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort. It was recommended to me by a local so I booked the resort, afterward I checked the reviews on tripadvisor and cringed and thought omg what have I gotten myself into. I promised to stay open minded and just think of the vitamin D.

So, here's my mini review of the Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort...

What a delightful resort, very friendly and professional staff.

Pools - one for everybody's individuality, a small quiet one was where I enjoyed hiding out for a couple hours each day. The main one, near the lobby was also another favorite. Many people congregated around the large one by the beach where the entertainment staff were and by the sounds coming from that general direction a great time was had by all.

Bar Staff - excellent! More often than not the bartenders knew what you were drinking before you ordered and it had nothing to do with the amount you tipped. Great service!

Food - not a huge buffet but at the Pearl I managed my protein and veg at every meal, my partner enjoyed his rice, protein and late night hamburgers. On two occasions we took the shuttle to the Tropical next door for lunch and ate at their buffet. We only ate at one ala carte, Johnny's, the food was good, the restaurant itself has a funky/musty odor.

Clean - every part of the resort was kept clean.
Our room was spotless, towels were fresh, bed was made and bathroom was cleaned daily. There was one instance where I had to pass through as our maid was mopping the floor. She went back and mopped my foot prints, I felt bad.
The grounds and washrooms were always impeccably clean.

It is a large resort, lots of walking and stairs so be prepared. I am fairly fit but by the time our week was up my legs were feeling it.

What I would like to see - a cafe bar; somewhere that you can sit and enjoy a freshly brewed cappuccino, espresso or cup of Dominican coffee with or without a liqueur.

Our room was a little outdated but for a 4* the bed was really comfy so I slept like a baby...

Looking forward to April 7, 2014
10 more sleeps ;)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I stayed at the Cofresi from March 20th -27th 2014. We were 2 couples travelling together. My boyfriend and I stayed in a "Junior Suite" in building 42, the other couple we were travelling with couldn't get a Junior Suite (all booked) so were moved between 3 regular rooms (because the 1st 2 were unbelievably yucky).
The Junior Suite was acceptable, a nice size and the mattress was really comfy. The VIP beach that the Junior Suite gave us access to was a joke, very crowded and lots of kids in the tubs. We spent our days in one of the huts on the much less crowded regular beach and walk over to the Junior Suite ViP for drinks (better quality).
The staff o the hotel were all very nice and friendly.
This was my 3rd trip to Puerto Plata, the 2 previous times I had stayed at the Riu and wanted to try something else out this time.
The part of this resort that made it a place I would not recommend is the problem they have with their sewage system, when walking through the resort certain areas would set off my gag reflex! The 2nd room that the other couple we were with had was smack dab in the middle of this smell. It is honestly the nastiest thing I have ever smelled! The resort should really consider shutting down until the problem is resolved.
The Sunday night party/dinner was very cool, Wednesday night and Thursday night parties were not the impressive.
They don't play very much Caribbean music which I really enjoy. Instead they play AC/DC and common pop music.

Room Tip: If you haven't already bought your vacation try the Riu.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mandy450
Reviewed 28 March 2014

First of all, I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this hotel! I would absolutely recommend it to everyone!

Anyway, the best thing was the entertainment staff. I can't believe how Micky, Shaggy, Rambo, Blackie, Speedy & Julio can work so hard all the time. They are doing amazing job with hotel guest every day... When you are coming to this hotel, make sure that you get to know these guys. I got myself back on track in my life during my trip at Puerto Plata because of these wonderful people. I would like to thank especially Blackie - please say to him that he really cares about other people and I have never seen so good heart than he has.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mirka S
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Every day was a party, the staff was always friendly and a blast to be around. The staff at cofresi was the best. Some of being Blackie, Rambo, Julio, Shaggy, Mikey, Speedy, Darlyn. If youre looking for a good time this is the place to go. The food was also very good.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Leannesabo
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Although my wife and I enjoyed the resort, the hidden gem is the tennis pro, Li Lo. On top of being a great teacher and player, he was very friendly and helpful. His rates are reasonable and if you are a beginner he offers a free lesson to get started.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family