We stayed here for one week on January 27, 2011. I am shocked at the recent bad reviews and felt compelled to write this review. We have stayed in many 5 star resorts and we have never had the quality of service like this facility. The grounds are beautiful and offer 7 pools on many levels of the resort with views of the ocean in the front and the mountains in the back. Many areas to sit, private areas, multiple bars, large buffet, 3 restaurants, swim up bars, kids areas, quiest pools, spa, large jacuzzi, snack bar, beach bar, beach and pool activities.
STAFF/SERVICE-the staff here were the most friendly people we have ever dealt with it. Examples-We were hugged by 2 waitresses on our last day, there were some wild dogs on the beach and we wanted to find a grocery store to get them some food and a waitress gave us details for the bus, but then she went further and said she was back the next day at 7am and we could give her a list and she would pick it up for us-unbelievable, 2 bartenders shook our hands on the last day and gave us the most sincere thank you for our patronage-never have I had that even after tipping allot of money. We tipped maybe a total of $80US for the week and the service and comfort level was spectacular!! I will say there were many demanding guests and never did I see them give even $1, hence I assume these are the guests writing bad reviews.It is a vacation, smile, be polite, this is common courtesy.
I must state that I hope the resort reads this and truly appreciates the services of the following staff-Melvin(Pool Bar), Leonel(Pool Bar), Elisandra(Buffet Waitress), Miguel (Manager), and Jonathon(Beach Bar)-these folks would give staff at the Four Seasons a run for the money. These staff created comfort and a level of service that was unparalleled to any resort we have been to.
ROOM-We stayed in building 40 on the third floor and we booked a junior suite garden view. It was brand new and I think we were the first to use it. Balcony offered view of the ocean, a pool and the Beach bar-it was awesome! The bathroom was all stone tile with a jacuzzi, walk in shower and a separate room for the toilet with privacy door. Again, if you are not happy with your room-ASK, these people will do anything to make your stay better. We met people who stayed in unremodeled rooms and would rather complain than ask for a room change.
FOOD-The main buffet food was excellent with different choices every night. Sure there may be a few repeats but I have stayed at triple the cost resorts and they offered less selection. One day was a full roast turkey at lunch and it was honestly the best I have ever had-sorry mom. There was 3 restaurants and only one was open nightly. Those complaining about this is ridiculous, you cannot eat in 3 restaurants in one night anyway. The biggest bonus was no limit like other resorts-you could book a restaurant every night if you wanted to. Our favorite was the Brazilian-it was awesome food and service!
RESORT-7 pools on different levels, waterfalls, stones, trees, beautiful views, I have posted some pictures.
BEACH- Do your homework before you travel and you would know this is not white sand Punta Cana or the Mayan Riviera. The beach was fine enough to walk a small way down either side with some seaweed and not the clearest water. Again, do your homework, it is a bay-therefore you will never have the complete clear water like Punta Cana or Mayan Riviera. They worked hard cleaning the beach the entire stay, but there will be an odd cup or paper as there are some winds that make it inevitable one or two will escape.
In summary I cannot understand how anyone could say bad about this place. A vacation is what you make and I did see many demanding ignorant guests who probably could never be happy. It is a couple of dollars for a tip and a smile is free. The staff I cannot say enough about-treated like royalty, called by my name the entire week by at least 10 staff members-it was truly incredible.
Lots of stairs would not bring my parents here or people with mobility issues-but if you did your homework you would have known this
They could use more garbage cans and ashtrays to eliminate some of the debris guest leave around
The mattresses were not the greatest but they mostly never are at these resorts
Bring lots of singles for tips as they never have much change
They accepted credit cards in the Logo Shop-mistated on another review, probably another miserable guest
Building 40 and 41 and some others are brand new-beautiful!
Time Share Guys-be polite, be firm-not interested-then the rest of week all they say is good morning and do not bother you-never gave us a problem
Can walk a 10min walk up to Ocean World and the casino
Right out front of the resort is Bus C, $1-$3US takes you to Puerto Plata, note not a bus like we think, a small mini van with no doors-it was allot of fun
Occupancy was about 30%, never needed to save chairs to find a nice spot
If you are a normal traveler, do your homework, know what to expect and can smile and afford a few dollars for tips you will have a great time. We normally stay only at Iberostars-but we found this place to be the same only the Be Live Carey staff is far superior. The place is 10 out of 10 and you will have a wonderful time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort – Dominican Republic is the newest jewel in the Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club. Nestled along the Cofresi beach shores, and overlooking the sparkling Caribbean sea, this resort caters to the luxurious enjoyment of both families and couples looking for that perfect getaway. With 468 well-appointed accommodations that range from Adult Only Spa Suites, to Standard family friendly rooms located in a quite setting between the ocean beach and spectacular pool, this is a paradise worthy of the Lifestyle name. The resort was created with space and comfort in mind, making Cofresi Palm a relaxing, enjoyable and satisfying experience for all guests and their families. All rooms have air conditioning, cable television, phones, and ceiling fans, while the decor has a distinctive design, featuring dark wood furnishings. Shaded patios and verandas provide a relaxing place to gather in some of the units. Providing both service and features that are standard for a Lifestyle property, the Cofresi Palm offers a unique luxury accommodations experience. Cofresi Palm provides the easy, relaxed ambiance of the Caribbean in an opulent and elegant setting. Experience the array of beauty and excitement that Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotels.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sun Village Puerto Plata
- Sun Village Hotel Cofresi
- Dominican Republic Sun Village
- Sun Village Dominican Republic
- Sun Village Spa
- Sun Village Resort Dominican Republic
- Sun Village Resort Puerto Plata
- Sun Village Beach Resort
- Sun Village Resort Spa Puerto Plata
- Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata