Our first long haul holiday.
The resort is beautiful with several swimming pools and a long private beach. The room was excellent. Cleaned daily with fresh sheets and the large (king size) bed was very comfortable even for my 6'3" frame. Bathroom and shower was also well presented with plenty of hot water when required. The room was airconditioned which on its own would have been inadequate but the ceiling fan circulated enough cool air to make the environment comfortable.
A mini bar in the room was stocked with 4 optics dispensing rum brandy, vodka and gin. The fridge kept the fresh bottled water (replaced every other day along with the alcohol) 2 cans of Presidente beer, soda, tonic and Cola chilled. A small room safe was handy for our valuables too.
Food was available all day between 2 restaurants. The quality was very good considering it was all inclusive with plenty of options for all tastes and diets.
Drinks were the usual spirits, liquors and hot/cold beverages. The pool side bar was fun offering shade for most of the day.
Entertainment was provided at regular intervals throughout each day with poolside events, the usual darts, crazy golf, aerobics etc. The staff were first class! Always keeping us entertained, very friendly and helpful.
Reception staff were always on hand to help whether at the desk or via the phone in our room.
There were several excursions available (at extra cost) which helped to break the daily routine in the complex. We chose the day trip to Santa Dominica (Dominican Republic capital city) but the bus was rather uncomfortable and the 3 hour journey proved a trial of endurance. The Puerto Plata tour was better with a trip up the mountain in the cable car, a visit to the rum factory and several stops at retail outlets.
Ocean World was ok but I'm not a fan of captive animals being used for entertainment. There is the option of swimming with dolphins and nurse sharks, an assortment of tropical birds, lizards and a performing sealion which I felt so sorry for. He didn't look in good condition at all.
Scuba diving, jet ski's, wind surfing, snorkeling are among the water sports on offer too.
The one thing that surprised me was the abject poverty the Dominicans were living in. We never drove through or saw any affluent areas. The slums around Santiago, Santa Dominica and Puerto Plata were depressing. I didn't realise how poor this country is.
Over all the holiday was excellent although we won't be returning, mainly because 2 weeks is a long time using the same facilities without having the option of going 'off camp' for some food/entertainment every now and then. With the level of poverty outside the complex being so poor it would be madness to venture into Puerto Plata without chaperones.
The weather was red hot but very windy which actually helped make things a bit more comfortable. Humidity (especially after a rain shower) was suffocating at times and those pesky mozzies took no prisoners. Anti Hystermines along with repellant helped tremendously.
Overall the holiday was excellent and the flight, in and out, on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner was very comfortable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the beach in Maimon Bay * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Inside the Riu Resort, along with ClubHotels Riu Merengue and Riu Mambo * Main building plus 1 and 2-story bungalows * Surrounded by 50,000 m2 of tropical gardens * 9 km / 5.5 miles from Puerto Plata * 25 m / 81 ft. from Caribbean Street * 25 km / 15.5 miles from Puerto Plata Intl. Airport * 500 m / 1650 ft. from a bus stop * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Bachata reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Bachata Puerto Plata
- Clubhotel Riu Bachata Hotel
- Clubhotel Riu Bachata Puerto Plata
- Riu Bachata Dominican Republic
- Riu Puerto Plata
- Bachata Riu
- Club Hotel Riu Bachata
- ClubHotel Riu Bachata Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata