“Best Service Ever Had”

Ranked #12 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Windsor, Ontario
“Best Service Ever Had”
Reviewed 4 February 2011

We stayed here for one week on January 27, 2011. I am shocked at the recent bad reviews and felt compelled to write this review. We have stayed in many 5 star resorts and we have never had the quality of service like this facility. The grounds are beautiful and offer 7 pools on many levels of the resort with views of the ocean in the front and the mountains in the back. Many areas to sit, private areas, multiple bars, large buffet, 3 restaurants, swim up bars, kids areas, quiest pools, spa, large jacuzzi, snack bar, beach bar, beach and pool activities.

STAFF/SERVICE-the staff here were the most friendly people we have ever dealt with it. Examples-We were hugged by 2 waitresses on our last day, there were some wild dogs on the beach and we wanted to find a grocery store to get them some food and a waitress gave us details for the bus, but then she went further and said she was back the next day at 7am and we could give her a list and she would pick it up for us-unbelievable, 2 bartenders shook our hands on the last day and gave us the most sincere thank you for our patronage-never have I had that even after tipping allot of money. We tipped maybe a total of $80US for the week and the service and comfort level was spectacular!! I will say there were many demanding guests and never did I see them give even $1, hence I assume these are the guests writing bad reviews.It is a vacation, smile, be polite, this is common courtesy.
I must state that I hope the resort reads this and truly appreciates the services of the following staff-Melvin(Pool Bar), Leonel(Pool Bar), Elisandra(Buffet Waitress), Miguel (Manager), and Jonathon(Beach Bar)-these folks would give staff at the Four Seasons a run for the money. These staff created comfort and a level of service that was unparalleled to any resort we have been to.

ROOM-We stayed in building 40 on the third floor and we booked a junior suite garden view. It was brand new and I think we were the first to use it. Balcony offered view of the ocean, a pool and the Beach bar-it was awesome! The bathroom was all stone tile with a jacuzzi, walk in shower and a separate room for the toilet with privacy door. Again, if you are not happy with your room-ASK, these people will do anything to make your stay better. We met people who stayed in unremodeled rooms and would rather complain than ask for a room change.

FOOD-The main buffet food was excellent with different choices every night. Sure there may be a few repeats but I have stayed at triple the cost resorts and they offered less selection. One day was a full roast turkey at lunch and it was honestly the best I have ever had-sorry mom. There was 3 restaurants and only one was open nightly. Those complaining about this is ridiculous, you cannot eat in 3 restaurants in one night anyway. The biggest bonus was no limit like other resorts-you could book a restaurant every night if you wanted to. Our favorite was the Brazilian-it was awesome food and service!

RESORT-7 pools on different levels, waterfalls, stones, trees, beautiful views, I have posted some pictures.

BEACH- Do your homework before you travel and you would know this is not white sand Punta Cana or the Mayan Riviera. The beach was fine enough to walk a small way down either side with some seaweed and not the clearest water. Again, do your homework, it is a bay-therefore you will never have the complete clear water like Punta Cana or Mayan Riviera. They worked hard cleaning the beach the entire stay, but there will be an odd cup or paper as there are some winds that make it inevitable one or two will escape.

In summary I cannot understand how anyone could say bad about this place. A vacation is what you make and I did see many demanding ignorant guests who probably could never be happy. It is a couple of dollars for a tip and a smile is free. The staff I cannot say enough about-treated like royalty, called by my name the entire week by at least 10 staff members-it was truly incredible.

FEW POINTERS
Lots of stairs would not bring my parents here or people with mobility issues-but if you did your homework you would have known this
They could use more garbage cans and ashtrays to eliminate some of the debris guest leave around
The mattresses were not the greatest but they mostly never are at these resorts
Bring lots of singles for tips as they never have much change
They accepted credit cards in the Logo Shop-mistated on another review, probably another miserable guest
Building 40 and 41 and some others are brand new-beautiful!
Time Share Guys-be polite, be firm-not interested-then the rest of week all they say is good morning and do not bother you-never gave us a problem
Can walk a 10min walk up to Ocean World and the casino
Right out front of the resort is Bus C, $1-$3US takes you to Puerto Plata, note not a bus like we think, a small mini van with no doors-it was allot of fun
Occupancy was about 30%, never needed to save chairs to find a nice spot

If you are a normal traveler, do your homework, know what to expect and can smile and afford a few dollars for tips you will have a great time. We normally stay only at Iberostars-but we found this place to be the same only the Be Live Carey staff is far superior. The place is 10 out of 10 and you will have a wonderful time.

4 Thank rooster1391

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,022)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto
Reviewed 1 February 2011

We arrived at Be Live Carey (Grand Ambar) on Wednesday January 12th and stayed until Wednesday January 26th. When we arrived check in went very smoothly and all the staff spoke English. We then had a staff member drive us in a golf cart to our room and carry our bags up. However, when we got there our key didn’t work so he let us in with his master key and then went back to the lobby to get our keys fixed and brought them back quite promptly.

Our room was 41304, one of the renovated suites by the ocean. We didn’t have an ocean view, but the room was nicely done. We had a large living area with bed, two chairs, desk and flat screen tv mounted to the wall. The bathroom has a separate little room with the toilet, a separate shower, a large tub and his and her sinks. The room was clean, however, the toilets sometimes let off an odour, they do seem to have some sort of sewer problem.

We went and ate at the grill and the food was okay, but we realized later that they actually do have menus, you don’t have to just eat from the buffet. When we ordered from the menu, the hamburger was decent.

The buffet always had lots of selection and the food was always really good, I am a really fussy eater and I had no trouble finding food at any of the three meals. We ate at the buffet most of the time, we only went to the grill twice.

The pools are beautiful, and since the resort was not at it’s full occupancy, we had no problem finding chairs, even at 10:00 in the morning! The first pool you see by the lobby is the main pool, then you go down some stairs and you come to the waterfall pool. Then down a few more stairs and you come to the kids pool and play area. Then down more stairs and behind the spot with pool table and foosball you will find another adults pool. This is where we spent all our time. It has a swim up bar, but it’s not stocked and was only open two days but didn’t serve alcohol. Then by the gym and spa (and up some stairs) you will find a beautiful adults pool, however, there is very little sun up there. Then down a hill by the beach you will find two pools with a bar, that’s where all the activities take place.

We went to the Bravissimo show and dinner at Ocean World one night and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND!! It was fabulous! The service at dinner was amazing and the Vegas style show was awesome to watch, the costumes were huge, bold and beautiful!

And of course, we spent a fair amount of our time drinking at the bars in the evening. By the buffet they have a cocktail bar that overlooks the waterfall pool and it’s quite nice. Melby and Jorge were WONDERFUL!! They helped teach me Spanish, I wanted to learn at least one word a day  Andy at the pool bar during the day was great too, one day it rained and we sat there drinking all afternoon and I would be almost done my beer and he would take it and refill it for me without even asking!! Jonathan in the bar by the theatre was great, and we talked a lot about the baseball playoffs that were happening in the DR while we were there (I’m a huge baseball fan).

The entertainment team was great, we met Belgis on our first day and he remembered both mine and my husbands name for the entire time that we were there. The shows at night were decent, it provided some entertainment, but we often missed them because we got talking with other tourists at the bars. The main pool bar was open at night and they have wicker type furniture to sit on out there and enjoy some drinks looking at the pool. Gregorio (I think that was his name) was great there at night too. The disco is small and no smoking allowed, however, they use the smoke machine so it’s always smokey in there anyways.

This is my sixth time to the DR and while I have stayed at better resorts (Majestic and Excellence in Punta Cana) this resort is quite nice. My only complaints, our bed was not comfortable and the fridge was only stocked with four pops (coke, diet coke, orange and sprite) and one beer. At least give us two of everything.

We only went to one a la carte, the Asian, and both my husband and I enjoyed that, however, we didn’t have the best service in that place. Our best server for meals was Ronal in the buffet, he was absolutely amazing.

All in all, I think the resort was good and I would recommend. We only paid $1000 for two weeks so we really can’t complain! However, as most reviews indicate, this isn’t a place for people who have trouble walking up and down stairs every day, all day, or with strollers. No elevators and lots of stairs. However, I really enjoyed the stairs, it helped me to not gain much weight over two weeks 

I hope you found this useful… we had a great trip!

Danielle
Toronto, Ontario Canada

5 Thank dani12Toronto
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 January 2011

When we got there we had to wait until 430 pm to get the keys to the rooms, check in being 3pm. We reserved 4 rooms. 1 out of 3 were acceptable, smelled like mold, air conditioners didnt work. Area outside of rooms smelled like rotten eggs from sewer water. Not much to do. Only 2 pool tables, 1 ping pong table and two soccer tables. Didnt like the beach, not exactly the most crystal clear. Hated the annoying time share people who wouldnt leave you alone until you agreed to attend one of their seminars. Food was ok. Drinks could have been better. When you called room service, they would take forever to come. Couldnt eat at any of the restaurants because they were all booked. The list goes on and on. As for 5 stars, not even close to 2. Like I said, DONT DO IT ! Dominican Republic has better resorts, and this is not one of them.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MARS2012
Reviewed 29 January 2011

We just got back from Be Live Carey Grand Ambar which is what they call themselves now. I guess there was a different name everywhere. It is a beautiful site and the weather was beautiful as well, 7 pools, a beautiful but not big beach, a lovely buffet and 3 restaurants. When you arrive tell them that your teens are all 18 or they won't have access to all the activities. I told the truth so we could not go to the disco nor to the spa as my kids were not allowed in. Also they put a red bracelet on them so even from afar the boys could see that they were under age. And no one talked to them. My daughter is 17….
There are lots of sports and gym classes on the beach by enthoustic young men. You can borrow boogie boards and snorkeling gear but there are only 7 or 8 of each item so if you visit when there is lots of people you probably won't be able to borrow anything! There were also Spanish classes and dance classes that I never took because no one knew where they were held! There are security gardes all over the site and on the beach but we were never harassed by peddlers. On Saturday there were a lot of residents on the beach next to ours. They swim in their clothes. There was one family that watched us sunbath for over an hour. It was as bit weird!
The buffet was very good and varied at each meal but often cold. Be ware of the hamburgers at night, we arrived late Saturday evening and all that was opened was the buffet snack bar which is opened most of the night, My husband had a hamburger and as the lighting was dim he an had eaten over half of it before we noticed it was rare! They serve water in pitchers, there are no bottles and all the fruit and salad is prepared and peel in advance which is not the way we are told to eat it but we had no choice. We all ended the week and the week after with diarrhea to varying degrees but nothing I have not had when visiting other European countries. The Mexican resto on the beach is wonderful, they are opened all day and the lunch menu, especially the fish is excellent, you can also eat from the buffet with or without the a la carte menu, the Asian resto next to the buffet was not great, way too much soya sauce. Of course it was only opened 1 time that we tried to go so maybe we did not order the best things, but we were 4 eating 4 different meals, oh you can't have both a soup and a salad before your meal, only 1 choice! The Brasilian resto next to the lounge was not a la carte but was a small buffet with the same foods as the regular buffet with limited choices and the waiters served different meats cooked on a skewer. Everyone eats the same thing and it is always the same menu! We only went once. You have to be real hungry to get through the Brasilian meal. The problem with the restaurants was they were not all opened every night, One or 2 per night but you cannot reserve in advance and you don't know which one is opened and when, you must go to the restaurant of your choice at 6:15 and reserve if it is opened, don't forget to ask when it is opened again and which restaurant is opened the next day. The staff is mostly the same changing restaurants each evening. 2 evenings we had to eat at the buffet because our reservation was too late and the kids did not want to wait. Oh, don’t forget no shorts in the restaurants, I saw a few people refused service as they were not properly dressed! Did you notice, the restaurants listed in the Nolitour book said Italian, Japanese, and seafood, I did not see any of those!! Do say hi to the juice lady at the breakfast buffet she is a ray of sunshine each morning. Hola, com esta?
The staff is very nice and they always say they will look after things but once you leave I think they forget you, after 4 days of going up to the lobby morning and night (there are about 70 stairs between the beach and the lobby) and after I got a frig, I gave up. We had two rooms, we were in the building 205 at the bottom of the stairs, my fridge did not work, I did get it replaced on Wednesday, I arrived Saturday! The pillows on the king bed were about a foot thick. finally took 2 pillows off the beds of my children who had normal pillows on their double beds, One of my daughters had a flea or something in her bed. She had bites up and down her leg and the next day there were more. I went to complain the first day but on the second morning I waited for the maid and asked for new sheets. I changed the bed myself! The air conditioning in the kid's room did not work, the fan moved so much when we turned it on we were afraid it would fall on us! They did come to see or fix it but nothing changed. Their bathroom window would only stay opened if we stuck a towel between the window slats. There was no table or dresser or folding table to put the suitcases on so we left them on the floor. Not great for my husband who has a bad back! There is a closet but you have to be taller than 5’5 to hang anything in it as it is so high. There are only about 8 hangers anyway. We only had 1 liter of warm water per day until I stopped a maid and got 4 bottles of which I hid because they would not replace the empty one if the saw the one you have was not empty. The worst was the room was dirty. The mirror and around the sink had not been cleaned well. The curtains were disgusting! The floor was stained. The bed looked like it came from a dump. The mattress and pillows seemed new, the bathtub had a new molded form over the old tub and the grout had been quickly painted by someone not very tall as they did not paint right up to the ceiling. Oh yeh there was no inner tube to put my toilet paper roll on. I could go on but I think you get the idea. I was not the only one complaining. A few people actually were able to have their room changed. The next day the hotel put new people in the same room without doing any repairs!! And they said the rooms were renovated!!!! Yes the rest of the site was clean and new but not the rooms. …
Now for the evening entertainment, it reminded me of Amateur Night at high school and I think we were better! The first night is funny but the show is almost always the same. I did not go on Thurs night and the kids said it was the best show, disco lisping I think. You might as well go; there is nothing else to do after you eat! The disco only opens after the show and it is only for the young anyway, too small for much else!...
The only excursion we went on was a snorkeling trip to Soshua. We had a great time and it was nice to get to drive through the city during the day. Really poor! But be careful, no seatbelts, and the drivers would never pass a driving exam in Quebec. ...
Don' forget to bring lots of american money all in $1 because they don't give change, the change is in pesos and they don't take credit cards not even at the hotel boutiques. I bought a ring at the hotel boutique and had to pay cash. We only had 250$ in american money so we really did not have enough. I would have bought more with more cash. There are little shops along the beach that sell the same kind of stuff as in the hotel. In all these shops on the beach and at the hotel we paied half the origional asking price. So buyer beware! On the beach if you bring them a pina colata they may even give you a better price as my daughter found out. The other thing you must not forget is a thermo cup with a cover and have the waiters fill you cup. There is alot less garbage but most of all your drink stays cold and you don't have to worry about sand blowing in it. I lost alot of drinks that way
Beware of the men with the white polos with ``Tell it only to your best friend’’ written on the back, they are extremely nice and talk to you, ask you if everything is ok if you need anything! Then one day they tell you, you have won something all kinds of stuff, caps, t-shirts, beach bags,...but the entire family must be together to receive the prize, If you want to loose 3 to 4 hours of your vacation I suggest you go! They are selling time sharing for Lifestyle holidays at the resort next-door! Lifestyle is the owner of Be Live. After 2 hours of visiting room after room we asked to be returned to our site, we did not get any presents, and we missed most of our afternoon! The men with the polos never talked to us again!!!...
All in all we did have a wonderful time, we wanted to relax and that is what we did. We might have had trouble sleeping had it been hot at night as the air conditioning and the fan did not work, Our room was nowhere near what we expected for a 4,5 star but we did not spend much time inside except to sleep or we sat on the balcony which was nice, could have had more comfortable chairs but anyway, we will return south but never we will try another company.
I don't know if I should recommend this resort.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Hillsdale, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 January 2011

First of all I called directly to the resort to make the reservation, and did so 5 times to make sure it was wheelchair accesible ( meaning ramps, open bathrooms ) etc. Upon our arrival it took 2 hours for the counter to get us set up. As soon as we got there the bell boys told us that this hotel is all stairs, no ramps, no way for me to go anywhere. The only place i could go was to the beach and i had to go outside the hotel through the street to get there.
The room which I was told was " wheelchair accessible " was the most uncomfortable one. No open shower, it had a 6 to 8 inch step to get in. Toilet was inside a room that looked like a cave where no toilet chair would ever fit.

Upon going to the counter to tell them i needed a solution they said they couldnt do anything because the other hotels they have where full. WORST SERVICE THERE. The customer service manager ( very nice lady ) went up to talk to the manager ( THAT NEVER CAME TO US FOR NOTHING ) took 5 hours from 1 to 6 to get us a room in a sister hotel, making us lose 1 full day with no refund or nothing.

DO NOT PROMOTE WHAT YOU DONT HAVE.

• Stayed January 2011
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 23 January 2011

Right after we the arrival the problems started. From the noon until 6 P.M. we were walked around by the concierge from one room to another, one worse than other. It took us 6 hours to get a room that looked more like 3 stars just after i called back to Toronto to my travel agent saying that i'd rather get back home. Through this whole ordeal the people from the lobby that were "helping" us were cynical the whole time having a good laugh at the fact that we were not happy and helpless at getting what we paid for. Finally we got a room, maybe 3.5 stars with a broken A/C with a "nice view" of surrounding buildings in which we were supposed to be in. On top of it all right under the window we had a "beautiful" scenic sewage river, which had a horrible stench. The buildings in which we should have been the 4.5 stars newly built ones were mostly given to the local Dominican travelers.

The people:

Very good people in the restaurants and bars. Nice and courteous.
The rooms kept nice and clean, house keeping get a 4.5 stars.
Lobby personnel will make your stay a very bad one they get a zero from us.

The hotel itself:

The hotel itself felt like one big staircase. So if you're training for the Olympics this might be for you. If you want to rest very tiring. The sewage ran trough the whole old establishment right trough the middle. The new resort did not have the same problem.

The beach:

...Well the sewage eventually would run straight into the ocean. It is not recommended that you swim there very murky water.
Weather was excellent but thats probably the only reason why we didn't fall into depression. I would not recommend this resort.

Dont take the room 30523. And the worst room we saw was 20223.

1 Thank bisar
Ontario
Reviewed 22 January 2011

The resort opened in December, maybe a little early, a bit too soon.
My best girlfriend and I headed down for some R & R for two weeks. The hotel is exeptionally clean, the staff very warm and friendly. Animation team is small, but the attendance was only at half capacity. The restaurants, including the buffet offered lots of variety. Fresh and good every day.
There were 85 steps from our room close to the beach up to the lobby, which we did sometimes 2-3 times a day! A good work out for sure, not so good for anyone with bad knees, or hips.
Each day there were small improvements made to a variety of things from new coffee/espresso machines all around at the bars to new ice machines, and new patio furniture on every one's balconies. We saw so many improvements in 2 weeks, this place will definitely be Awesome in 2 months! It's almost there now.
The location is about 45 mins from the airport, and it's a small but beautiful private beach. (no beach vendors!)
Would definitely return.