“great holiday,”

ClubHotel Riu Bachata
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We booked for the riu meringue , but got moved to the Bachata so was a little worried, after staying at the meringue last year, but we couldn't fault it the staff are fantastic can't do enough for you , the food was very good , day time activities very good and a great way to meet people and have a good laugh, only downside for us was the evening entertainment which could be better, having said that holiday overall was very good, so don't be put off by negative reviews about this hotel,,

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank nigel a
Write a ReviewReviews (5,495)

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Well I have been to the Bachata 11 times now so I guess that proves I like it lol . The staff at this place are brilliant . You are looked after indeed spoilt . The one thing that has changed is they have stopped letting the locals in at weekends . I have seen a lot of complaints in the past about that but to be honest I never had a problem with them . I did hear a man complain about the lid on the soup turin . I couldn't believe it the bloody lid on the soup turin indeed the hinge was a bit loose no problem . I did notice though they changed it the next day . By the way try the soup I love it don't have it at home but do at the bachata . There's plenty of fish to be seen if you go snorkelling get some bread out of the restaurant to feed the fish with ' you can borrow snorkels and flippers from the beach shack . wind surfers pedallows and canoes too if you want . The only bad bit for me is the building work on the bay at the side of the bachata . There building a dock for cruise liners and it has totally spoiled what used to be a natural bay . Well done Carribean cruises I will never ever get on one of their boats . This isn't part of the bachata although there is a foot path down to the bay and shops behind also . I made some excellent friends there yet again . Every one is so relaxed it is so easy to talk to people I now have friends all over the world from folks I have met at the Bachata . You must get out of the complex too . If you go out of the gates to the top of the road you can jump on a bus 25 pesos to Puerta Plata or a local taxi for no more than 500 pesos . He will wait for you and bring you back for the same amount . If you do venture out make sure you visit Big Lees beach bar on the Malicon . Say hello from Bill and try his fish and chips and freezing cold presidente lol . Also the Tam Tam at the other end of the Malicon . Belongs to a nice Canadian guy called Richard Blanchette . Good food there too try the baby lobster (langostine ) really good . I guarantee you will have a good time here don't go looking for faults just relax and enjoy yourself

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
20  Thank thornhillDewsbury
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I had the best time for the money, couldnt ask for any better service, room, views, pool and the grounds are immaculate. Safe place for anyone to be, went into Puerta Plata and everyone is so nice. Just one problem for my trip and it was this psycho woman, who was looking for a free ride, she complains for a living. Their was nothing she did not complain about, from the airport to the departure taxes. So if you read about stuff being stolen it is completely false, i had a friend leave 100 on her dresser and it was still there when she returned. I had another leave the maid money and she didnt even take it. Totally safe and totally amazing experience. Will be returning in a heart beat!

Room Tip: Had the ocean view room, just stunning
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank bellequerido1971
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I was dreading this hotel after all the reviews that i had read. And i was really surprised to find it the exact opposite .the hotel does need a face lift but the rooms are clean and pleasant enough for even the most fussy of guests.the grounds are spotless as is the beach.the pool area although dated is well maintained and clean the staff cant do enough for you.the entertainment staff work hard and do there best to keep the party mood going .even the bar staff join in.The food was a bit repetative but there was plenty of it and always something you could eat .the waiters were ever present and attentive .antonio was a great waiter for us .overall this hotel and its staff go beyond all expectations.so go with an open mind and you will enjoy this hotel .

• Stayed: June 2014
8  Thank Renemactaz
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Had an amazingly fun time with friends. We were a group of 14 and we absolutely loved every minute of this trip. GREAT staff with GREAT entertainment!! Loved the food and also the other Riu property we had access to. Activities were just a walk away and were so much fun! Don't let one bad review keep you from going to his amazing resort. Trust me, this resort is well worth it and you will love your vacation!

Room Tip: All rooms are very nice no matter where you're located.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ty J
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Ok so first of all the last time I went here was in 2010. But I feel I have to write a review on this place because it deserves it. The staff are really friendly but not overbearing. Rooms are nice although basic. If something goes wrong they'll fix it or move you. Alcoholic beverages are available I the rooms as part of the allinclusive package. Pools tend to get busy and if I'm honest are not my favorite place as my eyes are extremely sensitive anyway.

The beaches are just bliss. I'm certainly not a bore and my work entales quite a bit of travel and action but it was great to just kick backand rread a few books whilst lazing on the beach. Food is awesome and is varied throughout. Its common to get a bit of an upset tummy but this isn't through poor hygiene but rather a change in diet.

I actually got married at the hotel in 2007. There is a nice little structure located at the end of a rocky spur however the going underfoot is not easy and as my mother is disabled we decided to have our ceremony on the beach. The one we used was tucked away to the side of the bay (if looking at pictures take from the sea its the beach located to the Left of the Spur). This beach was very calm and had good cover from the sun (a blessing in wedding gear). The staff made up a few bits for us an we had a fantastic wedding, I couldn't have asked for more. If you're intending to get married out there and provided this beach is still available then go for it.

There are plenty of activities to do if you so choose. I'd highly reccomend the quad biking.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank chalkyam
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Visited riu bachata from 25th may until the 8th June 2014.

I was a little bit worried about going to this hotel after all the troubles last year but so glad I never cancelled. :)

Rooms: great working air con, cleaned by maid everyday, be sure to tip and you will be left with a nice gift on your return to room :)
Mini bar re stocked every other day.

Pools: a nice refreshing break from the scorching mid day sun. Plenty of free sun loungers as it seemed to be low season this time of year.

Food: hot and always fresh, Breakfast was the best meal of the day. Just found it a little repetitive after two weeks.

Staff: always polite and friendly. Never been to a hotel where staff seems to be constantly working.

Just One problem With bars... When ordering a cocktail you seem to get it without the alcohol in, think you need to prompt the bar staff to actually put it in.

We only done two excursions whilst here, puerto plata city tour and ocean world. Both very good be sure to book the sea lion encounter if visiting ocean world it's the best thing I done.

Overall a lovely holiday but would not return as there is sooo many other places in the world to visit.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple