“Great time! ”

ClubHotel Riu Bachata
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Our first long haul holiday.
The resort is beautiful with several swimming pools and a long private beach. The room was excellent. Cleaned daily with fresh sheets and the large (king size) bed was very comfortable even for my 6'3" frame. Bathroom and shower was also well presented with plenty of hot water when required. The room was airconditioned which on its own would have been inadequate but the ceiling fan circulated enough cool air to make the environment comfortable.
A mini bar in the room was stocked with 4 optics dispensing rum brandy, vodka and gin. The fridge kept the fresh bottled water (replaced every other day along with the alcohol) 2 cans of Presidente beer, soda, tonic and Cola chilled. A small room safe was handy for our valuables too.
Food was available all day between 2 restaurants. The quality was very good considering it was all inclusive with plenty of options for all tastes and diets.
Drinks were the usual spirits, liquors and hot/cold beverages. The pool side bar was fun offering shade for most of the day.
Entertainment was provided at regular intervals throughout each day with poolside events, the usual darts, crazy golf, aerobics etc. The staff were first class! Always keeping us entertained, very friendly and helpful.
Reception staff were always on hand to help whether at the desk or via the phone in our room.
There were several excursions available (at extra cost) which helped to break the daily routine in the complex. We chose the day trip to Santa Dominica (Dominican Republic capital city) but the bus was rather uncomfortable and the 3 hour journey proved a trial of endurance. The Puerto Plata tour was better with a trip up the mountain in the cable car, a visit to the rum factory and several stops at retail outlets.
Ocean World was ok but I'm not a fan of captive animals being used for entertainment. There is the option of swimming with dolphins and nurse sharks, an assortment of tropical birds, lizards and a performing sealion which I felt so sorry for. He didn't look in good condition at all.
Scuba diving, jet ski's, wind surfing, snorkeling are among the water sports on offer too.
The one thing that surprised me was the abject poverty the Dominicans were living in. We never drove through or saw any affluent areas. The slums around Santiago, Santa Dominica and Puerto Plata were depressing. I didn't realise how poor this country is.
Over all the holiday was excellent although we won't be returning, mainly because 2 weeks is a long time using the same facilities without having the option of going 'off camp' for some food/entertainment every now and then. With the level of poverty outside the complex being so poor it would be madness to venture into Puerto Plata without chaperones.
The weather was red hot but very windy which actually helped make things a bit more comfortable. Humidity (especially after a rain shower) was suffocating at times and those pesky mozzies took no prisoners. Anti Hystermines along with repellant helped tremendously.
Overall the holiday was excellent and the flight, in and out, on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner was very comfortable.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Popduck

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We booked for the riu meringue , but got moved to the Bachata so was a little worried, after staying at the meringue last year, but we couldn't fault it the staff are fantastic can't do enough for you , the food was very good , day time activities very good and a great way to meet people and have a good laugh, only downside for us was the evening entertainment which could be better, having said that holiday overall was very good, so don't be put off by negative reviews about this hotel,,

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank nigel a
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Well I have been to the Bachata 11 times now so I guess that proves I like it lol . The staff at this place are brilliant . You are looked after indeed spoilt . The one thing that has changed is they have stopped letting the locals in at weekends . I have seen a lot of complaints in the past about that but to be honest I never had a problem with them . I did hear a man complain about the lid on the soup turin . I couldn't believe it the bloody lid on the soup turin indeed the hinge was a bit loose no problem . I did notice though they changed it the next day . By the way try the soup I love it don't have it at home but do at the bachata . There's plenty of fish to be seen if you go snorkelling get some bread out of the restaurant to feed the fish with ' you can borrow snorkels and flippers from the beach shack . wind surfers pedallows and canoes too if you want . The only bad bit for me is the building work on the bay at the side of the bachata . There building a dock for cruise liners and it has totally spoiled what used to be a natural bay . Well done Carribean cruises I will never ever get on one of their boats . This isn't part of the bachata although there is a foot path down to the bay and shops behind also . I made some excellent friends there yet again . Every one is so relaxed it is so easy to talk to people I now have friends all over the world from folks I have met at the Bachata . You must get out of the complex too . If you go out of the gates to the top of the road you can jump on a bus 25 pesos to Puerta Plata or a local taxi for no more than 500 pesos . He will wait for you and bring you back for the same amount . If you do venture out make sure you visit Big Lees beach bar on the Malicon . Say hello from Bill and try his fish and chips and freezing cold presidente lol . Also the Tam Tam at the other end of the Malicon . Belongs to a nice Canadian guy called Richard Blanchette . Good food there too try the baby lobster (langostine ) really good . I guarantee you will have a good time here don't go looking for faults just relax and enjoy yourself

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
20  Thank thornhillDewsbury
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I had the best time for the money, couldnt ask for any better service, room, views, pool and the grounds are immaculate. Safe place for anyone to be, went into Puerta Plata and everyone is so nice. Just one problem for my trip and it was this psycho woman, who was looking for a free ride, she complains for a living. Their was nothing she did not complain about, from the airport to the departure taxes. So if you read about stuff being stolen it is completely false, i had a friend leave 100 on her dresser and it was still there when she returned. I had another leave the maid money and she didnt even take it. Totally safe and totally amazing experience. Will be returning in a heart beat!

Room Tip: Had the ocean view room, just stunning
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank bellequerido1971
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I was dreading this hotel after all the reviews that i had read. And i was really surprised to find it the exact opposite .the hotel does need a face lift but the rooms are clean and pleasant enough for even the most fussy of guests.the grounds are spotless as is the beach.the pool area although dated is well maintained and clean the staff cant do enough for you.the entertainment staff work hard and do there best to keep the party mood going .even the bar staff join in.The food was a bit repetative but there was plenty of it and always something you could eat .the waiters were ever present and attentive .antonio was a great waiter for us .overall this hotel and its staff go beyond all expectations.so go with an open mind and you will enjoy this hotel .

• Stayed: June 2014
8  Thank Renemactaz
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Had an amazingly fun time with friends. We were a group of 14 and we absolutely loved every minute of this trip. GREAT staff with GREAT entertainment!! Loved the food and also the other Riu property we had access to. Activities were just a walk away and were so much fun! Don't let one bad review keep you from going to his amazing resort. Trust me, this resort is well worth it and you will love your vacation!

Room Tip: All rooms are very nice no matter where you're located.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ty J
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Ok so first of all the last time I went here was in 2010. But I feel I have to write a review on this place because it deserves it. The staff are really friendly but not overbearing. Rooms are nice although basic. If something goes wrong they'll fix it or move you. Alcoholic beverages are available I the rooms as part of the allinclusive package. Pools tend to get busy and if I'm honest are not my favorite place as my eyes are extremely sensitive anyway.

The beaches are just bliss. I'm certainly not a bore and my work entales quite a bit of travel and action but it was great to just kick backand rread a few books whilst lazing on the beach. Food is awesome and is varied throughout. Its common to get a bit of an upset tummy but this isn't through poor hygiene but rather a change in diet.

I actually got married at the hotel in 2007. There is a nice little structure located at the end of a rocky spur however the going underfoot is not easy and as my mother is disabled we decided to have our ceremony on the beach. The one we used was tucked away to the side of the bay (if looking at pictures take from the sea its the beach located to the Left of the Spur). This beach was very calm and had good cover from the sun (a blessing in wedding gear). The staff made up a few bits for us an we had a fantastic wedding, I couldn't have asked for more. If you're intending to get married out there and provided this beach is still available then go for it.

There are plenty of activities to do if you so choose. I'd highly reccomend the quad biking.

• Stayed: July 2013