“Party in the Ocean”

Be Live Collection Marien
Ranked #8 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We had a pretty great week at this resort.

Disclaimer: I have been fortunate enough to be taken on a number of really amazing vacations by my family so I've experienced the lap of luxury and would be unhappy vacationing in squalor, but that said I have spent the last four years living the student dream and my standards are probably slightly lower than those of some other patrons. This was my first all-inclusive experience.

Rooms: Clean, pretty normal. The maids did some really cool sculptures with towels and stuff in our room and our friends rooms. There were always flowers on the bed. We were in Building 6, which is apparently one of the newer buildings, and have no complaints except that we had to ask for extra blankets.

Grounds/Pool: So beautiful. Pool was great, I liked that it had 3 arm-thingys and something different would be going on in each. If you didn't feel like getting accosted by people splashing around playing water sports you could just move to a different part of the pool, and if you wanted to take part in a rollicking game of volleyball or something you didn't have to feel bad about bothering people who were just trying to relax in the pool. The only thing is people can basically smoke wherever they want so I was having a really lovely nap under an umbrella one afternoon and suddenly I was inhaling huge amounts of second-hand smoke courtesy of some lady sitting next to me. Rather unpleasant, and a bit of a weird culture shock coming from Canada where it's really difficult to smoke in public places.

Food: I was in starving student heaven. The buffet always had at least one questionable dish and one that was to die for, so it was hit and miss but mostly hit. Eat the fish...I never had a bad experience with the fish. Also, a lot of my party didn't take any immune-system boosting drugs like Dukoral and we ate salad, water, and fruit we didn't peel ourselves like crazy...nobody really got sick, magically, so considering all the warning's I'd had about traveller's diarrhea I think that's something to congratulate the hotel on. Book the a la cartes early because they fill up by the end of the week. Also I probably had about three lunches every day because I couldn't go to the bathroom by the beach without hitting up the snack bar. Sometimes they'd have something surprisingly fancy like Paella.

Other random comments:
- Security guards on the beach get really uncomfortable when you get too close to the water at night, but none of them speak any English so that can be really confusing. Also one of them bugged us until we brought him a hot dog.
- The Air Transat holiday people charged a lot of us twice for an excursion...so be wary and check your statements.
- I found the staff to be incredibly helpful and friendly.
- Parts of the dining room were really dark? In a bad I-can't-see-what-I'm-putting-on-my-fork kind of way.
- You have to get up obscenely early to get pool chairs with any kind of shade. People wake up at around 8 and put towels over a bunch of chairs then go mill around for about two thousand years before finally coming back and actually using their chairs.
- It's really windy at the beach, this being the Atlantic side of the island, and you'll get sand ALL over you. Bring a cup with a lid.
- This may sound odd but bring orange juice or apple juice or something from outside the resort. I just don't find the insanely sugary juice they had to be very thirst-quenching, and all I wanted by the end of the week was a nice glass of Tropicana.

Overall: I found this resort to be family friendly, digestive system friendly, university reading week friendly, and delicious. Don't expect magic, it's fairly average, but it was never below expectations.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank HumanChessEnthusiast

Reviewed 27 February 2012

We are a family of five, our kids are 5, 11 and 13 they all loved it and always had something fun to do. The beach was beautiful spent most of our time there, pool was great for the kids the water was from puddle deep to about 5 feet. There was a great selection of food we all found something we liked even our picky eater. Rooms were nice we had connecting rooms, we left the doors open so we had lots if room and we were all together. The resort was good and the staff was amazing! Great trip will go back next year!

• Stayed: February 2012
6  Thank Famleof5
Reviewed 27 February 2012

As with everything our group of six experienced both good and bad. The reviews I read before going were, for the most part, accurate. The two major weaknesses were the ocean water (this includes all Puerto Plata resorts in this area) was not your typical Caribbean calm and clear and the food quality/selection at the buffet with the beach snack bar almost non existent compared to other resorts. Ironically we thoroughly enjoyed both the Caribbean and Brazilian restaurants which provided much needed relief from the buffet. The locals crowding in on the weekends also diminished the total experience. The excursion to Paradise Island was too long factoring in an almost two hour bus ride on either end. As the title says it is a pretty well kept resort, with a lovely pool and accomodating staff. Our weather was perfect but the high humidity (normal?) made early afternoons very hot all week long. Overall we enjoyed the trip but we will not return to this resort or area.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Bluenoser0221
Reviewed 26 February 2012

So I've been traveling to this island for 15 years but I've avoided this part of the island for awhile as its the oldest resort area here.
I was pleasantly surprised. This is not a 4-5 star resort, however it is a very decent 3 star resort that does well.
Plus,,food, (I am of Hispanic descent and may not be objective) . Every meal was fresh and tasty. Never used the salt shaker once!
Plus.. Kids club. Free and secure
Rooms... Average,even with the newer rooms. I didn't see the old ones. We hardly stood in the rooms anyway .
View.. Ocean on one side with green mountains behind you .spectacular
Minus... Pushy locals. Loud, obnoxious, families that come on weekends and cut you in line for everything. But these are people that come from an impoverished nation where you literally have to fight for services and goods that we take for granted.
Minus... Casino. It sucked
Prostitutes.. I saw a few older men with some local girls and assumed that's what they were but I was never propositioned. But my lovely Latin wife was !! We laughed it off.
Advice... Haggle for all extra services. Never pay the first offer for that figurine or excursion or taxi ride. It's just the way it works here.
Great value for my dollar and would definitely return

• Stayed: February 2012
8  Thank LeoPInilla
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We stayed for two weeks at this resort, overall it was a great experience.
We walked through a few of the resorts down the beach at Playa Dorada and found Grand Marien to have a more spacious layout. The beach was kept clean, the seaweed was raked daily. The Snorkeling was unimpressive. Our room was clean and kept well stocked with drinks and towels. Our favorite of the a la carte restaurants was the Brazillian and the Mexican.
The service in the main buffet restaurant is not great. They have a hostess to seat people, many times we were put at a dirty table, with missing cutlery or glasses. Make sure you have something with you to save your table, sunglasses or a sweater, or people will seat themselves at your table while you are at the buffet. During breakfast the servers could not keep up with the coffee, we had to serve ourselves from the serving station. When the buffet restaurant is closed the snack bar serves french fries, nacho chips and cheese, burgers, pizza and what looked like left overs from the buffet restaurant. We found it best to have a filling breakfast and lunch so we didn't have to visit the snack bar too often.

We shopped at the Playa Dorada mall, in the town and at the orange market on the beach. If you have souvenirs to buy, try the orange market not the blue one but be prepared to experience intense sales tactics, to avoid this the Playa Dorada mall offers the same items without the pressure.

We took a taxi into Peurta Plata town square and walked around, we were familiar with the layout of the town, having taken the Peurto Plata bus tour from the hotel a few days before. We could not find a map of the town anywhere, so bring one from home if you are wanting to explore around. We walked from the town square down to the beach front road and back to the resort, its a long walk but it was great to see the area, and we felt safe the whole time.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms have vaulted ceilings, more privacy from the pathways between buildings. Corner s...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank wanderfamily
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We've travelled several places and the service at this hotel is just inexistant!
The food was awful and I don't need to comment about the drinks.
Great property however your better of elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Melys09
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I just got back from Grand Marien and loved it this Feb. The beach was cleaned every morning, nice sand and water. I stayed in older building 1 on second floor with ocean view and it was lovely sleeping with the window open and listening to waves. We had a great experience with all the staff, waitstaff was very accommodating, activity crew scheduled a stretch class at our request, water aerobics great. I loved the food and the selection. I especially enjoyed the Mexican and Gourmet restaurants that require a reservation but have no additional charge. The hotel caters to more Europeans than Americans which was interesting. Maids are good. All work very hard. Front desk was very helpful to our group, nice welcome drink on arrival and overall a nice experience, I cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: I liked older building 1 on second floor overlooking water 1221-1218. The newer buildings are nice...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends