“Excellent resort with outstanding staff!”

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 9 January 2011

Before I start writing my review, I find it necessary to provide you with some background information about me, because people and their expectations are very different, most times depending on their origin, environment and travel habits.
I am originally from Austria, and moved to the Caribbean four years ago, where I lived in Barbados for a few months, and then moved to Grenada, where I live for over three years now. Before I moved down here, I was traveling 3-4 times a year, most of it overseas (Caribbean, Central America), and I have been to the Dominican Republic several times already. I have spent vacations in Punta Cana, Samana and Bayahibe, stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels, so I believe I have some experience with the all inclusive resorts in this country. I also spent a lot of time in Cuba and other smaller Caribbean islands, made my experiences with both, luxury resorts and really simple establishments (Casa Particulares, guest houses etc.).
Having said all that, and living a quite simple life now, I know to appreciate a good hotel with all the luxury amenities, but more than that, I do appreciate and honor hard working and friendly staff, going out of their way to make the guests happy and their stay most enjoyable.
Prior to booking the Be Live Carey, I was looking for a nice, clean, quiet and rather smaller 4 to 5 star hotel, which also doesn’t cost a fortune. Eventually I stumbled over the Be Live Grand Ambar, that’s how it was called before the opening (it’s still this name, but from what I found out, only for Nolitours Canada guests, which is a separate section of rooms). I travelled from Dec. 15 – 30, together with my 14 year old daughter, “single with child”, which is always a challenge to find affordable resorts. I paid EUR 850.00 (USD 1,100) for the two weeks for my daughter and me, in a “low-cost standard room”, for the room and all inclusive (flight was separate). The price, and you will agree, was not to beat, not for a brand new 4 or 5 star resort in the main season. We booked with a German tour operator, which I find, is always cheaper than any of the international travel websites you find on the web. I am a quite experienced “booker”, so I do know where to book to get the best price ;)
Before the Be Live Carey we stayed 4 days at the Be Live Hamaca in Boca Chica, and I will upload a separate review for that hotel shortly.
Since I booked flight and hotel separately and on my own, we didn’t have a transfer, so, coming from the south (Boca Chica/Santo Domingo), we just took the Caribe Tours bus from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata, which was cheap and no problem at all. Their buses are air conditioned (well, too much to be honest), and the one-way trip cost RD$ 330 per person (~ USD 9) and took 4 hours. We arrived in the afternoon, and since it was only one day after the resort was officially opened, we obviously were the first guests to arrive! Once we stepped into the lobby, two employees walked over and greeted us with our first names! I was surprised because I didn’t say a word yet, but then they said we were the first guests so they knew ;) Then we got a welcome cocktail, shortly after we got our room keycards and then we were directed to our room by the manager on duty himself. I really must add how extremely friendly and welcoming everybody was, we immediately felt home there, even though the weather was not that good, rainy and quite cold.
Our room was #30404, it was a standard room right below the main pool area, close to lobby and restaurants, and was one of the renovated ones. It was not big, but beds and furniture was new, the mattresses were the best ones I have slept in for years (and brand new too!), there was a flatscreen TV, phone, an ottoman, a desk with chair, and the bathroom was nice too with new sinks. I believe the toilet was new, but the bathtub/shower was only refurbished. There was also a huge balcony with two chairs and a table (not the cheapie, but nice ones!). Everything was extremely clean, of very good quality and I was very happy with our room, even though the dresser could have been more spacious. We also had a safe (we had to pay for it, I think it was USD 3 per day) and a fridge, stocked with two beers, two sodas (coke & sprite) and two bottles of water. What was a nice feature, we found a bottle of Spanish sparkling wine in a champagne cooler with ice, together with nice champagne glasses and some type of “hors d’oeuvres” on arrival. Not sure if this was only because we were the first guests, but it was very nice.
The tiles in the bedroom and bathroom seemed to be new as well, and in general, I have to say, the room was more than ok for the star rating, and to know we were sleeping on a thick, brand new pillow top mattress, covered with brand new, warm and fluffy duvet felt so great!
I have to emphasize again on the extremely friendly and helpful staff, throughout the resort and the whole stay, there was not only one single person who did not treat us like queens! I have to add though that I speak Spanish, so maybe that helped, but in general, I am simply friendly and polite to everyone and that only earned me friendliness back. For me, this was by far the best staff I ever experienced in a hotel in the DR. Starting from the receptionist, the waiters at the bars and restaurants, and then the animation team, outstanding, all of them very well trained, working very professional, and always so nice and friendly. I remembered all their names after only a few days, and I always greeted them by name, which earned me additional smiles ?
Resort in general
The resort might seem not that lush and full of plants like other resorts I have visited, but due to the elevated location, there was a lot of tiling (natural stones), and also a lot of stairs, which makes it not so suitable for people who have problems walking a lot.
There is a huge lobby with reception area, an internet room (internet use was free while we were there since they didn’t manage to install the Wi-Fi for the rooms as yet), one shop (two more shops were about to open), then the Teatro for the shows with the Cocktail bar, open in the evenings.
Close to the lobby there was also the main pool with pool bar and additional “grotto bar” within the pool (was only open the last few days while we were there), the disco, the Brazilian a-la carte and a bit further down the steps the Buffet restaurant and the Asian restaurant with attached “Gourmet Bar”.
Further down there was another pool area with waterfall, the kids pool and close to it, the Kids Club, again further down a few more steps another pool (very quiet) with separate pool bar (wasn’t open during the time we were there).
Directly at the beach, and close to the new junior suite buildings there were another two pools with pool bar, the Mexican restaurant and the snack bar. Also at the beach side was the watersports office, and two more shops which were not opened yet, one of them to be the Ice Cream Parlor.
For people who didn’t want to walk you can just call the reception to be picked up by one of the many golf carts. Really wasn’t a problem at all for us but it was quite some walking, especially ones we were moved to the beach side junior suite building:

On our second evening, we had suddenly HOT water coming down from the ceiling and from the air condition unit, the room was flooded within a few minutes. I was quite shocked but managed to call the reception and they sent three people within a very short time, I was stunned how quick they reacted.
They immediately told us to pack our stuff, and told us we were moved to one of the brand new junior suites at the beach! I was very surprised how quick and nice they reacted, especially after we did the tour with one of the Lifestyle Vacation Club guys and saw one of these junior suites.
We hopped onto a golf cart after packing our bags, and were brought to our new room, which was AMAZING! Huge room, bright and contemporary furniture and tiling, king-size bed, huge bathroom with double sink, shower room for at least 4 people LOL, separate toilet, and the best of all, huge Jacuzzi, dividing bathroom area and bedroom! No wall! Please also have a look at my pictures.
The color scheme was white and orange, with nice stone-like tiling in the bathroom. All together, very very nice! We got another bottle of sparkling wine and hors d’oeuvres, as apology for the “inconvenience of moving” LOL – well how could we complain?? Now we were almost directly on the beach, the only slight drawback was that we had longer ways to the restaurants near the lobby, but again, nothing to complain since we got a free upgrade for the remaining 12 days!

FOOD
We ate at all the restaurants (Buffet, Asian, Brazilian, Mexican, Snack Bar) and it was always excellent, of very good quality, variety was good, service outstanding. I don’t know what other guests say, but I was expecting way less than that and I was more than satisfied. If I had to say which food I liked least, it was the Asian. Breakfast was very good too, especially the first days when it was a-la carte and only at the Mexican restaurant due to the low guest number. Brazilian was my favorite, the meat was awesome, cooked perfectly and very tasty, and the additional salad/starter buffet very good as well.
I can’t say anything negative at all about the food! I loved it and put on some weight… ;)

At the buffet restaurants you can get 24hours snacks, so you can always get fries, burgers, sandwiches, salad and pizza all night long, which is nice after being in the disco and shaking legs LOL

BEACH
Well, I knew in advance that the beaches in the north are nothing compared to Punta Cana, Samana or Bayahibe, and I didn’t book this resort because of the beach anyways. It is rather dark, rough sand, the sea is rather brownish and the water was quite cold as well due to the season. But, I live on an island with beautiful Punta-Cana-like beaches, so I was OK with that and spent most of the time at the main pool, which was quiet and exactly what I was looking for. The beach was great for activities though, and the animation team had always something going on. I played Beachvollyeball most of the days, which was at 11am and 4pm every day except when it was raining.
You can walk down the beach a bit, but not like Punta Cana, so if you expect a mile-long beach, you will be disappointed. Also, if you expect warm and turquoise water, go to Punta Cana, because in the north you will not find such beaches. The sea was quite rough most of the days as well, due to the winter season, and my daughter found it very disappointing that they didn’t have any surfboards, because to me it seemed to be a perfect surf spot! Many waves, rolling in gently to the shore, my daughter was really craving for a surfboard LOL
STAFF
Once more, outstanding people, working extremely hard for the little money, always smiling, greeting you by your name after a few days, very professional, great service.
Roxanna, Merlyn, Jose, Jose (two of them), Rudolfo, Kenny, Gabriel, Daniel, Marcellino, Inocencio, Marcus, Leonel etc. – all of you were just great, please don’t change!!

ANIMATION
Wow, what to say. I am normally NOT the animation type person, I never participate in the games, but this time I just had to, they were such great people, and even though sometimes the jokes of Tony Montana (LOL) were getting on my nerves ;) I really loved all of them, they are all working so hard, trying to make every day an unforgettable experience for the guests. Lorenzo and his team, Tony (alias Wilfin), Machello (alias Luis), Ronaldinho (alias Belguis), Rolando, Jorge and Jenny, you were all simply GREAT!
Keep in mind that these people work seven days a week, from early morning until midnight, please honor them not only with tips but some “Thank You’s” and smiles now and then, they will appreciate it and make your stay a memorable one.

The evening shows started at 9:30pm and most of them were really good, some of them the usual games with guests which were OK. Best of all was the Michael Jackson show with a separate dance group who performed there a few times. Don’t miss that show!
One night the animation crew did a show as well, a comedian show, which was fun as well, even though not as professional as the shows of the dance crew, but again, keep in mind they are working very hard and the effort they all put into these shows is amazing.

I apologize for this long review, I hope I could give you an overview, and if you still have questions, feel free to send me a message.
I can only emphasize again what an amazing time we had there, and if we can still afford it we will definitely go back there. Number one reason is the amazing staff, no doubt.

A last note about the Lifestyle Vacation Club:
Yes, the whole resort is part of a Timesharing company, the Lifestyle Resorts, and there are many guys at the BeLive Carey, waiting to show you their product. We did the tour through the whole resort with them on our second day, and it was very informative. Their “VIP” villas, presidential suites, restaurants, beach/pool areas etc. are of outstanding quality, but yet, I didn’t find the price for the package appealing to me, so we took the tour, but of course, never got back to them with a purchase on mind. They never bothered us again though, because we simply told them we did the tour already and weren’t interested. Done. Yes, I have seen some of them being quite “sticky” to other guests, but as for us, I didn’t have a problem with them, because even though they new we wouldn’t buy in, they were still greeting us politely every day. So what? You don’t want it, tell them, and they won’t bother you.
Please also keep in mind that the hotel just opened, so there might be some issues still to be fixed, but for me there was never an issue too big to be worth complaining about. Also, for the low price I paid, I was more than satisfied with my choice.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
15  Thank Estela1974
There are newer reviews for Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort

Reviewed 7 January 2011

I love this resort!! The food was awesome. The buffet had a different theme every night..and lots of desserts. The asian restaurant didnt have many items on the menu so we just walked out.. Our room was not one of the new or renovated ones but, it was beautiful. There are some standard rooms that werent so nice (cracked tiles & very small) but I dont think anyone was given those rooms since the resort wasnt full.
The staff is extremely friendly & helpful even with the language barrier. The front desk could have been a bit more helpful at times but the waiters/waitresses were amazing. They have not figured out the reservation process for the a la carte restauran,t so double and even triple check your reservation.
This resort is NOT for anyone with mobility problems...there are ALOT of stairs!! The good thing about this is that even though I ate so much I only put on 1 lb. We have a 7month old and a 3 year old & the stroller was a pain to get around with. There are golf carts, but the wait for one can be very long especially if its raining.
The beach is beautiful, not huge, but big enough.
There is internet available. But it was very slow and sometimes a wait to get on a terminal. There is not Wifi !!! When I asked about this I was told that they were working on it but no one knew when it would be available. The hot water was not very hot later on in the day, but in the morning it was fine. The satellite signal for the TV shut down often. In one of our rooms the air conditioner wasnt working but it was fixed quickly. The phone in one of the rooms didnt work the whole time that we were there.
We had a great time. I would go back but not until we wont be using the stroller. Beautiful resort, friendly people and good food what more can you ask for?

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
6  Thank SabeenaC
Reviewed 3 January 2011

The hotel is up and running. I would say that it is not at its full occupancy yet and as a result many of the bars were not manned. From what we could see, not a lot of renovations have been done on the rooms that are not new. There were issues with the showers, water pressure, sinks and telephones in the rooms that we stayed in.

Rooms:
After taking a peek at the new rooms, I must say they look very nice, but from what we could see they were only the high-end suite rooms. Another drawback to the hotel and rooms is that it can be very noisy at night. In particular our group of rooms in blocks 201 and 202 have a service entrance that they open out into and there are car alarms, trucks and buses that pass by late at night and early in the morning.

Staff and Food:
Good things are the staff who are very very friendly. In addition the food was delicious. None of us have stayed at other hotels in DR, but compared to Cuba it was much much better. We had lobster, lamb, steak, lots of seafood, and King Shrimp. Delicious.

They have not figured out reservations for their restaurants however, and there were a few nights where we waited over an hour to get a table after repeatedly told it would be ready in 20 minutes. The Brazilian and Mexican restaurants were both delicious, while we were very disappointed by the Asian food (partly becasue we know good Asian food from Toronto).

The restaurants were open for most of the days that we were there, but only a few at a time. From the first day we were there to the last, many more people came in so I expect the restaurants will be open more regularly here on out. As for the bars, I think it will depend on demand. While we were there, not many people were swimming in the pools, as a result only one of the pool bars, the beach bar and the bar by the buffet were open regularly. I hope this changes with a higher influx of people.

Entertainment:
There were Karoke nights in the many entertainment area. There was entertainment every night, with one night a Beach Party night which was pretty fun. There is a disco which is pretty tiny, but it was a lot of fun with a lot of fun songs being played. The entertainment during the day was scarce, although they had a list of activities, I did not see a lot of them being organized on the beach. Volleyball did happen regularly. The waves were too big for non-motorized boating activities. We were able to snorkel and there's a nice little reef near the hotel where you'll see lots of fish. It is fairly shallow though so you'll have to watch your legs in order not to scratch yourself up.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
8  Thank WaterfallJ
Reviewed 2 January 2011

We arrived two days after the hotel opened. Over all our stay was good check-in went smooth we got our room very quick. We were a little nervis because our trip was planned for 2 weeks and the day after arrival there were only about 40 people on the whole resort. This turned out to be a good thing because we had the whole beach and all of its amenities to our-self, none the less by the third day the resort started to fill up.

The grounds and pools were very-well maintained. There were landscapers out almost every morning to keep the gardens and beach looking very good.

The room was very simple and clean, the shower fosit could of been better but that was not a big deal. Our room was outfitted with brand new pillows, linens and mattress, this was a bounus.

There are 3 al a carts (Mexican,Brazilian,Asian), 1 lunch snack bar, 1 main buffet. Food was very-good, 5 star quality. Great job their. Some wait-staff had a hard time with english or understanding proper order but help was always there for them.

Nightly entertainment was very low buddget however the whole entertainment staff was the hardest working group I have ever seen. They put in 100% effort, 100% of the time that was aperent to all guests that we spoke to. This includes daily beach activities aswell. Timeshare sales-people will try to sell various packages and take up your holiday time, if this is not what you are looking for just say "NO"

Overall we enjoyed our stay and highly recommend the Be Live Carey to anyone who wants 4-5 star quality at a very affordible price. Great job entire Be Live Staff!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
9  Thank BEACHBUM10155019
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Room Tip: las habitaciones cerca del lobby tienen mejor ubicacion porque estan cerca de las piscinas y restaur...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Ivette J
The Management T, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Reviewed 1 August 2017

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank stephane457
The Management T, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2017

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
The Management T, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017