“Really great holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
lancaster
“Really great holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013

Flight with first choice was smooth no issues at all really nice plane, service was good and was on time both ways.

Puerto plata airport was good as well, well organised and very quick, we were on the bus about 30 minutes after we had landed. Transfer was about 40 minutes you get to see a bit of the city which is a real eye opener.

Check in was again really quick you get an envelope with all info in and some stickers to stick on your cases which get bought to your room 10 minutes after you.

Rooms were all pretty much the same only two beds in each room they will put another in the room if needed, free safe, free minibar, free optics, free umbrella. The room was a nice room nothing really special but comfortable, television was not up to much we could not find any English channels but we did not go on holiday to watch tv.

Hotel was really good clean, antibacterial spray everywhere, the hotel is in a complex of 3 Rui and you can use all facilities in all 3, all on the beach which is beautiful, the hotel is massive and you have a nice walk along all 3. So many bars and snack bars we only tried a few though but we found them all to be of a very high standard. Pools were all good cleaned everyday, had to get up early for a sunbed but that's half the fun.

Food and drink all good, buy a insulated mug when you are there as the little plastic cups are not up to much we bought on the last day and we were annoyed we did not buy them on day 1, they kept the drinks nice and chilled and the wife had a very hot cup on tea in the morning, she says you should take some tetely with you as the tea bags ain't up to much.
Breakfast pancakes, sausage, bacon, eggs,all the usual stuff.
Dinners burgers they are pink inside but it soya so does not go brown. Pizza, chips, sandwiches, hotdogs, loads of other different stuff.
Tea all of the above plus things like chilli, fajitas, mash potatoes, loads of meat dishes, soups, all meals were very good.
Al la cartes we only had the steakhouse and it was really good, t bone steak, half a chicken, fillet steak all cooked and bought to your table.

Staff all really nice could not do enough for you, Fredich helped us when we were there to organise a special meal for our girls 8th birthday and he was very professional and very friendly and the minibar man was good at his job he is supposed to fill up every other day but if you see him have a chat and he will sort you what you need again a very nice man who knows what customer service is all about.

Dominican its a beautiful place, the people are great and the surroundings are just unbelievable. Palm trees, coconuts, bananas, lizards running around, golden sands, blue oceans, and the sunshine 30 degrees, we arrived back into Manchester and it was 1 degree.
We went on three trips, jungle safari which was brilliant, Paridise Island which was good, and the dolphin encounter at Oceanworld which the kids and us enjoyed very much.
It was safe to go out the complex have a walk, would not advise to drive or get on a scooter as the roads were crazy I felt safe on a big bus.

Overall it was heaven and we are planning to get back as soon as possible.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
12 Thank LancasterJohnny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (998)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
chislehurst
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013

We have just returned from this hotel this morning. The hotel is probably one of the cleanest hotels I have stayed in 5 star and has the most friendliest staff who cannot do enough for you. The entertainment team work very hard 5 star.That unfortunately is where the 5 star in my opinion ends.The food is very hit and miss.Breakfast good some evenings Mexican and Dominican nights excellent others ok.Dont bother queing in the mornings for the A La Carte.We went to what is supposed to be a steakhouse and my partner ordered steak rare which was cremated and was so thin you could see through it. Never bothered with the italian as everyone we spoke to said it was rubbish.Wine undrinkable especially the red.
Forget having a lie in as unless you get up to reserve a sun bed(and note it was not only the germans but also the Americans and Britsand you are there after 7.15 a.m. all the beds have towels on them.
Although the entertainment team work very hard the evening entertainment is a load of rubbish and consists mostly of dancing in different costumes,getting the audience up to play silly games .Imagine Butlins with sun.I would sum up this resort as Tenerife for the americans.
Having said that we had a good time and met some nice people and made our own entertainment in the evenings.As I say the hotel surroundings,the staff definately 5 star but ujnfortunately thats where it ends.

Room Tip: We were in room 117 nice room nice view and away from the noisy bar.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jeandal
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

I have just returned from our New Year Break in Pueto Plata . 26th Dec to 9th Jan and sadly were very disappointed with our stay at the Bachata.
We are seasoned world travelers and have stayed in other Riu resorts previously in various locations but unfortunately this was the worse experience we have had and ultimately we chose to re locate at our own expense after one week and move to the Iberostar which fortunately saved the holiday.
I don't want to seem completely negative and am aware that other reviewers still have high regard for this resort so in short :-
1. All drinks were watered down. I'm not one who wants to get drunk but would like to expect that a beer or rum do at least taste correct. Even the post mix soda was diluted.
2. It was a busy time of year but every sunbed was "claimed " by 07.00am .
3. Booking for A la Carte restaurants operated from 07.00am till about 07.30am by which time they were full. This is hardly conducive to a relaxing break.
4. Entertainment relied on audience participation games with little imagination.
5. Gala Dinner on NYE was the same basic buffet but with some 4% strength "champagne" thrown in.

In conclusion. The resort is adequate, has attentive staff and can provide a reasonable vacation but in comparison to other resorts it cannot be classed any higher than a 3 star.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kelcsmith
Toronto Area
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

I will give a basic overview of my experience. Please note, I am a 30 year old single female traveller, so my experience is based on my perceptions.
1. I chose the hotel because it had a disco and a gym. The disco cost money and NO ONE went to it. Very, very disappointing. The gym had NO air conditioning. IT is the "rainy" season in December/January, so it was rather muggy. The machines were ok based on the fact that it was the Dominican, but NOTHING like a North American gym. Had free weights but no squat rack. One working treadmill. Again, very disappointing.
2. Food was pretty good. I only ate at the buffet. Not a huge difference from night to night, but the food was recognizable, clean and well prepared. Do NOT go to the Dominican expecting food like you will eat in North America.
3. Room. My toilet overflowed... twice. The staff used my bath towels to clean it. Other than that, the room was well maintained. Fridge drinks are replaced every 2 days. TV has very few english channels, but we are not there for TV I guess.
4. Weather... muggy. LOTS of mosquitos. Bring bug spray.
5. Staff... LOVELY. Very friendly.
6. Animation Team... Average. Tip them please. They do work long hours. If you enjoy silly beach games, this is the place for you.
7. Beach... If you are a sun worshiper, this is NOT the place for you. The beach is lined with trees and it is difficult to find sunny patches.
8. Pool... I saw the staff filling cleaning buckets with pool water. Disturbing. Pools appear clean, but don't be fooled... just saying... people are at the swim up bar all day long and don't leave to use the washrooms... just know this. As for pool chairs, if you go during a busy time (which I did... New Years...) you have to play the game of getting up at 5am to get a good pool chair as they are limited. Just know this in advance.
9. SPECIAL... when facing the ocean, if you walk to the left of the property, there is a little section of huts where the people sell their wares. You can get a SUPER CHEAP massage... $15 for 30 minutes... and it is WAY better than the hotel masseurs. The people are friendly and you can haggle for prices. There is also a family that runs horse back riding from this area for super cheap. It is $25 for 2 hours and it is wonderful. Friends I met went and took their kids (aged 9 and 12) as well as other people, so it is legit and safe.
10. Grounds - very well maintained.
11. The wine is HORRIBLE!! Just be aware. But the drinks otherwise were decent.
If you are looking for a hotel that is pretty decent, with not much to do but read by the pool and relax, this is the place for you. IF you want a really good nightlife, try Punta Cana.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank dominicanlove4
Montreal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

Jan. 1-8, 2013

Riu Bachata, is supposed to be a 5 Star Hotel. My guess is that its so-called 5-Star designation is self-proclaimed. Yep, just hang a sign at the hotel entrance, slap on 5 little stars under the hotel name and voila...impeccable, top-notch luxury. Riu Bachata had way too many deficiencies to merit such a designation (self-proclaimed or otherwise.)

The Good:

The pool is very large and clean. The grounds are well-kept. There is a crew that is constantly cleaning, picking up dishes and glasses, pruning bushes, cutting grass, etc. The music is not overbearing save for a half-hour morning session of group exercise in the pool.

