We were a pair of travelers (early 20s) skeptical at first of the reviews on this site but decided to go for it. We went for a week and returned on September 14.
One of the most amazing aspects of the resort was the people there. The employees there were all very friendly (minus a few at the gourmet and Mexican a la carte restaurants). The ones who stood out were Cugi/Coogi (not sure of the spelling here) and Danny. They were extremely friendly and helpful. They work long hours here, and it's great to see them always cheerful and energetic. They also remembered our names and always said hi to us.
As for the food, I didn't like the buffets. After the second day, I was sick of the food, but my friend loved it all. The Mexican and Brazilian a la carte restaurants were the best, especially the Brazilian one. Make sure to get your reservations! The snack bar was alright, and I liked the fries and chicken. The dinner buffer had different cuisine for each day of the week. I only enjoyed the Italian one wholeheartedly. The drinks were okay, but the Coke seemed to taste weird to me. The water was also weird at first, but then you get used to it. The fruit drinks were really tasty, so be sure to try those!
We never really spent that much time in our rooms other than sleeping and showering, so it didn't really matter to us. We had 2 double beds, a TV on which we watched a lot of awesome American shows (The Big Bang Theory, Friends, etc), a mini fridge stocked with Coke, Sprite, and 2 cans of Presidente. It wasn't very cold, but it kept the drinks fairly cool. The washroom was alright, but we had to request extra towels. There was also a coffee maker in the washroom, which we didn't use at all, since it's in such an odd location. Washroom... really?
The grounds were smaller than we expected, but it was great nonetheless. They kept it clean and we saw people hard at work all the time. The pool is amazing, and the bar beside it kept us hydrated. The beach is great too, and be careful because if you don't watch the waves while swimming, you might just get a mouthful of saltwater.
On the beach there are locals trying to get you to get your hair braided, or to go to the marketplace, etc. Don't entertain them and say you'll come later, because they'll remember you and approach you again if they see you. A firm "No" will suffice and they will go away.
We went on one excursion called "Runners". We paid $75USD for it and looked at a school, homes, how they made tobacco, and had some fresh fruits and coconut. We also rode on horses to a nice beach area and napped in hammocks!
In general, we had an amazing time! Will be back in the Dominican, but we want to go to Punta Cana next.
Remember to leave tip here and there, they work so hard! Bring USD!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Be Live Collection Marien is an all-inclusive 5-star resort in Puerto Plata, located in the northern coast of the Dominican Republic. With a privileged location synonymous of beautiful settings and its heavenly beaches, it is a perfect place to spend a relaxing vacation whether it is for a romantic getaway or for a family fun adventure. The resort features a spa, nearby golf course for guests and event facilities ideal for hosting special events. This complex is located 1 hour from Santiago de Los Caballeros, 10 minutes from the city of Puerto Plata, known for its rum factories and 30 minutes from Gregorio Luperon International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Expedia, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Be Live Collection Marien reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Be Live Grand Marien Hotel Puerto Plata
- Grand Oasis Marien Hotel
- Coral Marien Puerto Plata
- Oasis Marien
- Marien Coral Resort
- Grand Oasis Marien Puerto Plata
- Be Live Collection Marien Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata