“Ignore the moaners!”

ClubHotel Riu Bachata
Ranked #11 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
“Ignore the moaners!”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I always give credit where credit is due & this hotel & its staff deserve credit.
The hotel is SPOTLESS & there are cleaners EVERYWHERE.
All the staff are polite & eager to help. The rooms may need a bit of an update but who goes on holiday to stay in the room? Food was a good standard with something for everyone & well cooked, the steakhouse is the best but you need to book at 7am or you wont get in.
Carribean & italian need to be booked also & are of a good standard.
The bars are well stocked & everything is available without a major wait.
Gripes would be, The beach is stoney as you enter the water & you really could do with sea shoes, the locals come at the weekends & although some are decent the majority are animals & wont hesitate in walking into the front of the line, they like a confrontation aswell so be prepared to stand your ground! We went to Paradise Island & it was a disaster, It cost me $356 for my group & when we got there it was packed, there were about 500 people & it was completely waterlogged, NO sand as in the pictures so you jumped off the boat & had to stand in calf high water, we asked to be brought back after 20 minutes, not worth the money!
Carribean street is a bit of a pain as the shopkeepers try & drag you into the shops & hassel you, be beware that once in a couple of the shops you have to get firm to get out.
Ignore the moaners, this hotel is well worth the visit the staff are all great, its clean & well run.
We were upgraded from the Merengue & thank god, Give it a whirl while your there, you'll realise why Thomson is not accepting bookings there anymore.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Stu B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,046)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Stayed here last year for my Birthday, to date this is the best vacation ever. The staff at This resort is really amazing they work really hard.
Customer Services...5
Clean...5
Location ...5
Entertainment..5
Would definitely return!

• Stayed October 2013
5 Thank samguyana
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Excellent. Staff were very helpful and friendly and efficient. The entertainment staff were funny and were keen to show you new dances like Salsa and Bachata and were diverse each night. The catering staff and food was nice and the pools and bars entertaining.

6 Thank Falishia C
United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We were very skeptical about booking this hotel due to the mix of good and bad reviews but we thought what the hell, we'll make up our own minds.

We had a fantastic holiday as Dominican Republic is such a beautiful country and i would highly recommend to anyone.

The hotel on the other hand well, firstly we got into our hotel room and the fridge wasnt working (this was soon rectified when we established that it had been pulled out of the wall) so this was sorted quickly after i plugged it back in. However this wasnt the only thing that wasnt good, the room smelt very badly of damp but we refused to go and see reception as we were worried about the previous reviews stating they lost a few days going from room to room and we thought that we could just deal with ti. in hindsight we should have changed as when we got home all our clothes stank of damp and some to this day still do after numerous amounts of washing.

The hotel as a complex and also where it is situated is amazing and beautiful, we just loved it but th entertainment was boring, the animation team was anything but active as they hardly ever walked the pool to get people involved and sometimes we didn't even know that things were going on until it was the end of the game etc.

The Caribbean strret is good but it is just typical holiday shops on the hotel complex but you still get followed around and yelled at to come into their shop, they just don't listen to the word no!

The food was well, this is no where near 5 star quality, i would say it barely scrapes 3 stars. it was bland, same food day in day out apart from the odd themed night where it was just the same bland tasting food just slightly different to the other nights. If you like chips and pizza then you'll love this hotel although by the end of 2 weeks you'll be sick of the sight of them.

Excursions were amazing and id recommend the royal dolphin swim to anyone but you'll need around $100 for photos of the day if you want a few.

the hotel staff were rubbish apart from the cleaners and the bar staff. the other staff hardly lifted a finger and also looked straight through my girlfriend and at me when she was the one speaking to them, not sure if its because she is a women and im the man or what but you don't expect this in a 5 star hotel.

all in all, it was a fab holiday but only because of the excursions and also the island, the hotel was a massive disappointment with rooms, food and also the staff. this should definitely be re-labelled as a 3 star hotel at best and certainly not a 5 star platinum rage that Thompson has claimed it to be, we shall be writing to them shortly

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jay_schweet
United Kingdom

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jay_schweet
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

I have never been to a resort where so many inconveniences happen at once. The first day we got there, the bathrooms and air conditioner were not working. It was about 100 degrees outside so you can only imagine the heat inside the room. We complained and didn't get any help until the next day. The day before we left, someone broke into my brothers room and stole his camera, his colognes, his watches and even his toothpaste! We had everything packed, so someone looked through his bag and took all his valuables. The resort said they were not responsible yet they have no cameras in the hallways. It was a traumatizing experience and it saddens me to say that your belongings aren't safe. Never again!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank Linelly D
new york
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here in march of this year, I was skeptical at first what I pay was not much compared to other places I had stayed in puerto plata, I frequently visit dominican republic and I was surprised on how woderful this place was, first check in was fast when we arrived it was crowded but in 10 minutes I was given the key to my room I was upgraded to superior room at no additional charge. My room was very clean with a balcony and a beautiful view to the beach,only issue I had with the room was the two beds push together I would had rather prefer a king size bed which is
more comfortable the beach is beautiful lots of palm trees plenty of chairs the bahia of maimon is such an enchanting place very romantic, the pools were
very crowded I prefer not to go in, this place has like 3 bars the main one was next to the lobby and another next to the pool the third was a little farther away,you can always go to the bars at riu merengue which is next to bachata the only complain I have is that the only beer served at the bar is brahma which I dont like too much I prefer presidente beer which is the national beer, the food was my biggest suprise so much variety and plentiful for what I paid for it was excellent I can honestly say its a great value for your money,salad bar is excellent lots of fruits vegetables chicken meats,cheeses wonderful! I had stayed at many resorts such as grand oasis marien and by far the food was by far better at riu bachata,nightlife me as being latino love salsa,bachata this resort has a night club lots of latin music and american music however you must pay for drinks,the bartender try to rip me off he purposely droping a $100 pesos(3 american dollars)on the floor and then ask me to pay again I told him in spanish that he drop it on the floor and he say ok sorry..guess he though I was too drunk,so just be alert my fellow travelers, ignore the bad reviews and if you still skeptical I can assure you will have a great time take from someone who travels here since 2007 this resort is a good value for the money with great customer service very nice people this review will be the closest to reality and if you dont agreed send me a private message thank you.

• Stayed March 2014
Be Live Collection Marien
#9 of 39 in Puerto Plata
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#6 of 39 in Puerto Plata

Been to ClubHotel Riu Bachata? Share your experiences!