“AWESOME VACATION!!!!!”

Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
London
“AWESOME VACATION!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

I was very worried about the reviews of this resort but went for it because the price was right.

Im glad i was wrong. I didn't need to be worried at all.

This was the cleanest resort i have ever been to. the food was good but not excellent but definitely better than Cuba. We emailed the resort and requested a room closer to the lobby as we were worried about the noise from the building of the pier in the bay and it was granted but even when i was out and about i never heard noise anyway.

The shows were good but after a week become repetitive. The casino was fun and i won way more than i spent. just lucky i guess. I was happy to see that the casino was closed during the day.

My wife and i and our daughter had the best vacation ever at this resort and would recommend it to anyone. there were never any problems with the locals but there were some there and they just kept to themselves.

Staff were awesome and catered to us like royalty always a smile.

The beach was great. lots of shade if that's your thing and tons of space for sun i never had an issue. the pool bar was a big hit everyday. we met lots of awesome people from all around the world.

We would definitely recommend this resort and hopefully return to it one day. I truly believe that your vacation is what you make it.

Watch out for the constant pestering from the locals wanting you to buy stuff and always negotiate the price as they over inflate everything.

I was hoping to run into someone from TripAdvisor but no luck that i know of

Room Tip: ask for the room blocks of 7,8,9,10 closest to everything
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank AndrewandPam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,015)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Wasaga Beach, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

We stayed here the week of January 6 2014 we were a group of 18 of us an we had an amazing time. The resort is clean the pool bar staff is awesome the food was good considering where you are. I'm a pretty picky person and I would definitely recommend this place.... Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Soakinsun
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

Just returned from a 2week stay at the Riu Bachata in Puerta Plata, after reading some reviews, was a bit worried. No need to worry this hotel was fantastic, anything asked of the staff, they were only to happy to help. The staff were very friendly,polite and always had a smile. The hotel was very clean and there was something for everyone to eat in the restaurants. The pool area was very clean, and there was staff going round fetching you drinks if you wanted them to. The hotel rooms had king size beds and plenty of storage space and were cleaned daily, you received a card at check-in so you can get clean beach/pool towels every day. The reps were also very helpful, as Dindo said to us at the welcome meeting, he wants everyone to have a Excellente holiday, and we certainly did. We will definitely be returning in the future, thanks again to all the staff at Riu Bachata :-))

8 Thank Jools4901
BAHIAPRINCIPE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

We just came back from a 2 week vacation (Jan.19 to Feb 2)

I don't know why people complain. We were debating if we should or shouldn't go because of mixed reviews and we are glad we went.

We usually go to Iberostar Costa Dorada but it was fully booked therefore we decided on the Riu.
I perfer the Iberostar but many things are similar at the Riu Bachata.

In brief form:
-Food is good and so is the service
-There is an alarm clock in the room and their wake up call was delivered on time
-No coffee maker in room
-Bring your own shampoo (only bath gel furnished)

-I do not know if it was because of the month but no mosquitos or sand fleas and I always get badly bitten when there are. However, I would bring mosquito repellent just in case.

-There aren't people trying to sell you things on the beach which is a big plus.
-There is a house band playing before and after the show that guests could dance to.
-Only the first week there was BBQ on the beach which was very good.

-As for construction workers and the noise there is no need to worry about. We were in building 2 which is very close to the construction and hardly ever heard any noise in the room. We had a very quiet room. However, I would avoid the ocean view rooms since maybe there you would hear some noise and the you would see construction as your view.

- They did not alternate as some said between one night Steakhouse and the other Italian. Both a la carte restuarants were open each day. You could book for 6:30 or 8:30.
-We enjoyed the steakhouse it was very good.
-The italian was also good they had great appetizer's.

We could only get reservation in the first week at 8am there was still some space. As for the second week it was impossible. Every morning they take the reservations for the day.
Every hotel we visited we always can reserve for the week and everyone gets a chance to go. Here you have to stand in line at 7am to get a reservation. At this hotel if you are an early bird you can get a reservation and if not I was told by 7:30 everything is completely booked. I do not see the fairnest in that. The should should change their policy to accomodate everyone.

-I think the Bachata is better then the Merenque. The Merenque has a better beach and better animation team (more alive and funny)......... but facilities are much better a Bachata.

If Iberostar is not available and price is right.....We would return to Riu Bachata.

5 Thank SAMANABahiaprincipe
Mallorytown, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

Just returned Jan 30/14 from a much needed vacation. Is the Riu an amazing wonderful resort? Well that depends on your expectations. We enjoyed it very much. The rooms are comfortable & very clean. We were in Room 707 which meant we were central to everything. We have no complaints about the food, it was plentiful & the right temperature most of the time.I was able to have variety at the buffet each day because I am not one of those people who pile my plate with everything at each sitting. I like to take a little, eat it all & if still hungry go back for seconds. I watched so many people take over full plates (sometimes taking all that was left of a dish) go to their table & eat a few bites then set a still full plate aside & go for more. Please people remember your manners. The a la carte are good, you won't leave hungry. We celebrated my birthday at he Steakhouse & it was excellent. With just a mention when reserving that it was for my birthday we were treated to a lovely flower & balloon decorated table & at the end of the meal they came out singing Happy Birthday & brought a cake. It was very nice. If you are visiting the Riu intent on only drinking & hanging out at a swim up bar you will love it there. If you are going for gourmet cuisine you will not love it, so best to go to New York or Paris. The beach is nice & it goes on for quite a distance making for a lovely place to walk. Yes there is construction off shore for Carnival Cruise docking, we only heard them working one morning & we were up between 5 & 6am each day. Each & every staff member is ready & willing to make your stay enjoyable. I had issues with my cell phone & twice asked for help at the front desk & they were more than happy to make it work for me. I am sure they probably had a good laugh at how non tech suave I am lol. The best part is all the great people you meet on vacation & we met many. Some we went to shows with, others for shopping, going on excursions or just hanging by the pool or beach. It's your vacation & only you can make it good or bad. We had a good vacation.

14 Thank Myrla H
Milton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just got back from what we had hoped to be a perfect much needed alone time. After emailing Fredrick the hotel assistant manager he had let me pick which building we wanted to be in. I chose building 2 and he said no problem. We had stayed at the mambo in 2011 but loved bachata so I knew what we were in for. Unfortunately because the riu is for sale there it really shows in the need for replacement of mini fridges, a/c in rooms. Food ( ugh disgusting) lobby furniture terribly worn out. The nice bus was a welcone but the person talking about the um maybe 3 things HE thought he would tell us what it was called even though there were many many beautiful sights. We knew them from our previous trip. We had a tip ready for him but no way were we going to give it to him sucks to be him because of the 30 couples or so he could have gotten an easy $60 bucks if he showed some personality. Be careful getting out in front of the resort they have the driveway under construction and I saw a poor elderly woman get out of the bus and fall into the stupid crevice and bang the back of her head. She ended up ok. But that was scary for her I'm sure. When we finally got our room key. Very very unorganized and slow they were not prepared for the two buses to come no excuse. I found Fredrick lied to me and completly blindsided us and put us in an "oceanview" as we paid for but it was over the bay that was filled with the ugly carnival cruise lines construction. I cried. After saving for so long to be let down like this. After looking at two other rooms I have in through tears and we stayed in the 700 block which we did end up loving the beautiful palm trees blowing from our second floor. Oh and for those who decide to get very inebriated thank you for the great laughs at your wives glaring at you as you wobble to and fro lol. Love the pool and pool bar. Love(d) the rice pudding and creme brûlée but don't think ill be able to eat it for a while. The entertainment team are hilarious and the night entertainment is all worth watching. Unfortunately because if the cruise line coming and the resort in disrepair we won't be back. Made some lifelong friends from jersey though

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank youngbeachnana
yorkshire-uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

Stayed 14th to 28th January 2014. Very impressed with arrival and departure at the airport, no long queues, very modern and fully air conditioned.

Our Reps, Dindo and Jose, well only one word to describe them EXCELLENTE. Very interesting to talk too and very informative. Nothing was to much trouble, even booking the Steak House Restaurant for us to save queuing at 7 a.m. WELL DONE GUYS

Check in is very well organized. Luggage delivered to our room within 10 mins. Our sea view room in block 2 was exceptionally clean and had everything we needed. We had two 3/4 sized beds which were extremely comfortable. air/con very efficient, mini bar stocked every other day and water every day and you can also pick water up from reception.
Our room maid Ramona did a very good job and was always smiling.

We ate mainly in the Bahia de Maimon Restaurant, and always found something we liked. There was always a very good choice of salads and fresh fruits. Meals only become boring if you eat the same things everyday, but there is so much choice..... We were not too impressed with the Italian Restaurant but other people we know did enjoy it! We booked the Steak House twice and had an excellent meal both times.

We found the pool a bit too shaded for us also a bit noisy at times. So went to the beach most days or the pool at the Riu Merengue Gardens (Riu Mambo). The beach is very shaded in front of the Hotel due to many palm trees, but plenty of space further along and there is always plenty of loungers. If you go into the sea near the point wear beach shoes as we saw quite a few sea urchins AARchhh Ouch!!!!

We did not hear much nose at all from the cruise terminal maybe 10 mins now and again when the pylons are going in, in fact we spent a lot of time on the beach there as it was less crowded!

entertainment was varied, and you can always walk up to the other two hotels for a change.

Francisco the Hotel Manager was always walking around and chatting to people. Also Delmis the Reception Manager is extremely helpful, in fact all the staff are very polite.

I enjoyed a few evenings in the Casino (Texas holdem ) which was quite profitable...

So another fab holiday and we are returning March 2014 if not before......

5 Thank sue-ludlam
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#4 of 41 in Puerto Plata
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,322 reviews

Been to ClubHotel Riu Bachata? Share your experiences!