“Life Changing Experience”

Dove Missions Voluntourism - 1-Day Volunteer with Youth
Ranked #12 of 48 Tours in Puerto Plata
More attraction details
Owner description: Dove Missions is a non-profit organization that offers a safe & organized way to volunteer with youth while vacationing in the Dominican Republic. We have 140 children enrolled in our programs and offer 15 educational and vocational classes. Typical 1-day Volunteer Itinerary: - 9am: Pick-up at Hotel - 10am: Activity at the youth center - 12pm: Lunch - 1pm: Visit typical neighborhoods where the kids live - 2pm: Activity at the youth center - 4pm: Debrief and drop-off at hotel
Reviewed 21 May 2014

In February of 2014 I spent 5 days volunteering with Dove Missions. What a life changing experience. One of the first things you will experience while volunteering is the amount of love you will recieve from the kids and staff. We recieved so many hugs!!! In a place where there is so little you will walk away with the biggest gift.
Each day Martina picked us up at our hotel and brought us to the club. While there we participated in bible and english classes. The kids love to hear stories and the little girls love to read to each other. We were there for Valentines Day and spent the day making cards and crafts with the kids.
As a way of giving back we threw a party for the kids on Saturday. We had so much fun. Chips, pop, cake and music. We couldn't of asked for a better day.
I enjoyed our time so much I am now planning another trip back for February 2015. I can't wait to see all the kids and my sponsored child. My heart just smiles thinking of the great time we had. This is a must do while visiting the DR.

3  Thank Jennifer T
DoveMissions, Public Relations Manager at Dove Missions Voluntourism - 1-Day Volunteer with Youth, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2015

Jennifer,

Thank you so much for coming to volunteer with Dove and for writing such a kind review of your time with us! And we absolutely agree - our kids have so much love to give and we're so glad you were able to join us while in the Dominican!

Our heart smiles when we think about our club, too!

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Spent a day volunteering with my sister. We were picked up at our hotel early in the morning and greeted by two lovely ladies Martina (who works at the club) and another volunteer from the USA. My sister and I were able to spend a couple of hours in the morning and afternoon teaching a group of young girls english...and intern we were learning the spanish words associated with it. The energy/enthusiasm to learn was really wonderful to witness! Near the end of our time together, the girls presented a dance to us, which nearly had me in tears. It is really hard not to love these children and this organization for providing a safe haven for them. I would like to thank you Liz, Martina for welcoming my sister and I with open arms to this organization. This is definitely a start of a very long/beautiful relationship.

1  Thank Tayenda A

Hello!

Thank you so much for your kind review - we loved having you and your sister on site with us! We loved how you called Dove a 'safe haven' for our children - you are absolutely right. The club is a place the kids can come to be safe, comfortable and know they are loved. We are honored to provide that for them.

Thank you again for volunteering your time with Dove - we look forward to your next time to the DR!

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I had the extreme pleasure of being part of a group called builders for change that went to the Dominican to build the new Dove Missions Centre. I went to build a building and in turn I was blessed to become entrenched in the Dove Mission experience. This is such a rewarding and life changing experience, it truly warms your heart to look into the eyes of the local boys and girls who belong to the program and feel their unconditional love and appreciation. They rely on Dove to give them a help up and take their role seriously. Being able to help provide them with the opportunity to better themselves and their families by exposing them to the education and teachings that we take for granted in our every day lives is everything to them. I think it is important to understand that Dove provides a Hand Up, not a Hand Out.. The leaders of this fine organization are hands on and dedicated to the pursuit of making a difference to the kids and their future. I highly recommend getting involved in this fantastic endevour, you will not be disappointed. I will leave you with this story from my trip: At the resort I met a great couple from the UK who were down on vacation staying at the same resort as our group. They inquired what all of us were doing, they had witnessed our group of 56 leaving in the morning and retruning in the late afternoon. When we explained the Dove Mission and how it worked, they came to visit us on site. It was there that they met Liz and Melissa and were exposed to Dove. They were able to meet some of the children and see first hand the difference that Dove makes and represents. For some time they had been looking for something to get behind and support but were wary of giving their time and money to charities that they had no control or access to see where their efforts were going. They were happy and relieved to see that Dove offered them a direct line to the kids that they would be helping, they were eager to get involved and make a difference. It was by going to Dove and meeting the people, the kids and learning about what Dove was doing to help that solidified their decision. I encourage you to do the same. I left my time there with a different outlook on life and will be coming back to help again. Whenever I feel stressed or am having a bad day, all I have to do is remember those smiling faces and it reminds me that no matter what I am dealing with, if those kids can smile while enduring their day to day life then I certainly can deal with mine. Thank you Liz, Melissa and Martina for your amazing program, you have made a huge impact on this guy!

DoveMissions, Public Relations Manager at Dove Missions Voluntourism - 1-Day Volunteer with Youth, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2015

Wow - thank you so much for your kind review and the wonderful things you had to say about our kids, your trip and Dove Missions. We are so glad that your time with us had such a meaningful impact on your life. Thank you so much for joining us in our effort to have an impact on the lives of our children!

We agree that coming to the DR can have a larger impact on a volunteer than the time they might spend serving. You can often leave with a renewed spirit, a happy heart and a completely new outlook on life. Thank you so much for sharing your story!

We're ready for a return trip to be scheduled - the summer is quickly ending and we'd love to see you soon!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

This one day experience will open your eyes to a community of people in a tiny corner of the world. I was picked up at my hotel and spent the first part of the day touring Pureto Plata to get an understanding of how these children live. I was invited into the home of one of the mission children. The remaining time was spent at Dove Missions interacting with the children. We colored, played games practicing English words and I even learned a little Spanish.

4  Thank Jill A

Thank you so much for choosing to spend some time during your vacation with Dove - we loved having you! We always look forward to welcoming volunteers into our center as they are able to learn so much from our kids, including a little Spanish! :)

We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to your soon return. In fact, let's go ahead and get that on the calendar!

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Wow! What an amazing and captivating experience! Thank you Liz. I truly appreciate your devotion, passion and desire to help the less fortunate. Thank you for opening my eyes and heart. Dove Missions is an absolutely fantastic organization!

1  Thank Mitch W

We are so glad we were able to play such an active role in opening your eyes and heart to the beautiful people, country and culture that is the Dominican Republic and Puerto Plata. We love spending time with the wonderful kids in our club and we're so glad we were able to share that with you!

We look forward to your return to the DR - we're ready for you to come back!

All things good,