“Amazing ignore the bad reviews !””

ClubHotel Riu Bachata
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 6 January 2013

This is one of the best holidays I have been on everybody is so friendly and the setting is beautiful .I have read over reviews saying how awful the food was and how everyday the same food was served however,every 3 days there's a themed night e.g-Chinese, Dominican, italian and if you don't like the themed food then there is also other foods available . There was 3 big pools and lots of little pools and jaquooses which are lovely and are cleaned every night and morning so an excellent condition there's also many sunbeds you can lounge on and big umbrellas if you don't want to be exposed to the heat . There are many bars where you can get drinks from including the swim up bar but the best bar is the red bar a couple of minutes away from the pool because the same man that pulls the drinks there always knew the certain drink i love (merengue) and if he saw me walking up my drink would be sitting there for me before i even had a chance to order a really good service. Local people don't pesters you unless you go down the caribbean street but this is optional personally i don't like going there as i find the people annoying and forceful,people also sell a little bit off the beach but are not aloud to come any further as they are watched by a policeman that makes sure of that. We went on the tour and our tour guides name was good

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mportolatin
There are newer reviews for ClubHotel Riu Bachata

Reviewed 6 January 2013

firstly booking in and out was the best ive ever seen got to the hotel on a coach full of families.told them our names and were given an envelope with wrist bands room keys safe keys and stickers for cases put stickers on cases and then went to our room with hand luggage to freshen up cases followed with a porter shortley after.
rooms were all you needed big bed enogh wardrobe space and drawers for two easily ,fridge and drinks dispenser,fridge had beers and mixers and water replaced regularly.
food in the normal restaurant was quite good for an a/i,the al a carte restaurants were italian and steak-house the italian was o/k but wasnt really italian the steak-house was really good.
used the beach more than the pool because of the cooling breeze on the beech it would have been to hot round the pool for me unless id have been under a brolly.the beach was very good because you have got quite a long beach to use because it stretches along to were the mambo used to be
the entertainment team work very hard to keep everyone entertained all day with various games and allin all do a really good job.entertainment on a night is quite good but gets a bit samey after a few days,but that usually happens.might have been better if they hadnt played merangey dance music all the time.
the staff were incredible while we wre there we had a lot of rain for a week and the staff worked harder than normal just to keep the tiled floors safe to walk on,they were constantly mopping them.
all in all we had a really good time and we would go back,but theres always somewhere else to go,but anyone who goes here should enjoy it

Room Tip: any rooms are good but some rooms are near to the sea.
5  Thank pedro3524
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Stayed at the Riu Bachata Nov 22 -Dec7.Tis was my second time at Bachata and found it just as good as the first time yeswe had quite a lot of rain but was still very hot and very enjoyable.if your expecting 5* steak and caviar then this is not for you.I read reports of people complaining about the food,why !!! we found the food very good,so much to choose from.evening meal - 2 diff types of fish and meat,also a chef carving a diff meat every night- the suckling pig melts in your mouth.A chef making fresh curry/pasta,you pick your own ingredients.veg,salad and lots more.Breakfast - apart from the normal cooked stuff and chef makin you fresh omlettes of your choice,theres many diff cereals and yogurts,fresh friut,cold meats n cheeses,cakes and fresh made smoothies,so whats to complain about !!!. - The drinks were good,we were given Smirnoff vodka,if you want it just ask.loved the cocktails,these are made as slushies so very refreshing.ROOMS - these are quite spacious,my bed and pillows were so comfy,better than at home.you also get a mini bar -vodka,gin etc,also fridge with beers pepsi andwater,a couple of dollars left in the fridge got us extra beers and water.we left our maid a tip every couple of days,she used to make us some lovely swans etc from the towels.was on the balcony one morn and the gardener asked would I like him to cut me down a fresh coconut ! - the pool is lovely,always plenty of sunbeds,and yes the locals do book in at weekends but are no trouble at all.if you want a bit of peace and relaxation,go to the beach,not lovely white sand no,but shaded by palm trees,very relaxing.The animation team work very hard,okay the shows are not first class but are enjoyable.my only negative is the pushy people in shops,but then a simple no thanks is usually good enough.The staff at Bachata cant do enough for you,all so helpfull.if you havnt got what you want,just ask.Would I return for a 3rd time.YES I WOULD.

Room Tip: I asked for ground floor,and got what I asked for.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank susie1820
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We got such a great deal here, we couldn't pass on it for December 1st for 4 nights.
Our check-in was fast and easy booked through GOGO. The location is spectacular, we thought the beach was great on the beautiful Bay. It is not the bright white sand beaches at Punta Cana, but still very nice with the mountains in the background, we loved it. Be prepared to see some topless sunbathers..We were fortunate enough to have good weather most of the time.
The Resort itself is very lush and tropical, lovely landscape and architecture. We especially enjoyed going up to the tholos at night and watching the stars, it is magical!

The rooms were nice, however, my one complaint was the very HARD bed and the bed sheets did not fit the bed at all. Not great for an all-inclusive even though this is only a 3 star resort.
I hope that can be fixed in the future.
The Buffets were excellent and always fresh and hot. The desserts were wonderful, and I was always curious to see what would be created! The servers were very pleasant. We did try to get reservations at the other restaurants but could not, but I dont feel we missed out at all.
We ventured out to the Fort at Puerta Plata and that was very cool, the oldest fort in the Ameicas and very well preserved.
Our only recommendation is to NOT rent a car and drive if you can avoid it, let the Dominicans do
the driving. We were pulled over and told we ran a red light in Santiago on our way from Santo Domingo. He told us finally that we had to pay him $100.00 if we wanted to keep going.
Oh well, we paid it and got out of there. Lesson learned. It was an adventure in the DR that we will always remember!

Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

Thompsons should be ashamed , I will never ever give them my business again, it was more of an endurance test than a holiday, it was shabby, outdated, bad food, even worse drinks, horrendous entertainment, partly closed down, hygiene standards disgusting , boards for beds,what more can I say than just please take note of the negative reviews, don't give it the benefit of the doubt like I did cos honestly it's worse than I expected which believe me was not a lot after reading some posts. Just re book or take a loss

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Victoriaharry
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I travelled to Riu Bachata on 11th July-26th July (sorry for late review) with my friend for two weeks- I was 19 and she was 18 at the time. We flew from London Gatwick airport.

The flight was very good, the check-in opened early, boarded early and left right on time. The entertainment was a little limited therefore take entertainment. We landed twenty minutes late due to congestion of other planes at the airport (we circled whilst waiting). I would reccommend taking light clothes as the heat hits you and becomes very overwhelming. At the time, improvements were being made with the airport so felt more of a building site. Ensure you get your own luggage and do not allow the locals to do it for you for a fee.

HOTEL- check in was slightly confusing as to where and who we were meant to go to but was fast and we were in our rooms and had had our bags delivered before no time. Lovely and clean (however if you get up early, you will see the mess from the night before being cleaned up). Lovely grounds. It was difficult to get a bed by the pool and a nice spot on the beach; however, the beach was lovely.

ROOM- lovely for its purpose; however, they do need updating a little as there's cracks/faults etc.

GENERAL- when we went, it was packed with locals who stayed. I respect that it is 'their' country; however, it was difficult to get food, peacefully lie by the pool and felt very crowded. They were very loud and going by how they carried iPads around, I wouldn't call it a 'third-world' country?!
The shops- you get pestered like CRAZY around the shops and once a week, the hotel allow them to come into the lobby to sell therefore it's impossible to get to and from dinner etc peacefully.

TRIPS- we did four trips (two one week, two the other). our first was the Catamaran trip. It was a fantastic day (take LOTS of factor 50 sunscreen!!) however, I would only recommend this to families/groups rather than just two people. DO NOT buy the photos DVD, we brought our photos, got it home and it was faulty, by the time they replied to my email, they refused to refund. The toilets are awful (as it's a boat); however the snorkelling is very good. Food is okay. OUT OF 10, I WOULD RATE THIS A 5.

Trip 2- The City Tour. Despite being 19 and bored of historical guides- this is a definately worthwhile trip! We got to see the church, the true Dominican Republic, the local supermarket (had so much fun, is just like Tesco) and the Zipwire (which is amazing), we saw a jewellery store and many more. OUT OF 10, I WOULD RATE THIS A 9.

Trip 3- Outback Safari. I was highly disappointed with this. I have been before and truly enjoyed the trip so chose to do it again. It was just one group of us on one truck. I felt quite bored. The information was useful and I got to try pure sugar from a Sugarcane, Organic fresh coffee and so on. We stopped at a 'lake' which was actually tiny, dried up and I felt unclean and unhygienic. Although the local children are lovely, when you get a group of them and show them gifts, my swarm you and grab so try to give the gifts to small groups of children along the way. The body boarding was brilliant on the deserted beach and I would do it again. OUT OF 10, I WOULD RATE THIS A 3.

Trip 4- Royal Swim (dolphins). This was amazing; however, has a few faults. The day was so packed/crammed in that we didn't get our free lunch and had the same feeling you get when Christmas shopping on Christmas eve. The Royal Dolphin Swim was amazing and worth every penny (or dollar in this case). The shark/stingray swim was good but I was a little anxious. Get the disc of photos rather than having them printed as it works out cheaper in the end.

PROS:
Lovely holiday and great value.
Great location.
Fantastic rep Vicki.

CONS:
Locals
Shops-pestering
Trips different from advertised.

P.S email the hotel before you go and request a beach/pool view and you usually get it.

Room Tip: Email them before you go and they will usually give you a pool/beach view without any extra costs.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Do not ignore the bad reviews like we did. When were were checking in there were three other parties having the same problem as us. they over book the hotel, they did not have our reservations and did not have our rooms. they were full of false expectations and no one would take accountability about anything. beyond the disaster of a check in process everyone there is shady and they seek to take advantage of their guests.

the only way to make a reservation at the the restaurants is to do it in person between 7-10 am on the day of the reservation. we got a reservation and the steak was worse then eating shoe leather.

the food at the buffet was horrible and spongy. the breakfast was the only good meal but how hard is it to mess up cereal bacon eggs and toast.

the beach was horrible if you want to lay out it is covered in trees. these are not like the beaches i have been to on dozens of other islands. It is a joke that they consider it a beach resort. when you get in the water it is full of a huge corral reef. be careful of your feet.

if you want to lay out by the pool make sure you wake up before 7am local time to claim your chairs. there are no pool personal regulating the use of chairs so guests would take advantage. many times we would go to look for chairs and the whole pool would not have any available. people would leave a book, a sneaker, a towel, another book to claim 4 or 5 chairs and never make it to the pool. this happened everyday.

as for laying out there was only one real are that wasn't fully tree covered all day.

most of the staff does not know any other language other than Spanish. beyond that they were shady and not friendly. they never wanted to take any accountability for any short comings and did not go above and beyond for the guests.

the drinks were as watered down as they come. the only way to get an ok drink was to tip the bartenders and even still the drinks were pretty poor.

the shower head in the room would fall off every time we would go to shower. the ac was never strong enough. the room phone did not work. we got the wrong rooms wake up call at 4:30am. the beds were like rocks.

I could not see this resort staying open other than the fact that they are booked on a one time visit. many guests there were talking by the pool on how poorly the resort was run. people were actually changing there stay to other resorts. I have been traveling for 25 years and never have been this.

save the money stress and state of mind book somewhere else.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else. anyone that says this stay was excellent has never traveled anywhere before.
10  Thank Jeff S