“Bar was awesome but housekeeping was aweful”

ClubHotel Riu Bachata
Ranked #11 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Columbus, Ohio
“Bar was awesome but housekeeping was aweful”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We went to the Bachata 1/31/2012-2/5/2012. Love the in room rum,brandy,gin and vodka dispensers. The rooms were fine, we had paid extra for an Oceanview. The view was a blue ocean painted building . So don't pay extra for any views. Also the housekeepers seemed bitter, they would forget to leave towels and If you asked for them they would say later. So after the second time, I went to the front desk. The lady there told me to get a beach towel. I wouldnt leave until I got my towels. Also the first night my sisters electricity in her hotel room went out and the fuse box started sparking. The front desk wanted her and her husband to try to fix it. Then after a hour of sittiing in the dark they called again and they sent someone to fix it. Finally it was fixed and then their water wouldnt work. Noone from management did anything about it. They stayed in the same room the whole vacation. The did buy them free drinks. (All-inclusive already).

Room Tip: Dont pay extra for a view. I guess if you put tips on the pillows the house keepers will take bette...
4 Thank NancyJ52674

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,052)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My Daughter and I just stayed at the Riu Bachata for 7 nights (not quite long enough) from February 2nd to the 9th. I do not hesitate to recommend this Hotel and we would both go back.
I sometimes can not believe all the things that some visitors complain about…drinks too sweet, hard beds and pillows, rocks on the beach etc…
If the drinks are too sweet, then drink less, beds are not too hard, stay home, rocks on the beach, only in some places.
The beach at the Bachata is small so just walk down to one of the other resorts (just a short walk along a very nice walkway on the beach)
One couple said that they did not like their room so the front desk changed it immediately. The front desk is there to please everyone as much as possible.
Definitely request a room in the low #’s (100-200-300) on the west side so that you see the sun set and also quieter. Again just a small walk which is good for you because of all those drinks….
Lots of choice from the buffet only tried the al a carte once, it was just nice to eat when you feel like it. The one thing that I have to complain about is the WINE which is horrible… I like a nice glass of wine with my supper. So may I suggest that you go near Ocean World and there is a discount store there and buy yourself a few bottles and just bring the bottle to supper. The manager saw me with mine and looked at the bottle as I walked in to the buffet and he said “that is a good one, enjoy”. I had complained to him a few times but he explained that at one time the resort had a choice what they served but now they must take what is sent to them.
Entertain is very very good & the staff work very hard to please everyone. If you do not like the show at one resort you can always go to see what one of the other resorts (Mambo & Merengue) is having as a show. Just loved the entertainment staff that goes around saying “I love my job, I love my job” and I would answer I want your job….
My daughter and I are a bit adventurous so we rented a car ( $65.00)and drove around with a guide Daniel Almonte ( wanted $40.00 we gave him $60.00) for just one day, it was great. You can also share a taxi with someone and do the same things. To take the tour it would cost around $50.00 per person.
The trip up to the top of the mountain in Puerto Plata has a great view, worth the trip. We drove up to the top and came back around the back of the mountain as suggested by our guide, it was also interesting. The guides are there to make sure that everything goes well and I recommend Daniel, he was always looking out for me and daughter. We felt very safe but then as I said we are adventurous. My Daughter did the driving and Daniel told us that this was the first time that he was in a car with a woman driving and that she passed the test. He just had to remind her to make sure to stop at every intersection in the town weather there is a stop sign or not.
If you like to snorkel definitely go to Paradise Island it is beautiful & take fish food with you, the fish will be all around you, it is just fantastic, my high point in the trip. The drive there is a bit long and the Dominican’s don’t know what a straight road is…
My daughter went to Sousa beach on this day because she gets sea sick and she said the beach was very nice soft white sand.
I do not thing that the resort is a 5 star but it is a 4 ½ ++++, for the price ($905.00) each with Sun Wing from Montreal for 7 days it was a great holiday and I would go back.
Mother and Daughter

10 Thank Marilyn-Tracy
Wales
Reviewed 12 February 2012

This place is beautiful, although do put ur money in the safe as the housekeepers will take it!

the surroundings of this hotel are so nice, the staff are excellent as is the general manager. on weekends the locals do stay at the hotel and cause havoc, but due to use complaining about this, the general manager gave us a 5 course plated meal on the beach with a wedding setup with champaigne and wine which was amazing, the waves and the sun going down was just beautiful.

I fully reccommend this hotel to anyone who wishes to stay there. my only tip would be to book your excursions for a weekend, I would reccommend the dominican night.. and ocean world!

• Stayed February 2012
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed 11 February 2012

My husband, I and three year old vacationed at the Riu Bachata for 2 weeks from Jan 19th - Feb 2nd and I have no complaints. The room was very nice,We always found something to eat. and thought the food was very good. The service at the bars were great and never had a problem getting a drink from the swim up bar. The kiddies pool is very small but we enjoyed the other pools and the lounging area of the pool. Our 3 yr old had a great time too. He loved the mini disco each night. The beach was fine, Like you will read on other reviews, there is coral and shells so it is a good idea to wear water shoes but nevertheless, we loved it. The staff is wonderful and always up beat and willing to help. You can not go wrong for the price.

8 Thank hotchocolate18
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 10 February 2012

We just returned from our second trip to the Riu Bachata and would still highly recommend it. I did a review our first time, and stand by pretty well everything I said there. You can find it here:

The only slight disappointment was the quality of food at the a la carte restaurants. It was certainly nice to be served in courses but overall the food wasn't great.

Another downside was finding some glass in a few areas where glasses are used for drinks. While it was clear that there was a clean up, in two cases I saw the clean up wasn't sufficient.

We would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank yazzy13
Cornwall, Canada
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Great place to stay. Clean, friendly and beautiful.

Cornwall, Canada
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Don't listen to reviews about this hotel being a bad place to stay. If your looking to be waited like your a royalty or something, then you may want to look for a place in another world. YOUR ON VACATION.....NOT A CELERITY. The staff is there to serve you, not to be your slave. Staff was excellent, rooms are clean and the food was great (stay with the buffet, a la carte is nothing special...but what resort is). It could use a little less trees in the pool and beach area to catch more of the sun. You can use the beach in front of the other adjacent RIU's which have more of a beach area.They are always holding some type of entertainment from morning to night. A big plus about this place.....NO TIME SHARE PEOPLE bugging you every time you take a step. For the price a great place to stay, would return to this place no questions ask.

Al
Ontario, Canada

Room Tip: I have only heard to get lower room number...not sure why. We were in he 700 and our friends in the...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#6 of 40 in Puerto Plata
Sunscape Bavaro Beach Punta Cana

Been to ClubHotel Riu Bachata? Share your experiences!