“Amazing Experience!”
Review of Dove Missions

Dove Missions
Ranked #11 of 48 Tours in Puerto Plata
More attraction details
Owner description: Dove Missions is a non-profit organization that offers a safe & organized way to volunteer with youth while vacationing in the Dominican Republic. We have 140 children enrolled in our programs and offer 15 educational and vocational classes. Typical 1-day Volunteer Itinerary: - 9am: Pick-up at Hotel - 10am: Activity at the youth center - 12pm: Lunch - 1pm: Visit typical neighborhoods where the kids live - 2pm: Activity at the youth center - 4pm: Debrief and drop-off at hotel
Reviewed 14 July 2017

My friend told me about Dove Missions after she went. I teach many Dominican children in the US so I was very interested. It was an even better experience than I imagined! Going to the barrio was eye-opening. I imagined how it would be, but it was even more heartbreaking. What I didn't expect was the friendliness and happiness of the people. They welcomed us into their homes and were so kind. Next, we went to the school. We did an English lesson on fruits and vegetables and then helped them plant a rooftop garden. My 13 year old daughter and I did crafts with the girls and my husband played basketball with the boys. It was so fun! When it was time to leave, every child gave us hugs. This was the most amazing experience in my life. I know my daughter will remember it forever and it also gave her a new appreciation of what she has. Every person should go to Dove Missions for a 1/2 day or a full day!

3  Thank Rocco C
DoveMissions, Public Relations Manager at Dove Missions, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2017

We couldn't agree more! We think everyone should visit with our kiddos for at least a half or a full day :) We're so grateful for you, and we look forward to seeing you next time!

All reviews
"volunteer experience"
"english class"
"own eyes"
in 2 reviews
"visiting the dominican republic"
"local lunch"
in 20 reviews
"supplies"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 21 June 2017

I wanted to find a vacation-volunteer program over the Christmas holidays last year. I was open to going anywhere down south and found it very difficult to find somewhere that would take me for less than 2 weeks, without paying thousands of dollars out of pocket.

I discovered Dove Missions online and planned my trip around the concept that you can drop in for a few days at a minimal cost that goes directly to the children and community. Not only did I have the most amazing experience in the DR, Dove Missions was such a humbling and delightful time. It was very hands on and I fell in love with the children. I even ended up sponsoring a child.

I spent the day at the club with the children, playing games and teaching english. Liz - the creator of this program took me out for lunch and into the community to experience how the locals live. Her story is absolutely inspiring and touching.

I highly recommend Dove Missions.

3  Thank Jes K

This is so wonderful to hear! We're so glad you visited us in Puerto Plata and had such a wonderful experience. We loved having you! And thank you so much for sponsoring a child at DOVE -- we're so grateful for you! See you next time!

Reviewed 21 June 2017

We were staying at the nearby Lifestyles Resort and this learning center is within a few miles. Staying at the resort one would never guess that the poorest section Of Puerto Plata, Barrios, is right around the corner. That's why it is even more essential that you should volunteer here for a day or even 1/2 a day for a small donation. They had a driver come and pick us up from the resort. We spent time with the children doing a craft and probably learning more Spanish from them then we taught them English! This was a family trip which included our three children ages 8, 11 and 14 and it was such an important eye opening opportunity. They had no problem playing alongside the kids and the students and staff were so welcoming and friendly...not to mention grateful...just to spend time together. Afterwards, we were taken on a walking tour of the Barrios and were welcomed into the poorest of homes but everyone had a smile on their face to see us. Humbling experience but would definitely visit again and again. We brought a suitcase of supplies to donate. You can also sponsor a child from the learning center or make an online donation. This is such an important community outreach to these children and they thrive on volunteers and donations. They are doing such amazing things and the reward that you will feel just giving of your time and love will be ten times greater than anything ever imagined! At the end of your time you can go back to your fancy resort but these kids can't even imagine an inkling of luxury like that. This center is non faith based. We only had one hiccup in the plan and because of some miscommunication we were picked up later and had less time there than we thought but in the end it didn't matter...the whole experience had an amazing impact on our family! We did lots of cool things during our week vacation but this is the experience that left a lasting impression on our children!

3  Thank goldenrosy

We're so sorry to hear of this hiccup, but we're so glad to hear that your time with us was such a wonderful experience! We agree that this is a wonderful opportunity for the whole family, and we're so glad to hear that it was a memorable time for everyone! We SO agree on the reward we get just spending time with these kiddos -- we are the lucky ones! Please plan a time to come visit us again, soon. We'd love to have you! Blessings!

Reviewed 7 June 2017

During our recent holiday from UK we took a day out to spend at the mission, giving us the opportunity to meet the staff & kids, assist the kids with their work & join them playing sports, followed by a really insightful tour of the Barrios & fruit market, finishing with a few more hours at the mission.
We met some wonderful people, learned a lot about life outside of the All Inclusive resorts & would highly recommend this experience

1  Thank Rufus R

Thank you so much! And thank you for taking time from your holiday to visit us at DOVE Missions. We're so grateful you did! Please come back -- we'll look forward to seeing you then!

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 June 2017

I spend a full day at Dove Missions exactly one week ago and I am still raving about my experience to everyone I know. The team of volunteers are so passionate about this centre that you can't help but want to do what you can to make a difference. The kids warmed my heart, they are so welcoming and it doesn't hurt that they are extremely adorable! The tour of the kids neigbhourhood was especially memorable. I would recommend a day here to everyone. This is a day I will never forget! I will be back.

1  Thank DrRemy

Thank you for your kind words -- we are so grateful that you were able to visit Puerto Plata with us! We agree that our kiddos are so precious! We look forward to seeing you when you come back!