Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Be Live Collection Marien(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$160
Be Live Hotels
  • Breakfast included
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$156
US$157
Iberostar.com
  • Breakfast included
Sunscape Puerto Plata Dominican Republic(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$180
US$159
  • Breakfast included
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$303
US$158
US$128
US$131
  • Pool
Blue JackTar(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$154
US$149
Travelocity
ClubHotel Riu Merengue(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$112
TripAdvisor
4,093 results
All reviewsthe pearlvip beachjunior suiteminnie mousevip partysexy bananawelcome partyel pilonblue lagooncasablanca buffetanimation teamdominican restaurantthese guysstandard roomcoco locofoam partyocean world
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I read a lot of the bad reviews before we left and have determined that they were making mountains out of mole hills. You have to remember that this isn't a $250/night resort. And you gotta just go with it!

We bought and made reservations through Groupon. It's about a 30 minute, $50 taxi drive from the airport. Once we arrived, we were greeted immediately and they had a list of their check-ins separated by who you booked through. We were on their Groupon list which was for a VIP stay. A nice young lady checked us in. Told us were were upgraded to a Spa room. Went through some of the paper work and locked us down with the blue rubber VIP bracelets. And we were given maps of the resort with the places we were allowed to go circled. One of our rooms wasn't yet ready, so she told us to check back. So we decided to grab lunch first.

Food - The Pearl is the buffet at Cofresi Palm. We ate there twice and it is okay at best. Then we ventured over to the buffet at The Tropical called Casablanca and it is way better. I wouldn't waste my time at The Pearl. There is more variety and tasted like better quality food. Their bread is different from American bread. Thick and kinda bland. And their versions of French toast and croissants aren't what we're used to, so I stayed away from those. But they have an omelette station, pasta station, smoothie station, a lot of different foods everyday.
As far as the restaurant reservations, we weren't quite sure how it worked. They gave us a ticket that said we had a reservation on our last night there at the Italian restaurant at 9:30. If you wanted to change it, you had to go to Guest Services at a certain time to change them. We did change them to El Pilon,their authentic DR food. It was interesting. I enjoyed what I ordered.

Pools/Beach - NV Beach at Cofresi Palm was really nice. Had beds with white sheets by the beach and a very nice breeze blowing through. But we spent most of our time at the pool at The Tropical. There they have the Animation team playing games with the people. And you can walk down to the VIP Beach that also has the nice beds. And there is free WiFi there. I used it on my phone and it had a very nice connection and speed. And there're always waiters walking around to get you drinks. Or a bar very nearby that you can walk/swim to. We saw the pools being cleaned every morning. All the areas seemed very clean. And there were towel stations near the pools that we went to. Just be sure to return them to the same station.

Drinks - Not the highest quality liquor or wine, and the drinks on the menu are really sweet. So I switched to ordering fruit punch and vodka, which was just sweet enough. They have either red wine or white wine. I had the white wine twice at dinner and it did the job. The last day we discovered the Dirty Monkey, a chocolate Kahlua type drink that is so yummy! Order it!

Our room - We stayed in 203 which was in the middle of Cofresi Palm and Tropical. Very convenient spot. It was by the Yin Yang Spa which I think is what she meant by our Spa upgrade. The prices there were pretty pricey, so we never visited. In the room, the A/C was great. The water pressure was strong. Our toilet flushed. Our beds were made everyday. And water bottles were always replaced. They usually gave us two smaller bottles and one large one. Plus a couple of beers in the fridge. The only complaint is that we seemed to be getting bit by mosquitos or bugs while we were under the covers. We had them change the sheets one night, but we were still getting one or two bites. It was quiet though. We could hear the noises of water running, but we didn't hear people in any other rooms.

Resort itself - I really had a great time here. We definitely had to find our way around the first day. And the map makes everything look much farther away than it really is. But if you don't want to walk, there are carts or vans driving around all the time. The longest we had to wait was 5 minutes. All the employees there are very helpful. "Como estas?" Everyone you see will ask you that. All the men are also very flirty! But not in a creepy way. In a flattering Dominican way. The few surly people we encountered were at the Front Desk when we either called or walked up for some information. As for the sewage smell some people talked about, I didn't ever smell anything. Even when I did walk by the sewage line many times. I usually try to avoid public bathrooms anyway, so if you can hold it and walk back to your room, do it. The one bathroom I used in the lobby backed that up.

Taxi - We took a taxi twice to go outside the resort. Beware the taxi will come with a second guy who will offer you his tour guide services. At first, it's a little confusing to understand what is really going on, but just let him know that you'd rather explore on your own and that you don't need his services. Eventually.... he will relent and get out of the taxi. The good thing is that fare prices are posted up at the airport and hotel. So you know exactly how much you'll be paying. For roundtrips, the driver will actually wait for you.

Souvenirs - We took a taxi into town to get souvenirs, which was really unnecessary and actually more expensive. The resort has a lot of souvenir shops with the same stuff that's outside. For example, I bought a bottle of Mamajuana for $18 in town, while the same bottle was $10 at the resort. ugh!!

Sunday welcome party - A must go! Go early and get a table near the front. We were pleasantly surprised at the show that they put on. First off, all the restaurants are closed, so you have to eat the buffet. Which is really big. Whole smoked pigs, steaks, sushi, gyros. It wasn't the greatest of food, but the presentation was grand. Tip - Get dessert at the same time you get food. If you wait to come back later, most of it will be gone. The show was pretty much non-stop. Singing, dancing, costumes, fireworks, lights. And after all that tame stuff, they have a DJ come out to play younger popular songs. Then two "firefighters" come out with hoses and spray us all with foam for the next hour or so. It was really fun just watching from the sidelines. Oo! And that firefighter!

I would definitely recommend Cofresi for an affordable relaxing getaway!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank kimpong
The Management T, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa resort as the hotel to enjoy your vacation and we also thank you for writing this comment about your experience here at our resort.
We are very happy to read that you had a great vacation and that you would recommend us to your friends.
We also appreciate your recommendation to other future guests.
Hope to have you back with us very soon.

Best regards,

The Management

Reviewed 18 June 2014

3 years ago I found this vacation spot on Cheap Caribean (first vacation to an Island). I loved the resort so much that the second day upgraded to become a member (GOLD bracelet). Even though the beaches weren't the nicest, I loved everything else about the resort. A few months later planned another trip and stayed in the beautiful Junior suites at Cofresi, buildings 40-43. The room was awesome, all marble, jacuzzi tub, clean and NEW! Staff was awesome, not too crowded and felt like an important member of the resort. Had a great experience. Last year in 2013 I went to Punta Cana and stayed at the Melia Caribe. Top notch resort, but was looking forward to coming back to Cofresi in 2014.

May 2014 arrived in Puerto Plata at Cofresi Palm. No welcome drink which I had always received previously. Was helped at the VIP check-in and when I confirmed that I was staying in either building 41 to 43 was told no. My room was in building 201. I fought this immediately because I had requested multiple times through email with the member rep that I wanted one of those buildings. They told us that the buildings I were requesting were called the Beach front Studios, not junior suites and cost an additional 100/week. The resort changed what they called these buildings in the year that I did not visit. So there was some confusion when booking. My rep should've told me I had to pay an extra 100 for the building that I was requesting, but she didn't. VIP check-in told me to not worry. The next day there would be plenty of rooms available in the beach front studios. Told me to NOT unpack. Come the next day at 10 and they would change our rooms. No problem... until the next day... they are booked! And they tell me that if we had switched the day before we could've switched into the beach front studios. Extremely angry at this point, but I tried to not let it ruin my trip. We c omplained enough about the current building we were in (building 201) because it was on the edge of the resort on the service road, so after enough complaints they switched us to building 207. Same type of room, but better location. Rest of the trip I can some up quick... It wasn't very crowded so not sure how the beach front studios were BOOKED. Groupon vacationers were allowed at all of the member only sections... Also were staying the in villas and beach front studios and had golf carts, when I am a member that paid for a membership package and I was in a crappy standard room without a golf cart. Every member I met had the same experience as us (misery loves company so at least that made us feel better). The beach was worse than I had ever seen it. Trash floating all over!! GROSS.. I didn't even want to get in the water. The food was the same as I remembered it so not many complaints there. I actually really liked the Tapas Lounge. Good tapas and wine, but if a black band member is there... forget about good service. They are fully concentrated on the Black banned member.

Once you've bought a membership package they don't care about you!! So you get treated like crap from most. The workers at the bars, restaurants and vip beaches/pools are they exception. They do give outstanding service.

I will NEVER go back to this resort AGAIN! I don't care if I bought into the membership.. It taught me a lesson to never do that again. After staying at a top notch resort like the Melia, it is true.... YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!

Room Tip: if you go only stay in Building 40-43. They the only nice rooms at Cofresi.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Taylor M

Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen Cofresi Palm Beach and Spa Resort to spend your holidays. We appreciate you took the time to express your experience in this review. We are deeply sorry that your experience was not as good as you had expected and that you were not completely satisfied with our service.
We wish to assure you that we take any comments as a constructive criticism. Our management will take note of your comments to evaluate how we can improve our services.

Best Regards,
The Management

Reviewed 18 June 2014

This was my first time in Dominican Republic so I did not know what to expect. I went with my boyfriend and we loved it! The resort was beautiful, the people and the service was great. My favorites were Shaggy, Speedy and the main man was Julio Nice..he was amazing and very helpful. They were awesome dancers and made sure we were always laughing and having fun. As for the pools, very relaxing and a lot to choose from. The beach was so nice even though there was some seaweed. And the vip beach was killer! The parties and shows were too much fun. We were also able to watch WorldCup. The food was good but I'm not picky anyway. We even rented a dirt bike and went into the city for an adventure. This was a trip to remember and we will be going back one day for sure. Love Polina xx

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Cofresi Palm Beach and Spa Resort.
Thank you for this nice comments.

Please allow us to reassure that we are extremely proud to have provided you a great time, which reflects the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years.
We are looking forward to welcoming you once again and continue providing the most unforgettable experiences.

Best regards,

The management

Reviewed 18 June 2014

went to cofresi palm beach and spa resort, wit my girlfriend and had a EPIC time. Friendly staff and beautiful environment , "Jiulio Nice" was hands down the best , also for shaggy and speedy gonzoli (makes cat meows lol) I had a great time and will defiantly go back to the same resort. I rented a dirt bike and went out on my own wit my girl nothing to worry about only thing to worry about is the crazy amount of bike riders and the way they ride, if u have it in u and can ride wit no fear then I strongly suggest u do it too. the best parts of Dominican republic is the scenery. The shows at the resort were amazing. Food was okay for im a very picky eater and I liked it hit or miss .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

I would just like to say that I had an amazing stay at cofresi nothing but great people and the one and only speedy Gonzales what a great guy he is so much fun and a great dancer, he will get you to do anything even if you dont want too..he will make you laugh till you cry...so further due I had a great time and will be back soon...yaya speedy Gonzales

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends