“Excellent resort !”

Hamilton, Canada
“Excellent resort !”
Reviewed 18 January 2011

Hi all!
I completely agree with the previous reviews. Thank you to Estela1974!
We came from a wonderful vacation to Puerta Plata a week ago. The Be Live Grand Ambar/Carey resort is really beautiful, well-managed and attractive. Staff is very friendly, supportive and they do their best. The food was perfect, as well as disco, intertainment, beer (Presidente) and everything you will ask for or about. There is no noise or any ongoing construction. There are many activities, competitions, sport and dancing classes on the beach. People have a lot of fun and enjoy their vacation. I highly recommend it. I am going to post some pictures of it soon.

2 Thank ZerS

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,020)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Carterton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2011

stayed here in 2007 when it was sun village as its now be live grand ambar or carey. was blown away from the minute we arrived- reception with the water cascading down the walls, all the breathtaking pools & the layout so no-one was huddled in the same spot. the only let down was too much fried food which catered mainly to the large amount of american visitors.
jeep safari was great fun as was a trip to ocean world- don't bother with the dolphins as too expensive but sealions hysterically funny to see

• Stayed February 2010
1 Thank woofull
TO CANADA
Reviewed 16 January 2011

very nice resort everything was great

i went there with my 4 yrs old daughter

great food great beach and great animation crew never boring

ad the dolphins around the corner and its a great vacation

2 Thank andy667787765
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 14 January 2011

Our group of friends and family (ages 3 - 43) just returned from a week at the Be Live Carey. We travel quite often and I will be honest and say that Puerto Plata was not high on my list of places to visit especially after reading things on TA. In a word, I was completely wrong and was glad to have visited POP. The people, the scenery, the beaches are as beautiful as anywhere we have been.

The resort itself was a bit of a gamble. Usually, like most TA addicts I research our vacations to a point bordering on insanity (my wife would say I crossed that point long ago!). Months of research pouring over reviews, reading between the lines and checking every resource possible results in a well educated decision on where to vacation.

Our trip to Be Live was almost a spur of the moment decision, I was living dangerously... with no recent reviews to go by we choose the resort based solely on old reviews, promotional material from the resort itself (they're always honest...aren't they!?) and a gut feeling.

After weeks of night sweats and anxiety I can say this was one of the best vacation choices I've made. Was it perfect? No, but then perfection is a pretty subjective concept.
As other guests have commented the resort itself is stunning. A lush, tropical feel is pervasive throughout the property. Groundskeepers work tirelessly to maintain and expand the beauty. Multiple levels create many distinct areas each defined by its own pool. The pools themselves were clean and inviting. The only negative was the pool signs...they all (even the kids pool) say 'adults only' which caused some problems for our children. There are 2 adult only pools, one at the spa and the second level pool with waterfalls. The old signage was being replaced while we were there so l assume they will be fixing the pool signs as well.

We had one of the new garden view suites directly by the beach pool. The room was large with modern, clean lines. The bathroom had a large jacuzzi tub, separate walk-in shower and separate toilet area. The bathroom floors and ceiling were fully tiled and quite beautiful. As I said the decor in the room was modern and may not appeal to everyone. There were a couple of issues with the room. We were missing a garbage can and chairs for the balcony but these were resolved quickly. The towel bars in all the rooms seem to have come off and I am sure this will be resolved with a different bracket. And our mini fridge was finicky. If little things like this ruin your vacation then you should probably stay home and enjoy re-runs of Martha Stewart.

The food at the resort was good. I think we were spoiled by our cruise last year or else I would probably rate it higher. Our daughter did have a bit of a challenge finding things to eat but then she has a challenge eating at home! The Brazilian restaurant was excellent. They bring a selection of 10-11 different meats on a skewer. At first you think they are skimping on the quantity but as the meal progresses and your waist expands you realize the portions are just about perfect.

I didn't see a lot of the shows. The one show we did go to was a magician and it was a lot of fun...well at least I think it was...a few too many pina coladas, mama wannas, and a large shot of 151 proof meant that I was the 'guy' that gets dragged on stage and is fodder for the magician. Other members of our group went to some of the other shows and while entertaining there is room for improvement. Based upon the efforts of the staff, I am sure with time the shows will be very good.

I've read many reviews about the beach most describing it as 'natural' and how it doesn't compare to the white sand of Punta Cana. Is it white sand, no. Is the water crystal clear, no. Having said this, the beach is as beautiful as any I have seen (Bahamas, Mexico, Florida, even the beaches on Georgian Bay) The surf crashes on the point of land to the right of the resort and the ocean is multiple shades of blue. There are areas to the far left that are calm and great for kids to explore and find shells. The waves roll in in varying degrees of strength allowing for boogie boarding and great swimming. A nice coral reef is about 30 ft off shore and the water visibility was much better than I thought it would be. There aren't a ton of fish but they are there and I enjoyed snorkeling everyday.

Overall, our vacation was phenomenal. The resort staff are incredibly friendly and I would often see the same servers at 7 am as I would at 10:30 pm meaning they work long hours and are still able to smile at the fat tourists. If there is a negative, then it would be the 'vacation club' people who are in white shirts. just like 'drugs' just say 'no' and they shouldn't bother you too much. As the week progressed everything improved (good to great) which indicates the staff is continually working to make the Be Live Carey one of the best resorts in POP.

I'll make a comment on Puerto Plata in general. The area is absolutely beautiful. Mountains, ocean and jungles provide a lush backdrop to your vacation. The city is a working port city but is quite clean and I felt as safe or safer here than any of the other cities I have visited including North American cities.

If all you want is an AI and white sand beaches then go to Punta Cana but if you want an awesome vacation with an endless array of excursions( I'll review some separately) and a chance to experience the 'real' Dominican Republic then go to Puerto Plata and the Be Live Carey.

