Be Live Collection Marien
US$205
US$199
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$158
US$132
  • Breakfast included
Sunscape Puerto Plata Dominican Republic(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$167
US$150
  • Breakfast included
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$303
US$229
  • Breakfast included
Blue JackTar(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$154
US$119
Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$180
US$141
  • Pool
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$196
US$158
  • Breakfast included
Viva Wyndham V Heavens(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$227
US$147
US$131
  • Pool
US$190
US$175
4,483 results
All reviewsgrand mariensnack bardanny boygourmet restaurantspaghettientertainment staffdominican republica la carte restaurantsocean viewkids clubgreat resortrecommend this resortwater polopunta canaother resortsbeach volleyballa lot of fun
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We visited this resort 12th till 26th may 2013 upon arriving at the resort the hotel lobby looks amazing and the staff were very welcoming quick and efficient upon check in..... The hotel grounds and especially the pool and the cleanliness was outstanding and direct onto an amazing very quite and private beach is couldn't be faulted .... We managed to get a free upgrade to a deluxe room which is defiantly needed as the standard rooms are defiantly not 5 star..... The room itself is probably what you would expect for a 5 star hotel at what is a third world up and coming country however I wouldn't rate a 3/4 star compared to uk standard... The rooms were clean but did have a strong smell of mould in the bathroom and the putty around the bath was horrendous however the overall cleanliness and cleaning service couldn't be faulted... The main problem was that the room walls were paper thin you could even hear cases been zipped up from next door and you can hear doors banging late into the night very very loud .... There are 5 restaurants to eat at 1) the Mexican (disgusting) 2) Brazilian (eadable) 3) gourmet (amazing) but only open twice a week 4) the Buffett ( ok for the first week but gets a bit repetitive ) 5) the snack bar (the worst by far)... However the staff throughout the resort was by far the best I have ever come across all very friendly and nothing too much trouble and the entertainment staff where outstanding especially Hector he was hilarious and totally made it.... Also if you travel with Thomsons the holiday rep VIcky who is English but lived there for 12 years was fantastic, went the extra mile on and above and even arranged a birthday surprise for my other half. However be fully aware that when visiting the island you really must do the excursions otherwise it will be a very boring holiday as you are unable to leave the resort as there is no where to go without getting hassled or feeling safe but the excursions of offer are fantastic I highly recommend paradise island, ocean world and defiantly the safari to see how the locals live..... Overall a fantastic one off experience that will leave you so relaxed if not too relaxed but also an amazing experience., glad I got chance to go but a one off holiday .

Room Tip: Upgrade your room and book excursions... Stay away from boiled food ie potatoes and rice (due to illness)
2  Thank Tracy S
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Be Live Grand Marien for a week, 6th - 13th May.
Not really applicable to the hotel, but we flew from London with Thomson and we thought the flight was great, as were the in-flight films, and even the food wasn't that terrible! Our rep, Vicky, was lovely and very helpful, and she made herself available to us for the duration of our stay.

The hotel is nice - people seem to forget that a 4 or 5 star in Dominican terms is not the same as a 4 or 5 star in other parts of the world. I've been to Punta Cana before and it seemed to be on a par with the hotel I stayed in there. All the rooms and restaurants are very open and airy, and furnished well.
Upon arrival, and after a very long trip, we were extremely grateful for the strawberry non-alcoholic cocktail slushy thing we were given! The bellboys then took our luggage, and delivered it to our room about half an hour later. We were in a Superior room in block 9, first floor, room 9122. The room was very nice - there were parts that could've been better maintained (a couple of stains on blankets, a dirty light etc) but overall it was pretty good. The massive bed was lovely! We pretty much had a lovely sea-view (even though we didn't pay the extra) and were very happy with this room. Our fridge was filled with 2x beer, 1x Sprite and 1x Coke, as well as a large bottle of water. On the first day, I tipped the maid a few dollars and asked for an extra bottle of water. Each day she then gave us two, and on the penultimate day, she gave us 6 beers, which my partner was very happy about!

The beach was very nice. It wasn't the white sands and clear turquoise waters of Punta Cana, but it was a lovely escape from rainy old England! There were plenty of loungers and shade available, and the beach always appeared to be clean.

We were relatively lucky with weather - of the 7 days we were there, we had (if I remember correctly) 3 days of pure scorching sunshine, 3 days of lovely sunny mornings with clouds in the afternoon, and 1 day that was rainy and overcast for the whole day. On that day, we chose to wander down to the market just down the beach. If you spend any time at all on the beach, you will soon become accustomed to the vendors coming up to you trying to get you to visit. It isn't so much a 'market' in British terms, more several empty rooms with a lot of touristy things in there. When we went down there, we were the only tourists in the whole place and the shop owners were all competing for our attention. Just be aware if you do visit, it might be quite intimidating for some people.

The food was ok. Unfortunately we never got round to booking in any of the restaurants (too lazy to leave our loungers!), so I can only comment on the buffet. There was an ok choice, although very small in comparison to other hotel buffets I've seen. The food was quite tasty and dessert was especially good! However, unfortunately my partner got ill on the final day and we are fairly sure it was due to a 'chicken croquette'... we can't be 100%, but we are certain that chicken should never come in a liquified form!!

The staff we encountered were all brilliant. We especially got along with Danny Boy, and Quentin (from the pool bar). They all seemed to love their job, and it really showed. We were involved with a few of the activities, and they are really fun and good to take part in.

My only issue with the whole wonderful week sadly seems to be similar to other people's, which is the locals that descend on the resort at the weekend. Some arrive on Friday, others on Saturday - but the majority of them seem to leave on Sunday afternoon. The rest of the week had been so lovely and quiet, but at the weekend, the population of the resort seemed to triple. We were packed in at the buffet, and there were Dominicans drinking quite a lot and being noisy whist we just wanted to chill out. I don't want to tar all of them with the same brush as I'm sure there were plenty of locals there to just chill out and have a nice time, but unfortunately the only ones that we noticed were the rowdy ones! We were very surprised at the fact a lot of the locals were extremely rude to the staff, especially the bartenders and waiters who were being so nice to us all week. On the Saturday night, we were also woken at about 3am by a lady shouting in Spanish at the top of her voice in our block, followed by about ten ridiculously loud screams which sounded like they were right outside our room! That was the only disturbance we encountered, but it was pretty disturbing!

Overall, I would recommend the Be Live, but I would suggest upgrading to a superior room as the blocks (especially block 9) seem to be the newest and nicest. I would also say to be prepared for the locals at the weekend and book the restaurants. But mostly enjoy the lovely sea sun and sand!

Room Tip: Block 9 is closest to the beach. Upgrade to a superior room if possible.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Dear Mr./ Mrs.:

We would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Be Live Grand Marien for your vacation, as well as for letting us know about your recent experience through this web site.

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and you may rest assured that your comments have been forwarded to the various Departments of the Hotel.

Thank you for your kindness comments, wish are very important for us, since they helps us to improve on our services. At the same time we would also like to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experienced during your stay; your comments for the appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

Please receive our warm regards from Dominican Republic, has been a pleasure to serve you.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

4/29/13--5/13/13 My Husband & I try to travel to All inclusives every 6 months,& try hotels, and when we see a Good deal at one that we have been to already and liked , we have no problem returning, and thats what we did at the Be Live,our last time we there /was in Nov which was great& our return trip in May was even Better then the First Time. Both times we stayed there, we were there for 2weeks, which really gives us an oppurtunity to get to know the area & the people. They remembered us & treated us like family, expecially my Husband who is built like a WWF Wrestler, they Called him "Mr. Unbelievable'!
Checking in was fairly simple, since we just missed the Mad Rush of locals that were leaving from the week-end,and they put us in building 8 by the pool as we requested.
Restaurants were all good and so was the Buffets, Especially Breakfast with eggs any way you want , & my day always started with a delicious fresh fruit smoothie, Celiea always made for me with a smile.
They all work so hard trying to please you, and leaving a tip only shows your appreciation for the special things they do , Our room was always cleaned and replenished with what was needed, such as coffee,sugar, water,soda, Clean towels,,, Nothing was ever stolen from our rooms either time we went,which totals 4weeks.
A Special Thank-you to Melvin & Regie, They are hardworking bartenders, especially on the week-ends when the Locals come and they are rude to the workers.
If you are a Snob, I would not recommend this place, but if you appreciate the Dominican Culture,Love a Beautiful Beach, Huge clean swimming pool,clean comfortable rooms, and good food & Drinks, you won't be disappointed.
The Only Down side we experienced was, we were NOT ABLE to recieve any phone calls in our room from the USA,. My Husband said that ,most likely it was because they only make money if we call out!

Room Tip: Poolside Blg8 is what we had, & we were not bothered by noise and we were very close to everything.
1  Thank silkstockings226
Reviewed 23 May 2013

My stay started on the 6th of may to the 20th of may. The trip started with a pleasent coach ride to the hotel, where the porter would grab ur bags before u can say hola! (Wanting a tip of course) which is good of course! But they took a good 45 mins to bring your bags to your room! Which ain't good when all u want is the swimming shorts cus ur so hot! But oh well! Room was ok, but that bloody maid leaves all the doors open everyday so u have a daily fight with the Mosquitos in your room each night when u return it is very annoying over two weeks! She cleaned well though! Always towels available more if needed! Don't ever leave anything on ur balcony cus when all those Dominicans come at the weekend there eyeing up your stuff! We had a towel bikini and a pair of trainers taken so be aware! They are also annoying and always getting in your way! When there about choose ur dinner times wisely! The buffet food was pretty standard all inclusive food, plenty of choice but even though they have different themes each night a lot of the food was the same, the Brazilian Mexican and gourmet restaurants were good in there own way better quality but less choice! Good idea to book those at the weekends when the Dominicans come to town! Most staff were friendly apart from one girl who blatantly lied to me, (that's another story) but if u don't tip they don't really want to know you! But if u take an interest in them personally they are really nice people! I have to give a special mention to Maria of the restaurant staff! She was so kind! Also the entertainment staff were a great bunch of fun especially hector Cortes! What a legend! Ask him to do a Michael Jackson moon walk! Guarantees you a laugh! Danaury aka Danny boy and julio were great fun to! Always up for a laugh and full of games all day long if u like that sort of thing! There not gagging for tips like the rest of them to! They do there job well and look after you however you need them! Good bunch of lads! Finally this is the sort of trip to go on for plenty of sun fun and food for how much we paid its a good poor mans Barbados! Your never guna get the best cus ur in the Dominican Republic exactly what I expected!

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Barney5gs

Dear Mrs. Mr.:

We greatly appreciate your time for sharing with us and all Trip Advisor readers your experience at the Be Live Grand Marien; we would also like to thank you for your selection.

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We thank you for your kindness comments!!! They are very important for us, since we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion, definitely they helps us to improve on our services. At Marien guest satisfaction is our top priority.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experienced during your stay; your comments for the appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

Please receive our best greetings from Dominican Republic, has been a pleasure to serve you, and of course, will be marvelous to welcome you back at the hotel.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

I went to this all inclusive resort in February with 5 of my friends. I was extremely disappointed with this hotel except for how beautiful the beaches were. We were the only group of single girls there and everyone stared at us like we were a piece of meat or something from out of this world. Everyone staying at the hotel was either a couple or family and made us feel uncomfortable for being with our friends. We are a respectable group of girls and did not make a lot of noise or anything but everyone stared at us because we were American.

The restaurants were ok (my favorites were the Mexican and Brazilian steakhouse) but the buffett didn't really have great food or have good snack options. We got this hotel from a Groupon and we weren't expecting much but it even let down our expectations. I have gone on many trips with Groupon and this was by far the most disappointing trip. I wasn't impressed with the "fun event" staff either. Many of the guys would stare at us and lick their lips which made us extremely uncomfortable. Also, the majority of the activities during the day were only for guys such as water polo and basketball, The only event I saw for girls was the Miss Bikini contest and that was even a disturbing sight to see. I am extremely glad that I didn't have any young children watching that show.

I was also completely appalled by the lack of towel service at the hotel. They provided you with one towel for the beach to use for the entire day. If you did not return the towel before 6, then you could not get a new towel for the next day. This wouldn't usually bother me but I like to switch towels when I go from ocean to pool since they are usually sandy and gross from the ocean. I was very upset by this "policy" after using my towel at the waterfall and asking for a new one because I wasn't sure how clean the water was and wanted a new towel to sit on for the rest of the day. Also, they only give you one towel a day for you to use to shower which they take from your room in the early morning (around 9 or 10 am) and don't return until around 4 or 5 PM. I presume they were washing all of the towels and then putting them back in the rooms once they were done.

I was also shocked that they did not make blended drinks. I have never been to a resort where a pina colada is coconut juice poured over ice with vodka or rum mixed in. I was looking forward to sipping a refreshing cold drink by the pool/beach but instead had ice drinks. The mini-bars in the rooms were also a complete joke. There was one coke, one sprite, and one beer.. WHOOHOO

The rooms weren't very nice either. In the staff's defense, they were "clean" but there was visible mold in lots of the corners and paint was peeling off the walls. The rooms were musty and smelly but you couldn't even open the screen door to try to air it out because the doors don't have screens so all of the bugs come rushing in. The staff was not receptive to our complaints either. Our "neighbors" had their music blaring for HOURS and weren't even in their room. I called the front desk around 11 PM the second night of continuous music and they told me they would address it. The music was blaring so loudly that I couldn't sleep even with ear plugs in. The security showed up at the room about an hour later and told me they couldn't do anything about the music because the guests had a "do not disturb" sign up. I was furious because even though they had it up, they were disturbing US and preventing us from sleeping. Around 2 AM the guests were finally brought back to their room by security and told to turn the music down which only lasted a few minutes and then the process began all over again. It was terrible and management really didn't seem to care.

Pros: beautiful beaches and can go on long beach walks but be prepared to be harassed by people trying to sell you things
The guy at the reservation desk was extremely helpful both in booking dinners at the restaurants and also booking excursions
VERY CLOSE TO THE WATERFALLS!!!! Must do excursion with the 27 waterfalls

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank linds1111

Dear Mss:

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your impressions of your recent stay with us through this web site. Thank you for selecting our Be Live Grand Marien for vacationing at the Dominican Republic.

We appreciate your comments since they help us to improve on our services.
In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion.

We understand that there is always room for improvement, your comments for the appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

ATT: