“Is a good place!!”

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
“Is a good place!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Is a nice place, we enjoyed the different pools,The food was fine, the service was good, we met a nice guy who works there, his name is Julio Nice he made our visit more comfortable, we really enjoyed the pool with him and the games that ee did we him !!!!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Jessica B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,006)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

There is so much too say but iam going to just pick a few of my issues. Check- in was a disaster you cannot checking till 3pm. Which i think is horrible why cant i cant get my band as soon as i get there. when we started checking in we were VIP check-in Everyone needed ID, My mother in law didnt have Id so they wasnt going to let her in. I think its ridiculous because the person on the reservation should be the only one with and ID. WE finally get our rooms in building 40 and 41. I get to my room and i was missing a bed since i was traveling with my kids. I called downstairs they were giving me a hard time. Then my AC wasnt working called they said they were coming never came till the next day at night. The bathroom smell disgusting, like sewage. There were never reservations available for the restaurants always had to eat at the buffet. I dont like how they separate people with all the different bands. They try to sell you these timeshares but the service is horrible. The pools are amazing that was the best things my family and i loved.Some of the staff was very nice specially at the pearl restaurant. AT the bar Edward was amazing he always made us laugh. The VIP party was good. But they need to advertise it better. WE were a party of 20 and we try to make the best of it despite all the issues we had. I would not come back to this resort. Have been to better hotels in DR.

Room Tip: Rooms in building 40's are the newest. the rooms around building 30 smell really bad.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Maria L
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

I'm not going to write a novel. I'll just say that I have traveled to the Caribbean at least 15 times over the past 20 years. This was by far the worst experience I have ever encountered. If you choose to stay here, spend the extra money to stay in the VIP sections. It's the only way to deal with this place. It's dirty, the food is not good, the alcohol is below rail, everything is antiquated, and it is absolutely not built for children. Walking home from the beach, I get solicited by a prostitute at the back pool entrance and the hotel "security" guard was promoting her services. You've been warned.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank hmrhead1
Orange County
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We originally booked and paid upfront through Cheap Caribbean for a 7 day, 6 night stay at the Lifestyles Tropical Resort. Upon arrival, they told us there were no rooms available, but upgraded us to the Cofresi Beach Resort (although I don’t know how this is possible, since we already paid for our room, how were there no rooms available?). However, we really lucked out, because we had family staying at the Lifestyles Tropical, and heard nothing but horrible things (my cousin called it worse than a Motel 6 – mold, bugs, unprofessional and rude staff).

The room was nice, clean, air-conditioned, spacious. It had a whirlpool tub with showerhead, standing shower, and double sinks. The fridge had soda, beer and water (part of all inclusive so you didn’t have to pay). There is a safe with a lock that you can rent for $3/day. The pools were nice and plenty to choose from. The beach had straw cabanas with view and direct access to the water, which was very nice.

The food, compared to Lifestyles Tropical, was better. We didn’t like how they required reservations to eat at the sit-down restaurants, because there was no way to get in. Upon arrival, they already scheduled reservations for us through the week, dinner at 930pm. Who eats dinner at that time? We can only change reservations the morning of the same day, but no matter when or who you talked to, all the restaurants were booked. We were only able to eat at the buffets. The food is regular buffet food and nothing amazing. It was usually too salty or too sweet. I would suggest going to the welcome party on Sunday nights. They had great entertainment, amazing food, top shelf alcohol, and a fireworks show. Definitely go to the Sunday party if you can make it. They also have a “farewell” party on Thursday nights, but no food served. The service staff was good (probably because they were getting tipped), but the hotel staff was terrible.

Hotel staff was unorganized, inefficient, unfriendly and rude. My friend asked a security guard about a shuttle, and his response was “Do I look like a driver to you?” We were scheduled to check out at 3pm, but our flight wasn’t scheduled to leave until 9pm that night. They cut off our wristbands at checkout, but you would think after a weeklong stay, they would let us wander the grounds to kill time until our flight. But no. Security would not allow us and we were shuttled back and forced to wait in the lobby for 6 hrs, with them not caring at all about us once they finished with us.

For the price we paid, I think we got as much as we could ask for. But do not go here with high expectations. I was told the resort was a lot better before they changed management. We had a [relatively] good experience because we got to stay at Cofresi, but our family was miserable over at Lifestyles.

