ClubHotel Riu Bachata
  • Restaurant
Heavens Coral(Puerto Plata)
  • Beachfront
View Hotel
ClubHotel Riu Mambo(Puerto Plata)
Hotel Condado(Puerto Plata)
5,622 results
All reviewsbikini barevery other daytwo weekscaribbean streetanimation teammain restaurantmini bardominican republicthomson repswater shoesmeringuegreat holidaythemed nightsplenty of sunbedssister hotelparadise islandsafe key
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Spent a week at the Riu Bachata, very clean resort, the grounds are beautiful well kept, the dining room experience was great, I enjoyed most of the food, there was always something to eat that I liked. They baked there own bread, lots of variety. Lots of chicken , pork and fish. Barbecued lunches were done by the pool bar. All staff were great they treated us with respect. Beautiful room on the 3rd floor overlooking the one side of the beach. It is a huge resort we were the furthest from the main lobby we didn't mind. Front lobby was kept very clean, the cleaning staff were always cleaning the lobby bathrooms . Maid was stationed outside the main dining room with hand sanitizer. Overall I was very pleased.

Room Tip: We asked for a ocean view , we got one the Room number was 137, we had a partial view of the ocean from our balcony
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GretaCanada
Reviewed 13 January 2014

The Food

was great even when we didn't go to the a la carte restaurants you had to get up pretty early to get a spot in one of those but it was worth it. The buffet had an amazing variety of food. there was local fish for each day as well as several ethnic Dominican foods. The local beer Presidente is about the only beer your going to get but it is a very good pilsner.

The Grounds

were spectacular it was quite windy a couple of days we were there and there was always staff busily cleaning up and debris and effecting general upkeep. At no time during the week we were there did we see anything that indicated lack of maintenance. The snack bars and actual bars were all tidy and clean.

The Room

was of a good size nothing huge and fancy but this was a packaged vacation from sun wing. We had a good view of Isabelle des Torres(mountain). I wouldn't recommend getting an ocean view as they are building a cruise ship harbour on that side(It was pretty neat to watch them dredge and put in the supports for the quay though) We didn't hear or feel the pile drivers at any point and time unless we went to the public beach just off the property.

The Staff

There was nothing that they would not do to make your stay better. We didn't ask much of them but I watched some other people there go to them with issues and they were all resolved quickly and politely. Polite doesn't even cover it they always seemed happy and ready to help. The waiting staff in the dinning rooms were very fast and efficient. The reception desk was ready to answer any questions. The cleaning and housekeeping staff were good and always busy keeping things just so.

The Beach

The beach has a lot of trees on it for some this might be a down tick but for us it was a bonus we enjoyed lounging under either palms or mango trees after swimming. There is a natural reef about 120yds off the shoreline so there was some corral and stones on the beach but not a lot. But it was a gorgeous view.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tyler R
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Ten of us stayed from Boxing Day to Jan. 2, 2014. We met up with other family members already there. We were impressed by the cleanliness of the resort, and the grounds were well kept. The rooms we had in the 200 block were great! Close to pool, snack bar and beach. The activities were good, shows were fun, and well done. Never had issues finding lounge chairs, and the beach was nice. Yes it is heavily treed, but just move your chair to get full sun! Food and drinks were all good, the chicken in the Italian rest was really good, the pepper steak at the steakhouse was delicious! Buffet always had something even if you were a picky eater. Snack bars had lots of food, and ice cream was great for everyone. Ate too much rice pudding over the course of the week, but it was really good ( except for New Year's Eve as the milk had soured). Family had massages both on and off resort ( to the bottom of the stone steps in the Maimon area was a better bargain, and everyone was impressed). Pool activities were fun, kids even played beer pong in the pool! The bar staff were quick and drinks were as strong as you wanted (banana mammas!) Didn't use the bottles of booze in the rooms much, as we sat most nights near the theatre bars. Loved amaretto on ice in the evenings while watching the shows. Casino was as you would think, and referred to as the donation centre!
We rented a taxi and guide at the lobby. Segundo was great, and stayed with us the whole day in Puerto Plata and Sousua Beach. His price was good (he is negotiable) and took 8 of us in a van. Crazy drivers on scooters and motorbikes, so be careful!! Snorkelled at Sousua beach which was good but not much to see. Paradise Island tour was fun ( boat ride was interesting, still recovering from bumping along the waves) and the snorkelling here was much better especially if you went over the reef. Got some nice pictures, the water is so blue here! Lunch after was a nice little buffet and drinks were included. The only down side is the 11/2 hour bus ride to and from.
Overall, we had an excellent vacation at the Bachata, and would go back. They are building a cruise ship port in the bay to the west of the resort and this may be something you might consider, but it never was an issue for us as they were on a break for the Christmas holiday. Some said they started the pile driving at 6 am daily and is supposed to be ready by October.
The mountains and the ocean were worth the price alone.

Room Tip: 200 block ground floor was great!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank sunseekers67
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed over Christmas, food and drink OK but had problems trying to book for Italian & Grill restaurant, had to be at breakfast at 07.00 to have any chance to book it. Also facilities could be used by next door Riu Merengue, this caused a problem with sun beds and lunch time eating, always too busy.The building work (in the bay-new harbour) could be heard all over the area, sometimes from 05.00 till late, thank goodness for Christmas, they had a couple of days off.

Room Tip: Try and get room near reception, block 8
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rogerhackett
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I have left writing a review about this hotel till now because I wanted to see the outcome of my complaint to Thomson. I have been less than impressed by the service I have received from them. You might as well not have the reps as their only worth seems to be to sell excursions. When we arrived at the Riu Bachata it was obvious that building work was happening in the bay next to the hotel. My room was on the side of the building and we had a lovely view from the balcony of the building site. This work turned out to be happening 24 hours a day except for a brief lull on Sunday afternoons till early on the Monday morning. I complained to the rep and asked to move, even upgrade to another hotel but he told me there was 'Nothing he could do'. Later when I found out from another guest that I had to get a form from the rep for the complaint to be valid when I returned home, I went back to the rep who seemed amazed that he hadn't offered me a change of room. Very selective memory I think. By then we only had three days left - one of them a Sunday - so it didn't seem worth the upheaval. We also had no warning that the swim up pool was to be painted with the subsequent noise and dust from that caused. To avoid all of this we spent as long as we could at the other Hotel
The Riu Bachata itself would have been ok considering how much we paid for the holiday. Not the best food, drink etc but then I didn't pay the best prices for it. Just avoid it for the next few months.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple