“Awesome Trip to Confressi Palm Puerto Plata”

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I recently vacationed at the Confressi Palm, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, The hotel was absolutely beautiful. The room was in a building near the beach and it was spacious and immaculate. The cleaning staff kept the entire facility in tip top shape,

The restaurants were fabulous. Every night the meal was better than the one before and the chefs and cooking staff will accommodate any special request asked.They are extremely qualified and talented.

Everyday the entertainment staff was visible on the beach and by the pools keeping guests laughing and playing games. I would like to commend "Shaggy" as he was always upbeat, making guests laugh and encouraging them to participate. If he hadn't been visible everyday I probably would've sat in a chair as I typically do BUT I was so busy entering in contests and playing games that I had the BEST time! Thank you "Shaggy" for making the daytime activities and dancing and laughs!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rose S

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I don't know where to begin. Perhaps with the good. Very beautiful place to relax and spend time with the family. Now to the negatives. You will not find international alcohol here what I saw was dewars as their "good" choice. The food will give you diarrhea so please plan accordingly with pepto and imodium. 9 of my 12 Victoria secret bras were stolen and of those 3 left, i had to wear the only one I was wearing to go back home as the other two were strap less. My husband was left with no underwear' and his shaving tool. Very horrible experience and will never reccomend anyone to visit this place. When I made complaint, was told there was nothing lifestyle could do as they could not make any accusations. I guess you live and learn. Moving forward, I will not allow anyone to enter my hotel room. If I need towels I will ask for them. I will make sure to report this in a letter as well even if it's to vent.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
18  Thank amberless
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My vacation at The Confresi/Lifesyle Holiday Vacation Resort was the best! I was expecting the gorgeous beaches and a beautiful resort, which did not disappoint. Each beach had it's own vibe, and they were all beautiful and peaceful. What I wasn't expecting was the Royal Treatment by the beautiful Dominican people. And the entertainment at night was too much fun! Pedro (Scooby Doo) and Juan Carlos Salles (Shaggy) made us feel welcomed on the first night at the Welcoming Party, and continued to dance with us each night at the great parties. The night time entertainment was a blast. And the security guards (Edward Scissorhands, Gustavo and Raul) took protecting their guests to a whole new level. The bartenders and waiters (Joan Martinez and Adonis were the best) were amazing. . such kind, friendly and generous souls! And our Housekeeper Felipa Martinez and Chef (Jorge) were the best. I would have loved to have brought them back home with me! Thank you Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort for a wonderful time. We WILL be back. . .

Room Tip: The rooms vary greatly. Ask for recent photos
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Karen S
Reviewed 3 July 2014

BOTTOM LINE UP FRONT: We paid the airline a change fee of $400 to get out of here and back home two days into a 6 night vacation. Since this is a poor review, many of you will discount this report and seek glowing reviews. That behavior is called confirmation bias, and I believe it accounts for many of the “great” reviews on this site left by people that have shelled out thousands of dollars to this TIME SHARE property and really want to believe that it is a great deal. My frame of reference for this vacation is many cruises, three trips to Hawaii, and three to Europe. My basement vacation experience is the Carnival cruise out of Baltimore. Our worst cruise is light years ahead of this experience (not even comparable) and our self-guided and guided Europe and hotel only stays in Hawaii were also light years ahead of this miserable piece of H E double toothpicks on earth. Shame on Living Social for participating in this scam of a place and letting you think this is just another beach hotel resort. Sorry for the length of the review.
1. This is a TIME SHARE property. Fully, completely timeshare. The “TOUR GUIDES” are time share hustlers that work for the property and will hound you and interrupt your vacation repeatedly. And they DO NOT take no for an answer even when you tell them to leave you alone and you will never give them a dime. They will not tell you the “tour” is the time share hustle or that it is over a half day of your vacation. You know what this is people; you have “been there-done that” but this at a place that you paid for your vacation under false pretenses. If this is OK by you, then so be it.
2. Property – It is pretty; but it is non-functional and hilly. Please look at property maps and you will understand the following. This place is laid out like condo villages would be with building clusters, but they are basic hotel rooms, not self-contained units. This means that you leave your room and you are close to exactly nothing. Two choices await you: either wait in the broiling sun for a shuttle van (25 minutes if not already full) or walk in 95F temps and high humidity up elevation changes as high as 40 feet just to get to breakfast or to anything at all. And yes there is a sewage smell. The origin is right in front of you. It is an open air canal with the main sewage line there for all to see going through the middle of the property. There is gray water pooled in the canal. It smells like sewage gas, but I don’t know if it is from standing, fetid rain water or a worse source. We did not smell it inside the rooms (30231 and 30233)
3. No A/C. You will not find air conditioning on the site except for the very poor air conditioning in the room (we had to sleep 4 to a bed in our second room the first night due to inoperable A/C in room 30231 that 3 calls to management did not fix with no call backs to check on status from management). When we did get a room with “A/C” it was so weak (Rooms 30233, 30221, 30222) that we slept without cover and woke with damp sheets. The rest of the property is “Open-air”, including the restaurants. So after conquering Mt. Everest to reach the buffet, the restaurant leaves you sweating over your food. If you get overheated, tough there is just no place to really recover. So risk heat stroke or stand in line for shutlles. Sounding like a “Great” vacation so far?
4. Food and Beverage – Just really poor. It may be edible, but it is not enjoyable. And this comes from someone who went through boot camp many years ago and thought I knew what bad was. Three meals into this vacation and my family were dreading the meals. Taste is subjective to some extent so I will give you examples irrelevant to taste – salad dressing, yogurt, and juice. The ranch dressing was the consistency of milk and so watered down it would not even hold to the lettuce. The yogurt looks like melted ice cream it is so runny. We have all had juice fresh, canned, concentrate etc. and we know how each of them tastes. The juice is so watered down it barely retains the intended flavor. I have eaten around the world and have always been able to enjoy food, even when the flavor is different than expected. I could not choke down the sausage at the Italian reservation restaurant, no matter how hungry I was. This is the only place in my life where the flavor profile is so off that you just can’t enjoy your meal. The best food we had at this place was the pizza. Good crust but tasteless sauce. For the first time in my life I had to put salt on pizza (and I don’t salt food). And this is the obvious stuff. If they are willing to be so obviously cheap on the stuff right in front of you, what are they doing behind the scenes? Do you think any of this is “great” or even normal?
5. As for booze I am not a big drinker at this point of my life but if this is big to you should know that it is served in little 6 (maybe 8) oz. plastic cups that you go to a bar to get. If you are still a two fisted drinker ready to “pound two and take two” like we did when I was a sailor on shore leave, well this place might get your buzz on. Otherwise possible dehydration and downright frustration with getting realistic amounts of liquids (water or otherwise) is what awaits you.
So to wrap this up, we spent $3,600 for a family of four for airfare and this “resort” and another $400 to pull the emergency escape lever to leave two days in and spend July 4th week as a “staycation” back home. Would have been easier and less stressful to just put a torch to the money and call it a day.
Last thought – If our experience is rare, why do they have a preprinted form they try to get you to sign when you leave prior to your original departure date that states you’re leaving early has nothing to do with the property or management and is due to some personal reasons? Do you think Hilton, Marriott, or even Hotel 6 has this? Heck no they don’t.
Many of the poor reviews are very specific and detailed about why you should avoid this place. Many of the great reviews either say nothing about the property and refer to random staff names like “Speedy” or whomever and talk about how wonderful he was, or have strange language idioms and writing patterns that just don’t quite square with good old Standard English writing. Something to think about…
I am going to get some canned reply in broken English about this review I am sure – don’t care what they say – they are not changing anything, just keep the grind mills running. This place is truly awful.

Room Tip: Buildings 200 and 300 hundred series are by the sewage smell
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
23  Thank 9600fx
The Management T, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear guest,

We lament the experiences you had to go through during your stay at Cofresi Palm. We take into consideration all of our guest’s opinions and experiences as they help improve our services and facilities.

Having said this, we reassure you this feedback is taken seriously as a constructive opinion that allow us to detect errors and enhance our operations as well as other customer’s experiences.

We appreciate your observations which are treated with the utmost interest, since we believe that this is the best way to know what specific points we must focus our attention to improve in all aspects.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I have been twice to the Cofresi, within in 14 months, just went this April 2014, and going again in 11 days, love the staff, they are fantastic, the head Chef Hassan, and the waiter staff at the buffet are great, the cleaning staff, are so sweet. I went with my 85 year old parents, my mother got sick, and Franchesca, the Maid was so sweet to them, and really helped them out. Also Dawin at the Buffet, was fantastic, at preparing meals to have sent to her room. I could not have enjoyed my vacation with out. Do not listen to the bad reviews, this is a hotel where you feel like family.

Christina Miletti

Room Tip: For the price reg. rooms are great. Who spends all there time in the room anyways.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 178Christina
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Well what do i have to say....this place was amazing,...my frist time there and had a great time...the place was so big but nice...the people where very helpful and nice to you...the water was always nice and the beach was clean...i stayed mostly at the pool only because of these fantastic guys but there was only one that got my attention "SPEEDY GONZALES"...he was amazing, so funny always kept you going from dacing to playing game or just talking to you and making sure we where having a good time...he made my vaction so much more fun...i never had a doll moment when he was there....well thanks for everything when i was there...hope to see you all soon....

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Maria B

Dear guest,

We really appreciate that you took your time to write this comment, expressing how much fun you had during your stay at the Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort.
We are really happy that you liked our facilities and we will congratulate our staff,specially Speedy Gonzalez for providing a great hospitality.

Please keep in mind that we will be pleased to welcome you back.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 1 July 2014

My boyfriend and I got back from Cofresi palm beach and spa yesterday night and let me just say I was a little nervous due to mixed reviews however it was the BEST trip we have been to in Dominican republic before. We arrived early afternoon and our room was ready as soon as we checked in, we asked if we could upgrade to a suite which was available for 40 dollars a night extra, however none were available which was fine.
There are 3 options which include a regular beige wristband (Access to most things on resort except for private beaches with beds and separate areas of restaurants which were "private") honestly, not being a vip member did not really bother us!
blue wristband = most of the vip options and a gold wristband = all access to vip memberships
Anyways, our room was a standard king size Noliplus room which was beautiful! The water pressure wasn't great but we always had nice maids, hot water and a clean room. We had no issues with the sewage smell and honestly we walked by an area close by that had a little bit of a smell but the reviews made it seem WAY worse than it was!!!!!
The food was pretty good as well, the only restaurant I wouldn't recommend is The Pearl. The Brazilian steakhouse was good and Casablanca was great every night! We didn't have any issues with reservations as we were awake early and would just change any that we didn't like timing wise or place between 9-10. There is always somewhere to eat which is great.
The hotel is VERY big, there was a lot of walking which we didn't mind however some people might if they do not like walks/stairs etc. We didn't mind as we are very active.
The resort has 2 parties every week, on Thursday we had a vip welcome party which we could all go to and it was SO fun! great entertainment, music and people but the BEST party was the sunday foam/welcome party!!!!!!!!!! My boyfriend and I have never had so much fun at a resort before.
The animation crew really welcomed us while we were there, big shoutout to MICKEY, COCOLOCO, JON RAMBO, SHAGGY, SPEEDY AND ALFONSO!!!!!!!!!! You guys are awesome!! They remembered us by name everyday and always encouraged us to play games or dance merengue! These guys work hard and make your vacation as easy and fun as possible.
Use the shuttle service! It is really convenient!
We didn't have issues with timeshare people, maybe we didn't lead them on that's why but the people on the beach selling water services were great and friendly as well as the shops on the beach!
We had the option of doing the VIP tour which we did do however due to research I told them that I understand at the end of this tour you are going to try and sell us a membership but we aren't going to be interested, the memberships start at 12000. You just need to be honest with these people and they wont hassle you.
We wish we didn't have to leave but we definitely enjoyed our time. People need to realize that these people do everything they can with what they got and do not need to go somewhere if they are going to complain about everything. if anyone has any questions feel free to email me I could write novels!

RAMBO, COCOLOCO, SPEEDY AND MICKEY - APRIL AND MIKE SAY HI WE MISS YOU GUYS, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in 30222 and had a great private balcony and room! Great location of the middle of the lob...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Banu B

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort for your holidays and for taking time to post a review about your experience among us.

We would like to express you our satisfaction to acknowledge that our hotel premises, facilities, gastronomy and the excellent service provided by our friendly staff ensured you a memorable holiday as we aim in Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resorts. We have congratulated our animation crew for making your holidays special.

We will be glad to welcome you back.

Best regards,