“Worth every penny!”

Be Live Collection Marien
Ranked #9 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Over all this trip has been a very positive experience and worth every penny for the package. Here are some comments :

Pros :
1. Very smooth checking in. Loved the surprised cocktail served at the lobby which made me feel like in Fantasy Island.
2. Room was very clean. No bugs, no smoke, no noise, no problem with water or air con. Loved our maid – she put hibicus flowers in our bathroom!
3. Resort buildings are well spaced out but yet still very centralized and convenience. Very clean, well maintained and landscaped. I came only with my teenage daughter, and we both felt very safe at all time.
4. Beach was very clean. Workers combed it constantly. With only another highend resort next door sharing the beach, that made the public beach feel totally exclusive. The 2 sercurity guards at the beach made it extra safe.
5. Food and drinks are more than plenty. Good variety and great service – I got what I asked for promptly and with big smiles!
6. A very good mixed of guests at the resort.
7. Night entertainments were ‘interesting and entertaining’ , just don’t compare these with the Vegas shows!
8. Front desk staff helped us catch up with an excursion, eventhough we did not book it through the hotel.

Cons :
1. Food display units often ‘over cooked’ the good food instead of just keeping them warm. Fruitflies everywhere! Definitely the hotel should redesign the ways they display the food.
2. Don’t border about going to the a-la-cart dinners, the buffets are better.
3. Casino machines are all in Spanish.
4. I was tricked to go into the resort’s Time Share Centre in our first morning, but I was quick to decline the on-site tour and I never got approached again.
5. Couldn’t avoid those sales people on the beach at all. They indeed offer much better price for excursions than the hotel, even so, you should still bargain with them. Ask for Martinez (#1)!
6. The locals came to stay for the weekend, it’s good to feel the local flare, but the crowd was quite overwhelming at times.
7. No body told us that the Rum Factory is closed for a 3 months renovation!
8. Really don’t like the flying schedule on the return flight – we checked out at 12 :00 on Tursday, then had to kill time until 4 :30 p.m. for the shuttle bus to take us to the airport. Waited in the airport for 3 hours for the 7 :45 p.m. flight. The airport should have an open air patio so we can work on our uneven tan lines. The plane had to fly to Punta Cana to pick up other passangers, came back to Toronto at almost 2 :00 a.m., Went to bed at 4 :00 a.m. and to work at 10 :00a.m. on Friday – lost a whole glorious day!

Room Tip: - Best price for a bottle of 1L extra old rum should be around US$12.00 to $15.00. - For those pr...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank canadian202
Write a ReviewReviews (4,213)

Reviewed 15 July 2011

The hotel was a wonderful plaice we enjoyed every moment! Having initially booked to stay at another resort which was very disappointing we decided to move to the Be Live the second day of our trip.
The Staff very friendly and attentive.
Food rather boring and very much catered for the American's, not enough authenticity.
We traveled with our 2 young children who were never board as the entertainment was out of this world. The kids Club was also fantastic and Sophia who ran it was great with the kids.
We would defiantly go back!!

1  Thank rani4444
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Out of the 30+ All inclusive resorts I have stayed in my life this is the worst when it comes to food and service.

Let me start by saying that theres is no way that this hotel is a 4 star. The resort itself is nice and has a very nice pool, but when it comes to the rooms, service and food it just doesn't cut it.

-ROOMS-
The rooms are very basic...The bed's springs were very worn so the bed sank on one side and was noisy. We were suppose to change rooms but that never happened, the front desk people don't seem to be keen on helping people and the guy at guest services was very rude.
When we came in the room the toilet was blocked and the TV was not working, this got fixed within half an hour, but the toilet kept getting blocked over and over again. The toilet of the room across from us got blocked and the main passageway's floor got flooded on the top floor.
The bed sheets were so itchy that I had to take em off the bed.

-FOOD-
First off, every buffet menu that was put up on the board had 5+ items which were missing and it was always the big items missing.
The food was horrible, was either over salted or lacked flavor, like they didn't have any spices in the kitchen just salt. The meats were always dry. The chicken was the same everyday. The buffet really lacked diversity.
They didn't have onions on most of the days at the omelette's station, never had grated cheese. I brought the chef a slice of cheese and he put it on and flipped the omelette before cooking the other side...That just shows how talented the chefs are.
Peaches were labelled as Bananas, the Salmon was white so it wasn't salmon, the churizos were cut up hot dog sausages.
As for desserts, the chocolate mousse tasted like Jello mix. This is the first hotel I have been to that did not have cheesecake as dessert.

The Mexican restaurant was very slow, and everything was over salted. It was my Sisters birthday and I asked the waiter if they did anything special for birthdays and he told me no? And by the way my sister ended up throwing up all night right after dinner.

The Brazilian restaurant was nice but the meats all had the same seasoning and the sides and desserts were as awful as the buffet.

I don't know how the other reviews say the food is good, must be people who only cook Kraft dinner at home because I spoke to 10+ other guest and they all complained about the food and we even spent a full hour laughing about it.

-BEACH-
The beach was dirty, they're was a bunch of driftwood and debris that were washed off on the sand, it needed to be raked badly.
The vendors were also very annoying, every minute someone was coming to ask you to get your hair braided, buy cigars, or go on a tour.

-ENTERTAINMENT-
During the day they had horseshoe, darts, volleyball thats pretty much it and at night there was nothing apart from the shows which lacked practice and on one occasion was stopped because not even 10 people were there.
They had music either at the beach or at the pool, never had the same time because they only had one speaker and it was off most of the time.

-STAFF -

One night we wanted to watch the NBA finals and the bartender by the pool bar told us that the group of Germans sitting down wanted to watch Baseball. Germans watch baseball??? We walked over the table and they told us the bartender told them he did not have that channel and they wanted to see Dirk Nowitzky play.

I tried complaining about the food to management but they didn't seem to care, I was also told that the GM does not speak to guests, it took 3 days for someone to contact me, that shows you how much they care...

On the weekend the place was filled with locals and escorts. There was a few escorts (5+) staying at the hotel with some old men...Talk about a family experience.

The nightclub and casino was also full of hookers..95% of all the girls in the nightclub were trying to sell themselves.

We also heard two people screaming at the frond desk because they got robbed over $1000 US while leaving the Casino and nothing was done and the police didn't arrest the thieves, and none of the management of the hotel or casino seemed to care.

10  Thank LePinotNoir
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Dominican Republic was great to us. From the time we stepped out of the airplane to the hotel and back. We were greeted by beautiful ladies wearing a la Vegas outfits. What a treat! The trip on the bus was very entertaining and before we know it, we were at the hotel!
The hotel was awesome. It was a nice size resort and very clean. The service at the front desk was fast and efficient, considering there was only 4 people at the front at 3 bus full of people waiting to be checked in.
Our rooms were ready right after we checked in, we left our luggage and headed straight to the buffet!
We are vegetarian and every day there was always a variety to choose from. Honestly, we were never hungry at this resort. There's always something to eat at the beach bar. And not to mention, the service was very fast. There's always a clean table waiting for us for breakfast and lunch. For dinner time, we have tried the Italian Restaurant. That was our favorite and we went there twice. The kids love the different types of bread they served.
The entertainment was great. Awesome dancers and singers. They always have something going on and always invite guests to join in. We joined in the Karaoke Night, the Beach Party and the pool games they had there as well. Very hardworking entertainers.

The kids club was great. The child care providers were awesome, always have something fun to do for the children. They even provided water balloons and had a water balloon fight and there was also a sand building competition. As a family, we were happy to take part in their activities.
The room we had was spacious and well cared for. Our attendant gave us extra towels when we asked for some and she was attentive, always asking if we needed anything else.
The tours were awesome as well. We bought the 1 day tour with cable car, amber museum, forts with lunch included. The cable car was fun for everyone except for the DH who was afraid of heights!

What I liked the least were the people at the beach wearing vests selling packages. Honestly, you do not need to approach us twice a day when we already said we were not interested the first time.

Other than that, what a wonderful memorable trip and cannot wait to go back. It was awesome getting great service from an awesome hotel!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank dorathecuteexplorer
Reviewed 3 July 2011

We arrived on the 17th June for 2 weeks,we stayed in block 5 our first room was so dull and dirty we refused to stay in it so we were offerd another room in the same block it was clean and brighter but so shabby and ready for refurbishment room 5301 so disappointed but got settled in.
Hotel gardens were lovely and well kept with lovely water features.
Restaurants: Buffet :El Cayuco: great selection for breakfast omellette station and fruit smoothies had a good selection of food with theme nights had some lovely meals lots of different meats and seafood. One thing we did not like was bird pooh on chairs and birds flying round restaurant eating food off plates left on tables.
Mexican restaurant : would recommend we went twice very good.
Rodizio restaurant : this is a meat restaurant enjoyed first time but our second time it was poor the meat was very under cooked could not eat it,did say we wanted it well done but told it was medium rare, rare being the word.
Gourmet restaurant : tried it, did not go back.
Mangos : snack bar exactly what it is, burgers, chips, pizza, chicken and fresh fruit.
Bars : great selection of cocktails, presidente beer plenty of slush.
Pool : fantastic pool shame that one section was chipped away and had sharpe bits on the bottom if you have children be careful (reception end), there were pool games and water aerobics every day great fun, plenty of sunbeds.
The beach : lovely and clean, shaded areas with plenty of sunbeds, not many beach sellers the security guards stop them approaching you, loved the beach.
Time share : we were approached once and said we were not interested and we were not bothered again (must be my husbands face lol ).
Overall we were very disappointed with our room but we had a lovely holiday.
Finally the locals : we were invaded our second weekend by 1000 locals it was one of their bank hols(so we were told) they just took over everything (bars, restaurants and pool) what a nightmare what else can we say.

Room Tip: Block 5 needs refurbishing but is in a quiet area.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank stephaniejean51
Reviewed 30 June 2011

We really loved the hotel, we asked for a room on the first floor and got, it was a Jr. Suite, it was in the newest builgings (8). Food was good, the staff was always smiling and nice. Love the Casino, went every night (never won) but enjoyed it.
When we checked out and left for Santiago (to visit my husband family) when I got there and went to pay for something I had bought, I noticed that I did not have my wallet :( wow call the hotel immediately, I told them that must likely I had left it in one of the stores that are just outside of the lobby, they asked me to call back in 1/2 hour, wich I did. To my surprise they had found my wallet, I had to go back to Puerto Plata to pick it up (about 2 hours from Santiago), the security of the hotel had my wallet with all my money, all my credit cards, all my ID's, not even a penny was missing WOW I do belive in miracles, I gave the guy in the store $20.00. They are still honest people in this world. I recommend this hotel. Myriam

Room Tip: The new Buildings are great, garden view is great
5  Thank pocho19
Reviewed 20 June 2011

June 13 - 19

1st day there, check in was pretty simple. I had left my confirmation # @ home so they let me use their computer to look it up via my email. The room we were assigned was nice & clean BUT was infested with mosquitoes. After killing about 20 of these annoying insects I called the service desk & complained. I was told they'd send over an exterminator immediately (which they did). We went to the snack bar to get a bite & when we came back to the room we found dead mosquitoes everywhere + the very strong smell of the chemical that was used. We had to air out the room especially since our 4 yr old son was with us.

Other than that adventure the 5 night stay was pleasant. Here are my pros & cons.

Pros
-Clean property.
-Courteous staff
-Kids stay for free
-Good shows
-Nice Pools
-Quiet for the first 4 days until the locals arrived
-Only hassled once about going for a tour to their more expensive hotel chain (Lifestyle)
-Beach was nice, clean, peaceful - great for a nap
-Nice big room (junior suite) with a small fridge, LCD tv, nice bathroom, big king size bed, tub with jets for massage.

Cons
-Buffet food & snack bar below par (especially desserts). There are 3 a la carte restaurants but only 1 open per night so reservations are limited. Had the Mexican & Brazilian and were pretty good.
-Alcoholic drinks feel like they have a 2% alcohol level. You can drink all day & you're the same unless you have actual DR rum (Brugal, Barcelo, Bermudez)
-No pool bar so if you spend a lot of time in the pool this is a total deal-breaker (was for me)
-No snack bar by the pool. Only 1 close to the beach area.
-Ice machines not in all buildings.
-Locals get too excited about unlimited food & the pool. Thank goodness they came on Friday & we checked out on Saturday. Note: I'm Dominican-American & come to DR frequently so I'm not discriminating - I just know how my people are. ;)
-Not much to do if your a nightlife party animal. Local lounge & casino are nothing to brag about.
-No Free Internet/WiFi - Come on people we're in 2011!! We need our wifi!!

Overall an average resort. I've been to resorts to Samana, Punta Cana & Puerto Plata so my expectations are pretty high with certain things therefore I will not be coming back to Be Live Grand Marien.

3  Thank DavidLES