The staff is, for the most part, very friendly. Many indeed take the extra step to make sure all is well. There are several waiters and waitresses canvassing around the pool and other common areas. The hotel lobby is quite nice and very clean.

The kids-club was fine. On some days, the person responsible for the kids was very helpful and animated. On one particular day the moderator was just plain lazy - leaving it up to the kids to ask for a sheet of paper on which to draw.

The beach has no vendors bugging you to buy cheap jewelry or souvenirs. In fact, the beach is quite sparse of anyone. See below.

The Bad:

The beach is not suitable for sunbathers or for beach-sports enthusiasts. There is simply an over-abundance of trees whose shade is all-encompassing. The width of the beach - between the shore and the first row of trees - is too narrow to allow more than three rows of sun loungers. At high-tide the situation is much worse. One positive aspect is that someone can curl up on a beach chair, novel in hand, have no need for sunscreen while appreciating the sights and sounds of the Atlantic.

There is a secluded portion of the Bachata beach that is quite interesting. This portion is in a bay that has very calm waters. It is quite far from the hotel bar and restaurants (10 minute walk) which may explain why just a few guests make it over there.

Riu Bachata claims to offer a multitude of free water sports and activities. I saw no evidence of any of the listed activities at the beach (except for swimming.) No pedalboats, kayaks, wind-surfers, sailboats...That calm beach area at the bay would have been an excellent spot to set up these activities.

As mentioned earlier, the pool (actually several pools) is the major bright point of Bachata. Although hotel policy states that reservations of beach chairs and loungers is not allowed, it is entirely tolerated. By 7:30 in the morning, most chairs around the pool were spoken for with towels, sandals, books and toys used in staking the territory. I did witness one intense argument between folks who accused their neighbor of removing their towels and "stealing" a pair of chairs.

The nightly "entertainment" was the regular run-of-the-mill variety we see so often at these Caribbean all-inclusive resorts. A men vs. women show. A Latin Dance show. A Grease show. Yawn...The sound system was below average; it made it difficult to discern what was being said or sung through the microphones.

The Ugly

The check-in went quite smoothly however we were not accompanied by any porter to bring our suitcases up three flights of stairs. We were given cards to be used to trade for beach towels. This is a system commonly used in all-inclusive resorts. One of our cards was marked Riu Merenge. When I went to get my towels, the towel clerk refused to accept the Merenge card. Basically it was a pain in the butt to go back to the hotel lobby, wait in line for 15 minutes to get the correct towel card. Stupid policy, isn't it?

As we first entered our hotel room, I noticed the bath and hand towels were missing. The towels were finally brought to our room at around 8pm (we had checked in at 1:30pm.) The explanation was that the towel washing facilities had broken down.

There were several problems I noticed in the room - nothing major enough to demand action. But I kept in mind the self-proclaimed 5-Star designation. There should have been be no problems whatsoever. There should have been more attention given to detail. So, here is a list of items that convinced me that Bachata is at best a 3 star hotel:

- the toilet handle was broken and thus caused the toilet bowl to continuously fill with water
- the bathroom ceiling fan was not working
- no secondary lock or dead bolt to lock the door from inside the room
- no peephole in the front door
- one of the fluorescent lights in the bathroom kept blinking, annoyingly
- single-ply toilet paper
- very cheap bars of soap
- shampoo is offered in plastic pouch and not a bottle
- rooms did not have drinking water available through the faucets; 4 or 5-star hotels necessitate a water purification system feeding all faucets in all rooms; I was always on edge when taking my shower - afraid of accidentally ingesting water not suitable for human consumption
- 3 sheets of tissue paper were in the dispenser; said dispenser was not refilled for three days
- the bar fridge was very loud; I had to unplug it during bedtime
- the mattresses were hard, thin and very uncomfortable; I'm sure they were the original ones when the Bachata was first built; I was in the lobby when I overheard a guest's request for a change of mattress
- pillows are extremely flimsy
- bathroom towel rack was not installed straight; bathtub caulking done very sloppily (yes I'm nit-picking but all in light of showing that the Bachata is not nearly up to scratch)
- I paid extra for two ocean view rooms. One would have to really strain to catch a glimpse of the ocean from building 4. After three nights I finally had to confirm my doubts and ask the hotel clerk what buildings they considered "ocean view". Building 4 was not among them. The clerk did offer to move us. Once settled in the rooms, we really did not want to waste any time packing and unpacking. I will take up this issue with my travel agent or with Signature Vacations. The hotel absolutely refused to refund the difference in price.
- there is a common entrance to the washrooms situated at the beach. The Men's Room sign is missing and thus makes it look like a Lady's only room. There was one leaky urinal.
- map of hotel is printed in a very cheap manner on cheap paper
- beach towels were not available one particular day until 1pm (problem with washing facilities again?)

I would rate the food at the buffet 5/10. There was a decent choice of dishes but very little variety from day to day. By the end of a 7-day stay, the lack of variety was literally nauseating. In fact three family members got sick by Day Three. Having been to the DR twice before I certainly expected more of a variety of fruits. Was it too much to ask for common mangoes? The "a-la-carte" restaurants were nothing special. Reservations are taken in the morning between 7am and 10am. The Steakhouse is usually fully-booked by 7:15am. I managed to book the Italian restaurant. This "restaurant" actually shares its kitchen with the main buffet. Consequently, I was not really able to distinguish the taste between buffet and a-la-carte. And who ever heard of an Italian restaurant that does not offer some sort of pasta as a main dish? Welcome to Bachata.

There is "free" wifi in the lobby with very slow connection speeds and frequently dropped service. Guests are allowed a maximum of about one hour per day. I needed a reliable connection for a work-related matter and so I bought a 24-hour access card for $10US.

What to expect when flying to Puerto Plata:

Just prior to landing at the airport we were given two documents (which needed to be filled out by each family member). The first document was a Customs Declaration and the second an Immigration Form. Both documents ask identical identification questions. Kind of a pain to fill these things out 12 times. Once we got to the airport, we needed to go to the first checkpoint and pay a $10US entry fee per person. Out of curiosity, and in jest (or so I thought), I asked if there was also an "exit fee". The agent actually was "not sure". The second checkpoint was for immigration. The immigration agent was aggravated when I handed her all the forms at the same time. She split the forms in two piles: slamming each form, one by one, on her desk; one pile of 6 immigration forms and one pile of 6 customs forms. The third checkpoint was for customs.

On the bus trip back to the airport, I was advised that there was indeed a Departure Tax of $20US per person. In my opinion, these entry and exit fees should be paid upon purchase of the airline ticket. There was also the need to fill out yet another immigration form per person in order to leave the country. And yes, the questions were almost identical to the other forms filled out upon entry to the DR. What nonsense. What a wrong-headed way to do things in a country that depends on tourism.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Gary C
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

Strong points of the hotel: tasty food with themed evening buffets: china night-great sushi; Mexico night-good tacos. Incredible scenery especially from the tower at the tip of the small peninsula: the western side has a calm bay with beautiful hills and mountains stretching out into the ocean, north you have sizable waves crashing on the rocks below, east a long beach with intriguing cliffs rising from the ground at the end and south the largest mountain to be seen. Only downfall to me was the beach: narrow and quickly getting deep. I strongly suggest a long walk along the peninsula path, Cuba libre dos ron and cigar at hand.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank Mark-Alexandre
Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

We were a group of friends and family who travelled to this place for New Year 2012. We had to pay a steep premium for 7 nights which included the New Year celebration. I have been to 2 previous Caribbean locations and am very happy with the experience. I read the positive and negative reviews for the resort but this was the only resort available for the price we were ready to pay which was still close to twice for what we paid for last year early December. So we decided to risk it and spend the New Year together for the extra cost. How bad can an all inclusive be when you are spending time with friends and family.

The resort is a combination of 3 resorts who share the beach, amenities and anyone can eat lunch at any other resorts buffet. The dinner is restricted to each individual resort. You can drink anywhere except the disco where even water is $2. The best buffet is at the Bachata with a lot of selections available. The best drinks are at the Merengue bar.

Here are some of my observations. Hopefully it would be useful to future travelers. Mind you this review is by someone who has been to deluxe plus resorts for half the price. For a first timer or someone who has not experienced deluxe treatment things may appear differently.

The Good
People were friendly and courteous. The RIU manager would personally talk to guest to make sure everything was fine. Lot of staff on site which was making sure the place is sparkling clean. Even during rains they kept cleaning the place so the guest would not get a wet and slippery floor.
Snorkeling was great - not many people knew that there was such a great snorkeling right on the beach. But beware the sea urchins - they were everywhere. And it would cost you $100 to get treated on site and they do not accept major insurance carriers from US.
We had a family room which was very spacious. It came with a balcony which unfortunately faced some construction and had stench coming from some waste treatment plant.
Each room came with a fridge which had beer, Pepsi, sparkling water and 2 bottles of water. There was a 4 bottle alcohol dispensing machine which had some local cheap brand called "Royal" with gin, brandy, vodka and some other. The good news was it was always full.
The entertainment team was dedicated and energetic. They did a good job with the day time entertainment. Night time was another story.
The canoe and pedal boat rental was easy and fun though rowing was tough in strong currents.
There was no time share pressure like Punta Cana which was a relief.

The Bad
The beach is not really what you would expect from an all inclusive in Caribbean. Move 10 feet from the sand and you will be hit with rocks so walk with water shoes. The currents are strong and not swimmable at time.
Two restaurants on site and you could book them only once during your stay. So for 7 nights you have to eat 5 nights in the buffet (and also all the breakfast and lunches are buffet) and could potentially have other 2 nights in the Italian or the steakhouse. If you are a couple or small group you can get the reservation even at 9-10 a.m but for bigger group you may want to wake up at 7 a.m to get the reservation. The Italian has a choice of 3-4 entrees with no pasta (yup Italian with no pasta). The food was bad. Steak house was not all that bad - the steak and lamb chops were fine. But do not expect Outback Steakhouse quality. The food is monotonous and after 2-3 days you start missing McDonalds (seriously). They can’t even make burgers and pizza well. The only thing worth eating was the fish and curry chicken but you can’t survive 7 days on it.
No consistency with the beverage delivery people. They are supposed to refill your fridge every 2 days and if you are lucky they would show up and refill. We had to actually chase after them to get bottle of water and Pepsi and beer to the room. One of the people in our group never had any beverage for the whole stay till they complained to the manager last day. Service could definitely use some toning up. It looks the staff was over worked and under paid - so not much enthusiasm.
The entertainment was average. Not many guest wanted to be part of it - absolutely no activity on the beach, everything was on pool side which was so much crowded. Late night activities really was average, a few shows were good like the magic show and some local dances with the attractive dresses. Rest everything was hardly bearable. They spend 1 hour giving prizes to the day participant winner so they spend less time on actual entertainment. The same staff every day except for a few nights when outsiders came in. The same music and the same moves.
No English channels on TV which made life difficult for kids as they were bored. No good kid’s entertainment on site - luckily the internet connection was excellent for $10 per day or $20 for 3 days which made the Netflix subscription completely worth the monthly price. The free internet in lobby was a joke.

The Ugly
The New Year program was a huge disappointment. Watched a Broadway copycat show of Chicago. No guest involvement and no dancing for the New Year. It was boring watching Dominicans doing Broadway show on New Year's eve. Not worth the extra month we paid for New Year.
The drinks were horrible. Very cheap liquor. Period. The drinks were watered down but they would make it stronger on request - no issues. The only issue was the quality - WOW never thought I would be avoiding drinks in an all inclusive. I had to actually do outside the resort and get my own rum.
Chair hunting was an interesting game. Like mentioned in some earlier reviews if you don't claim them at 7 a.m you would get none. The same case with the beach chairs. We had one person assigned everyday to wake up to get chairs.
The staff at the disco stole our umbrella and acted as if they did not understand English. The disco was usually empty with a lot of smoke and loud music.

Overall an average experience and would NOT return.

Room Tip: There was stench near buildings 14 where we were staying. Choose the water facing rooms. The A/C was...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family