7 Thank Andrew W
Grenada
Reviewed 9 January 2011

Before I start writing my review, I find it necessary to provide you with some background information about me, because people and their expectations are very different, most times depending on their origin, environment and travel habits.
I am originally from Austria, and moved to the Caribbean four years ago, where I lived in Barbados for a few months, and then moved to Grenada, where I live for over three years now. Before I moved down here, I was traveling 3-4 times a year, most of it overseas (Caribbean, Central America), and I have been to the Dominican Republic several times already. I have spent vacations in Punta Cana, Samana and Bayahibe, stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels, so I believe I have some experience with the all inclusive resorts in this country. I also spent a lot of time in Cuba and other smaller Caribbean islands, made my experiences with both, luxury resorts and really simple establishments (Casa Particulares, guest houses etc.).
Having said all that, and living a quite simple life now, I know to appreciate a good hotel with all the luxury amenities, but more than that, I do appreciate and honor hard working and friendly staff, going out of their way to make the guests happy and their stay most enjoyable.
Prior to booking the Be Live Carey, I was looking for a nice, clean, quiet and rather smaller 4 to 5 star hotel, which also doesn’t cost a fortune. Eventually I stumbled over the Be Live Grand Ambar, that’s how it was called before the opening (it’s still this name, but from what I found out, only for Nolitours Canada guests, which is a separate section of rooms). I travelled from Dec. 15 – 30, together with my 14 year old daughter, “single with child”, which is always a challenge to find affordable resorts. I paid EUR 850.00 (USD 1,100) for the two weeks for my daughter and me, in a “low-cost standard room”, for the room and all inclusive (flight was separate). The price, and you will agree, was not to beat, not for a brand new 4 or 5 star resort in the main season. We booked with a German tour operator, which I find, is always cheaper than any of the international travel websites you find on the web. I am a quite experienced “booker”, so I do know where to book to get the best price ;)
Before the Be Live Carey we stayed 4 days at the Be Live Hamaca in Boca Chica, and I will upload a separate review for that hotel shortly.
Since I booked flight and hotel separately and on my own, we didn’t have a transfer, so, coming from the south (Boca Chica/Santo Domingo), we just took the Caribe Tours bus from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata, which was cheap and no problem at all. Their buses are air conditioned (well, too much to be honest), and the one-way trip cost RD$ 330 per person (~ USD 9) and took 4 hours. We arrived in the afternoon, and since it was only one day after the resort was officially opened, we obviously were the first guests to arrive! Once we stepped into the lobby, two employees walked over and greeted us with our first names! I was surprised because I didn’t say a word yet, but then they said we were the first guests so they knew ;) Then we got a welcome cocktail, shortly after we got our room keycards and then we were directed to our room by the manager on duty himself. I really must add how extremely friendly and welcoming everybody was, we immediately felt home there, even though the weather was not that good, rainy and quite cold.
Our room was #30404, it was a standard room right below the main pool area, close to lobby and restaurants, and was one of the renovated ones. It was not big, but beds and furniture was new, the mattresses were the best ones I have slept in for years (and brand new too!), there was a flatscreen TV, phone, an ottoman, a desk with chair, and the bathroom was nice too with new sinks. I believe the toilet was new, but the bathtub/shower was only refurbished. There was also a huge balcony with two chairs and a table (not the cheapie, but nice ones!). Everything was extremely clean, of very good quality and I was very happy with our room, even though the dresser could have been more spacious. We also had a safe (we had to pay for it, I think it was USD 3 per day) and a fridge, stocked with two beers, two sodas (coke & sprite) and two bottles of water. What was a nice feature, we found a bottle of Spanish sparkling wine in a champagne cooler with ice, together with nice champagne glasses and some type of “hors d’oeuvres” on arrival. Not sure if this was only because we were the first guests, but it was very nice.
The tiles in the bedroom and bathroom seemed to be new as well, and in general, I have to say, the room was more than ok for the star rating, and to know we were sleeping on a thick, brand new pillow top mattress, covered with brand new, warm and fluffy duvet felt so great!
I have to emphasize again on the extremely friendly and helpful staff, throughout the resort and the whole stay, there was not only one single person who did not treat us like queens! I have to add though that I speak Spanish, so maybe that helped, but in general, I am simply friendly and polite to everyone and that only earned me friendliness back. For me, this was by far the best staff I ever experienced in a hotel in the DR. Starting from the receptionist, the waiters at the bars and restaurants, and then the animation team, outstanding, all of them very well trained, working very professional, and always so nice and friendly. I remembered all their names after only a few days, and I always greeted them by name, which earned me additional smiles ?
Resort in general
The resort might seem not that lush and full of plants like other resorts I have visited, but due to the elevated location, there was a lot of tiling (natural stones), and also a lot of stairs, which makes it not so suitable for people who have problems walking a lot.
There is a huge lobby with reception area, an internet room (internet use was free while we were there since they didn’t manage to install the Wi-Fi for the rooms as yet), one shop (two more shops were about to open), then the Teatro for the shows with the Cocktail bar, open in the evenings.
Close to the lobby there was also the main pool with pool bar and additional “grotto bar” within the pool (was only open the last few days while we were there), the disco, the Brazilian a-la carte and a bit further down the steps the Buffet restaurant and the Asian restaurant with attached “Gourmet Bar”.
Further down there was another pool area with waterfall, the kids pool and close to it, the Kids Club, again further down a few more steps another pool (very quiet) with separate pool bar (wasn’t open during the time we were there).
Directly at the beach, and close to the new junior suite buildings there were another two pools with pool bar, the Mexican restaurant and the snack bar. Also at the beach side was the watersports office, and two more shops which were not opened yet, one of them to be the Ice Cream Parlor.
For people who didn’t want to walk you can just call the reception to be picked up by one of the many golf carts. Really wasn’t a problem at all for us but it was quite some walking, especially ones we were moved to the beach side junior suite building:

On our second evening, we had suddenly HOT water coming down from the ceiling and from the air condition unit, the room was flooded within a few minutes. I was quite shocked but managed to call the reception and they sent three people within a very short time, I was stunned how quick they reacted.
They immediately told us to pack our stuff, and told us we were moved to one of the brand new junior suites at the beach! I was very surprised how quick and nice they reacted, especially after we did the tour with one of the Lifestyle Vacation Club guys and saw one of these junior suites.
We hopped onto a golf cart after packing our bags, and were brought to our new room, which was AMAZING! Huge room, bright and contemporary furniture and tiling, king-size bed, huge bathroom with double sink, shower room for at least 4 people LOL, separate toilet, and the best of all, huge Jacuzzi, dividing bathroom area and bedroom! No wall! Please also have a look at my pictures.
The color scheme was white and orange, with nice stone-like tiling in the bathroom. All together, very very nice! We got another bottle of sparkling wine and hors d’oeuvres, as apology for the “inconvenience of moving” LOL – well how could we complain?? Now we were almost directly on the beach, the only slight drawback was that we had longer ways to the restaurants near the lobby, but again, nothing to complain since we got a free upgrade for the remaining 12 days!

FOOD
We ate at all the restaurants (Buffet, Asian, Brazilian, Mexican, Snack Bar) and it was always excellent, of very good quality, variety was good, service outstanding. I don’t know what other guests say, but I was expecting way less than that and I was more than satisfied. If I had to say which food I liked least, it was the Asian. Breakfast was very good too, especially the first days when it was a-la carte and only at the Mexican restaurant due to the low guest number. Brazilian was my favorite, the meat was awesome, cooked perfectly and very tasty, and the additional salad/starter buffet very good as well.
I can’t say anything negative at all about the food! I loved it and put on some weight… ;)

At the buffet restaurants you can get 24hours snacks, so you can always get fries, burgers, sandwiches, salad and pizza all night long, which is nice after being in the disco and shaking legs LOL

BEACH
Well, I knew in advance that the beaches in the north are nothing compared to Punta Cana, Samana or Bayahibe, and I didn’t book this resort because of the beach anyways. It is rather dark, rough sand, the sea is rather brownish and the water was quite cold as well due to the season. But, I live on an island with beautiful Punta-Cana-like beaches, so I was OK with that and spent most of the time at the main pool, which was quiet and exactly what I was looking for. The beach was great for activities though, and the animation team had always something going on. I played Beachvollyeball most of the days, which was at 11am and 4pm every day except when it was raining.
You can walk down the beach a bit, but not like Punta Cana, so if you expect a mile-long beach, you will be disappointed. Also, if you expect warm and turquoise water, go to Punta Cana, because in the north you will not find such beaches. The sea was quite rough most of the days as well, due to the winter season, and my daughter found it very disappointing that they didn’t have any surfboards, because to me it seemed to be a perfect surf spot! Many waves, rolling in gently to the shore, my daughter was really craving for a surfboard LOL
STAFF
Once more, outstanding people, working extremely hard for the little money, always smiling, greeting you by your name after a few days, very professional, great service.
Roxanna, Merlyn, Jose, Jose (two of them), Rudolfo, Kenny, Gabriel, Daniel, Marcellino, Inocencio, Marcus, Leonel etc. – all of you were just great, please don’t change!!

ANIMATION
Wow, what to say. I am normally NOT the animation type person, I never participate in the games, but this time I just had to, they were such great people, and even though sometimes the jokes of Tony Montana (LOL) were getting on my nerves ;) I really loved all of them, they are all working so hard, trying to make every day an unforgettable experience for the guests. Lorenzo and his team, Tony (alias Wilfin), Machello (alias Luis), Ronaldinho (alias Belguis), Rolando, Jorge and Jenny, you were all simply GREAT!
Keep in mind that these people work seven days a week, from early morning until midnight, please honor them not only with tips but some “Thank You’s” and smiles now and then, they will appreciate it and make your stay a memorable one.

The evening shows started at 9:30pm and most of them were really good, some of them the usual games with guests which were OK. Best of all was the Michael Jackson show with a separate dance group who performed there a few times. Don’t miss that show!
One night the animation crew did a show as well, a comedian show, which was fun as well, even though not as professional as the shows of the dance crew, but again, keep in mind they are working very hard and the effort they all put into these shows is amazing.

I apologize for this long review, I hope I could give you an overview, and if you still have questions, feel free to send me a message.
I can only emphasize again what an amazing time we had there, and if we can still afford it we will definitely go back there. Number one reason is the amazing staff, no doubt.

