“Wonderful time & wedding”

ClubHotel Riu Bachata
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 15 December 2011

We styed at the Bachata from the 10th November to the 24th November. We was greeted at reception and our bags were sent to our rooms, check in was very quick and easy. We was given a pack for our wedding and our appointment with the wedding co ordinator. The hotel was beautiful and the grounds are very well kept with maintenance men most places you lok tidying up the gardens or fixing things. The staff were very helpful with plenty of smiles. We were given a table int he restaurant with our waiter Antonio who was very friendly and couldn't do enough for us. We met the wedding planner on the 2nd day there who went through the flowers i wanted she booked the hair appointments, the videographer and a upgrade for the night of our wedding. We was offered a upgrade throughout our stay but we was already settled in our room surrounded by family. The main pool was closed for the first few days due to maintenance but this was soon back open looking as good as new. Our wedding day went as smooth as possible my flowers were beautiful and the wedding was short and sweet just the way we wanted it. We booked the photographer from the carribean street and we had some most amazing pictures taken. The rooms were kept clean everyday and we had alsorts made out of towels everyday. The minibar was restocked every two days with pepsi, water and soda water. Overall we had an amazing time and enjoyed every minute of it. The entertainment was a little repetative at times but nothing I haven't seen anywhere else. The only thing we found was the beds were a little hard but thats to my partners liking.

3  Thank SaraLawson
There are newer reviews for ClubHotel Riu Bachata

Reviewed 13 December 2011

Just returned from a very enjoyable holiday at the Riu Bachata
The staff were very helpful and cheerful which added to the ambience.
The accommodation and facilities were excellent The beach with its palm trees was lovely but rocky underfoot in places.The sea was warm with plenty of colourful fish swimming around.
Live music for dancing, and other entertainment usually each evening.
Daytime activities around the pool and on the beach, carried out by a very energetic and merry entertainment team
Air conditioning worked well in bedroom and in dining room.
Electric sockets in bedroom continental 110volt, but I think american sockets elsewhere
Hotel seems to give a good rate of exchange for pesos but I dont think they will change them back.
Expect heavy showers (umbrella provided in the bedroom!)

Good so far but

Why build an excellent hotel complex including a first class dining room and then allow guests to wander in in swimming trunks (essentially their underwear) and without a shirt?
Apart from being unhygenic I really don't want to have dine close to them or sit on a seat vacated by them.
A shirt could also be useful to hide unsightly tattoos.(but sorry I digress)
As one member of staff said to me "we should not have to tell people how to dress, they would not go into a first class restaurant in their own country improperly dressed, so why do they do it here?"
I wonder what their attitude would be if the excellently turned out dining room staff were to appear in scruffy attire?
Due to the under occupancy of the resort, only one dining room was open, which I can accept, but I believe the aforesaid is unacceptable

I believe the hotel could and should supply hand sanitizers at all entrances to the dining room.
The meals are buffet style and the serving utensils are being used continuously by guests whose hygene standards may or may not be very high.I know of a number of people who were not very well.
I expected in a 5 star hotel men would wear long trousers in the evening or at least long shorts.
Most women and chidren were well turned out ,afterall they were on holiday. Why not the male of the species?
Very impressed by our hosts but not so of some of my fellow guests.I wonder what our hosts think of us?.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are best but no lifts,2/3 floors normal could be noisy if near bar/entertainment
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Gandmt
Reviewed 12 December 2011

we have previously been to this resort 8years ago and have just returned from yet a great holiday. the resort is great, its got everything for a great holiday. we decided to stay at the bachata cos the dining room is nicer - its got air con and generally is newer and brighter - not so much like butlins. the food was good, the drinks were good, we drink caprinia cocktails which they made with limes everytime and usually we get fobbed off with lemons - not the same
the shows at night werent very good but saying that there was always something to watch or do and our weather was awful the first week when we were there.we didnt see the sun for 6 days and it rained alot but it didnt spoil anything.
the problem is people go on holiday here expecting a caribean white sand and blue sea beach but you dont get that here - its the atlantic - it is still a lovely beach in its own right although you do need beach shoes.
looking at previous reviews people go on holiday to moan - for goodness sake you are only on holiday for a short time - enjoy and make the most of it! look around you - you are in a lovely place - sun and palmtrees and great staff that work so hard.

one extra plea i have is that there is a sandy coloured dog on the beach that stayed with us our whole holiday - please if you go feed her and put water down for her - she is gorgeous and wants love. i fetched chicken from the snack bar and water and a bowl everyday. we called her mollie. she was waiting for us everyday - i so much wanted to take her home in my bag!!

this isnt a 5 star resort but its got a great feel and is brilliant value for money - i would recommed it anyday and the locals werent any trouble while we were there. they were there to enjoy their weekend like anyone elsex

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sashaziggy
Reviewed 9 December 2011

This hotel had the fastest check in I have ever experienced. Everything is ready for you when you arrive from the airport (about 30-40 min drive) and our package included the pool key, room key and a safe key - no deposit required

The staff are very friendly and nice. When I went to the barcelo in 2009, the people dance, sang and were like party happy - the staff at the riu were not (except the entertainment staff) but they were friendly, nice and hardworking. I have no complaints about the servers, bartenders or any of the front desk staff. The food managers walk around on a daily basis to ensure that everything is going well and the Manager of the hotel makes an effort to introduce himself to all of the guests over the duration of the week. Tipping doesn't seem to make a difference but the serivce is good.
The ocean is spectacular. and tons of seashellls to collect. The beach right along the bachata property is a bit rocky - but if you walk along the coastline or pathway to the riu merengue - the beach there is much better. However, the pool at the bachata is better than the merengue or mambo - all this means is that you can walk from resort-resort and enjoy yourself
You may wonder what the difference is between the 3 resorts, and I think it really comes down to food. we looked at the bufet for the merengue and mambo - and the bachata menu was 1000 times better. although the other resorts can come to the bachata for breakfast and lunch, they can not visit for dinner. whereas bachata guests would not go to the other resorts. the other resorts would have mayb 5 main dishes out of what the bachata was offering for that day.

The a la cartes were not spectacular in any way. each of the rius have an italian and steakhouse a la carte. Personally I liked the buffet food better, although the atmosphere of the al l carte and the idea of being served a sit down dinner was nice.
The public relation manager, Friedrich, was everywhere on the site and always trying to help. If you go at the Bachata you will remenber Tulele (very very good).
I will returned there any time .

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank denisdo
Reviewed 7 December 2011

We stayed here Nov.22-29, 2011. Our room was nice and clean. We were in room 328...I think lol. It faced the inlet and we could see the gazebo. We were there for a Humanitarian Build.
Food - Breakfast and lunch were the same thing on the buffet everyday. There was a wide variety and you will not go hungry, but it was kind of boring. We had dinner at the Italian restaurant and again disappointed. The salad looked like the one I made for lunch from the buffet. Now, this is rated at a 4* star and I do realize where we were, but I have never tasted wine that bad in quite some time. If you eat in the two specialty restaurants your choice of alcholic beverages are beer or their wine. We asked for a mojito and was told they couldn't get us one. We had to go to the bar outside of the restaurant and get it ourselves! Really?

Staff- Wonderful....did not see one unhappy face! Everyone was very helpful and courteous.

I think the resort did a wonderful job of accommodating all 189 of us that were there for the Humanitarian Build, but I would not return on my own.

Oh and to the gentleman that was so kind to throw up in the pool and close it down for the day....thanks! Oh yeah....careful where the shows take place, the roof collapsed the second day we were there and another person said that it collapsed the week before also?

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank czechmate1ca
Reviewed 6 December 2011

amazing food, and i am fussy! amazing animation team always happy! pacha is a really good nightclub and a brilliant idea to have it on site. staff were really good especially raymon in the resturant! the swim up bar was amazing and the pools were not too hot or too cold! Definately the best out of the three (bachata, mambo & meringue!). DEFINATELY want to go back!

8  Thank Jesspiff
Reviewed 5 December 2011

We attended in Mid November, My Mom & I...

Hotel/Rooms: The resort is beautiful. Though we'd requested a water view and received primarily a palm tree view, it was still better than others. The rooms were consistantly clean, with fresh flowers added hear and there every day. The beds were a little flat, but did the job.
Food/Drinks: The bar didn't make consistant drinks and the food seemed very bland. The best food was local cuisine. I ate a lot of beans & rice, but at least it had flavor! Reservations for the sit down dinners cost you nothing more and are worth it! If you are a wine drinker... white, blush, red... they all tasted the same, almost like vinigar, but if you've had a few to drink earlier in the day, you wont notice as much.

Service: Staff is extreamely nice and consistantly goes above and beyond the usual

Entertainment: Plenty of scheduled pool & beach activities to mingle with other guests. The shows were ok. I had to laugh on "Latin Night" when they jitterbugged to Elvis though. The Michael Jackson show was the best. The casino was too small to waiste my time in and the Night Club is only popular and attended on Friday and Saturdays.

Note from previous read reviews: We had mild issues with the A/C. Make sure your patio door is shut tight, locked & drapes closed and you will have no issues. We did have an issue with cable out for about 20mins one night, but with all but one station in spanish, we didn't really care. We also had a plumbing issue one night, but after calling the front desk to notify them, it was quickly resolved. It is not a place for singles, unless you are with a large group. Most of the guests are couples and on holiday from Europe.

Room Tip: Best views are overlooking the bay and not the pool, but may require a little more walking.
3  Thank Nellie2280