“Fab holiday and wedding :)”

ClubHotel Riu Bachata
Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Fab holiday and wedding :)”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Went to this hotel beginning of August with my daughter and our friends.Was my best friends wedding had a fab week can honestly say was soo much better than I expected,you will not be disappointed.Rooms were nice not wow but we don't go on holiday to sit in our room.Resort was lovely and clean.restaurants were excellent we booked in a different one nearly every night no limit on visits,service was excellent as well as the food!The wedding was perfect Maria the wedding planner was fabulous a credit to the hotel, she was their for my friend every step of the way, the wedding photographer was excellent pics were brill.the only thing that was not nice about the hotel was having to leave!!our friends are still there :( if you've booked this hotel do not worry you will love it :)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Joanne S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,026)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We spent two weeks in the sun - no rain. We cannot fault the hotel and its facilities. The room was large and spacious and we looked forward to going back there each evening to see what decoration the maid had created out of sheets or towels. We were often spoilt for choice with the food and in our opinion nobody would go hungry. The entertainment was excellent and the team lively and friendly but for the more mature you may have to put yourself forward to join in. The beach was gorgeous and we found it cooler and less noisy. We were not bothered by the building works going on in the next bay but in time we're not sure what impact it will have once the cruise liner terminal will have on the resort. We would suggest to everyone to go on the Paradise Island trip, we took the speed boat option which in itself was a first for us. It's beautiful and you must snorkel, another first for us. Equipment provided but take your own if you have it. Only negative of the holiday is the hotel is outside of town so you need to take taxis every time and there were times, particularly weekends, when the resort became very busy with large groups of noisy 'local' families. All is left to say is GO GO GO and have a 'very very good, time

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank John F
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Travelled here from mid to late July with my boyfriend. We are both 18 and found that this hotel and resort overall was absolutely perfect for what we need. As we have a massive love for hot countries and sun, Riu Bachata was exactly what we hoped for.

Having been to the Dominican Republic before, Puerto Plata was massively different from La Romana. When I last went to DR in 2008, La Romana was filled with locals wanting to do anything for a dollar and it was genuinely heartbreaking to witness. Trying to pour water on your feet after coming off beaches outwith the resort, etc. truly sad. But my experience of the DR this year was incredible.

Riu Bachata staff are all hospitable and treat you like royalty. Tullie at the bar just next to the entertainment square was our favourite. We made great friends with him and visited him many nights, he was deserving of tips as the drinks he served us were all let's just say generous on the alcohol ;) for people who say drinks are weak on alcohol... just ask for more??? No problems there. We had fantastic nights each of the 14 days we were there.

No problems with noise or rowdy adults, just couples and families alike having fun like anyone would do on a fantastic Caribbean trip in the sun. The only problem I have however with people is on the Dominican street party they host. The first week we were there it sounded awesome and we couldn't wait to go. But 30 seconds in we were forced to a stall by a very RUDE man who I presume was not a part of the hotel. He gave me a free ankle bracelet which was nice, we didn't plan on buying anything as we just wanted to join the fun and look about. HE didn't expect this, trying to charge me $150 dollars for a cheap "rose quartz" necklace and matching bracelet which was in the hotel lobby shop for $5 a piece. He then insisted on escorting us back to our hotel room so we can get money to buy it. UM NO THANKS? We immediately left the street party, feeling quite victimised because we were young. I tell you something, we didn't go back the following week.

Beach was stunning with some of the best views I have ever seen. The mountainous and green scenery reminded me of somewhere like Hawai'i, it was stunning. Clear blue seas and a massive stretch of beach so there was no problem finding beds, even by the pool or in the shade. Beds were given in abundance.

The dock being built was fine, we did not hear anything from it and we pretty much had a view of that part of the sea. Our room was fantastic; a perfect view of the mountain from our balcony and a side view of the sea from our second window. I could not have hoped for a better room and I am so grateful for the room we were given. Air con was good, it broke at one point and it was fixed within 30 minutes. The beds were so comfortable and I don't understand why ANYONE has problems with them?! We slept like a baby each night.

Food was average, all inclusive standard really. The food was the only thing I have a complaint about with Bachata. Before we went, we read a large selection of reviews on TripAdvisor about the food saying it was awful, etc. but we went with an open mind and thought "there will always be something you like, so it's fine!" WRONG. I am a fussy eater, there is no denying. I can't eat a lot of meat and I cannot stand fish. I was limited to rice, pasta, pizza most nights and it actually made me physically sick for two days because I craved a burger from home. The pizza was lovely, as was the homemade cheesy pasta and tomato pasta. IF you're not fussy, then you should be fine. The lobby shop is good for crisps and juice to change things up (but it's imported so expensive).

We also done the Paradise Island excursion which will be reviewed!!

We loved our stay at Bachata, we would definitely come back here.

Room Tip: Room 432 was the most beautiful room with the best views. Second floor in a 3-floor building. Probab...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Georgia M
Ellesmere, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

What can I say?! This was probably the best holiday I've ever been on so far. Don't have a negative thing to say about the whole two weeks me and my sister stayed.

At 22 and 18, me and my sister were both a little apprehensive about going on holiday alone so far away. We needn't have worried. The Dominican people are the friendliest people I have ever met; from the animation team, bar staff, waiters to the excursion reps and all the locals we met on them. The country itself is just so beautiful and I honestly never wanted to leave.

The hotel was great, something to do for everyone. Plenty of space on the beach and by the pools. As a picky eater, I found the food great. Lots of choice, and you know that there would always be something there that you would like. The rooms were cleaned everyday by the fantastic housekeepers who always did a great job. On arrival, we noticed ants on the balcony and coming into the room. Quick phone call to reception and they sent someone down to deal with it straight away. Didn't have any issues with ants again.

We did pay for the extra wifi usage as we couldn't cope with only 90 minutes per day, but that was just us.

The animation team; spaghetti, Tyson, gigi, chucky in particular were amazing. They all worked such long hours but remained happy and upbeat throughout. Always up for a laugh and fun.

The highlight of our holiday and something that I will always remember was the Royal VIP dolphin swim. I recommend this as a must for anyone going to Puerto Plata on holiday. It's local so not far to travel and you get to spend the entire day there. Great value for money as it truly was an amazing experience.

We enjoyed this holiday so much that me and my sister have just booked to go back again next July. Same hotel. Hopefully, same incredible holiday. This time we hope for more of the family to come with us.

Do not be put off by any negative reviews as we honestly had a fantastic time.

SEE YOU NEXT YEAR DOMINICAN :)

Room Tip: Block 200 was great. Far away enough to not be disturbed by entertainment noise, but not too far awa...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank staceygriff1991
Manchester
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Well it was with mixed feelings that we went on holiday to this hotel- some of the reviews before we travelled were absolutely terrible!!

However, I had emailed beforehand to ask for a room that was close to all facilities, as I am disabled and have walking difficulties. I received a lovely reply from Friedrich, Customer Service manager, who said they would do their utmost to help. On arrival at the hotel, greeted with Rum punch, we were given an envelope containing room key, safe deposit key (free of charge) and towel cards. Instructed to put room number stickers on our cases, we set off for our room which was in Block 8, literally next to the main entertainment stage- OMG I thought, too close?? But we had a walk in shower, excellent!!

We did wait quite a while for our cases to arrive, then quickly changed, picked up the map of the complex and set out to orient ourselves. First problem- do NOT FOLLOW THE MAP, we went round in a big circle and got nowhere fast! After a wander around we decided to get ready and have early dinner. We were at this time still following the map and ended up at the main restaurant but on the outside, ok so the way in was thru reception. There was a good choice of all different foods, meats, fish pasta etc with loads of salads , but not a lot of vegetables, or ones that were cooked to our liking. there was also a good selection of sweets, cakes and icecream as Well as cheeses and crackers.

After dinner, we went to the entertainment area and found seats to watch the evening
activities. I must say, it's been many years since I last enjoyed hotel style games, but the enthusiasm of the Animation team was certainly infectious, they always seemed to enjoy themselves and their dancing was excellent. OK so it was Game For a Laugh, but isn't fun the reason we go on holiday?? After the show finished,the team got people up to dance the Meringue, not just young girls but a variety of people.

From the Welcome Meeting onwards the TUI holiday advisors were there to help and advise from 8am to 6pm every day, without being pushy or trying to talk people into booking trips and excursions. Forgot your after sun?? No probe, go see Dindo, see what he's got in his bag behind the desk, anti-bite spray not working?? Try a different one, they keep a supply of all creams, lotions and potions that previous guests have left behind. I offered a donation, which was refused, just asked to leave our products on leaving.

Over our 2 weeks stay we became friends with some of the Animation Team, in particular Spaghetty, Chucky, Tyson and Gigi. I always enjoy Aqua fit and when Spaghetty saw I was struggling with some of the exercises, he adjusted them so I could do more.

OK so there were a few problems with the pool bar, with heavy drinkers hogging the swim-up bar in the main pool, without leaving the pool all day, hardly sanitary. So I asked the pool cleaner to speak to his boss, who came over in minutes to see what the problem was. Once he was aware, the situation was addressed. The following day, the pool h a d been scrubbed from top to bottom as edit was like swimming in a vat of Dettol!! The management also put a bar manager on the pool bar each day afterwards to ensure the problem didn't recur.

We did have a couple of maintenance problems- our walk-in shower overflowed if we put too much pressure on the shower, management were aware of this and provided a housekeeper to mop initially, then lots of extra towels.. the bolt on our patio door fell off, but the maintenance man arrived quickly and fixed it- we later got courtesy calls to make sure we had no further problems.

Overall, we had a fantastic holiday and I would not hesitate to recommend this resort to family and friends. The only real downside is the fact that after 2 weeks the food became extremely bland- if your a spice addict, take your own supply of garlic pepper, lol,!!

I would like to thank the Holiday Advisors at the Riu Bachata, the Animation Team, Freddy Cruz the restaurant manager, Friedrich, Customer service manager and all the staff for their friendliness and hospitality to all who stayed there- if you're not happy here , well............ what can I say??

SALUTE GUYS YOU'RE THE BEST, RIU BACHATA VERY VERY GOOD!!

Hasta last Vista!!

Room Tip: We stayed in 815, 2 doors down from main entertainment, never had a noise problem and never got lost...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank JenzManchester
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 August 2014

just came back from here. great food, awesome staff, fun entainment crew, fun,fun, fun, fun, and relaxation all in one place..great for families ,couples, and freinds.. they also have excursions you can book in the lobby..

Room Tip: its a big resort i think the closest to the reception would be best. that way you dont have a long w...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank max o
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is kind of small compare with the east coast hotels. The different is that the foods in this hotel are tasty like home made; its not commercial. Employees are friendly and helpful. My room was clean including the bathroom, no mold or an strange smell. The eating area were clean as well. Only few people smoking by the Buffett area which it was uncomfortable for me and my family to eat.

I will recommend to administration of this hotel to change the mattresses, they are very old that i could feel the sprints and very hard to sleep on it. Another big problem that this hotel has is that the AIR CONDITIONERS are not working properly during night time. Only work for a period of time in the afternoon and during the night the AC stop working just the fan continues working. The room gets humid and hot. My family and I stayed there for three nights and I could not sleep for one night because the humidity and the height temperature in the room. I felt exhausted for the luck of sleep. I requested a change of room and it was not done, I also reported the problem of the AC and nothing was done. I will say that 80% or more complained regarding this problem, on the hotel lobby it was the conversation topic. The corporation has to fix this problem otherwise this hotel is going down the hill like others in Puerto Plata.

The entertainment was very good, those people are full of energy and enthusiasm.

To visitors PLEASE give some tips, while I was there i did not see no ones giving tips except my family, remember those employees work very hard to serve us for a little of money and for the amount of drinks/foods that is consumed they deserve at least one dollar tips. Remember if you want to be treated like a star behave like one. We will go back to this hotel only if the AC are working properly.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#5 of 41 in Puerto Plata
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,376 reviews

Been to ClubHotel Riu Bachata? Share your experiences!