“Great holiday”

ClubHotel Riu Bachata
Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
“Great holiday”
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

This was a fantastic holiday with great accommodation and staff!! The hotel was clean and tidy, maids came in the rooms everyday, there was even a guy swimming round the pool every morning making sure it was clean scrubbing the edges!! The food was good I would not say it was 4/5 star but it was still more than ok and plenty of choice to. The thomson reps where great very helpful and so friendly!! The mini bar in the room was a nice extra and got refilled every other day, we did run out of water one day but just went to reception and they have us an extra one no problem!! I would recommend and I would return myself!!!

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Shaun R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,014)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Went as a couple and had a wonderful time in Riu Bachata. Really confused at all the bad reviews of this place before we went as I was very impressed by the resort and sunwing itself.
PRO's
1. Great Food- Great Selection every day and the breakfast was amazing
2. The hotel and the grounds were absolutely spotless
3. Staff were so friendly , they really made the holiday.
4. Beach was amazing and the water was so clear.
Cons
1. Would have liked waiters on the Beach to serve us drinks instead of always having to go to the Bar
2. Not really a five star resort when you have to rent an iron
3. Entertainment after the nightly show was poor and the disco on the resort was very bad. I was shocked you had to pay for drinks there.

Overall I would still highly recommend this resort

Room Tip: Definitely make it for breakfast before ten it is worth the early wake up.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hegarty147
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This was without doubt a nightmare for us . I don't like to complain but this has to be said , Beware What was a beautiful bay is now being turned into a cruise liner port ,the work is continuing for the next year. The hotel doesn't come close to a 2 star never mind 4 star. Food is bland and terrible. The room we stayed in was disgusting , plugs off the wall , no fan in the bathroom, curtain rail hanging off , mini bar not filled, Thompson rep never there ( I'll never book with them again) reception staff very unhelpful. This hotel and Thompson need to update and get there act together . By the way if you complain to Thompson , they will fob you off ! Bad , bad service all round ???

Room Tip: Don't go , if you do ,stay away from block 5,6,7,8 they're blasting and driving steels into...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank Mark S
Thornhill, Canada
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We were there for a week arriving April 20th. Had a great room 1002 very clean with balcony, great bed, cold a/c and great shower with good water pressure and hot water all the time. Two pools very nice had to get to the pool by 7am to get chairs for the day but thats normal in most places. Staff were very friendly. The buffet was fantastic we do this all inclusives 3 times a year and the buffet here was the best yet better then the alacartes. Only very small issue was we had to check out at noon but bus to airport was not until 4pm. They wanted out towels back for noon finally after my wife put up a fuss they let us keep them until we left guess we looked like notorious towel thieves. Overall our best trip yet and will return there soon.

Room Tip: we stayed i room 1002 very close to beach, pool, buffet and lobby great location.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gmfriedman
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Went to this resort from the 22nd to the 29th. I had an amazing time. No issues what so ever. The resort was very clean, the staff were awesome. The resort was full of energy and the shows at night were very interactiveand funny. Im not a picky eater, so I thought the food was alright. The buffet was either a hit or miss. Although the a la cartr for the italian was very good. Highly recommended. Bartenders were entertaining as well (jose, tuele, Patrick , angel) were definitely the go to guys for drinks. Overall it was a good experience and would go there again in the future.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank O'Neil M
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This was our first holiday to the Caribbean. We travelled along with roughly 35 others for a family wedding, Overall our experience of the Bachata was extremely good. The resort is lovely and very well maintained. The swim up pool was a big hit with adults and children alike, and the rest of the pool was well used by us all (some fun games of volleyball stand out). All of the staff appeared friendly, but special mention goes to the entertainment staff (can't single anyone out as they were all so fab, but my daughter loved Angelina) who worked hard to get people involved in fun games around the pool in the day, and dancing at night, but were never pushy and we never felt forced to join in. Also the security manager (who's name escapes me) who was incredibly friendly and welcoming. I thought the beach was very pretty but if you're looking for a wide stretch of powdery white sand this isn't the resort for you! The sea is fairly rocky in places but there is an area about 20 metres out to sea opposite Caribbean Street, where if you take some bananas and walk out to the rocks you will find a school of angelfish, and they will happily feed on the bananas (thanks to an earlier trip advisor review for that info, was one of the highlights of my holiday.) The sea will be up to your shoulders but totally worth doing!! We used the watersports centre and again staff seemed friendly and eager to please.
Yes there are locals that arrive for the weekend, and reading reviews got me quite worried as our party included small children, but there were no problems on either of the weekends we were there, the locals were mainly families and their children played very happily alongside my own! They weren't pushy or rude in the dining hall (i actually saw much worse behaviour from tourists), nor were they dirty or disrespectful around the pool, so no problems there!
I thought the food was lovely, sometimes the meat could be very chewy so I quickly realised if I stuck to the carved meat there was no problems, in fact it was very tasty. I enjoyed being able to try a wide variety of foods, and although there was not much that my children would eat it was their own fault for being so fussy! If you eat a large variety of foods you should have no problem with the food here. The drink was also fine, if it was watered down I didn't notice and wouldn't care, i'd just go and get another drink! The "drinky drinky" man appears to carry all "good" branded spirits and he isn't afraid to pour them! Just a thought for anyone bothered by local spirits!
The room was maybe slightly worn looking but it was spacious, our beds were very comfortable, no problems with water supply, hairdryer etc. The flush broke on our toilet but was fixed quickly. We left a 3DS charging in the room and when we went back security had been called by the maid. Apparently it's standard practice if anything of value is left where the maid can see it, and we were asked to put it in the safe in future!
A few points- the air conditioning is different and works differently in each room, took us a while top figure ours out whereas others in our party had a system that was easier to work. was fine when it worked, and never bothered me!
Drinks in the fridge in your room are definitely NOT topped up every other day, and as you're using water to brush your teeth it runs out quickly, a few times I had to ask reception to replace the water. The reception always appeared friendly but sometimes had to ask more than once for water to be topped up, and also had issues getting through using the phone.
The room was fine, spacious and plenty good enough for our needs.
People do get up early and reserve the best sunbeds, and because of the positioning of the palm trees there aren't that many beds that get the sun all day,but we never struggled to get sunbeds, just not always where we wanted them.
The excursions are brilliant but VERY expensive. Oceanworld was a brilliant, once in a lifetime experience, and we all did the royal swim, but boy did we have to pay for the privilege, I know this isn't the hotel's fault but be aware if you want to leave the hotel and explore the island it'll cost you!
The entertainment at night isn't amazing but they're doing their best, and I enjoyed some of the nights, such as the chicago caberet night. My children used to line their chairs up at the front of the stage to watch the shows, and sometimes I would cringe at some aspects of the entertainment as it was maybe too grown up for them, but I went with it. Others who are more sensitive may find this an issue.
We went to the other hotels a couple of times to eat and use their pool but found our hotel to be better, nicer restaurant and pool. Nowhere to eat after about 9pm though, other than some sandwiches in the fridge by the bar, so if you want to eat later then its a walk to the Merengue!
The sellers on Caribbean street weren't as pushy as i thought they'd be, but still felt compelled to avoid the shops, whereas I'd have liked a good browse! A few in the wedding party used the beauty salon to do their hair and nails and I can recommend them, they did a great job!
The wedding was amazing (despite some dubious weather during the day) everyone felt well looked after, and the other guests were lovely, having heard about the wedding some of them also turned out to watch and were so pleased for the happy couple!
If I'm honest I'm not a fussy type of person and would take something pretty bad for it to ruin my holiday, but our whole party absolutely loved our holiday here. It was pretty cheap for the Caribbean and I guess you get what you pay for, so if you want somewhere more fancy, nicer beach and possibly better entertainment then pay more for it. For me and my family it was a fantastic base for a fabulous family holiday!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank jujulovemusic
AdventureLovers
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed at the Riu Bachata April 14th to 21st and had a ball!
We also stayed here last year and it definietly is a 5 start resort.

Check-in: Everything was very efficient for our hotel check in.We were
presented upon arrival with an envelope containing our key,a map of the
resort,key to room safe,and towel cards. A porter was waiting to take our
luggage to the room immediately.

The Rooms
The rooms were spacious,modern with a nice bathroom,inroom safe,and
bar.Maid service was great.No complaints.

The Buffet Restaurant:
This restaurant had plenty of variety no matter which meal you attended.
The food and service were excellent all around.

The A-La-Cartes
Went to both the Italian and Steakhouse during our stay.Again,the food and
service were excellent.I was surprised with the ease of booking.We are usually
late risers and get to the buffet about 9:30 to 9:45AM and never expected to be
able to reserve thr A-La-Cartes that late because they start reserving them
when the buffet doors open at 7AM.However,we never had a problem reserving.

The Beach Restaurant
Again,the choices and the good food were abundant.

The Beach
The beach is shared with the other two Riu resorts(Riu Merengue and Riu Merangue
Village, so you have quite a choice of sandy,and sunny or shady beach ,whichever you prefer.There were plenty of beach chairs.
If you like swimming there isn't a whole lot of sandy bottom area except
down in front of the Riu Merengue Village,towhich all Bachata guest have access.
Otherwise in front of the Bachata,while there is a nice wide sandy beach area,
there isn't a whole lot of sandy bottom in the swimming area,but it is
good for snorkeling.If you just want to get wet and relax in the water there is an adequate
sandy bottom,and if you approach the rocky area and bring bread,on calm days you can entice
all kinds of colorful fish to swim with you.Pretty neat!
The only other thing we didn't like about the beach was that,we like walking for miles,
and the beach is probably no more than a mile long so we missed out on that.Otherwise,
if you want to sunbathe and to float around in the water, this beach is fine.

The Pool
Nice pool and great place to meet people and has a nice pool bar.Always busy.

Entertainment
The entertainment was large and there was a band ever night for dancing before the
main show.The shows were good and much like all other shows at resorts.
Very nice.

Overall Rating
We would definitely rate this a 5 out of 5.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
#61 of 110 in Punta Cana
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#5 of 41 in Puerto Plata

Been to ClubHotel Riu Bachata? Share your experiences!