A last note about the Lifestyle Vacation Club:
Yes, the whole resort is part of a Timesharing company, the Lifestyle Resorts, and there are many guys at the BeLive Carey, waiting to show you their product. We did the tour through the whole resort with them on our second day, and it was very informative. Their “VIP” villas, presidential suites, restaurants, beach/pool areas etc. are of outstanding quality, but yet, I didn’t find the price for the package appealing to me, so we took the tour, but of course, never got back to them with a purchase on mind. They never bothered us again though, because we simply told them we did the tour already and weren’t interested. Done. Yes, I have seen some of them being quite “sticky” to other guests, but as for us, I didn’t have a problem with them, because even though they new we wouldn’t buy in, they were still greeting us politely every day. So what? You don’t want it, tell them, and they won’t bother you.
Please also keep in mind that the hotel just opened, so there might be some issues still to be fixed, but for me there was never an issue too big to be worth complaining about. Also, for the low price I paid, I was more than satisfied with my choice.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
15 Thank Estela1974
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2011

I love this resort!! The food was awesome. The buffet had a different theme every night..and lots of desserts. The asian restaurant didnt have many items on the menu so we just walked out.. Our room was not one of the new or renovated ones but, it was beautiful. There are some standard rooms that werent so nice (cracked tiles & very small) but I dont think anyone was given those rooms since the resort wasnt full.
The staff is extremely friendly & helpful even with the language barrier. The front desk could have been a bit more helpful at times but the waiters/waitresses were amazing. They have not figured out the reservation process for the a la carte restauran,t so double and even triple check your reservation.
This resort is NOT for anyone with mobility problems...there are ALOT of stairs!! The good thing about this is that even though I ate so much I only put on 1 lb. We have a 7month old and a 3 year old & the stroller was a pain to get around with. There are golf carts, but the wait for one can be very long especially if its raining.
The beach is beautiful, not huge, but big enough.
There is internet available. But it was very slow and sometimes a wait to get on a terminal. There is not Wifi !!! When I asked about this I was told that they were working on it but no one knew when it would be available. The hot water was not very hot later on in the day, but in the morning it was fine. The satellite signal for the TV shut down often. In one of our rooms the air conditioner wasnt working but it was fixed quickly. The phone in one of the rooms didnt work the whole time that we were there.
We had a great time. I would go back but not until we wont be using the stroller. Beautiful resort, friendly people and good food what more can you ask for?

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank SabeenaC
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 January 2011

The hotel is up and running. I would say that it is not at its full occupancy yet and as a result many of the bars were not manned. From what we could see, not a lot of renovations have been done on the rooms that are not new. There were issues with the showers, water pressure, sinks and telephones in the rooms that we stayed in.

Rooms:
After taking a peek at the new rooms, I must say they look very nice, but from what we could see they were only the high-end suite rooms. Another drawback to the hotel and rooms is that it can be very noisy at night. In particular our group of rooms in blocks 201 and 202 have a service entrance that they open out into and there are car alarms, trucks and buses that pass by late at night and early in the morning.

Staff and Food:
Good things are the staff who are very very friendly. In addition the food was delicious. None of us have stayed at other hotels in DR, but compared to Cuba it was much much better. We had lobster, lamb, steak, lots of seafood, and King Shrimp. Delicious.

They have not figured out reservations for their restaurants however, and there were a few nights where we waited over an hour to get a table after repeatedly told it would be ready in 20 minutes. The Brazilian and Mexican restaurants were both delicious, while we were very disappointed by the Asian food (partly becasue we know good Asian food from Toronto).

The restaurants were open for most of the days that we were there, but only a few at a time. From the first day we were there to the last, many more people came in so I expect the restaurants will be open more regularly here on out. As for the bars, I think it will depend on demand. While we were there, not many people were swimming in the pools, as a result only one of the pool bars, the beach bar and the bar by the buffet were open regularly. I hope this changes with a higher influx of people.

Entertainment:
There were Karoke nights in the many entertainment area. There was entertainment every night, with one night a Beach Party night which was pretty fun. There is a disco which is pretty tiny, but it was a lot of fun with a lot of fun songs being played. The entertainment during the day was scarce, although they had a list of activities, I did not see a lot of them being organized on the beach. Volleyball did happen regularly. The waves were too big for non-motorized boating activities. We were able to snorkel and there's a nice little reef near the hotel where you'll see lots of fish. It is fairly shallow though so you'll have to watch your legs in order not to scratch yourself up.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends