“Beautiful Holiday in Paradise”

Be Live Collection Marien
Ranked #9 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Toronto, Canada
“Beautiful Holiday in Paradise”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed with my gf between May 12th to May 19th. Truly was an unbelievable experience. The weather was great, if it rained it was for 20 minutes and then clear skies. The food and drinks were good, not the best for vegetarians or vegans but I loved the Mexican Restaurant. The beach and pool are truly beautiful. The excursions are incredible, including Los 27 Charcos de Damajagua (Waterfalls), the cable car up to Mount Isabel de Torres and the area, and Paradise Island. On the resort and the surrounding area it is appreciated if you know some basic Spanish. Although what made the trip special was all the wonderful staff at the resort, from the room staff, to the cleaners, to the waiters and chefs and the animacion team. Miguel Angelo, Alberto, Dany Boy, Luis and especially Hector have such a great time, always smiling and are very hard working. The whole staff at the resort are incredible and we tried to tip all of them, it's a good idea to take lots of one dollar US bills for tips. I'm surprised that more guests were not tipping the staff, we didn't bother wasting our time speaking to other tourists as you will learn so much more from the staff and the people of the Republica Dominicana. This island is so vast in natural resources anyone can live off the natural fruits of the island.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 252Chris
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Custumer:

We greatly appreciate your nice comments, which are very important for us, since they help us to improve on our services. Thank you for having shared your experience through this web site and at the same time our gratitude for your selection to enjoy your vacations in the Dominican Republic.

At Be Live Grand Marien we are highly pleased for having had the opportunity to offer you our services and to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, it is fantastic.

Once more, thank you for your valuable comments. We do hope to have the opportunity to serve you here at our Be Live Grand Marien.

The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We brought our toddler to this resort in May 2014, and I have nothing bad to say about it! The price was very affordable and it was amazing value.

Location / Grounds:
The location is amazing. While you're at the pool (and anywhere at the resort, you have a great view of the mountains in the background, which makes it very unique. The grounds were well maintained, but not meticulously clean like I have seen at other resorts. Fallen leaves were left on the ground, which is not at all an inconvenience.

Beach:
The beach was cleaned daily, and it was very clean. There was some seaweed in the ocean that you can easily avoid when swimming (you can see it from the shore). The wind does pick up a little in the afternoon (nothing major), so the mornings are the best time to be on the beach. For those who complain about the condition and maintenance of the beach, I have posted a YouTube video that compares the beach to an unmaintained beach (on the way to the Puerto Plata market). http://youtu.be/HH3akyEHuMk

Pool:
The pool is big and very clean and enjoyable. Although there is no swim up bar, there is a nice pool bar that is easily accessible. The "zero entry" feature is neat, so you can walk into the pool as you would the ocean! Here is a link to my YouTube video that shows the pool: http://youtu.be/5w-rhgdZJ0Y

Restaurants:
The buffet is decent and the omelette bar in the morning was the best part! The selection at the buffet wasn't huge, but I didn't travel in the busy season and only half of the buffet was being used, so maybe there will be more options in busier times. The snack bar was great and very consistent. The Mexican a la carte was good, but not to the point where I would consider it a highlight of my trip. The Brazilian a la carte was incredible, and I recommend everyone to try it out (if you like meat), Such a neat experience where the waiters bring various meats to your table . The gourmet restaurant was pretty small and crowded, however the steak is absolutely incredible! Here is a video of walkthroughs for all of the restaurants (except for gourmet): http://youtu.be/j5WDr8GdJYE

Rooms:
I stayed in a Superior Deluxe room and I'm glad I did! The room was perfect and I have absolutely no complaints. We were in building 9 (newer building) on the 3rd floor, and our garden view was great. To the right, we saw the ocean, to the left we saw the mountains, and straight ahead we could often see local children running and cows roaming the public grounds (fenced away from resort, don't worry). YouTube walkthrough of a Superior Deluxe room:

Last, but CERTAINLY not least, the staff at this resort are their competitive edge. I've been to the Domincan Republic several times, and the staff at this hotel were the best. The maid was amazing and personable, who taught me Spanish as I left the room. So many great bartenders at all of the bars, especially the snack bar. But who really stood out was the entertainment team. They are doing an amazing job, and do so much more than the nightly entertainment shows. They make efforts to connect with you and it makes you feel like family to them. All of them were incredible and paid so much attention to our toddler, which made us really enjoy ourselves. The most impactful member of staff, in my opinion, is Luis from entertainment / activities. Luis connected with us on day 1 and even though he's evidently a very busy man, he always made time to play with our son Mason, and to really make us feel important. He and is entertainment team are what will bring us back to this hotel, and I feel like if he were to change resorts, we will follow him. Amazing rapport building, you'll see when you get there!

In summary, I would definitely recommend this resort to people travelling on a budget. It isn't a huge resort and we certainly feel like 1 week let us experience is all, but the fact that it is smaller, allows it to feel more personable.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Superior Deluxe at time of booking. The rooms are well worth the upgrade and we saved a t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Eric M
Dear Customer:

First of all, we would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Be Live Grand Marien for your vacation, as well as for sharing your recent experience through this web site.

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed every single area from the Hotel. We appreciate your compliments, are very important for us, since they helps us to improve on our services.

Once more time, thank you !!! We do hope to have a second opportunity to welcome you at our Be Live Grand Marien.

Please receive our warm regards from the Dominican Republic, has been a pleasure to serve you.

Mississauga
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I recently spent 2 weeks at the above mentioned resort ( May 6th -May 20th )and I can still feel the great hospitality that was afforded to me.
My flight arrived early and I was at the front desk at 12 o clock , Check in time was 3 pm. The room that was reserved for me was not ready so I was given another room. I quickly took a shower and went to lunch. I give the Front Desk an A rating for this gesture.

The Buffet Banquet was more than delightful with food to suit every palate, Vegetarian ,Meat and Seafood. Pasta was in abundance . For Breakfast ,Lunch and Dinner the meals were Par Excellence. The Girls that attended the tables were very friendly and they made sure your glass was always filled with wine or water. The Hostess that led me to my Table was also of very good manners .I will not mention any names as I was treated very good by everyone I am afraid I will forget a name and They would never let me live it down. .Carlos the Manager and I had many chats after Dinner.I give the Meals and Service an Excellent Rating.

Housekeeping is also very important , Clean Room and clean Towels every day by 3 pm. I discovered the towels are changed when you are out for Breakfast and the bed and room is cleaned a bit later. I find this to be a perfect arrangement Housekeeping in my opinion was Excellent.

The Grounds were always clean so as the swimming Pool. Around the Pool you will always be certain of getting a lounge chair to lie and have a nap in the shade.
If you love to drink you are never far from a bar, Pool Bar, Beach Bar, Lobby Bar . Drinks can flow like water.At the beach bar you can also get meals during the day.
Nightly entertainment is very good Try to see the Michael Jackson show it is incredible.and Dance the night away in the Disco. On the Pool deck you can get daily entertainment,

I can say so many positive things of this resort and I can see why it is a 5 star resort. You will not regret the time you spend there. Everyone goes all out to make sure you had an enjoyable stay. For those reading this I was the Guy wearing the Las Vegas Baseball cap

Room Tip: All rooms are suitably laid out no good or bad rooms . The Buildings are 3 story building You may...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Alvin b
Dear Mr./Mrs.

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and you may rest assured that your comments have been forwarded to the various Departments of the Hotel.

Please receive our warm regards from Dominican Republic, has been a pleasure to serve you.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

this was my 1st time to Dominican republic and it was great.... hotel brilliant very clean rooms clean every day and towels changed every day aswell. pool brilliant clean and cold which is what you want out there.. restaurant staff great and food was awesome... staff... well what can i say....... brilliant... hector Danny mosquito( just to name a few.).made the holiday played water polo as 1 of their activities and never got back out the pool as they were having such fun....

going to try and go back in a few years so hopefully see you all again...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Clarepj
Dear customer:

We also appreciate your compliments to our staff, as it is due to their effort and dedication that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We travelled here in 2013 in October for a friends wedding.

This is a great and clean hotel. The staff are so very friendly and they were very helpful for Paul and Ashleys wedding... Although, they spelled it "weeding". lol

The pool was clean and beautiful. Lots of bars to crab drinks, a la carte's were very good. The whole vacation we perfect. I've been to POP many times, this was one of the best yet.

Hotel rooms are clean and comfortable. Beds are nice and AC works well. Food was average but I've had far worse. There was a small medical emergency which would have cost us 200.00us at the clinic on site. We opted to head into Puerto Plata to emergency for 25us for the cab and 25us at emerg. We had a great time seeing the sites and being in emergency. They took good care of us and I chatted with the locals as best as I could while my friend got a needle in the bum.

The staff are friendly and always helpful. You could swim in the pool into the weee hours of the morning. First time I've seen that in POP.

Room Tip: Away from the pool for less noise
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Stephen M
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Mr. /Mrs.

Markham, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We went here as a group of family and friends. It was our first time in an all inclusive resort. The entertainers (Miguel, Alberto, Hector, and Danny) were great! Luis, was also great at interacting with us, and ensuring that we had a good time. The entertainers played ping pong with us, and water polo. It was their involvement in our vacation that made it memorable. They put on great shows every night. Karaoke wasn't as fun as we hoped due to the lack of new songs/ popular songs. The karaoke list definitely needs to be updated. Our favourite show was probably "The Dominican Show" or "The Mystery Castle". The beach party was also really great because of the fire show they had. It was funny and pretty cool to watch. We expected the weather to be terrible because of all the forecasts we read, but when we got there the sun was shining all day. The rooms were also really nice, and cleaned thoroughly every day. The maid did an impeccable job. The Brazilian and Mexican restaurants were great. The gourmet wasn't as great, and the service at this restaurant was really slow. We waited near 30 minutes for our meal to arrive. We arrived on a Monday, which is probably the ideal day to land since all the town people would have left by then, those that come for the weekend. The weekend gets really busy, lots of locals come in, the buffet is packed, and so is the pool. Five days would not be enough time to enjoy, ideal time would be seven to ten days. Overall this was the best vacation we have ever been on. The entertainers really did their job to allow this trip to be great.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor, it was easy access to get in and out, especially with our suitcases. W...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Daffne93
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Mr. /Mrs.:

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your impressions of your recent stay with us, through this web site. We thank you for your kindness comments, wish are very important for us, since they helps us to improve on our services. Has been a pleasure for us to welcome you at the Be Live Grand Marien.

It is truly nice for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and you may rest assured that your comments have been forwarded to the various Departments of the Hotel.

Please receive our warmest regards from Dominican Republic, looking forward to see very soon.

Terrebonne, Canada
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The staff was really great, I have a lot of fun with us. This was the best vacation I have had. Danawry Soto Santos, Still Stan, Victor and Mmiguel was great!! They made our experience Wonderfull!! The hotel was so beautifull I could not have asked for better. The fodd was fabulous, i never eat like that.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

ClubHotel Riu Merengue
#13 of 41 in Puerto Plata
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only
Grand Bahia Principe San Juan

Been to Be Live Collection Marien? Share your experiences!