“Beautiful”

Ranked #12 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Rochester
“Beautiful”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My husband and I just got back from a week stay At the cofresi resort!! We loved everything about it especially the food and drinks this is def paradise and we would love to come back again!! Thanks to Julio nice and his entire crew for the great hospitality they have and the ability to make our stay fun!! Their dancing was awesome

• Stayed June 2014
The Management T, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate that you took your time to write this comment, expressing how much fun you had at the Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa resort.
We are really happy that you liked our facilities and we will congratulate Julio for providing a great hospitality.

Best Regards,

The management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,020)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Carrboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We just got back from a week at Cofresi. We had purchased a groupon special, and I was a bit terrified with the reviews. I have to say that I really think the attitude you arrive with will dictate what type of stay you have. We loved our stay, and were determined not to let any small challenges ruin our trip. We paid $99/night for 2 people, and that gave us a reasonably high level of VIP access. That is a phenomenal value, and the resort far and away exceeds that price range. Was it a $400/night experience? No. But should it have been for $99/night?! On to the specifics, the good, the bad, and what we recommend!

The Good:
* The resort is beautiful and immaculate.
* The service is generally very good; the people are lovely and friendly. It was not very busy when we were there. It felt like there were more staff than guests.
* We had no complaints about the food. The Pearl buffet is not great unless you are a boring American who wants nothing but hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza, and french fries. The Casablanca buffet (at the tropical) has a more interesting variety, and is very good. Note that I am an immunosuppressed person with a very heavy intolerance for water. I never once got sick. The water is bottled everywhere, even though they pour it from pitchers at meals. We ate at El Pilon, Bellini (lunch), El Trapiche, and Blue Lagoon. These ranged from decent to very good.
* Pools are beautiful and clean.
* Shuttle service was decent; we never had to wait more than 10 minutes.
* VIPS parties, especially the Sunday one, are wonderful.
* Beaches: As many have pointed out, this is Atlantic side. It is not a huge expanse of creamy white sand. But the water is blue, the sand is smooth, and the resort has done a wonderful job with its beaches. True, there is a small (12") wall separating the resort from public beach, but I never felt like i wasn't on the beach. And the beach beds, loungers, etc... top notch! Plus, they bring you food and drink!

The bad:
* THE SEWAGE SMELL. Yuck. This is mentioned in reviews over and over again. It's disgusting, and the resort needs to fix it! It greatly concerns me that they keep building and adding on, and they aren't addressing a major issue that will always keep this resort from rising above 3 stars. Our first room reeked; I can't believe they actually expect anyone to sleep there.
* Maintenance: We had to change rooms 4 times. First, the sewage smell. Second, water pouring (not dripping, pouring) from the ceiling. There was obvious ongoing water damage there. Again, if you know there's a problem, why put anyone in that room? The rooms are nicely decorated, but ongoing maintenance appears to be a challenge for them. Rooms were in need of paint, light bulbs burnt out, large holes in tile floor, etc. Basic wear and tear isn't being kept up with. Nothing that affected us in a major way, but again, you're confining yourselves to a certain star level if you don't get on this.
* Dinner reservations/inconsistency: The dinner reservation process is ridiculous and cumbersome. They will pre-assign you a certain number of reservations (based on your length of stay). They can be for any time, and seemingly any restaurant. They can only be changed between 9-10 the morning of the reservation. For days without reservations, you need to go to the lobby after 2 to see what's available. None of this makes any sense. Put your reservations system online, and let people take care of it before they leave on their trip. Something else that bugged me... certain restaurants are supposed to be for gold/black VIPs only. But this policy isn't applied consistently. We met two blue band guests who didn't even have the high level blue we had (they had the cheap plastic blue bracelets, we had the VIP rubber ones). One of their pre-assigned reservations was for Jazz. We asked, and were told we could not request or dine at Jazz at all. We met another couple with blue bands identical to ours. They were allowed to request (and received) dining at Simply Gourmet. When I asked about this (on Saturday), I was told "only on Fridays". Would have been nice if you had told me this on Friday when I was sitting in front of you requesting a dinner reservation! We were never able to dine at Rodizio, which was disappointing. The resort was fairly empty, and yet they seemed unwilling to assign reservations to restaurants that were not even half full.
* Breakfast: Needs some help. Cook the bacon, please! More bread products (muffins, bagels, etc.), and fried/crispy potatoes, not steamed.
* Management: As I stated above, service is generally good. However, they don't really seem to have a policy to recognize when there is a problem, and do something to make up for it. After having to change rooms 3 times, the last two of which were at midnight, we received a lot of phone calls asking if everything was alright. (3 of these calls woke us up!) That was not really what we needed. What would have been appreciated would be something like making a special dinner reservation for us, so we didn't have to leave the beach and spend an hour dealing with it. Put us in a premium restaurant; you are the manager, and you can certainly make exceptions. That would have put a much better taste in our mouths than phone calls that woke us up to ask if we were happy.

A word about the drinks, which belong neither in the good nor bad category. Our package was supposed to deliver "top shelf spirits", which it did, if you knew where to get them. But most of the drinks were watered down and overly sweet. I would have expected better at NV Beach, since it's supposed to be VIP. We did see, and get, premium liquor at the VIP pool and the VIP sports bar.

Recommendations:
* NV Beach: This is a gem! You can get access with your groupon blue band. It is quiet, has a lot of shade, and luxurious beds, loungers, etc. We found VIP beach to be very crowded; you can reach out and touch your neighbor. Additionally, people were showing up at 7:15 at VIP to get swinging beds (and this was not a crowded time of year). We got to NV around 8:30, and were always the first ones there to reserve a bed. You also get drink service and okay pizzas delivered to you.
* Bellini for lunch: Not too many people seem to know this a la carte is open for lunch. They have a selection of pastas and pizzas, and a small salad bar. It is peaceful and quiet, and a nice change from the crowded buffets. Try the carbonara, not the pesto.
* VIP Pool at night: Don't know if this happens regularly, but we stumbled upon it and it was candlelit. We were greeted at the door with champagne and roses. Premium drink service inside, and large screens playing a live Andrea Bocelli show. So romantic!
* VIP sports bar: Tiny, but you can get premium drinks and help yourself to popcorn and nachos. Good if you have a few minutes to kill.

So, we had a great time. Especially loved Jose at NV Beach; he took great care of us with a great smile. We even worked with him to teach the bartender to make a "Painkiller". We miss you, Jose!

This resort tries hard and does a great job. Work out a few kinks, and focus on what you have before you expand, and you can be a true 4 star resort. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Junior suites are nice, but back of 40 building had bad sewage smell. Ends of buildings can be nois...
10 Thank Mom22Gr8Grlz
Dear guest,

First of all we thank you for choosing Cofresi Palm Beach Resort & Spa for your holidays and for the time you took to share your review with the Tripadvisor community.
We would like to thank you for highlighting our strengths and weaknesses. Please be sure that your observations are taking into great consideration for their analysis, in order to improve the points you mentioned.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Cofresi Palm Beach to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you may have about us

Lauderdale by the Sea, Florida
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Like everyone else we got the "deal" through Cheap Caribbean. I have been to a few all inclusives and have heard great things about the D.R. The resort was very nice, the pools were great. We had a average room with a very nice bathroom. The view was of a walk path and small hill. We were supposed to be at the Tropical but they upgraded us to the Cofrsi. We ended up with 2 twin beds instead of a king. The beds were very hard and we woke up with sore backs every morning. Overall not too bad.
I was very excited about the food, every place I had been served excellent food. Not here. It was horrible. At every restaurant and every buffet. I did not mind the process to get reservations but the food hurt you. Some of it did not even taste that bad but beware, you will get food poisoning. It was very apparent the last day we were there after eating at the Asian place and got sick again. Everyone we met around the property had gotten sick the night before after eating there.
They advertise premium alcohol. It is not. It gets tough to drink after a few days. I ended up getting a bottle from a local liquor store.
They will take you on a tour right to the sales office. You really think you are going to check out the place and they try and sell you. As soon as I got there I told them I had no interest and they let us go.
Never made a show due to the food and not leaving the room any night. Did the extreme tour and it was worth it. Service at the resort was poor and you only got something if you tip. Don't expect any better service even when you tip.
One more thing. At night there are many area's that have a HORRIBLE sewer smell. It is sometimes overwhelming. The smell was in our room from about 9 until we went to sleep. I have seen others post they smelt in 3 in the morning.
Not the worst place overall but I sure have no interest to go back to the D.R.

3 Thank Cameron B
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I read a lot of the bad reviews before we left and have determined that they were making mountains out of mole hills. You have to remember that this isn't a $250/night resort. And you gotta just go with it!

We bought and made reservations through Groupon. It's about a 30 minute, $50 taxi drive from the airport. Once we arrived, we were greeted immediately and they had a list of their check-ins separated by who you booked through. We were on their Groupon list which was for a VIP stay. A nice young lady checked us in. Told us were were upgraded to a Spa room. Went through some of the paper work and locked us down with the blue rubber VIP bracelets. And we were given maps of the resort with the places we were allowed to go circled. One of our rooms wasn't yet ready, so she told us to check back. So we decided to grab lunch first.

Food - The Pearl is the buffet at Cofresi Palm. We ate there twice and it is okay at best. Then we ventured over to the buffet at The Tropical called Casablanca and it is way better. I wouldn't waste my time at The Pearl. There is more variety and tasted like better quality food. Their bread is different from American bread. Thick and kinda bland. And their versions of French toast and croissants aren't what we're used to, so I stayed away from those. But they have an omelette station, pasta station, smoothie station, a lot of different foods everyday.
As far as the restaurant reservations, we weren't quite sure how it worked. They gave us a ticket that said we had a reservation on our last night there at the Italian restaurant at 9:30. If you wanted to change it, you had to go to Guest Services at a certain time to change them. We did change them to El Pilon,their authentic DR food. It was interesting. I enjoyed what I ordered.

Pools/Beach - NV Beach at Cofresi Palm was really nice. Had beds with white sheets by the beach and a very nice breeze blowing through. But we spent most of our time at the pool at The Tropical. There they have the Animation team playing games with the people. And you can walk down to the VIP Beach that also has the nice beds. And there is free WiFi there. I used it on my phone and it had a very nice connection and speed. And there're always waiters walking around to get you drinks. Or a bar very nearby that you can walk/swim to. We saw the pools being cleaned every morning. All the areas seemed very clean. And there were towel stations near the pools that we went to. Just be sure to return them to the same station.

Drinks - Not the highest quality liquor or wine, and the drinks on the menu are really sweet. So I switched to ordering fruit punch and vodka, which was just sweet enough. They have either red wine or white wine. I had the white wine twice at dinner and it did the job. The last day we discovered the Dirty Monkey, a chocolate Kahlua type drink that is so yummy! Order it!

Our room - We stayed in 203 which was in the middle of Cofresi Palm and Tropical. Very convenient spot. It was by the Yin Yang Spa which I think is what she meant by our Spa upgrade. The prices there were pretty pricey, so we never visited. In the room, the A/C was great. The water pressure was strong. Our toilet flushed. Our beds were made everyday. And water bottles were always replaced. They usually gave us two smaller bottles and one large one. Plus a couple of beers in the fridge. The only complaint is that we seemed to be getting bit by mosquitos or bugs while we were under the covers. We had them change the sheets one night, but we were still getting one or two bites. It was quiet though. We could hear the noises of water running, but we didn't hear people in any other rooms.

Resort itself - I really had a great time here. We definitely had to find our way around the first day. And the map makes everything look much farther away than it really is. But if you don't want to walk, there are carts or vans driving around all the time. The longest we had to wait was 5 minutes. All the employees there are very helpful. "Como estas?" Everyone you see will ask you that. All the men are also very flirty! But not in a creepy way. In a flattering Dominican way. The few surly people we encountered were at the Front Desk when we either called or walked up for some information. As for the sewage smell some people talked about, I didn't ever smell anything. Even when I did walk by the sewage line many times. I usually try to avoid public bathrooms anyway, so if you can hold it and walk back to your room, do it. The one bathroom I used in the lobby backed that up.

Taxi - We took a taxi twice to go outside the resort. Beware the taxi will come with a second guy who will offer you his tour guide services. At first, it's a little confusing to understand what is really going on, but just let him know that you'd rather explore on your own and that you don't need his services. Eventually.... he will relent and get out of the taxi. The good thing is that fare prices are posted up at the airport and hotel. So you know exactly how much you'll be paying. For roundtrips, the driver will actually wait for you.

Souvenirs - We took a taxi into town to get souvenirs, which was really unnecessary and actually more expensive. The resort has a lot of souvenir shops with the same stuff that's outside. For example, I bought a bottle of Mamajuana for $18 in town, while the same bottle was $10 at the resort. ugh!!

Sunday welcome party - A must go! Go early and get a table near the front. We were pleasantly surprised at the show that they put on. First off, all the restaurants are closed, so you have to eat the buffet. Which is really big. Whole smoked pigs, steaks, sushi, gyros. It wasn't the greatest of food, but the presentation was grand. Tip - Get dessert at the same time you get food. If you wait to come back later, most of it will be gone. The show was pretty much non-stop. Singing, dancing, costumes, fireworks, lights. And after all that tame stuff, they have a DJ come out to play younger popular songs. Then two "firefighters" come out with hoses and spray us all with foam for the next hour or so. It was really fun just watching from the sidelines. Oo! And that firefighter!

I would definitely recommend Cofresi for an affordable relaxing getaway!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank kimpong
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa resort as the hotel to enjoy your vacation and we also thank you for writing this comment about your experience here at our resort.
We are very happy to read that you had a great vacation and that you would recommend us to your friends.
We also appreciate your recommendation to other future guests.
Hope to have you back with us very soon.

The Management
Chicopee, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 June 2014

3 years ago I found this vacation spot on Cheap Caribean (first vacation to an Island). I loved the resort so much that the second day upgraded to become a member (GOLD bracelet). Even though the beaches weren't the nicest, I loved everything else about the resort. A few months later planned another trip and stayed in the beautiful Junior suites at Cofresi, buildings 40-43. The room was awesome, all marble, jacuzzi tub, clean and NEW! Staff was awesome, not too crowded and felt like an important member of the resort. Had a great experience. Last year in 2013 I went to Punta Cana and stayed at the Melia Caribe. Top notch resort, but was looking forward to coming back to Cofresi in 2014.

May 2014 arrived in Puerto Plata at Cofresi Palm. No welcome drink which I had always received previously. Was helped at the VIP check-in and when I confirmed that I was staying in either building 41 to 43 was told no. My room was in building 201. I fought this immediately because I had requested multiple times through email with the member rep that I wanted one of those buildings. They told us that the buildings I were requesting were called the Beach front Studios, not junior suites and cost an additional 100/week. The resort changed what they called these buildings in the year that I did not visit. So there was some confusion when booking. My rep should've told me I had to pay an extra 100 for the building that I was requesting, but she didn't. VIP check-in told me to not worry. The next day there would be plenty of rooms available in the beach front studios. Told me to NOT unpack. Come the next day at 10 and they would change our rooms. No problem... until the next day... they are booked! And they tell me that if we had switched the day before we could've switched into the beach front studios. Extremely angry at this point, but I tried to not let it ruin my trip. We c omplained enough about the current building we were in (building 201) because it was on the edge of the resort on the service road, so after enough complaints they switched us to building 207. Same type of room, but better location. Rest of the trip I can some up quick... It wasn't very crowded so not sure how the beach front studios were BOOKED. Groupon vacationers were allowed at all of the member only sections... Also were staying the in villas and beach front studios and had golf carts, when I am a member that paid for a membership package and I was in a crappy standard room without a golf cart. Every member I met had the same experience as us (misery loves company so at least that made us feel better). The beach was worse than I had ever seen it. Trash floating all over!! GROSS.. I didn't even want to get in the water. The food was the same as I remembered it so not many complaints there. I actually really liked the Tapas Lounge. Good tapas and wine, but if a black band member is there... forget about good service. They are fully concentrated on the Black banned member.

Once you've bought a membership package they don't care about you!! So you get treated like crap from most. The workers at the bars, restaurants and vip beaches/pools are they exception. They do give outstanding service.

I will NEVER go back to this resort AGAIN! I don't care if I bought into the membership.. It taught me a lesson to never do that again. After staying at a top notch resort like the Melia, it is true.... YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!

Room Tip: if you go only stay in Building 40-43. They the only nice rooms at Cofresi.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Taylor M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen Cofresi Palm Beach and Spa Resort to spend your holidays. We appreciate you took the time to express your experience in this review. We are deeply sorry that your experience was not as good as you had expected and that you were not completely satisfied with our service.
We wish to assure you that we take any comments as a constructive criticism. Our management will take note of your comments to evaluate how we can improve our services.

Best Regards,
The Management
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This was my first time in Dominican Republic so I did not know what to expect. I went with my boyfriend and we loved it! The resort was beautiful, the people and the service was great. My favorites were Shaggy, Speedy and the main man was Julio Nice..he was amazing and very helpful. They were awesome dancers and made sure we were always laughing and having fun. As for the pools, very relaxing and a lot to choose from. The beach was so nice even though there was some seaweed. And the vip beach was killer! The parties and shows were too much fun. We were also able to watch WorldCup. The food was good but I'm not picky anyway. We even rented a dirt bike and went into the city for an adventure. This was a trip to remember and we will be going back one day for sure. Love Polina xx

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Cofresi Palm Beach and Spa Resort.
Thank you for this nice comments.

Please allow us to reassure that we are extremely proud to have provided you a great time, which reflects the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years.
We are looking forward to welcoming you once again and continue providing the most unforgettable experiences.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 June 2014

went to cofresi palm beach and spa resort, wit my girlfriend and had a EPIC time. Friendly staff and beautiful environment , "Jiulio Nice" was hands down the best , also for shaggy and speedy gonzoli (makes cat meows lol) I had a great time and will defiantly go back to the same resort. I rented a dirt bike and went out on my own wit my girl nothing to worry about only thing to worry about is the crazy amount of bike riders and the way they ride, if u have it in u and can ride wit no fear then I strongly suggest u do it too. the best parts of Dominican republic is the scenery. The shows at the resort were amazing. Food was okay for im a very picky eater and I liked it hit or miss .