Room Tip: If you get bottom floors near the pool, the balcony has direct access to pools. Unfortunately, I don...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank izzyd121
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

My gosh...where should I start. My stay at this resort was one of the worst experience I have had. I'm so disappointed that I spent so much money on such a horrible trip. We arrived on a Sunday and the check-out/check-in area was crazy! There were no clear lines or any structure, just people everywhere. We get shuffled into the guest services to check in since we were living social customers (that was probably the best thing that happened the entire stay; being able to get out of the crowd for check-in). Everything seemed pretty decent up until then. Once we got our key and got to our room we found that we had no AC. This is with temperatures in the 100's and 100% humidity, mind you. We called the front desk and was told maintenance would be up to look at it....Fine. About 30 minutes later a guy came in, jiggled the thermostat and said it was fixed. I told him I didn't feel any cooler air, and he told me to just give it a little time and we would feel it...Fine. The other issue was that we requested double beds. We were put into a room with a King bed. So, again, we had to call the front and request an extra bed. We left to go to the beach (which closes everyday around 630-7p). Around 6p we headed back to the room to shower and get ready for the welcome party. Get back to the room and as I suspected, it was hot as H*LL!! Not only that, instead of getting us another bed, they brought us a baby's crib and left it in the room. Since we were running out of time for the event, we decided to just shower and go, then talk to the front desk once the party was over (since it was the only way to get food as all other restaurants are closed on this evening). I go to take a shower and find that we only have (1) hand towel, no wash cloths and no large dry towels. So we had to call the front desk and wait for about an hour to get towels. Now we're late for the party. Once the party was over we headed to the front desk to complain about the heat in the room and ask to be changed to a different room. The guy at the front desk told me they brought us a bed and someone had already been by to fix the AC. I told him it's not fixed and we were given a baby's crib. I then asked if he could switch us to a different room, one with AC and a double bed. I was told they didn't have any other rooms available. My friend who was with me explained that she had medical issues that could become a problem with the heat. We were again told "sorry, there are no rooms". They guy barely even looked at us when talking to us, as if he did not care....so now we're pissed. I did not believe, at sucha huge resort, that there were not rooms available...on a Sunday. Eventually we got a rolling bed put into our room for one of us to sleep on. From that point on, the trip just went down hill. They phoned us every morning around 730a to "check in" and see how we were doing. Every time we mentioned a problem, they'd say "oh you have to call maintenance for that" or "you have to talk to guest services for that". Why would you call and wake people up if you can't help fix anything. Then around 830a they would start calling to see if we wanted to "go on the tour". This was every morning. By the 2nd night we decided to take the phone off the hook, so we could get some decent sleep. It didn't help that the Hotel maid would come knocking on the door every morning around 9a to take our towels. We learned by day two to hide our towels or we wouldn't get fresh ones until sometime after 6p. Why would they take the towels and not replace them immediately. We realized they ran out of towels everyday and went door-to-door collecting them every morning. The food was bad to say the least. I lived off of salad and vinaigrette dressing the entire time. The food was just not good. My friend got sick every time she ate. At one point another guest told us about the VIP tour. We heard some of the perks and was actually a little interested (only because it was usable worldwide; we would never stay at this place again). Shortly after an employee asked if we would like to go on the tour. We told him yes and he took us to the "VIP Tour center". The guy literally sat us down and walked away. We sat there for about 15 minutes before we decided to just leave since no one spoke to us the entire time we were there. I would think that if you're trying to sell us something, you would be attentive and ready. These people, literally got you in the building and left; I guess with the hopes that one of the sales agents would handle it from there. Well, this didn't happen so just like that, they lost 2 possible sales. If i could do it all over again, I would have chose a different resort. This was by far the worst experiencing I've had in a long time. We got in on a Sunday and I was ready to leave by Monday afternoon. I would not recommend this place to anyone!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Keena S
Brooklyn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Came with family and had a blast. Food was off the hook- the pearl and Casa Blanca are hands down the best buffets. The pool next to NV beach was the best one with live music and dancing and with the best hosts- Julio Nice and Coco Loco. Parties are fantastic and if you're a VIP it truly is a dream vacation. Must go to VIP pool and beach!!!! I must say the vacation is one to remember and I also must say that Julio Nice gets a lot of that credit. He was amazing. Very interactive and engaging and always making sure we were having a great time. Thank you Julio Nice for being a part of our memory! (Nick and Melony)

• Stayed July 2014
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

We looked and read through a lot of different resorts and locations before electing the Cofresi. We stayed in the junior suite which was beautiful. Amazing deal and price from CheapCarribean and was able to get free VIP bands. The VIP beach was beautiful and we really,loved the beds. The sushi and the drinks were so delicious. If you want a bed by the water you have to wake up by 8am and lay down a shirt, towel, book etc to reserve it.

Free wifi in VIP area but didn't need phone at all because we had so much fun! Everyday we found a new pool or a new bar. The resort had roughly 10,000 guests while we were there but it felt like there was never anyone around. It was seriously perfect.

The staff was OUT OF THIS WORLD. So friendly, so nice and would bend over backwards to help and make the trip so enjoyable.

Special shout out to Micky, Shaggy, Speedy, Julio, Blacky, and Rambo. They all go out of their way to make this trip perfect and we really appreciate all they did for us. Such an amazing experience , no complaints!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher up floor for better view and less bugs. Say your celebrating something on reservati...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple