“Second time = EVEN BETTER”

Wise Mountain Retreat
More attraction details
Owner description: Wise Mountain Retreat offers a unique opportunity to explore the tropics of the Dominican Republic. Our trail riding company has been offering horse tours for 28 years. We are one of the oldest in the country. Our horses are healthy and well cared for. Our trails pass through the many sides of the country. Riding into the mountains then through the river you will be in awe of the breath taking scenery. It is a peaceful and very relaxing ride that have our customers falling in love with the country as we have. Your morning starts out with fresh made Dominican coffee as we learn about your horse experience, then once we have matched your horse to your experience we hit the trails. There are stops along the way where you get the chance to sample fresh fruit from some of the many tropical fruits along the way. You will have a chance to swim in the river, it's a great way to cool off and enjoy more of the countryside. Once back at the ranch you will get to sample some fresh made herbal iced teas, using herbs grown from our garden as well as some refreshing fruit. If you chose to have a full day ride you will enjoy a delicious Dominican style lunch of chicken, rice, beans and fried plantains. Then it's back on the horses for a tour of the local village to experience the cultural side of the country. We are so excited to have our guest rooms ready for guests. We have packages now for those wishing to get a more complete horse experience. We have romantic package available for those just wanting a special evening. A late afternoon ride to see the beginning of the sunset in the surrounding hills, then back to the ranch for a romantic dinner to watch the sunset. Then a quiet evening on the ranch, in the morning enjoy a full trail ride. For those wanting to spend their full vacation around horses we have that too. We give you the chance to groom, help out with the care of our horses, ride and even get Natural Horsemanship lessons. We include all of your meals, transport to and from the airport and trips to town or the beach. We also have a therapeutic spa so you can receive some much needed healing. Please feel free to contact us if you have anymore questions or are interested in booking a package.
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We booked our trip to Puerto Plata this year, and as soon as confirming the flights we were emailing Leslie to book our trip to Rancho Montana (Wise Mountain Retreat). We were there in May 2013 and did the half day trip. The only bad part about that one was that it ended! We came back this year and did the full day trip with lunch. The lunch was a delicious traditional Dominican meal.

Everyone going to Puerto Plata should make sure they book this trip! It's an incredible experience for the small price!

Reviewed 24 May 2014

This review is about 2 years late, but better late than never, right?

This was easily one of the greatest experiences I have ever had. As soon as I was picked up from the hotel, I felt warmth and hospitality from Leslie. The horses are extremely well taken care of, the couple who owns the stables are nothing but gracious hosts, and the guides are fantastic. My partner and I were lucky enough to be the only riders that day, so we got to ride at a faster pace - which we loved! Part way through, the guides provide you with fresh coconut water, coconut flesh, and they allow you time to swim in the waters that you also get to ride through. When you return, you are greeted with refreshments and fresh fruit. Don't forget to bring a little cash to tip your guides at the end of your journey! They truly deserve it.

It was simply incredible, and the very best part of our stay in Puerto Plata. I would recommend Rancho Montana to anybody and everybody.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

We went to DR for my mom's 60th birthday and she really wanted to experience horseback riding. I just happened to stumble upon Rancho Montana online and after emailing Leslie, I was very impressed with how friendly she was so I scheduled our ride for 4. Our guides were very personable (Piepito and Chanel). If you are looking for a touristy ride on the beach, this is not for you. This trip is 100x times better. You are able to see the real Dominican Republic but going up a mountain and then riding along and in the river. Be prepared with your shoes because at some points you will be up to your knees in the river, but at that point it feels great. The horses are very well trained and I never once feared for my safety and this was my first time on a horse. The lunch we had was so good and it was nice that Leslie sat and ate with us and even prepared a cake for my mom's birthday. I would definitely recommend this trip to anyone looking for a real horseback riding trip through the countryside.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

I was with a large group at Monkey Jungle when I met Leslie. She told my friend and I all about her ranch. It sounded amazing and after talking to the rest of our group, we booked the trip and we are so glad that we did. The ranch itself is beautiful, the horses well fed and taken care of and the rest of the "animal" family members, 6 dogs and 6 cats, very sweet ! Her gardens are amazing also ! The horses were matched to us based on skill and the ride was more than I could have even expected. The trails are fairly smooth and the view of the mountains, amazing. At the top of the mountain, we stopped for some cold water and fresh oranges before continuing through more trails and rivers. When we returned to the ranch several hours later, we were greeted with a wonderful lunch ! The ride was more amazing than I could have ever imagined and at one point on the ride I remember thinking "how lucky am I to have had this blessed opportunity. Leslie, the guides and ranch staff are a great group of people and we are so lucky to have met them all ! We return to the Dominican yearly and this will be a yearly visit for sure !

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Thank you for this wonderful and memorable experience!
We took a family vacation to DR in February of 2014 with out two kids aged 9 and 14. This excursion was a highlight of out trip. As we had riders of different abilities (ranging from the first time rider to an intermediate beginner), we opted for a half day ride (about 2.5 - 3 hours.) The total cost for 4 riders was $232. We rode through a couple of small villages, traversed the river at the foot of the mountain and stopped at a little swimming hole (we had so much fun jumping into the cool river from a big boulder!) We even came upon a small village school with two classrooms which we were able to tour. We had to come back the next day to deliver supplies and books as this school had about 10-15 books in their library.
To sum it up, this was totally off the beaten path, intimate and non-commercialized experience. Can't wait to go back and I would highly recommend it!