My husband and I visited Cofresi Resort (Lifestyle Vacations) from Aug 2-9, 2014. We booked through Interval World as we are time share holders in Colorado. Interval World is a partner with Lifestyle vacations. We had no idea what to expect in regards to this VIP thing. Interval World had no idea what we would get either. I sent 2 e-mails to the resort inquiring about this before our trip and got no response from Lifestyle. We did get some amenities, but not all. Disappointing for being a "partner"- would have liked to had access to additional VIP beaches and VIP restaurants. We did get a one bedroom with a separate living area and balcony on the Cofresi side overlooking the pool at the spa. The AC worked great, no issues with the room or cleanliness whatsoever. Also had lots of bottled water for us with refill stations throughout the property. And 110 plugs so no need to bring power adapters. Had no issues with towels. Always clean and replenished. We stayed in building 203 and it was very quiet. There were a few power outages. This would knock out the alarm clock and we had to manually reset it. I mention this because if you have to get up by a certain time- you may want to have a backup alarm on your watch or phone in case the power goes out in the middle of the night.
The Lifestyle time shareholders (or those vacationers who bought their vacation week/perks from members) are true VIP- gold band guest with full access to all restaurants and several beaches. As Interval World travelers, we had a blue sparkly band. We did have express check in- which was helpful after 2 full days of traveling. We were given 4 restaurant reservations with a 6:30 dinner time. (normally there would have only been 3, but the Sunday night party was cancelled due to tropical storm Bertha) So that was great that they offered guests an extra reservation night. As Interval members, we were offered a reservation for "The Jazz"- a VIP only restaurant for the night we arrived (Saturday) Unfortunately, I got sick within a few hours after our arrival- salad from the buffet- and was in bed by 8. We were unable to reschedule that dinner as it is for "Saturday only" and we were leaving the following Saturday. They were however, willing to give us another reservation for Friday night to the Brazilian restaurant which was wonderful. We did have access to one VIP beach along with other "blue banded" guests who booked through Cheap Carribean, etc. This beach did have covered cabanas, good liquor, food service and free Wi-Fi. The Wi-Fi was spotty at times and the strongest signal is right when you enter, near the sushi bar. It is true that the cabanas go quickly. We are early to bed, early to rise people so yes, the early birds get the cabanas. For us, not a problem and we stayed there all day long. We did do a tour of the property. We made it clear from the beginning we were not interested in buying/upgrading. They respected that. We did get to see the other amenities, got some great pictures of all the upscale areas, a great margarita, a small bottle of rum (each) for touring and went back to our cabana. So worth 2 hours of our time to see how the other half lives. No clue on the costs for that stuff.
The restaurants were good. Our dinner reservations were for the Blue Lagoon (seafood), El Pinon (Dominican), Aisan and Belleni (Italian) plus the additional Friday night to the Brazilian. Thursday night is a party night- they only have drinks there so eat before you go. The 2 buffets- The Pearl and the Casablanca were the same food every day. We liked Casablanca better so we ate there. On the weekends, the locals (yellow bands) are there and the Pearl was a madhouse. Didn't see locals at the Casablanca so we ate there. The Belleni is also opened for lunch (at 1230) to all guests. It was wonderful, not crowded and a well kept secret. Plus there is a nice pool there- also not crowded. The wines at the restaurants were terrible- the whites were too sweet for me, most of the reds were drinkable but very low quality. The mixed drinks were good, especially on the VIP beach.
We did two excursions and booked both of them after we arrived to the resort- the city tour and Paradise Island. Both were good. Unfortunately for Paradise Island, it was "high tide"- which they failed to mention at the time of booking. The sandbar (island) was engulfed in water and the tide was rough. So the one hour snorkeling adventure lasted about 20 minutes as the water kept coming into the mouthpiece. So that was a bummer. But the scenery was beautiful and the booze part of the trip was great! We also stopped by a cigar factory so hubby was happy and bought a box to bring home. Got lots of great pictures. The city tour was well worth it. Took a cable car to the top of the mountain for great views, visited a rum factory, jewelry store, amber museum and the downtown square. Again, great photo opportunities. The rum factory was great and you could buy rum to take home. ($10-$12 per bottle- super cheap so have room in your suitcase) We also brought back 2 smaller bottles ($5 each) for our college age kids and won parents of the year!
The other thing I was unsure of was transportation to and from the airport. We were told that Lifestyle would pick us up but we would need to arrange our own transportation back. We booked through Viator- $26.50 a person round trip. Would highly recommend them. We did have to call them the day before we left to confirm transportation back to the airport. (guest services did this for us) Viator was very efficient and professional. Lifestyle offered return rides to the airport for $50.00- not sure if that is per person or a group. But again, since no one answered my initial e-mails, I wasn't going to chance it and just figure it out when I got there. This might a different scenario for the "gold VIP people"
All in all, we had a really good time. The service was good and the people were friendly. We relaxed, read books, took long walks and naps. There was lots of entertainment if you are looking for that. We did go to the Thursday night Vegas style show which was awesome. We walked all over the property- lots of hills and stairs- fine for us. Worked off all the food and drink! Every vacation is what you make of it. Little things didn't bother us. Special kudos to Winston who was always friendly and willing to help with whatever we needed. Thank you for a great time!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort – Dominican Republic is the newest jewel in the Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club. Nestled along the Cofresi beach shores, and overlooking the sparkling Caribbean sea, this resort caters to the luxurious enjoyment of both families and couples looking for that perfect getaway. With 468 well-appointed accommodations that range from Adult Only Spa Suites, to Standard family friendly rooms located in a quite setting between the ocean beach and spectacular pool, this is a paradise worthy of the Lifestyle name. The resort was created with space and comfort in mind, making Cofresi Palm a relaxing, enjoyable and satisfying experience for all guests and their families. All rooms have air conditioning, cable television, phones, and ceiling fans, while the decor has a distinctive design, featuring dark wood furnishings. Shaded patios and verandas provide a relaxing place to gather in some of the units. Providing both service and features that are standard for a Lifestyle property, the Cofresi Palm offers a unique luxury accommodations experience. Cofresi Palm provides the easy, relaxed ambiance of the Caribbean in an opulent and elegant setting. Experience the array of beauty and excitement that Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Stayforlong S.L., LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sun Village Puerto Plata
- Sun Village Hotel Cofresi
- Dominican Republic Sun Village
- Sun Village Dominican Republic
- Sun Village Spa
- Sun Village Resort Dominican Republic
- Sun Village Resort Puerto Plata
- Sun Village Beach Resort
- Sun Village Resort Spa Puerto Plata
- Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata