“Sue & Bill Nova Scotia 4 Star”

ClubHotel Riu Bachata
Ranked #11 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Halifax, Canada
“Sue & Bill Nova Scotia 4 Star”
Reviewed 31 March 2009

We stayed Mar. 12th-26th. Staff and grounds were awesome. Room also very good. There isn' a coffee maker, bathroom fan, or ironing facilities in room. Coffee is aways available though. Swim up bar is non smoking, but they will give you an ashtray if you want to go to the poolside. Very windy and no swimming at the beach (too much coral), perhaps at Mambo sister property. Sound system in the theatre is lousy, but the entertainment is great. Animation staff-AWESOME! Even in the rain they will accomadate you. Bartenders and reception also very ,very good. Secret beach to the left of the property nice and beach cheapy huts there as well as to the right of Mambo. No smoking anymore in the buffets. You can buy an adaptor for the outlets for $2.00 US in the gift shop. If your remote doesn't work, it's not the batteries. Do this-press CODE ,TV ,190 , INTRO. There are lots of hangers, drawers and a balcony pull out clothes line. I still took plastic hangers as we were there 2 weeks. All rooms have an umbrella in the closet, please leave it there for the next people. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have more questions, always like to help. wrights1@ns.sympatico.ca

3 Thank SueNovaScotia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,052)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 29 March 2009

Both my boyfriend and I have traveled to many places around the world and stayed at many great hotels. Out of all the great places we have stayed at we have never felt the need to write a review on any of them but the Riu. This hotel had great entertainment, food, rooms and a great atmosphere at a great price. We originally booked the Riu Mambo but after one night we got upgraded to the Bachata. Everything was basically the same between the two hotels. The only difference was the Bachata had a better pool area.

Rooms: The rooms nice and clean and much bigger than rooms we have stayed in over in Europe. AC wasn’t the best but really wasn’t anything to complain about. Also the bed wasn’t that comfortable but it really wasn’t a big problem. The refrigerators were always full of beer, soda, water. There was also liquor available in the room to use at no cost. Overall, the rooms were very clean with a nice bathroom and patio or balcony.

Entertainment: The animation team was amazing! They made the trip sooo much fun for people of all ages. My boyfriend and I are 21 and we had a great time with people of all ages at the hotel. The team never bothered us if we didn’t want to participate in the games so we never felt uncomfortable. Don’t miss crazy games at the Bachata pool at 4:00 because they always were a good time. The shows at night were extremely funny! You must attend the night shows that had participants from the audience because they were comical. The host at the RIU Mereange was extremely funny as well. Cappuccino and Chicken Little are two guys who are apart of the animation team and they were great. Everyone at the hotel was extremely friendly and personable. Tip them well!

Food: Food was great every night. There was something for everybody. The fish was amazing and very fresh every night. I have nothing but good things to say about the food. They constantly switched up the themes so that the food wasn’t repetitive. The food was always served on little plates so that the food was never cold. We never ate at the steakhouse or Italian restaurant because of other reviews and what people have said while we were there.

Beach: The beach was very nice with lots of shaded areas. The water was a bit rocky but it never bothered us. If you have a snorkel bring it because the ocean was full of coral reefs.

Staff: The staff was extremely nice and kept the Riu very clean. There were people raking the beach daily and constantly picking up leaves and garbage.

Drinks: If you like to drink make sure you bring your own big mugs. This makes the beer stay cold and keeps you from having to make a lot of trips to the bar.

Transportation: We took a cab to and from the airport and were charges $50 each way. I would find out how to take the shared bus transportation because it was $52 for two people round trip.

Overall our stay at the Riu was amazing!! We had a lot of fun and tons of laughs. For the price we paid we were not expecting as much as we really received. Certain things in this hotel were not five star but other areas made up for it. The rooms were nice but not extravagant. The food, the staff and entrainment were definitely five star. I would recommend this vacation for people of all ages because there is something to do with everyone.

London Ontario
Reviewed 27 March 2009

First of all, this is not a 5 star hotel, and the rating does need to be changed so that people do not have too high of expectations.

Things that need to be done in order to make this a 5 star:

ROOMS need to be better quality i.e. more comfortable beds, better linens (bedspreads were not only ugly, but old looking), mini bar should be stocked daily, should have coffee makers in the room. Other 5 stars that we've stayed at had bathrobes, slippers and better amenities.

FOOD- good but not great, should be of better quality for a 5 star. Also, they need to change the reservation system for the a la cartes as 7 am is ridiculous, 5 star guests really don't appreciate having to be up so early, and often the reservations are full by 8 am! The buffet is very crowded all the time. Perhaps the other resorts shouldn't be allowed to eat in there at all, maybe just use the snack bars in order to cut down on the number of people that are being served. The staff can't really keep up with removing dirty dishes and bringing you drinks etc.

BARS- the drinks are the typical sugary stuff that you get at a lower star rated hotel, definitely not of any quality. They don't carry Baileys or other quality drinks, and that is expected at a 5 star. There is one bar (near the casino) that use real glasses. They open around 5 pm or so. It is very strange that they have staff picking up glasses, but they don't bring you drinks, you have to go to the bar for one. Does this sound like a 5 star?

SHOWS-okay, typical for that type of resort, but I've seen better. Not a big deal to me though either way. I liked that they had some pre entertainment-couple singing and the guests danced to their music. It filled some time after supper.

Pool- nice looking, but crowded. I think a resort of this size needs several pools at each of the hotels.

Beach- loved the palm trees, plenty of shade (or sun), lots of lounge chairs. Only issue is that anywhere you sit is far from the bars and the bathrooms.

We thought the landscaping was beautiful, lots of palm trees, shrubs etc, very nice to walk around and enjoy.

Casino is very small, not too exciting.

For a resort of this size the gym needs to be much, much larger and the equipment needs to be upgraded.

Prices on Carribbean Street are high, but we found when we went in to the city they were high as well. Sometimes you can get them down in price, but not enough to make it worthwhile. Best bet for shopping is the shacks on the beach on the Bachata side. I got a large painting for $25, and they were asking $75-$85 on Carribbean St and in town. You will have to work to get this price though. There are shacks on the other end as well, but since they are more visible, I think they get more business and maybe not as willing to negotiate.

Hair Braiding- I paid $30 US, my hair is chin length. I had it done on the resort, near the children's play area. There are beach vendors that do hair braiding as well, but I met a couple with 2 little girls, and they paid the same as I did.

Taxis- expensive compared to other places, but if you go as a group a lot more affordable. It was $40 US to go to Puerto Plata (maybe only 5-7 km or so away) then you have to tip your guide. We were 5 people, so not so bad. It was a nice change from the resort, we saw the rum factory and had a tour, saw a cigar factory and jewellery factory, saw a beautiful church, did some shopping.

There are lots of people everywhere, no place to sit away from the crowds anywhere. This may be fine for some, but I like a place that is less busy.

We got a really good price on this vacation and I read the reviews thoroughly, so I wasn't expecting a 5 star, and was relatively happy with the resort. I just think you should be expecting a 4 star, and the rating needs to be changed so people are aware. We also had a rainy week, so I am probably being a little more harsh then if the weather had been sunny and warm. I really believe that a vacation is mainly about the weather (and I'm not blaming the hotel for that).

5 Thank trishiepooh
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 26 March 2009

Myself , my wife and 6 other family members just returned from the RIU Bachata after a 1 week stay (Mar. 19 to Mar. 26).
We arrived at the hotel at about 11:20am & check in was a breeze. We gathered in the lobby while one of the front desk people explained our envelopes we received with our towel cards, safe key and room key. Yes...you only get one. Our luggage was taken to our room by a porter and our room was just finished when we got there, but we'd brought our bathing suits to get ready right away to hit the pool. We locked up our valuables and off we went.
I'll break down the rest by category.
ROOMS:
Decent size. 2 half doubles pushed together to form a "king". Not the best mattresses and the sheets could've used a couple of cycles with some fabric softener. Bathroom was clean. Not much water pressure in the shower and several of my wife & my washroom "experiences" required 2 flushes. Enough said. TV had almost 100 channels. 90% of them Spanish but CNN, ABC, & NBC were available.
The mini bar is nothing special. 2 Pepsi, 1 Diet , 2 Tonic, 1 Club Soda, and 2 Brahma (DR beer) and a 4 liter jug of drinking water. As stated in many other reviews they "refresh" every 2 days. I left $2 the 1st day with a note for extra beer and got 2 extra. The liquor in room is bottom shelf. I brought some duty free vodka but really not much use for the liquor. We drank the pop, water and beer but that was all. AC worked fine and the musty smell everyone refers to was minimal.
FOOD & BEVERAGE:
This is my area of expertise as I work in this part of the hospitality industry and have for over 20 years. The food is good. Don't pay attention to any review that says it isn't. It's not going to taste like home because you're NOT AT HOME. There is a huge variety of things to eat at all meal times with the exception of breakfast, but there's only so much to offer at breakfast. They are big on pork here. You don't come across much beef and chicken is served sporadically. They do offer some fish(usually with bones) and had calamari and mussels on 2 different nights at dinner. Lunch is pretty much the same at the snack bar near the pool as it is in the dining room without the crowds so I'd suggest going there. The a la carte is just OK as has been said before. The best thing about it is it's a quiet alternative to the hustle and bustle of the buffet every night.
The booze again is bottom shelve but they will make you anything you want. I don't recommend the "tip the bartender and they'll be all over you" scenerio. It seemed to me that they have 4 to 6 bartenders on every bar at peak times so you really never get the same one every time. Leave a tip when you want. My biggest issue is this property has no place to sit and have a quiet drink. The animation team is ALWAYS doing something near either of the bars. Our 2nd last evening we went over to the Mambo and found a spot near their a la carte restaurant and enjoyed a quiet time. The wine isn't very good as has been mentioned and I would suggest they offer by the bottle selctions you can pay for as an alternative. I know people would buy it.
GROUNDS AND OUTDOOR FACILITIES:
The beach sucks. It's a quiet alternative to the business of the pool but swimming really isn't an option. It was "Red flagged" 6 of 7 days we were there anyway. Yes...it's better toward the Mambo but it's too far from the rooms unless you're sure you have everything you want and don't need to go back for a few hours.
Yes, you have to reserve your pool chairs before breakfast, although prepare to be crowded. They ask that you supervise your children but it didn't seem like anyone did. Kids constantly splashing and running around. SITTING AT THE SWIM UP BAR!?? I would suggest a kids pool.
Grounds are immaculate and not a long walk to get anywhere within the resort.
AMMENITIES:
The resort has virtually anything you need on site. Internet, store (with everthing you could think of for sale), food etc. Although they say there are snacks available 24hrs. a day other than the late night snack bar at the Meringue (open 'til 2am) it's stale ham & cheese with a platter of fruit left over from dinner. Usually not much left either remembering there is 1500 people on property.
Hang on to some of your US cash! There is an ATM up at the front gate of the property (really inconvenient location) but we couldn't get any money out. There is no way to get US$ unless you go to town. I would suggest checking with your bank to see if they're on the network. My wife used her TD card in Brazil so we were rather surprised.
Overall a good first experience in the DR. The Bachata advertizes itself as 5 stars but I would give it much more than 4. Excellent value for the money.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Trippy66
Kansas
Reviewed 25 March 2009

Rooms-Very nice and clean. Double beds are more like full beds-Very small and hard.
Food-Very good; a lot of variety for each meal. Someone is bound to find something they like at each meal. The banana smoothies are awesome for breakfast. Also, the banana mama's are very good that you can get at any bar. Need to try a drink called mamajuana and amaretto-Great sipper. Make sure to tell the bartenders you would like extra rum or vodka in your drinks. Most premade drinks do not have any alcohol in them. The wine at lunch and dinner is not what you are typically used to. Seemed watered down.
Grounds-Immaculate
Beaches-Bachata is very rocky-Need water shoes. Merengue is better, but Mambo is the best beach. No rocks.
Kayaking-Great to go in over the ocean waves. Need to be careful as there are very sharp rocks where you kayak. Definitely need water shoes so if you tip over, the sharp rocks will not cut your feet. Definitely worth it.
Pools-Bachata has the best pools. Swim up bar is definitely worth it. Lenny is awesome.
Catamaran Cruise from Bachata-It is okay. Nice to get away from the beach but I don't think it was worth the price. Paid $75US each person. If you do go on this cruise, bring candy or pencils, paper, crayons for the village people/kids that you will meet. Very friendly and very eye opening.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Adventurous123
San Francisco
Reviewed 16 March 2009

Maybe I was a little spoiled having stayed at the Riu Palace in Los Cabos, but I thought this hotel was only mediocre. I traveled here with some friends to party and have fun, but there were a lot of kids and not a lot of young adults. We ended up traveling outside the hotel a lot to enjoy the nightlife. The food was good, but there wasn't much of a selection. After a couple days, I ventured out for dinners.

There were some pluses though. The location was nice and the beach is definitely better than Cabo because the water was warm and mellow. Another big plus is the proximity to the other Riu hotels. I didn't realize that they were situated right next to each other, so it was nice to be able to hang out at the beach and get a drink for any of the other hotels.

Overall, I would go back to this hotel and I would recommend this hotel if I had a family.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
4 Thank klblau
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 14 March 2009

Price - I got a great deal because the economy has been rough. I think it cost roughly US$70 per person per night.

Food - Better than most, but still a little rough. It is the first hotel I've seen where the buffett was better than the sit-down restaurants.

Service - This is their strongest point. The service was second to none and very friendly. The animation team is among the most dedicated dedicated, although the nightly shows are not that great. The maid service was top notch.

Beach - Very nicely kept and quiet.

Rooms - Typical...very well kept.

Amenities - Nothing exciting. The Casino is typical. Many service bars, which is convenient. The Lobby is very nice.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
Sunscape Bavaro Beach Punta Cana
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#6 of 40 in Puerto Plata

Been to ClubHotel Riu Bachata? Share your experiences!