I just returned from the Be Live Gran Marien and would like to share my experience.
Check-in-Horrible!!! It was a local holiday and there were lots of people trying to check in. I will give the staff credit for trying to keep it orderly, but the local people kept pushing and yelling for attention. This is not the hotel's fault, but there was no organization and they were not well staffed.
The food-average. I am not picky and neither are the others I traveled with (my husband, sister 50, and mother 70). The buffet variety was limited, but we always found something to fill us up. The burgers at the snack bar were good. We ate at all three speciality restaurants and they were all good. Danny with the waitstaff was always right there and made sure we were well taken care of!!!
The room-average. We were in block 1. I had requested a king bed, we got doubles so my husband and I had to sleep in separate beds our whole vacation. The room as a whole needs to be updated. The refrigerator looked like something from 1970. The finish on our bathtub was flaking, the lamp on the nightstand had to be jiggled before it would come on, the light bulb on our patio was out and we had no clock radio in our room. These things were no big deal and I did not report them to management, but the room as a whole was a disappointment.
The beach-there was some seaweed, but hey...it's the beach and any beach is better than working!! It was beautiful, there were plenty of chairs. The vendors came by but if you told them no, they left you alone.
The excursions-we did not do this through the hotel, but I have to mention! We booked both of our excursion through James at Tours by James. He was so easy to work with and his suggestions were awesome! We chartered a boat and ent deep sea fishing. The captain was Mateo and he and his crew were GREAT. Sandwiches, chips and drinks were included. It was a new boat and we even hooked a 300+lb blue marlin that broke the line right as we got it to the boat!! Amazing experience even though we lost the fish!! Our 2nd excursion was the city tour and cable car ride with Diaz as our tour guide. He was so informative and answered all of our questions. A truly, educational and wonderful experience. We had taken some school supplies for the children at a school that was not part of the usual tours and Jame arranged for us to visit the school and see the children. Seeing their faces and playing with them was such a rewarding experience!
The nightly entertainment was great.
Puerto Plata is beautiful and I don't think you could have a bad vacation. Would I recommend to a friend? Yes and no. Yes, if they want an economical vacation. Ours was about $1400USD for 5 days and four nights. No, if they want 5 star facilities and a luxury vacation. Would I go back? Yes. I know what to expect and would not be disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Be Live Collection Marien is an all-inclusive 5-star resort in Puerto Plata, located in the northern coast of the Dominican Republic. With a privileged location synonymous of beautiful settings and its heavenly beaches, it is a perfect place to spend a relaxing vacation whether it is for a romantic getaway or for a family fun adventure. The resort features a spa, nearby golf course for guests and event facilities ideal for hosting special events. This complex is located 1 hour from Santiago de Los Caballeros, 10 minutes from the city of Puerto Plata, known for its rum factories and 30 minutes from Gregorio Luperon International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., TravelUp, Hotel.de, Odigeo, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Be Live Collection Marien reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Be Live Grand Marien Hotel Puerto Plata
- Grand Oasis Marien Hotel
- Coral Marien Puerto Plata
- Oasis Marien
- Marien Coral Resort
- Grand Oasis Marien Puerto Plata
- Be Live Collection Marien Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata