“great for a relaxing break” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Puerto Plata Village Resort

Puerto Plata Village Resort
Ranked #36 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Paris, France
“great for a relaxing break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2008

We have stayed at this hotel twice now and have not been disappointed.

The staff are friendly, helpful and multilingual. On our second stay, our room was automatically upgraded. The entertainment staff are also friendly, if slightly amateurish - but that just adds to the charm. A local dive school has a sales desk by the pool and also handles the beach towels (they lend you a clean towel per person every day and even accepted to swap our wet towels for dry ones when we got caught in a downpour). We went diving with them and found them very professional. We also went on the catamaran day cruise to Sosua to snorkel and had a great time.

The food was varied and good. There is a buffet restaurant, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner with a range of dishes served in self-service dishes and a grill bar where the staff prepare one or two dishes per meal on demand. The beach bar and restaurant is open for lunch and drinks until 6 and has a reduced version of the buffet menu on offer. Pizzas and hotdogs are served at 4 and 10pm if you are still hungry (which we never were). They also have three à la carte restaurants (chinese, mexican and italian), and as part of the all-inclusive formula you can eat in each one once. We enjoyed the mexican restaurant but the chinese restaurant is not worth a visit. The italian restaurant was closed during our stay.

The hotel's private beach area is clean and pleasant. We walked along the beach pas other hotels and thought that our hotel had the best beach. The only disadvantage is that you have to take a 5 minute golf-caddy ride (or a 10 minute walk) to get there.

The hotel is on a complex with several other hotels, a casino and a shopping centre. They will lend you bokes to use on the complex and you can get the local "bus" from just outside the main gates. Make sure that you confirm the price with one of the hotel staff before you leave as when you get on the bus, people will try to tell you that it is more expensive. When we were there, a trip to Puerto Plata was 20 dominican dollars. One driver tried to charge us much more but we stood our ground and he gave up (the fact that we both speak Spanish probably helped).

The Dominican Republic is not a destination that I would choose for a cultural visit but if you are looking to chill out and drink (free) cocktails, you can do a lot worse than the Puerto Plata Village.

• Liked — variety in restaurant, friendly staff
  • Disliked — limited comfort in rooms
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lnverte

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2008

Had a fantastic time. I was there from March 4 to 18, 2008. I spent my first week in a small town and then ended up at the resort from my taxi driver. Everyone was so friendly. From the staff at the front desk (Julio) to the bartenders (Ambiorix). Food was good and rooms were great. Will be going back next year to hook up with all the great people I met. Was sad to have to go back to the rain in Vancouver.

Stayed March 2008
Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2008

I absolutely loved staying at Puerto Plata Village, it was a great experience for my whole family. Whether I was splashing in the waves or sipping non-alcoholic pina coladas (yeah not allowed to drink real ones yet), I was having the time of my life. The facilities were great, the service was sensational, I loved swimming in the pool and getting my hair beaded, and the food was outstanding. The meal was a different theme every night, you could eat downstairsin the buffet, or if you prefered something a bit more formal you could change out of your swimsuit and eat upstairs in the resturaunt. I enjoyed the shows that were put on every night, there was dancing, and singing, and even more. On the beach the little shops where I bargained for prices had many things that were great for souvenirs and gifts for people back home. I absolutely reccoment that you book a reservation here... it could change your life.

Stayed April 2007
1 Thank beaconbeaconbeacon
Reykjavik, Iceland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2008

I stayed with my wife at the PPV and here is a sum of our experience:
a) The resort is 17 years old, and looks that maintenance hes been less than average.
b) The Resort is however, well kept and cleanliness is quite good.
c) The staff is great very friendly and the activities team is busy all day ( and night )long to entertain guests.
d) Food was very good, one buffet and three "themed" restaurants where you had to book in advance - All of the quite resonable altough i liked the mexican the best.
e) Overall a fine stay at PPV - altough i recommend a "half full glass" approach to the place. P.S. I don´t know why they attach tha Spa name on Tripadvisor, the hotel real name is short of that.

• Liked — People friendly
  • Disliked — Maintenance is low.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
montreal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2008

Stayed feb 15 until 22nd. We arrived their at around 5 . Check in was quick. A bartender was ready on hand with an international bar. We received help to our rooms. We were 4 people and had 2 rooms so we requested that we be in the same villa. To bad they put us all the way at the end of the resort. Walk into the room, room smelt horribly..i guess you get used to it by the 3rd day. Rooms needed a lot of work done, but i mean...we really only used our room to sleep and shower so cant complain. The bathroom was clean, came with 2 water bottles ( save those water bottles so you can refill them at the bars).
We had read previous reviews that its a 20 minute beach walk.not true. even tho the shuttle comes often we would walk it ( take 5 minutes). No need to bring your own towel, they replace them as often as you want. The beach was beautiful, the entertainers are there during the day . The grill at the beach is not great. The bar tender at the beach is also pretty rude. I have to say tho, all in all the beach part of the hotel is beautiful,water clear, no seaweed.
The entertainment group is the only reason why i would come back. These guys work from 10 in the morning till 11 at night and are always full of energy. We feel in love with Popeye. He was the best. DYLAN was also the best.
Dario at the pool bar! best bartender, nicest one there. The one near the pool tables..there all pretty rude.
The bartender at the reception is very nice i forget his name.but the nicest bartender in the whole joint.
The club ambroise is pretty boring. everyone goes to mangu right across the street.
The buffet food isn't the best, but you can manage. Make sure you wake up at 7 30 to book for the a la carte resto. The chinese was horrible..but i have to say the Italian restaurant was very good.
Even tho the pool was being cleaned often, it was always filled with little bugs..not the best thing.so we didnt swim in the pool often,
This place is fun if your a big gang of people going on a budget, but other than that never again.

• Liked — the entertainment group!
  • Disliked — the locals that act as if we shouldnt be in their country
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2008

My sister Janette and I stayed at PPV between Feb 8 to 15th 2008.

Because of the price ($730CDN) I was a little skepticle about this resort but am happy to say that I had no reason to be.

We had a wonderful time with no complaints at all.

Our room had a balcony (which I would totally recommend) and was kept very clean by the maid service. We always had hot water and never had a problem with the air. However, at night it cooled down quite a bit so we very rarely used the air while sleeping.

We didn't check into the hotel until around midnight but instead of heading right to bed my sister and I headed right to the bar.
The cocktails are international meaning they pretty much had anything you wanted. Big difference from a resort we stayed at in Cuba which only had rum. Bartenders were always friendly and I loved the fresh juice! Mmmm..
This was a good start to the vacation!

The food in the buffet was fine. There was always a selection so if you didn't like something you did not have to worry about going hungry. We also enjoyed the al la carte restaurants. My faverite was the Mexican. The service in this resort was impeccable. The wait staff was always taking unwanted items off the table.

The pool was large and we never had a problem finding deck chairs. I did bring my own beach towel but there was really no need to. The beach and shopping was a five minutes (if that) drive away but if you didn't want to walk there was always shuttles going back and fourth. I loved the Ocean!

The animation team were so much fun and went out of their way to make sure everyone had a great time. Popeye (el-blanco- chiquita) ....we loved you! The annimation team were the entertainment! The karoke night was a lot of fun!

All in all this was a wonderful time for my sister and I.
The people were amazing and we met a lot of great friends there as well. Joslyn and Andrew, our trip wouldn't have been the same without you guys! But Andrew, one day I will win that game .... Chef (dont thinkI spelled that right) and Dorothy, it was an absolute pleasure! You were also a wonderful addition to our trip. If you read this please write a review on here and leave us your contact information so we can forward pictures.
(We lost you e-amail.......oops)

In closing I would like to say that both my sister and I would most definitely return to PPV and anyone heading to PPV, all I can say is that Im jealous!

Karen Nelson

• Liked — the pool and the people
  • Stayed February 2008
2 Thank 635766
Allanburg, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2008

What a time !!! We have just returned home from a wonderful vacation. The ride from the airport is about 20 minutes, it stops at hotels along the way. Once you arrive, you are greeted by staff and the night bartender serves you with a refreshing juice. You then check in at the desk and get your bracelets. You can get a ock for your room safe for 20.00 u.s.. They take you to your room on a little cart and they even carried our bags to the room. The rooms were very nice and clean. Beautiful balcony with two doors to swing open. Hair dryer is provided and shampoo and soap. they are nice to use. You can brush your teeth with tap water if you like, we did no problem. The food was okay, different then home of course but we managed. Pool and bar areas very nice, at times pool could have floating buds fromt he trees but nothing to complain about. The staff were great, very friendly, always smiling. The animation team were so funny, really enjoyed them. Popeye, Efrain,Kojack, and yes Romy.....he was fantastic. He made our trip the best. We would go back just cause of him......You can make your own fun, or join in theirs and you will have a great time...My family did. Thanks again, Romy I will never forget you.....Janet G. Allanburg,Ontario

• Liked — Air condition room was great, rooms very clean
  • Disliked — dressers, need more room for clothes
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#4 of 41 in Puerto Plata
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,246 reviews

Been to Puerto Plata Village Resort? Share your experiences!